Roll Call - Christmas Markets 2008 - all lines, all dates

AZPam

DH is a retired Army officer. His battalion has a reunion every July, and it moves around the country. 2006 was Scottsdale. (2007 was Philadelphia, 2008 St Louis, and 2009 is Reno....heaven help us). We rented a car and decided to explore Arizona.

QUOTE]

At least the hotel had to be cheap for July in Scottsdale! LOL Thanks for the web site, I will have to check it out. Donkeys, burros, same to me. They both have such cute faces! I hope you at least did some exploring up in the mountains where the weather is nice in July.

There is a great listing of European Christmas Market dates at www.christmasmarkets.com. This list was very valuable to me in planning an upcoming market trip/cruise.

Another great web site! And it's great to see so many of them start in mid to late November. Hopefully there will still be some good stuff for me to bring home when I get there.

My dear hubby, who lived in Germany for four years with the US Army, read this thread at my suggestion, and offers this:

One more comment would be to try the shashlik (spiced meat on a stick) and

Zweibelkuchen (onion pie). Very tasty And if in the Wurtzburgarea be sure to try the local Franken wine.

For the OP who was deciding between a Christmas cruise and a Rhine Castle cruise, if you do the itinerary for the Rhine Christmas cruise you also get to view the castles from your ship. I would go with the Christmas cruise just because if its going to be that cold outside, it might as well be Christmas :p

Since we've been talking about the markets I just had to go back and look at my photos from our river cruise years ago.

Here are some that capture the Christmas markets. That life-size carousel thing (not sure of the exact name) serves the best gluwein in Heidelburg!

christmasmkt.jpg.100d954ceeee0ecc939ffd882e7827ce.jpg

christmasmkt3.jpg.6f5d0b1082717aaef006d88e5e2c5ab6.jpg

christmasmkt2.jpg.03dfecfcfd3e86541a7df76dfe281750.jpg

christmasmkt4.jpg.5d6ccfe9dfe6ddb2eea51d14153adf6f.jpg

Until reading this thread, I had never thought about checking on Christmas market river cruises! Thanks for starting this thread and for all the useful inforamtion!

A few questions I have........What is the evening dress code on the cruises? Are there formal nights? Are the best dates for these Christmas cruises the first three weeks of December??

Hi Pam,

Yaya and Papu are the terms for grandmother and grandfather in Greek (this is a spelling variation - I think it is really YiaYia and Bapu). My oldest grandson calls us this - my DIL is of Greek descent - her parents were born in Greece and speak mainly Greek at home but English to us. This grandson understands everything anyone says to him in Greek, but will not speak it.

On a 7 night cruise last year, 2 dressier nights for the welcome and goodbye dinner - nothing fancy, just a nice dress/skirt blouse. The rest were dressy/casual. The ship will be decorated with a tree, etc. Cookies and nuts were available most of the day. The handblown glass ornaments are gorgeous, but fragile. Look for smaller,easier to pack things if you don't want to have things mailed home. Markets are usually opened from the Friday evening before the first Sunday of Advent until Christmas Eve, although some open earlier and some close earlier. Saturdays esp the nights are really crowded!!!

One other thing I forgot. If you are in Rothenburg and love Christmas ornaments and decorations, a must stop is Kathe Wohlfahrt. Without question the best Christmas store I have ever been in.

Here's a link to their online site: https://shop.wohlfahrt.com/startseitebestofchristmas/startseite.cfm?language=en&pSessionSessionID=75477642-usa-517865215092008;eshop;2&pSessionKundenID=0&pSessionSprachID=2&pFolderFrom=USA2004

In an effort to do anything but what I really need to be doing, I put together a list of who is going where, when and with what line. It's hard to believe that more of us aren't doubling up. So far, only those on Amadeus have found a match. Feel free to add or delete.

Roll Call for Christmas Markets 2008

AZ Pam Pam GCT River Harmony

12/1 – 12/12 Basel – Amsterdam

Thuyronald GCT River Melody

12/3 - ??? Amsterdam – Basel

Bill S Bill Avalon Tranquility

11/30 – 12/9 Praque – Vienna

StephandJeff Steph Avalon Tranquility

12/27 - ??? Prague – Vienna

TickledPink Jane Amadeus Amelegro

12/7 – 12/14 Budapest – Nuremberg

Dmb707 Amadeus Amelegro

12/7 – 12/14 Budapest – Nuremberg

WIT WIT Amadeus

12/6 - ??? Amsterdam – Trier

Skertso Cherie Amadeus

12/6 - ??? Amsterdam – Trier

Fred111 Fred Uniworld Duchess

11/30 – 12/9 Budapest – Regensburg

Yaya&Papu Uniworld

11/29 - ??? Cologne – Basel

CruiseLiz Liz Uniworld Empress

12/6 - ??? Passau – Budapest

Second Seating Uniworld

12/14 - ??? Cologne – Basel

PacMom Vantage

11/30 - ??? Nuremberg – Cologne

CP556 Vantage Navigator

12/4 - ??? Nuremberg – Cologne

Susan33 Susan Vantage

12/9 - ??? Cologne – Munich

UNDECIDED: NewNanna, Cruiser Kathy and Poconolady

Yaya, I had a feeling that might have been your answer. My Mom is called MorMor, which is Swedish for Mother's Mother. She refused to be called Grandma! I think it's great when people come up with something different like that though.

As for dress code, I didn't think GCT was very dressy at all. There were two nights that were supposed to be more dressy, but I think most just changed out of their jeans into more dress slacks. There were a few men with sport coats on, but very few. I've done plenty of formal nights on the big cruises, so kind of over the whole thing now. Especially with the weight limits on baggage. But that's not to say I am going to look like a total slob either.

