Greedy in the dining room ?

I guess I come from a time & family where we didn't waste a thing - and even today we don't. Talking to a waiter on our last cruise about the waste & he said during his first week or so he was sickened by the amount of food being thrown out at the buffet but had gotten to accept it. :rolleyes:

Whilst everyone is entitled to do whatever they so please - after all they've paid for their cruise. I for one feel embarrassed when I see people ordering way more than they need........will eat......... and really............want. I get the feeling in some cases it becomes a bragging match to see who can order the most.

Like I said, I'm not interested in preaching to anyone. Its just my opinion, just watch the news at 6pm to see all the children etc who have nothing and then tell me its ok to order everything on the menu and take a a few bites from each plate.

Sorry to be a spoilsport on what I can see is a intended as a light hearted thread.

On one of our cruises, I really wanted to try the pasta but didn't want it for my main meal. I asked if I could have a small plate of pasta for my appetizer and they said sure. I was able to have a taste of the pasta I wanted and the entre I wanted without having a full portion of the pasta.

If there are two things I want and will eat, I will request them. I'm thinking if I get the strawberry shortcake, I will also have to get ice cream because I just can't imagine strawberry shortcake without ice cream.:D

I'm sooooo excited about it! Off to Orlando next May and unsure wether to do a 3 day Bahama with RCCL, seeing how I like the LOS , then I may book it whilst onboard.. Or if not RCCL , it would be Carnival.

BTW I assure you all , there would be no waste. One of my biggest pet hates if I go out to eat.. people wasting food! Same at home really.

Since we usually travel as a family (of adults), we order not only for ourselves but also for our table (we call it "Starvin' Marvin"). So no one starves at our table. We share the extra entree(s) so we can all get a taste. (And, of course, you can always go up to the Windjammer to try the food up there after your regular meal!!:D )

One thing you might remember: It would be a kindness to your servers (if you know ahead of time you plan on multiple entrees) to order them all at the same time since otherwise you would be interrupting the flow of their service to your table and the other tables they serve. That's not to say they would refuse - just saying it makes it easier for them.

Have a wonderful cruise. I can pretty much guarantee it won't be your last!:D

On one of our cruises, I really wanted to try the pasta but didn't want it for my main meal. I asked if I could have a small plate of pasta for my appetizer and they said sure. I was able to have a taste of the pasta I wanted and the entre I wanted without having a full portion of the pasta.

If there are two things I want and will eat, I will request them. I'm thinking if I get the strawberry shortcake, I will also have to get ice cream because I just can't imagine strawberry shortcake without ice cream.:D

That's the way Sitmar used to do it years ago. A separate past course & you could ask for a much or little as you wanted.

We have always ordered multiple dishes on cruises. I even got four lobster tails last week - they're pretty small and I wasn't interested in any of the appetizers that night. So much of that food goes to waste anyway, so why not?

I know the size you're referring to & 4 isn't all that much.

Maybe a bit of an odd question.

For example - There are two desserts you really want - could you order both? For yourself? :o Anyone had experiences where they or table mates have done this?!

Any replies muchly appreciated.

YUP!! Actually grand marnier souffle and cherries jubilee are on the same night...(darned RC!!:D ) so mom and i each get a souffle and split the cherries.....YUM! [actually, it's in the Cruise Contract...you have to get both or you are tossed off the ship in the middle of the night!]:p

If there's a certain desert that you really like just talk to the head waiter. We just got off the Freedom and had Cherries Jubilee every night in addition to another desert that's on the menu.

WHY did you HAVE to tell me that!!!:D :) .....sheesh. i forgot i could do that.....probably a good thing though [forgetting i mean......:rolleyes: ]

One thing we noticed on RCI was that they list all their soups, salads and appetizers together, so it looks like dinner is a 3-course meal (at one time, these each would be a course).

We knew from CC that we could order what we wanted, so we alway got 2 appetizers, making it a 4-course meal (we have second seating, often don't eat lunch if we are in port, and find the portions are good but not huge).

