Questions on Shipbuilding for Harri Kulovaara

Dan Askin

Please explain the theory of only 2 elevator/stair lobbies for the new Solstice class versus 3 on smaller "M" class ships.

I fear massive crowds of scurrying passengers after shows, muster drills, and shore excursions and greater amounts of time spent trolling the hallways.

I have seen a number of programs on ship design and building and they talk about building communities and /or cities on the seas. Do you have any desire to work on designs such as these that are "outside the box" of cruise ship design? I was wondering in your opinion what kind of timeline cities on the seas might be on the horizon (if ever).

As cruise ships get longer and larger, do you see a smaller version of a mass transit system (i.e. moving walkways, etc.) being incorporated into these megaships?

Thank you for this opportunity.

1. What would you say were some of the most difficult situations to design and construct vs. the budget provided, which may have limited the ultimate goals?

2. Are you at liberty to discuss what new navigational and/or communication technologies are available on board, that are not on any other vessel?

Thank you,

Mark

Monmouth County, NJ

I was just wondering, how did you get to the position that you are at today? Your achievements are truly great, what made you able to reach the top?

What do you recommend to someone interested in architecture/engineering and thinking about the cruise ship industry?

Thanks for the opportunity!

Who was involved in the decision to remove the trademark "X" from the funnel of the Solstice Class ships and replace with and X on the glass balconies that, from the photos I've seen, is currently not terribly visible. As a designer for a large global company myself, I would be curious to know the marketing team's involvement, and if they are asking that this be re-addressed from a branding point of view.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Thanks for all the great questions....

Harri spent more than 1.5 hours on the phone with us and we got to most of the questions.

We'll be launching the Q&A next week; stay tuned.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Have the answers been posted yet?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

IMHO something went sideways. The questions were asked with the comment that they would be presented for response. The next step was the idea that an hour and a half discussion took place with most of the questions posed and responded to. Then absolutely nothing after that. Fell over the edge of the earth. I don't bother giving it credit at this point, it seems to me that Cruise Critic and the Cruise Line line decided to declined comment after all the hoop-la.

My Guess: The idea was probably not sanctioned and was a premature announcement of agreement between the two parties. :rolleyes:

Archived