Hi AZPam, been waiting for someone on our cruise but nothing happening. You can put us down for Amadeus Amalegro Budapest to Amsterdam Dec 20 to Jan 4. We like being away over Xmas and New Year and looking forward to our first river cuise in Europe. (Previously did the usual 4 day Nile cruise but expect this to be better)

I love this thread!!

We (DH, Marty, and I) are taking our first river cruise on Viking from Vienna to Nurnburg. We leave Seattle the day after Thanksgiving and the cruise leaves on Sunday. The following Sunday we disembark and are spending a night in Nurnburg. Then we'll take the train to Munich to spend 3 nights there. While in Munich, we'll spend as much time as possible with steamboats and her family. :D

Hi AZPam, been waiting for someone on our cruise but nothing happening. You can put us down for Amadeus Amalegro Budapest to Amsterdam Dec 20 to Jan 4. We like being away over Xmas and New Year and looking forward to our first river cuise in Europe. (Previously did the usual 4 day Nile cruise but expect this to be better)

I'd like to be gone over the actual holiday and avoid all the family drama! :D Just wondering, how long is that flight for you and what kind of connections? I hate flying to Europe from the west coast, but figure I can't complain if you are coming from Australia! And I guess that time of the year you are getting away from the heat, huh?

Key of Sea, sounds like you have a fun trip planned too. What do you think a river cruise is going to be like? Any huge expectations? And how lucky are you to get to spend time with the legendary Steamboats? :D

I'd like to be gone over the actual holiday and avoid all the family drama! :D Just wondering, how long is that flight for you and what kind of connections? I hate flying to Europe from the west coast, but figure I can't complain if you are coming from Australia! And I guess that time of the year you are getting away from the heat, huh?

We are flying via Hong Kong with Cathay Pacific (THE BEST AIRLINE) business class and takes 9 hours to HK the 12 hours Frankfurt and 1 hour Budapest, so about 22 hours. Just sit back and relax, pretend your at the movies. Its not the quickest way but they are good and worth the extra couple of hours.

Sure we get away from the heat but not the reason we go then, its quiet time for our business.

Key of Sea, sounds like you have a fun trip planned too. What do you think a river cruise is going to be like? Any huge expectations? And how lucky are you to get to spend time with the legendary Steamboats? :D

I only know what I've read on here. I know that it will be very different from ocean cruising. We can't afford to do it too often so I almost hope that we don't like it as much. ;) Anything that you want to share?

I expect to have a great time and do lots of shopping!! :D

I'm very lucky to get to spend time with steamboats! :D We have been chatting in email for over a year and I really can't wait to meet her. And she knows where the good shopping in Munich is! ;)

We used FF miles to get our tickets to Vienna and home from Munich. We have 1st Class from Seattle to LA on Alaska and business class through Paris on Air France. I hope that our experience will also be like sitting at the movies!! We went to Dublin last Summer in coach - this has GOT to be better.

Any one going with AMA from Prague to Budapest November 28 to December 6? Six of us from northern Ohio will be on the Allegro.

kite

Kite

Unfortunately, I am not on that cruise but 10 of us will be on the Almayra in July with the same itinerary. I hope you take good notes and let us know about each of the ports. Have a great trip.

Maggie

Hmmmm....I think there are more river cruisers out there on CC than I originally thought.

One thing I will say about river cruises is that you meet the most wonderful and interesting people onboard. On Uniworld ships the dining is unassigned, but you sit with a group each night. We met some fascinating people over those dinners. We dined with a WW2 veteran, a children's book author and a retired Lt. General of the US Army. 3 years later we still send Christmas cards to some of these folks.

To add to the OP's post about cookies and other snacks onboard. I LOVED the gingerbread that Uniworld had placed around the ship, it was so good, I hope they haven't changed it.

Also, I remember our crusie director was Tony Jenkins. Of course I have no idea if he's still working for Uniworld, but if he ends up being your cruise director, he is wonderful!

Hey Cruise Liz,

We were on the River Countess last year for the Christmas markets from Vienna to Nuremberg and Tony Jenkins was our cruise director. He is truly a great guy - helpful and funny and friendly.

We are meeting up with a couple we met on the cruise last year who are from Albuquerque, NM and we are doing the Rhine from Cologne to Basel. You are so right about the interesting people, we still keep in email contact with a couple from Jaxville, FL whom we met on a Uniworld cruise in 2001!

We also have some past friends joining us on this river cruise! We met them on the one we did in 2005 and had such a great time with them that we sent an email saying we were going again and they decided to come also! I have met great people on every cruise we have gone on that I still keep in touch with and have cruised with again.

Those are some great web sites that Steamboats shared. Wish I was making stops in those cities too so I could check them out. Oh well, another time!

Hey Cruise Liz,

We were on the River Countess last year for the Christmas markets from Vienna to Nuremberg and Tony Jenkins was our cruise director. He is truly a great guy - helpful and funny and friendly.

We are meeting up with a couple we met on the cruise last year who are from Albuquerque, NM and we are doing the Rhine from Cologne to Basel. You are so right about the interesting people, we still keep in email contact with a couple from Jaxville, FL whom we met on a Uniworld cruise in 2001!

I totally agree with you about Tony.We were fortunate to have Tony have as our CD in 2004, He made our trip all the more special. We will

on the Countess this December and we hope he will be our CD again.

Letteanne

I want to come, too!! Probably all sold out. Does anyone know a source for "last minute" openings?

Thinking about 2009, how far ahead did most of you book?

Barbara

I would contact the company directly for any last minute openings or use a really good TA.

We booked in June 2007 and received $1,000 discount for paying in full by the end of July 2007. Now that we're just 10 weeks away, it hardly seems real. I have a severe case of "can't hardly". :D

Thanks for sharing! I really enjoyed checking them out!

:)Cherie

Archived