Formal night attire on HAL ships

TorontoTL

Folks - I think Superstein is pulling everyone's leg and just trying to get everyone's goat. I bet deep down, he really does dress in formal clothes. ;)

Come on Superstein - fess up - you're not really a non-conformist are you. :D

Esme - nope, not pulling anyone's leg. I used to conform and wear the old suit and tie - but after cruising on NCL once where people can dress as they desire - and be comfortable, etc, I decided enough was enough. So on my last HAL cruise I was indeed a non-conformist.

Now - that does not mean I come dressed in shorts and a t-shirt like some here are exaggerating about. I dressed very presentable - nice docker type pants and a fancy Cuban shirt one formal evening - a fancy mexican shirt the other formal evening. I rec'd plenty of compliments too (I was at a table with 7 women - me the only male) from both my table as well as a few other folks. And I was comfortable. What is so wrong with that?

It doesn't. However ... and perhaps it's the pastoral part of me at work here ... I do have some concern for those who might be surprised and embarrassed by being asked to return to their cabins for the required attire after having been told by some on this board that they could safely attend Formal night without a jacket. For instance, you stated:

While such is certainly your opinion -- and you got away with it on the Zuiderdam -- the truth is that such is, indeed, "out of place" on HAL on formal night. When the Daily Program specifically states that "Jacket and Tie" are "required" on formal night (and it does), how can anyone reasonably make the claim that one can attend without the jacket and think it's "ok." Note: I'm not talking about one being able to get away with it; just because one manages to get away with it doesn't make it "ok." And, what if one doesn't get away with it and, due to advice given him here, has no way to meet the requirement? It is for THIS eventuality that I am concerned, superstein61 ... for the innocent who hasn't been on a cruise but who might take your word as Gospel and be caught up short as well a for you. Let us say you decide to take a Cruise to Hawaii on the Statendam in 2005. It's a GREAT cruise. While you're in the islands all the nights are "Hawaiian Casual." It's wonderful! You'll even get laied during the first night ... and in the dining room, no less! :D ;) However, during the 5 nights in-transit to and from Hawaii there will be 2 formal nights each way. Those formal nights, on the Statendam, are enforced. If you try to have formal night dinner in the Rotterdam Dining room dressed in anything less than a jacket and tie you will be asked to return to your cabin for the proper attire. This isn't snobbery, nor is it even "old fashioned." It's called being asked to have "respect for the Line's Dress Code." I don't want this kind of thing to happen to you, or anyone else you advise, and you be caught without at least a sports jacket.

What - you mean I won't get laied every night ;) Darn - HAL needs to spring for more flowers ;)

Anyway - I understand what you are saying Rev - and I did modify my stance partway thru saying that if the OP wanted to play it safe, on the off chance someone does single them out for not having a jacket, they should just bring a sports coat on board. I even said they could carry it to the dining room with them - but if I were them, I would just leave it in the stateroom myself - it would be a short walk back to get it.

Actually if I were them, i wouldn't pack one but hey, I like risks - LOL

I used to conform and wear the old suit and tie - but after cruising on NCL once where people can dress as they desire - and be comfortable, etc, I decided enough was enough.
Then it would seem that NCL is a much better vacation choice for you. On that side of the coin, don't you think someone in a tux would be out of place in the dining room? I'm not saying right or wrong ... just out of place. Wouldn't they be?

Then it would seem that NCL is a much better vacation choice for you. On that side of the coin, don't you think someone in a tux would be out of place in the dining room? I'm not saying right or wrong ... just out of place. Wouldn't they be?

many things go into making a vacation choice. NCL's freestyle is a big plus IMO. But lately HAL has had better iteneraries and pricing for where I wanted to go, as well as bigger / nicer rooms. So just because I like one aspect of NCL, doesn't mean its the be all and end all.

And no, on NCL someone wearing a tux on formal night would NOT be out of place. NCL does it right - certain sit down restaurants are designated formal and others are casual on "formal night" (and I am not refering to being shunned to the Lido either)

The confrontational attitude expressed by SuperXXXX [i have another name for him] and some others is the reason I have decided not to participate in this board. Encountering him and others like him, my next scheduled

cruise will not be on HAL.

For the record, from what I hear from Seattle, HAL’s management has decided to enforce the dress code.