On our last cruise, we had our first tablemates and they were on their first cruise. The first few nights, they had 3 courses but then the got into the swing of things- the husband would get 2 appetizers AND a salad. It was also a repro cruise with new menus so we started to order 2 desserts to try some, and often asked for some a la mode. Our server just started to ask which oneS we wanted each night :D It did make our 4-top table a little crowded but we enjoyed discovering new things on the menu and rarely left too much to feel guilty about;)

Enjoy! It is your vacation and the servers will do what they can to make sure you enjoy it.

I had to respond to this one! On my annual "girls cruise" (about 8-10 of us ladies) we usually have our waiter trained by the the second night to bring our table one of each dessert for us to sample. You should see the whirl wind of desserts making the way around the table for everyone to taste. If any of us happens to sample one that we "have to have" we'll order our own dessert, but usually just all the sampling is enough. This is one of the highlights of our cruise experience!

We seem to be always on a diet when we're not on a cruise, so our annual girls cruise is the one chance we get to splurge. Only one time (on a Carnival cruise) did our waiter ever say anything negative when we tried to order a second entree. We haven't had that problem on RCI, so lots of times we'll also order another appetizer or entree to sample.

It's your vacation so don't let anyone make you feel guilty. I say go for it and enjoy!!!

Thank you ALL for replying - every post is appreciated.

Really looking forward to it now - I just can't even begin to imagine what the whole vacation is going to be like!! It's cost so much and for it to be finally here.. almost.. it's becoming unreal!

We are usually really hungry for dinner (late seating) as we don't eat very much for lunch. I have found the portions are kind of on the small side, so no problem ordering 2 entrees.

On one of our Mariner cruises, our waiter told us that she (and the other crew members) got to eat what was left over for dinner. She told us if they didn't have very much left over, she didn't get to eat much. I would hope they feed their staff better than that!

I love the chilled strawberry bisque so much that my waiter brought it to me in a large glass! It was like a wonderful strawberry smoothie! After that, every evening he would bring what ever fruit bisque they offered in a glass. :)

I agree with a previous poster who said to make it a little easier on your waiter by ordering your doubles at the beginning - it's quite a hike from the back of the dining room to the kitchen area!

Have fun and definitely have some escargot and strawberry bisque for me!!

Thank you ALL for replying - every post is appreciated.

Really looking forward to it now - I just can't even begin to imagine what the whole vacation is going to be like!! It's cost so much and for it to be finally here.. almost.. it's becoming unreal!

Ste,

As a fellow Brit from the North West thought I'd let you know that I think you've made the best choice possible for your cruise.

My DW and I cruised Liberty last November and it was fantastic. We leave on the Freedom the day after you go on Liberty and we're really excited! If you need any advice on any aspect please don't hesitate to ask......I spent months on CC prior to our first cruise researching everything!

Another reason parents shouldn't make food a 'battleground' issue with kids.

No - I think everyone eats too much on these cruises:D :p :D Actually, I have often thought of ordering more than one dessert but a picture of my father's disapproving face at childhood dinner tables always puts me off:(

On the Grandeur last month we were a table of 4 DH, me, DH & 2 sons 19 & 23. At the table of 4 next to us was a college aged girl who ordered 3 appetizers every night without missing a beat. They would bring her 2 soup choices in small cups on one plate. the waiter never blinked..

Now he never offered to bring any of us to have more than one of anything if we were having trouble deciding..but I don't think it would have been a problem. We didn't have the greatest waiter though...seems we always have the best most personable assistant waiters & bored, distant, uninterested waiters.

I think they serve the best selections early on in the cruise....then down hill from there. The vidalia onion tart was very good...I asked the next night if there might be a piece in the kitchen somewhere...& he grunted at me that wasn't there something off the menu I could choose. Better luck to you! Enjoy!

