Greedy in the dining room ?

I have ordered multiple appetizers, multiple main courses and multiple desserts without issue. Each time, they've been more than happy to oblige; you won't have any issue doing the same.

I agree. The servers want you happy so you'll leave a bigger tip at the end of the cruise. So of course they're more than happy to bring you all the extra servings you would like. Nothing wrong with it at all. You're on vacation. Enjoy yourself. You already paid for the food with your cruise fare.

Thank you ALL for replying - every post is appreciated.

Really looking forward to it now - I just can't even begin to imagine what the whole vacation is going to be like!! It's cost so much and for it to be finally here.. almost.. it's becoming unreal!

Have a WONDERFUL cruise! And don't be shy when ordering! That is one of my favorite things about cruising!

PS - you can even check out the kid's menu. They have some fried mozzarella cheese sticks that are to die for! :D Great appetizer!

This thread should be combined with the $14.95 steak thread. I believe this thread is the answer to that one.

I was thinking the same thing. Will not be long before you will be charged for a second helping.

I usually do not even order a dessert because I can barely eat all they serve you at dinner.

I agree. The servers want you happy so you'll leave a bigger tip at the end of the cruise.

The waiters actually see very little of that "extra tip" you leave them. It's split among all the others employees as well. :(

I think a lot of the posts on here stem from the difference between British and American attitudes to food.

It is not just on cruise ships but also in restaurants in the USA. When we were there we commented on how big the portions were and we were told that it is not really expected for you to finish it. Americans never seem to completely clear their dinner plate. Is it considered impolite to eat it all?

I have no problem with people ordering extra. I just hate to see all those plates half full of food going back to the kitchen.

The same happens at the buffet at breakfast and lunch. You see people with a mountain of food on their plate and they just leave half of it.

Another point is that, on occasions, I have been told at the late seating that a particularly popular item was all gone. If the people at the first seating hadn't ordered 5 lobster tails then there might have been some left.

If you truly are hungry then by all means order extra but not because you want to just 'taste' it or brag about the amount you ordered.

• 4 weeks later...
We were seated at dinner with a mom and grandmother, and two little girls. To keep the kids busy and quiet, the mom ordered one of everything. The kids' food took up a lot of the table, and the kids ended up switching seats sometimes to get to it all. Pretty funny, but it does make one feel a little sick to see such excess and think of all those starving children in China that our parents told us about.

with that sentiment i would forgo the cruise entirely and donate the money to a charity that feeds the poor.

the food will only be thrown away...it is not saved in the galley for the starving children in africa. the chinese can take care of their own by building fewer submarines.

You may order as much as you like of any or all offerings just don't be wasteful. If you just want to "taste" a dish, ask your waiter to bring you a half portion and they will be happy to oblige. As far as room service, make sure you tip your server for each delivery. Cruised with 9 young people (21 or younger) this summer and they all brought dollar bills and fives to tip room service waiters. Common courtesy should determine the amount of your tip based on the amount of food ordered. Our first cruise in 2000 the kids built a tower of trays from room service while the adults were at a show. We could see it from all the way down at the end of the hall and laughed hilariously until we realized that it was outside OUR room! But they tipped each and every time.

I still remember our big family cruise for my parents 50 th anniversary.

My brother was hemming and hawing over which dessert to have - the waiter brought him one of everything. We all had a big laugh and of course we took lots of pictures. My husband and I often each order one and trade half way through so we can taste more than one. Its all fun!!

Regards,

Shari :-)

Just off Mariner last Sunday. We found the portion sizes to be way smaller than last year.....you almost had to order 2 meat or vegetable portions. The desserts have definately shrunk as well. And I'm not a big eater !

Not such a bad thing. I always have trouble choosing and I never thought about asking for smaller portions as a side dish. Having smaller portions to start is not a bad thing - that way we can try a lot more items. :D

If I order a second of something, and usually it is desert, it is because I like it or the helping is too small. Last cruise I had 2 deserts with every dinner. Sometimes the second desert was only an ice cream ( which I thought was very good). One gentleman had three lobsters one night because they were so small. The waiters are always eager to help. So enjoy yourself and pack some larger clothes. Good Sailing, Murf

Did you have the Mohave desert and the sahara desert? Just kidding!!

Just off Mariner last Sunday. We found the portion sizes to be way smaller than last year.....you almost had to order 2 meat or vegetable portions. The desserts have definately shrunk as well. And I'm not a big eater !

Unless they've gotten smaller than a few years ago (which I can't imagine):eek: It does cut down on a lot of wasted food. You can inquire how large the portion is & specify extra of any item. I know the vegetables portions are a joke at times & I think they just add them on the plate for decoration.

Oh Boy - I shouldn't have this thread - it's Yom Kippur today (Jewish day of atonement) and I am sooooooo hungry :rolleyes:

Ditto. Happy New Year.

Mind you, following the wonderful food on board Independence with the extra portions of anything last week, a day without is certainly called for. That is the only problem with the availability of food 24/7; by the end of the 2 weeks I did forego desserts. Honest.

Archived