Formal night attire on HAL ships

TorontoTL

I've never cruised with HAL and was wondering how dressed up I will need to be on formal nights. I don't like wearing suits and was wondering if it would be frowned upon if I wore a dress shirt, tie and dress pants to dinner on formal nights. Sorry if anyone has asked this recently.

You will definitely need a jacket. Formal night on HAL is fairly formal. A lot of men will be in tuxes and suits and sport jackets. They ask you to wear a jacket on informal nights also - tie not required. If you think you will feel out of place without a jacket, you could eat dinner in the Lido.

You may find it nice to dress up for the formal nights.

I know I will get flammed on this comment, because there are some on here that don't believe in formal night and will probably tell you that you don't need a jacket, but I think a man looks so smart dressed properly on such a night, especially if his female companion is all dressed up. :)

I've never cruised with HAL and was wondering how dressed up I will need to be on formal nights. I don't like wearing suits and was wondering if it would be frowned upon if I wore a dress shirt, tie and dress pants to dinner on formal nights. Sorry if anyone has asked this recently.

:eek: Well!!!!!!!!!!dress shirt, tie and dress pants to dinner????? seems to me you know what 'formal night' means - I'd definitely say a jacket is necessary and would make you feel (what shall I say?) more finished looking! :)

Failing that, maybe room service would be in order on a formal night - within the confines of your cabin, attire may be as you wish.

The Maitre'd is the determining factor as to enforcement of the dining room dress code. For the benefit of all guests, I think the cruise Line's rules should be enforced.

Have a great cruise! :)

Our only HAL experience .. Zuiderdam last May. Didn't see anyone without a jacket. About 50-60% of the men were in a tux, the remainder in a suit. I don't think I saw anyone in a sport coat, but maybe there were a few. Informal nights, lots of sports jackets with polo shirts. A few men wore suits.

DH brought along his tux..and I really appreciated how hansome he looked on formal nights...It was enjoyable evening.

Most folks stayed dressed in their formal attire the entire evening. Didn't really see anyone dressed in casual attire except up by the pool that evening.

Hope this helps. Have a great cruise!!

Peggy Sue

Ahhh - here we go again.

IGNORE THE Dress Police folks here who get so bent out of shape over what others wear, it isn't funny. You sound like you will look quite presentable. SKIP THE JACKET. in 99% of the cases, no one on board will care. However occassionally you will find someone who looks down upon you because you don't meet their standards of attire. Ignore them and enjoy yourself !!!

BTW - I rebelled at Formal Night on the Zuiderdam this summer - and had no problem at all. And I didn't even wear a tie. One night, a fancy Cuban shirt - the other, a fancy Mexican shirt.

OK - now get ready for the dress police here to start bashing me for my views :D

OH - and ignore those who want to shun you to the Lido or worse yet, make you eat in your room !!!

Oh, TorontoTL - one other thing - Keep in mind that many of the responses you get here will be from women who don't have to wear a Monkey Suit and Tie noose ;) around their neck.

They pretty much will all tell you to wear the suit or jacket.

As a male who like you, doesn't like wearing a suit - ignore them and do what is comfortable for you !!!

ENJOY (and duck the oncoming flames)

Superstien - not trying to flame, but...

Yea, I know the 'monkey suits' are uncomfortable, but have you ever tried to eat with panty hose squeezing everything below your waist into a night 'tight' package, and then a bustiere sqeezeing everything above your waiste in an upward position while enclosing your ribs into your lungs. Then we pull our hair up, just to add to the upward 'party'. Then we add these crazy little items that put us up on top of our toes were we get cramps in our calves. I promise our 'monkey' outfit is just as uncomfortable if not more than yours. We just like to torture you. :D Just haven't figured out why we do it to ourselves. :o

I think I am headed over to the Wind Jammer sight ;)

In reviewing the remarks, thus far, I note that superstein61 has weighed in on the subject with what has become his mantra: "Ignore them [the "Dress Police folks"] and enjoy yourself !!!" This may come as a shock to some, but I tend to agree with the general attitude, if not its context. While I agree that what other passengers think about what one wears is really not all that important, it is important what the Cruse Line and, most especially, the Matre’ D, think. Allow me to illustrate.

