Formal night attire on HAL ships

TorontoTL

changing weight is a good reason to book your tuxedo thru the suggested vendor. Because if you are going continue to lose or gain, you can have one while you are on the cruise that is the right size, and won't waste your money buying a suit you can't wear again.

jc

Super

You have presented your arguement, and it was not convincing to me, but I am sure that there are fellow crusaders out there that agree with it, but now you have just evolved into the person with the final word is the winner. Typical crusader, who isn't here to make sure that both sides of the arguement are presented, but has to make sure that they win. Sorry, you lose in this forum if there were an election of readers here I am certain your arguement would fail to carry the day. However, the winner is really a false goal, because the real world is what the real world is. The cruiseline determines the rules and whether they will enforce them. Unfortunately, most of them will not have the courage to enforce their rules on non-conformists, and in reality you will have a good probability of eating in your cuban shirt. Of course, there is a real probability that they will enforce it and then you won't get to eat in the dining room on formal night. It is a disservice to tell new cruisers on HAL that they can ignore the formal dining dress suggestions, and your continuance of your pointless crusade is wrong. I am quite sure that before this week is up that you will have posted 25 more snide remarks and reframed your arguement 15 ways to h e double hockey sticks. Be aware that your continual crusade is viewed as a pain in the bottom by most members of this forum.... You seem bright enough to not waste everyone's time including your own, but you keep proving that belief wrong.:D :p :rolleyes:

love jc:eek:

Ooooh - I must have touched a nerve with you, huh. You know what - you've been posting snide remarks throughout this thread trying to provoke me into an argument - and I have ignored you - which I will continue to do.

Cheerio

Actually, if your suit fits correctly it should be quite comfortable to wear. I love mine...made to measure since I can't buy off the rack too well (aka, I wear athletic cut). So there lol! :) I'd rather look swank than skank on formal night.

Jeff

And why not show some respect for people who want to be comfortable and not follow silly outdated traditions?

Actually, if your suit fits correctly it should be quite comfortable to wear. I love mine...made to measure since I can't buy off the rack too well (aka, I wear athletic cut). So there lol! :) I'd rather look swank than skank on formal night.

Jeff

Welll - that shows you just how little you really know.

First, my suits fit fine - I have lots of them. But no one can realistically claim to be more comfortable in a jacket and tie than they would be in an open collar shirt.

Second - like many of the dress code police - its sad that you have to resort to insults ("swank not skank") to try and make your point. That in itself shows you have no real argument to stand on

But no one can realistically claim to be more comfortable in a jacket and tie than they would be in an open collar shirt.

I can realistically say that, on elegant formal nights, I feel more comfortable in a jacket and tie than I would feel if I were dressed in an open collar shirt. In a jacket and a tie on formal night I am dressed in accord with the Cruise Line's code, and hence with respect for my hosts wishes. In an open collar shirt I would be horribly self-conscious of being improperly dressed and, hence, I would be extremely UNcomfortable.

Allow me to anticipate your retort: "But what about physical comfort?" Good question! I find myself to be JUST AS PHYSICALLY COMFORTABLE in a suit and tie or clerics as I am in an open collar shirt. My dress shirts and tux shirts all fit me properly, hence my ties (when I wear them) are not too tight; neither are my clerical collars (clerics should stand away from the neck about 1/2 inch) ... indeed, my clerics CAN'T be too tight or uncomfortable around my neck or I wouldn't be able to preach while wearing them. In short, because of how often I must wear either ties or clerics, and because of what I must do while wearing them (preaching, teaching, celebrating Holy Communion, etc. -- all of which require breathing and speaking room) I cannot tolerate my shirt collars to be too tight. They MUST be comfortable. Hence ... YES ... I am JUST AS comfortable in a neck tie or clerics as I would be in an open collar. And, that leaves the psychological factor ... and, psychologically, I would be horribly UNcomfortable if I were dressed improperly.

sounds like a great holiday. Enjoy!:cool:

Where in the Rockies are you going? They cover a whole lot of real estate, fyi. :D

jc

Fly to Calgary then on to Banff, Lake Louise,Jasper,Sun Peaksand Kamloops.

Then we go to Victoria and over to Vancouver, where we pick up the cruise.

It is our first organised tour (may be the last). We usually hire a car and do our own itinary. Thanks for the interest.

Fly to Calgary then on to Banff, Lake Louise,Jasper,Sun Peaksand Kamloops.

Then we go to Victoria and over to Vancouver, where we pick up the cruise.

It is our first organised tour (may be the last). We usually hire a car and do our own itinary. Thanks for the interest.

Ah, the Canadian Rockies, beautiful. Well that is a ton of windshield time to drive from Calgary to Victoria, and about 1/2 of it is pretty spectacular, parts of it are a lot boring. I anticipate you will have a great time!

jc

Ooooh - I must have touched a nerve with you, huh. You know what - you've been posting snide remarks throughout this thread trying to provoke me into an argument - and I have ignored you - which I will continue to do.