:confused: NO - NO - don't say that you won't cruise HAL because of what others are writing on this board. Count the number of HAL ships, multiply by the number of passengers, multiply by the number of trips each each ship makes a year ---- then compare to the number of people who "chat" on this board. You are dealing with a very, very, very small percentage of traveling passengers here. While I truly appreciate their input on my first time cruiser questions, you are not reading the thoughts, ideas, and attidudes of every HAL passenger. If you won't cruise HAL, make it because of something that happened to YOU - not other people!

CL's freestyle is a big plus IMO. But lately HAL has had better iteneraries and pricing for where I wanted to go, as well as bigger / nicer rooms. So just because I like one aspect of NCL, doesn't mean its the be all and end all.

And no, on NCL someone wearing a tux on formal night would NOT be out of place. NCL does it right - certain sit down restaurants are designated formal and others are casual on "formal night" (and I am not refering to being shunned to the Lido either)

The statement: "NCL does it right - certain sit down restaurants are designated formal and others are casual on "formal night"" is entirely your subjective opinion ... not gospel. I certainly disagree. And that's what makes life fun: we all have our own tastes, or own likes and dislikes; we don't all have to be the same ... and neither do all the cruise lines. I want NCL to be NCL and HAL to be HAL ... not HAL to be NCL. I cruise with HAL because I like their traditions and style. I'd rather not see them change.

I've never cruised with HAL and was wondering how dressed up I will need to be on formal nights. I don't like wearing suits and was wondering if it would be frowned upon if I wore a dress shirt, tie and dress pants to dinner on formal nights. Sorry if anyone has asked this recently.

You should consider NCL. Most People that cruise HAL enjoy dressing up. If you don't NCL is for you

Thanks for all the input people. I didn't realize that this topic was going to cause such emotional responses. I just wanted to have an idea of how strict things were for HAL. I'v only cruised with Princess and for their formal nights, most men are in tux's or suits and a handfull just had shirt and ties. I'm not trying to break any rules or things. I just noticed that on Princess no one really cared as long as you were nicely dressed. It sounds like on HAL one should have a suit and tie for most nights.

Superstein, you need to return to NCL, where you can dress as you wish and be comfortable. BUT I have to agree with Esme, I think you are just stirring the pot here, which you do on almost all subjects. I'll bet we'd all see you in the dining room on formal evenings in a very nice tuxedo.

Toronto, suit and tie for formal nights only, other nights jacket would be required, tie optional and casual nights you don't need a jacket and tie.

For the ladies, on casual nights, I like to wear a nice capri outfit. Informal nights, a nice pant suit and formal nights, dressy black pants with a sequened top or sequened pant suits. Its not too hard to dress up on formal nights, use your imagination, you'll look great. As you can see, I hate the panty hose as well, you don't need it, silk pants and a sequened top with some nice jewelry, perfect.

For those tempted to typecast HAL cruisers by the relative few who post here, you should be aware that there are four million "Mariners"! A "Mariner" is a former HAL passenger. So pay us no mind, and view comments as "for entertainment only".

Those who post here and support a dress code represent millions of others who are Mariners who agree but do not post on the Bulletin Boards.

Those who post here and do not respect their fellow pax and flaunt the dress code also represent many Mariners who agree with them but do not post on the Bulletin Boards.

Only a small percentage of cruisers visit these Boards but we are representative of the millions of others who cruise.

It is my opinion that, while the posters here do not "represent" the non-posters, they are probably "representative" of overall opinions.

Therefore, if most of the posters feel it is appropriate to follow the dress code on a HAL ship, it is likely that non-posters ( and probably other passengers) feel the same way.

Beth

Since we're on the topic of formal nights, can I ask what is acceptable for a 10 year old boy? Would a jacket be required for him, also? Or, would he be able to go to Club HAL during that time? I wasn't sure of their hours and he would probably prefer that anyway, but just want to be prepared. Kids grow so quick that we haven't bought his first suit yet. Thanks!

Beth - for the record - I did :D But its just my opinion - which I am entitled to - as you to yours.

furthermore - for the record, I UNLIKE MOST EVERYONE ELSE never tell anyone what to wear. I am on record here as saying "Everyone should do what they feel comfortable with "

Boy, I'm gone from the boards (packing and getting ready for our cruise) for just a few days and looky what we have here! This could be a clone of the same thread last month, last week, last year...