One month ago I was on the lovely and gracious Zaandam. At the table directly behind me there was a gentleman I have come to think of as superstein61's twin; he had several run-ins with the Matre’ D over his stubborn unwillingness to abide by the minimal standards of the Line's published Dress Code. The very first casual night he came into the dining room dressed in shorts and a t-shirt and was quickly informed that he would have to return to his cabin and change into slacks. On the first formal night came dressed in slacks and a button-down sports shirt -- no jacket, no tie. He would have been fine on a casual night, but not on formal night. The Matre’ D came over while their drink orders were being taken, knelt down next to the guy, and I could hear him say in a quiet yet respectful tone, “Sir, tonight is formal night.”

“Yes?” the man replied; his tone contained more than just a hint of daring.

“I’m afraid I’m going to have to ask you to return to your cabin and retrieve a jacket and tie.”

“But the dress code says that’s just a suggestion.”

“No, sir. What’s suggested is a tuxedo; what is required is a jacket and tie.”

“Required?”

“Correct, sir. That is what is printed in your Daily Program.”

“What if I refuse?”

“Then, sir, you will not be served.”

“You’re kidding me.”

“No, sir, I'm not kidding you.” The Matre’ D then stood up straight and walked away, apparently stopping to inform the area supervisor of the situation.

After a few minutes, which he spent discussing the situation with his wife and his companions in increasingly heated tones, the fellow got up and left. Less than 10 minutes later he showed up in a sports jacket, white shirt, and tie. Nothing else was said, either by the Matre’ D or by his table companions, and on the subsequent 3 formal nights he was attired properly. The same can't be said for the informal nights -- he pushed the envelope there, too, and got called on it the second informal night -- but that's another story.

This is not snobbery, nor is it a flame; it's simply a FACT. Some of Holland America's Matre'D are hard-liners when it comes to the published dress code, and some are not. In two HAL cruises Superstein61 has been fortunate to either be on a ship where the Matre'D didn't care, or were he simply wasn't spotted. In the case of his cruise on the Zuiderdam, it's almost certainly the first situation. Good for him ... I'm glad he wasn't embarrassed in front of his table mates and family, like the fellow on the Zaandam just last month. I have taken 10 HAL cruises ... on 4 (including last month) I have actually seen people being turned away from the main dining room for being improperly attired. I will admit that I have seen at least as many occasions where people came to dinner on formal night dressed in less-than the Cruise Line's standards and they were not asked to change. This was especially true in Alaska and, once, on the Maasdam in the Caribbean. However, there have been several occasions when I've overheard people talking about it happening at their table, or to them, or to a member of their party. For instance, on the Rotterdam V I overheard an argument at breakfast about an incident in the main dining room the night before: a fellow had refused to dress properly and had been refused service. When he complained his way up to the Hotel Manager he was informed that he would be expected to abide by the dress code or he could eat in the Lido or in his cabin. It was interesting to hear his outrage ... and even more interesting to hear his wife shoot back with a rather elaborate "I told you so."

To put it VERY simply, Holland America outlines its dress code (for men) thusly:

Formal Nights: jacket and tie required (Tuxedo or business suit suggested)

Informal Nights: jacket required (tie optional)

Casual Night: long pants required (no shorts)

They have a more elaborate statement in the "Know Before You Go" booklet, and on their website, but that pretty much says it all.

Frowned upon? Man, you ain't even on the boat yet and look at all the frowns! ;)

Since you asked, you sound like you are a polite considerate person. If you don't wear at least a jacket and tie on formal night, you will be one of the very, very few who do not.

Sounds like you have a suit, so you wouldn't need to buy one, and you can probably wear the suit jacket with slacks and polo on informal nights (which are not the same as casual nights, which do not require a jacket.). You might want to pick up a white shirt with the collar a just little too big so it isn't tight.

Oh, when evaluating Superstein's suggestions. you may wish to consider that he has tiny transmitter in his head implanted by the CIA which transmits Ashley Simpson songs 24/7 (thus he is always lip-synching them, even at dinner) and wears a bikini top and lederhosen on formal nights.:p

There are cruise lines that aren't as strict about dress codes as HAL.

It doesn't take too much research to find which of these lines would be a better "fit" for those who don't like HAL's dress code.

There's something for almost everyone - even for those who seem to have a need to draw attention to themselves.

Oh, TorontoTL - one other thing - Keep in mind that many of the responses you get here will be from women who don't have to wear a Monkey Suit and Tie noose ;) around their neck.

They pretty much will all tell you to wear the suit or jacket.

As a male who like you, doesn't like wearing a suit - ignore them and do what is comfortable for you !!!