While I have never ordered two things, except for desert (and, yes, I will finish both), on a few of our cruises our waiter got to know my eating habits well. I am a very fast eater, and i finish EVERYTHING. I have had seconds, or other choices, placed in front of me after the last bite of the first entree was in my mouth (my favorite was the two prime rib dinner :o ). I have always finished the seconds, and tip well to the waiter that acknowledges my eating habits. (We eat light all day, and by late seating, we are HUNGRY.) No late night snacks for me. I am full up until morning! :D

We have no qualms about ordering two of .....anything. A previous poster mentioned that they might ask for a "side" of an entree, usually pasta. I do that frequently. If there is a pasta dish and a seafood dish that catches my attention, then I go for both! And yes, then we usually wash it down with a couple of deserts:)

Ste,

As a fellow Brit from the North West thought I'd let you know that I think you've made the best choice possible for your cruise.

My DW and I cruised Liberty last November and it was fantastic. We leave on the Freedom the day after you go on Liberty and we're really excited! If you need any advice on any aspect please don't hesitate to ask......I spent months on CC prior to our first cruise researching everything!

Hey ,

Cheers for the post - Was curious if I'd be one of the only Brits onboard. Guessing I might not be.

Have a great trip on the Freedom mate.

I often have 2 desserts. One time a table mate always ordered 2 entrees and with chicken or seafood he had white wine and with his red meat he had red wine. Another time a table mate asked for key lime pie and our server brought the whole table key lime pie every night. Thats the only time I eat dessert so I enjoy it.

Jan

It's not "piggish" or "greedy" to deviate from one person's standard of "one appetizer, one main course, one dessert".

For instance: On Friday night I had four things from the "starter" list, no entree and no dessert. I just felt like eating those things. (if anyone cares, it was berry soup, duck consommé, shrimp cocktail and spinach dip). There was Caesar Salad served family style, also.

Another night, I had one appetizer and two entrees and no dessert.

Another night, a soup, an appetizer, a salad and an entree.

I am not a pig, and I was not displaying bad manners.

Those of you who make nasty comments on this thread are just narrow-minded and misguided. (and yes, those are euphemisms in this instance :rolleyes: )

We turned our dinners into 4 course meals by ordering soup and a starter, though both are listed under starters...

Our waiter brought an extra plate with nothing but lobster tails on lobster night...

And knowing my um, "affection" for chocolate, made sure to bring a chocolate dessert for me each evening... If I couldn't eat it, he would pack it "to go" complete with cloth napkin and fork... later in the room, we'd order glasses of milk to go with it...

Chops did the same thing ... I just couldn't pass up the mud pie but by the time we finished dinner, there was NO WAY I was going to get it down then, so they packed it to go...

On the Grandeur last month we were a table of 4 DH, me, DH & 2 sons 19 & 23. At the table of 4 next to us was a college aged girl who ordered 3 appetizers every night without missing a beat. They would bring her 2 soup choices in small cups on one plate. the waiter never blinked..

Now he never offered to bring any of us to have more than one of anything if we were having trouble deciding..but I don't think it would have been a problem. We didn't have the greatest waiter though...seems we always have the best most personable assistant waiters & bored, distant, uninterested waiters.

I think they serve the best selections early on in the cruise....then down hill from there. The vidalia onion tart was very good...I asked the next night if there might be a piece in the kitchen somewhere...& he grunted at me that wasn't there something off the menu I could choose. Better luck to you! Enjoy!

Oh, no, no, NO; you had a bum waiter! No tip that day for him!!

Anyway, we've been mixing and matching our dinner orders since cruise #1. You have to ask, because they won't offer unless they know it's your habit to do so.

For instance, DH usually orders the pasta selection as a side dish with his entree. After a few nights, the waiter asks if he wants it.

I usually order two appetizers, and skip the soup. We both will order two desserts if there are two we really, really want.

Yes, order at one time to make it easier on them.

Also, let your head waiter know any repeat requests, and HE will see to it you get it the next night or in a few days. Ordering what's not on the menu is not a good idea, but letting them know ahead is fine. I usually ask the head waiter if he can arrange another night of escargots for me. Yum!!

Get your Moms, Dad, and Grands out of your heads people. It's not like you're doing this every day: it's a special situation, and you should enjoy it as much as possible.

Archived