I wasn't going to read this - let alone post anything. However, I feel it is important to point out that everyone on these boards is entitled to his/her OPINION and each persons opinion should be respected as such.

We all know Superstein chooses not to dress in a jacket & tie - apparently, the Maitre d' on the Zui had no issue with this on a formal night, so what difference does it make?

I guess I just don't understand why anyone would be bothered by what someone else is or isn't wearing? We dress in accordance to the suggested dress, we enjoy ourselves - we don't really care what those around are or are not wearing.

I will not wear pantyhose or stockings anymore - I wear dressy sandals to dinner and most sandals are not condusive to wearing pantyhose - also, as one poster pointer out - they are uncomfortable, especially in hot, humid climates. My DH wears his tux (when he doesn't have his arm in a cast), but is not really that comfortable wearing it when it is hot.

He is unable to wear his jacket on our upcoming cruise due to the cast - I certainly hope no one takes offense at his lack of dinner jacket.

I've never cruised with HAL and was wondering how dressed up I will need to be on formal nights. I don't like wearing suits and was wondering if it would be frowned upon if I wore a dress shirt, tie and dress pants to dinner on formal nights. Sorry if anyone has asked this recently.

It certainly wouldn't bother me! On my recent Westerdam cruise I saw some men dressed as you described, but most wore jackets, suits or tuxes.

Those who post here and support a dress code represent millions of others who are Mariners who agree but do not post on the Bulletin Boards.

Those who post here and do not respect their fellow pax and flaunt the dress code also represent many Mariners who agree with them but do not post on the Bulletin Boards.

Only a small percentage of cruisers visit these Boards but we are representative of the millions of others who cruise.

Aren't you a bit premature? Elections aren't until next week.:)

I'm willing to bet the farm the dress code said SUGGESTED and not Required on my Westerdam cruise.

As the HAL Maitre'd was quoted above:

"...Formal Wear is suggested - and Coat and Tie is (the minimum) required."

I'm all for creativity when it comes to formal wear - kilts, cowboy string-ties/Texas formal, trendy formalwear, etc. We have plenty of formal gatherings here in SF, and for a city notorious for being underdressed (this is where 'casual Friday' started) one rarely ever sees folks dressed down at the Black & White Ball, the Oscar galas or certain other benefit galas. We also have restaurants and private clubs who will not admit individuals who are not dressed in coat & tie.

When it comes down to it, in individual coming to a formal dinner in casual attire - regardless if the occassion is 'by invitation', paid for or on a cruiseship - is socially inappropriate.

Don't like those rules? Go somewhere else - simple as that.

I guess I just don't understand why anyone would be bothered by what someone else is or isn't wearing? We dress in accordance to the suggested dress, we enjoy ourselves - we don't really care what those around are or are not wearing.

Ekerr, though we have argued the dress code stuff amongst ourselves a lot, we really haven't discussed that question specifically.

Why DO some people object to what others are wearing? It is actually a pretty good question.

Obviously, some people enjoy dressing up more than others. And regardless of which side one is on, we all tend to want to be surrounded by like-minded people. So, when those who prefer tradition see someone chipping away at their tradition, it is only natural to attack. Maybe not right, but natural.

The fear is that more and more people will dress casually, until eventually those who dress formally will be in the minority, and will feel out of place.

There are fewer and fewer opportunities these days where many of us can feel completely comfortable being all decked out. The more Supersteins there are, the sooner this opportunity will be gone.

And that's not to say Superstein is wrong (don't tell him I said this) for wanting things to be more his way. The sooner that happens, the sooner he will feel comfortable in casual attire. (That assumes he doesn't start wearing long-tailed tuxes just to keep the pot stirred.;) )

Anyway, I think that's the big emotional issue in the ole Dead Horse Saloon. (Jacket's required, but not suggested) :)

Exactly Roboat. Most people who choose HAL or Celebrity are looking for a more traditioinal, formal cruise. Having everyone dressed up is part of the ambiance. Sure it's a little bit of a fantasy trip, throw back to the old days of the magnificent ocean liners, James Bond, etc. but it's fun. Certainly, it's not going to ruin our cruise if a few people don't dress. But at what point does it start to take away from the ambiance.

Also, one point that no one seemed to make. There are nights on the ship for everyone's taste in clothing - two formal nights, two informal nights and three casual nights.

Archived