ENJOY (and duck the oncoming flames)

I don't understand why people feel uncomfortable in a tuxedo or a suit. Just buy one that fits properly.

TotontoTL:

The best thing you can do is to ignore the advice given by Superstein!

Would you go to a fancy restaurant or an evening wedding reception, or a banquet, without a tie or in shorts? Why would you want to go casual to formal night? All ships now have alternative dining so nobody is forced to eat in the formal dining room. One of the reasons I love cruising is that it's one of the last "civilized" ways of travel. HAL spells out their dress code ahead of time; if you don't want to conform to it, don't go. They have the right to set out the rules, you have the right not to cruise on HAL.

Revneal, I am so happy to hear that the Matre'd, very nicely and respectfully, asked that gentleman to dress appropriately. I hope I have him on my cruises next March. I agree with the others here, ignore the comments about wearing what you want on formal evenings on HAL and avoid being embarassed.

Grow up and wear a suit or better yet a tuxedo. JMHO.:D

NCL has freestyle cruising and you would never ever have to dress up.:D

jc

PS compared to RCI I am sure HAL is much more formal, and even on RCI most men wear a suit or Tuxedo. Especially on longer cruises.

The confrontational attitude expressed by SuperXXXX [i have another name for him] and some others is the reason I have decided not to participate in this board. Encountering him and others like him, my next scheduled

cruise will not be on HAL.

For the record, from what I hear from Seattle, HAL’s management has decided to enforce the dress code.

Looking forward to our first cruise and dressing appropriately formally. Revneals outlining of the HAL policy is word for word from the docs.

BTW it is not really the fashion police so much as the etiquette squad. Good manners probably preclude people from bringing up fashion faux pas'. Miss Manners should really have a SWAT team.

Cheers

MarkB

It's great to hear that HAL is enforcing dress code in the dining room . I loved Revneal's post. Hope we get that Matre'd.

Formal night is so elegant. The whole atmosphere on the ship changes. (Nothing like gliding down a staircase in a beautiful gown on the arm of a gentleman in a tux/suit!)

Common courtesy/manners are not a thing of the past. There are lots of cruise line and/or dining choices open to those who would prefer not to "dress up." Cruise ships offer choices... if a person doesn't want to get formally attired then don't have dinner in the dining room on formal nights.

Oh, when evaluating Superstein's suggestions. you may wish to consider that he has tiny transmitter in his head implanted by the CIA which transmits Ashley Simpson songs 24/7 (thus he is always lip-synching them, even at dinner) and wears a bikini top and lederhosen on formal nights.

What a mental image! :D Methinks that's a special, chartered cruise!!!! LOL

I appreciate that TorontoTL was honestly asking a question regarding what he should wear on formal night! Rather than just assuming, he's asking! That's both considerate and appropriate and we should all respond to him with proper, informative respect.

Likewise, it is NOT an action of the mythical "Dress Police" for posters to answer such a question with the Cruise Line's Dress Code. Nor is it horrible that superstein61 offered his alternative suggestion; I disagree with his practice, and with his advice, but his offering an alternative is certainly fine. My purpose in posting what I did was to illustrate the possible consequences that one might face if they were to follow superstein61's advice. Given that TorontoTL appears to not be aware of HAL's Dress Code, and the fact that they would appear to be putting forth some effort to enforce it again, I thought my illustration from very recent history was appropriate. :)

No one should get "hot under the collar" about this topic. As the old saying goes "we pays our money and we takes our choice." If one's choice results in one not being served in the main dining room several nights a cruise, that's truly unfortunate, but that's the price one might have to pay for being unwilling to abide by the printed dress code. Certainly, those who are interested in "objectivity" can respect this simple fact? Right? :)

TorontoTL,

I know that a tux is a big departure from a shirt and tie, but if you're interested, you can rent a tux from HAL. It, and two shirts, will be waiting for you in your cabin. Its not free, but its cheaper than buying a suit, requires no packing, and most women can't resist a man in a cummerbund!;)

Whatever you choose, enjoy your cruise.

Beth

and he wears a bikini top and lederhosen on formal nights.:p
What a mental image! :D Methinks that's a special, chartered cruise!!!! LOL

Well, sure. He's got the body for it. I, on the other hand, would just look silly. ;)

Hi TorontoTL,

Why not play it safe and bring a jacket? It appears Hal is making an attempt at enforcing the dress code. Your other alternative would be to eat in the Lido.

Archived