Emerald beds question....

beachlovergirl

Sailed the Emerald 3 times.

Have never asked for a pad ever on any Princess cruise!!

Much of the comfort of the beds on Princess depends on what you are used to sleeping on at home. The EXTRA EXTRA FIRM mattresses they have upgraded to are beyond description for us. If I could, I would request two or three egg crate toppers for the mattress and even then, not sure if it would be all that comfortable.

We make do, but are thinking about taking something with us for our next cruise to put in addition to the egg crate. Neither of us can sleep well on anything as hard as the mattresses Princess upgraded to.

Concrete has more give than the beds on Emerald. ;)

Our new mattress is very firm but it has quite a thick pillow-top on it, so I'm just not used to sleeping on something H.A.R.D. But, even with as hard as it is, I like it better than an ancient mattress that has become so soft you get lost in it.

Much of the comfort of the beds on Princess depends on what you are used to sleeping on at home. The EXTRA EXTRA FIRM mattresses they have upgraded to are beyond description for us. If I could, I would request two or three egg crate toppers for the mattress and even then, not sure if it would be all that comfortable.

We make do, but are thinking about taking something with us for our next cruise to put in addition to the egg crate. Neither of us can sleep well on anything as hard as the mattresses Princess upgraded to.

My mattress at home bears no resembalance to the ones onboard. :o

Our mattress at home is also firm with a nice thick pillowtop. Sounds like the new Princess mattresses may be too hard for us.

So, how do I go about requesting an eggcrate? Who do I contact by

e-mail/phone or wait until we're on the ship??

Thanks for your help....

Dee

Wouldn't the steward be upset that he has to undo the bed he just made up, insert an egg crate and make it up again?

No, your steward wouldn't be upset. He/she would just add the eggcrate the next time he/she made up or turned down the bed. On our last cruise, we had requested the eggcrate but it was not put on the bed when we arrived. I spoke to our steward who gladly put it on the bed when he turned it down for the evening.

I think I am going to request an egg crate this time. We have endured the mattress for our previous cruises but 10 days is rather long.

I also like a top sheet on my bed. I always have to ask them to put one on when we get to the room. I wonder if I send it in with the egg crate request if it would be in place when we arrive?

This new Princess mattress situation is unique and certainly not something that is subjective. After cruising on many lines and many ships over decades, the first and only time I have ever needed relief from any mattress was on the Island Princess this past April. It is literally like sleeping on a hardwood floor. We had the most uncomfortable mattress I have ever had the misfortune to experience; and after suffering on the 19 day cruise, it is something I will not easily forget. Yet, the Diamond Princess' bed was nice and comfy only 2 months prior. As far as I'm concerned, if I end up in agony again on my next Princess cruise, I will forego Princess forever. The resulting back pain and lack of sleep for almost 3 weeks was too abusive to repeat. I was told that they purchase such hard beds so that they don't have to replace them as frequently. I doubt the bed we slept in will ever sag in this lifetime!!!!:eek:

For me the beds have always been fine, but I'd rather have a firmer versus a softer one anyway.

I always ask for a top sheet when I first meet the room steward and it's always on the bed by the time he turns them down the first night. I really don't know why they just don't do that automatically because the duvet is way to hot most of the time.

Are the beds comfortable......
As you can see, the answers you are receiving are very subjective. Comfort is defined differently by everyone.

Give the mattress a try. If it's too firm ask for an egg crate.

Lew

If the matresses are that firm, I might not want to get off the ship!!

Just off the Emerald - thought I would need an egg crate also, but tried it the first night and it was great. It was a little firm, but we enjoyed it - much firmer than our pillowtop at home....but no egg crate needed.

As Lew said - try it one night, if you need it ask for the egg crate the next day....this is so subjective, it is hard to get a good answer here on CC...

Enjoy

Archived