What are you doing about airfares?

They're really high right now for our travel next spring. I'm really tempted to wait and see what the winter sales bring.

But, by the same token, I really don't see them going anywhere but up based on market conditions where there are reduced inventories and increased operating costs.

Come on, most of you are smarter than me. Give me some hope. :(

They're really high right now for our travel next spring. I'm really tempted to wait and see what the winter sales bring.

But, by the same token, I really don't see them going anywhere but up based on market conditions where there are reduced inventories and increased operating costs.

We have service by Southwest here in the Philly area. I always fly them to Florida for cruising.

They can be counted on to have terrific sales....but, you must be quick to get them..... I just booked my December cruise air Philly/Ft. Lauderdale and got it for 79.00 each way plus tax. ...and they don't charge for luggage...................

Just keep checking the websites and fares from your city.......then, when you find a price you can live with, book it.

I bought our jetblue flights back in April - and checking on flights just today - prices are the same as they were in April.

We're just forgoing flying--they new rates, the restrictions...it's insane. It's worse than traveling in a cattle car. If more folks would just say "NO" to flying, they would HAVE to change their ways!

I know that fuel is more expensive, but putting 400 folks in a space meant for 300 is ridiculous! And then charging us because we want a change of clothes....

Just don't do it!

If enough folks stop buying into their stratagy, it WILL work!

Supply and demand---that's what drives our markets! If you don't HAVE to fly, DON'T!!!!!

We recently needed to travel somewhere but found flying Southwest was cheaper than driving. We fly Southwest and also watch their "Ding" for extra deals. If they don't fly someplace, we don't go there. Our last cruise airfare was almost free.:D

As I see you are doing a Baltic cruise next spring you're talking about international flights vs only domestic flights. Since you're from SoCal having to fly across the country before flying overseas have you thought of looking into booking flights on less expensive domestic carriers to the east coast and then booking flights from that city overseas? Its more work and one has to be careful of times and maybe even spend the night in one of the east coast cities but can sometimes save money. Just a thought.:)

We're NOT FLYING!!!!! If more folks would just not use them, they would HAVE to lower their prices and increase their service!

Don't fly!

If airlines were making money, this might work. Alas, they're not, and it won't.

Driving vs Flying?

I had responded a few weeks back saying my wife and I were planning on driving from Boston to Ft. Lauderdale because a flight to FL was a minimum of $550. We are going on a New Years cruise and I know it would be more money but I refused to give the airline that much money. I know the whole supply and demand issue..but as Donald Trump once said if I could make money in the airline business I would have owned an airline.

We found a flight out of NY to Orlando for $280 round trip(after taxes). I guess my point here is if your thinking about driving maybe try different airports. I know in the end it may cost more to fly to another airport and rent a car each way but I am just not going to five an airline over $550 for a 2 1/2 hour flight.

We booked an April 09 cruise and are waiting for Southwest to post their April rates. Southwest definitely has the cheapest prices but you have to book fast. I check every morning and have budgeted $300 pp rt. If I can't get a flight for less than $300 pp we are prepared to drive the 24 hours from Boston to Florida (which we have done before). It will cost approximately $600 to drive straight through and back. Come on Southwest don't let me down!!!:D

I have booked the air and transfers through Carnival, I have the option to cancel that up to Jan. 24th. We are cruising For Easter 4/11/09 . I have not really seen any airfare cheaper. If I book my own airfare then I have to worry about transfers or a rental car. I am waiting it out. If I find something I will cancel. It was about 375.00pp which includes shuttle from airport. I did not think that was too bad for Easter week.

There are a lot of people who don't like cruise air for various reasons. They might come in cheaper (sometimes), but often there are compromises to be made when it comes to scheduling and routing.

Cruise air for my own trip came in a $2000pp, $500 more than booking it myself. So that's a non-starter for me, especially with the aforementioned compromise (potentially).

However, I never thought about booking just to be safe in having something under the belt. The airline we use generally has a sale in January, though I don't remember it being valid for fares as late as June/July. Perhaps that's something I need to look at in greater detail. Would definitely need to be cancellable though.

Burning airline miles & using free tickets. For our 8/30/08 Alaska cruise, we used free tickets from SWA that expired yesterday. :)

For our Canada/New England cruise next month, we are using free United "bump" tickets that we got last Christmas for giving up our seats.

Between various airlines, I have almost 750K airline miles to burn. When RT tickets for Los Angeles to Europe were $300-$500 all in for 2001-2005, I flew alot. Also Asia tickets under $500 in 2002/2003. And most upgrades went through. :)

Then prices went way up along with the taxes. :mad: Now, I am in the "burn" mode.

I got a "one day" sale from Delta over the internet last week, and I paid $190.00 round trip from Kansas City, Mo. to Long Beach, CA. January 2009. That same flight today is $415.00...

Last January, I flew From Kansas City, Mo to Ft. Lauderdale and it was $225.00 RT.. So actually I am getting a better deal this year than last!

I guess what I am saying is, sign up for those farewatchers, and when you see one, if you see one that is discounted GRAB IT... I am sure glad I did..

Archived