Cheerio

You really ought to concentrate on reading what others have said instead of leading your pointless crusade. That is the only nerve you have touched with me. I think you are wasting everyone's time with a crusade. Got it superdude?!:rolleyes: Here is my motto, crusaders suck. :p

You have laid out your arguements, and they are the same predictable arguements that I have been reading here at CC for five years. They occur in every cruiseline forum on a weekly basis. Therefore, while your arguements may strike you as particularly brilliant, and that you are winning some fictional debate the reality is that you are performing the ritual of all people who want to tell society to shove it. "I am an individual, society is not going to tell me how to dress or behave. I am at the maturity level of a spoiled five year old and I don't care." Really, convincing stuff.:rolleyes: :eek:

I am not one of the HAL long time posters, and I really don't feel that I have any knowledge about their product, other than second hand. I am here to learn stuff, and I am not here to read about your need to be special, but unfortunately, that is about all that you type about.

jc

Welll - that shows you just how little you really know.

First, my suits fit fine - I have lots of them. But no one can realistically claim to be more comfortable in a jacket and tie than they would be in an open collar shirt.

Actually, I know quite a bit. I am as comfortable in one as in another. In fact, I would be more comfortable in a spiffy black suit because I was adhering to the dress code. I'd rather not stick out like a sore thumb and I respect the ambience of the evening. Frankly, I like playing roulette all dressed up!

Second - like many of the dress code police - its sad that you have to resort to insults ("swank not skank") to try and make your point. That in itself shows you have no real argument to stand on

Hmmm, wasn't an insult, but if you want to be hypersensitive go right ahead. I was expressing what I'd rather be. I'd rather be swank than skank. That is far different than calling you a skank, which I did not do.

So there lol!

Jeff

You really ought to concentrate on reading what others have said instead of leading your pointless crusade. That is the only nerve you have touched with me. I think you are wasting everyone's time with a crusade. Got it superdude?!:rolleyes: Here is my motto, crusaders suck. :p

You have laid out your arguements, and they are the same predictable arguements that I have been reading here at CC for five years. They occur in every cruiseline forum on a weekly basis. Therefore, while your arguements may strike you as particularly brilliant, and that you are winning some fictional debate the reality is that you are performing the ritual of all people who want to tell society to shove it. "I am an individual, society is not going to tell me how to dress or behave. I am at the maturity level of a spoiled five year old and I don't care." Really, convincing stuff.:rolleyes: :eek:

I am not one of the HAL long time posters, and I really don't feel that I have any knowledge about their product, other than second hand. I am here to learn stuff, and I am not here to read about your need to be special, but unfortunately, that is about all that you type about.

jc

YAWN

Hmmm, wasn't an insult, but if you want to be hypersensitive go right ahead. I was expressing what I'd rather be. I'd rather be swank than skank. That is far different than calling you a skank, which I did not do.

So there lol!

Jeff

Hmmmm - try and weasal out of it - but your use of swank not skank is there for all to see. Once again, a member of the dress code police fails to make an argument without resorting to insults and name calling. SIGH

Ah, the Canadian Rockies, beautiful. Well that is a ton of windshield time to drive from Calgary to Victoria, and about 1/2 of it is pretty spectacular, parts of it are a lot boring. I anticipate you will have a great time!

jc

We anticipate a great time too. We will enjoy the "boring" parts as it is so different to here. I can just imagine all that space, and driving for ever without getting anywhere, unbelievable. Then at the end we have the cruise on Volendam, and all the scenery of Alaska. I will be asking questions nearing the date re excursions etc, but to get back to original "thread," we expect to enjoy the formal nights on Volendam.

By the way "here" is Yorkshire,England, where you can't go very far without getting somewhere.

MonandDave

I spent a week a couple of years ago in and around the islands of the Northwest, and Victoria and Buchart gardens were a real delight. We also, visited San Juan island in Washington state, and had a blast riding scooters around the island watching whales and seals. Visiting some of the yacht harbors, just really pleasant. Lake Louise and Banff are high on the list of places that my wife demands me to take her someday, and from everything I have seen about that portion of the Canadian Rockies it looks truly beautiful.

I have not been to Yorkshire, even though I used to have a Yorkshire terrier, we visited England in September, but we were in London and Essex. Lovely, lovely.

jc

This has clearly become one person's forum for personal slams and tiresome crusades :mad:

It is no longer informative, fun or remotely interesting...:cool:

Yes xpcdoojk sure is trying his hardest to pick a fight with me - but no worry, I will just keep ignoring him ;)

Other than that, the thread still has plenty of useful life left :D

Archived