Formal night attire on HAL ships

TorontoTL

Superstien - not trying to flame, but...

Yea, I know the 'monkey suits' are uncomfortable, but have you ever tried to eat with panty hose squeezing everything below your waist into a night 'tight' package, and then a bustiere sqeezeing everything above your waiste in an upward position while enclosing your ribs into your lungs. Then we pull our hair up, just to add to the upward 'party'. Then we add these crazy little items that put us up on top of our toes were we get cramps in our calves. I promise our 'monkey' outfit is just as uncomfortable if not more than yours. We just like to torture you. :D Just haven't figured out why we do it to ourselves. :o

I think I am headed over to the Wind Jammer sight ;)

LOL - I love it Juli !!! :D Ok, I guess some of you gals suffer as well

In reviewing the remarks, thus far, I note that superstein61 has weighed in on the subject with what has become his mantra: "Ignore them [the "Dress Police folks"] and enjoy yourself !!!" This may come as a shock to some, but I tend to agree with the general attitude, if not its context.

Woo Hoo - we agree :D

This is not snobbery, nor is it a flame; it's simply a FACT. Some of Holland America's Matre'D are hard-liners when it comes to the published dress code, and some are not. In two HAL cruises Superstein61 has been fortunate to either be on a ship where the Matre'D didn't care, or were he simply wasn't spotted. In the case of his cruise on the Zuiderdam, it's almost certainly the first situation. Good for him ...

OK - I will not dispute what the Rev says. You may come across the grouchy, hard line maitre'd on your ship (you won't on the Zuiderdam). So if you want to still relax - but play it safe, here is your fallback position. bring a sport coat along - and carry it to dinner. At dinner, slip it over the back of your chair, relax without the coat on and enjoy. I guarantee no uptight, hard line maitre'd will say a word to you .

There are cruise lines that aren't as strict about dress codes as HAL.

It doesn't take too much research to find which of these lines would be a better "fit" for those who don't like HAL's dress code.

There's something for almost everyone - even for those who seem to have a need to draw attention to themselves.

Ahh - didn't take long for the if you don't like HAL's suggestions, cruise on some other line crew to get here :(

Would you go to a fancy restaurant or an evening wedding reception, or a banquet, without a tie or in shorts? Why would you want to go casual to formal night? All ships now have alternative dining so nobody is forced to eat in the formal dining room. One of the reasons I love cruising is that it's one of the last "civilized" ways of travel. HAL spells out their dress code ahead of time; if you don't want to conform to it, don't go. They have the right to set out the rules, you have the right not to cruise on HAL.

Another member of it you don't like how HAL does it, cruise on another line crowd.

C'mon people. One does not have to like everything about a line to cruise on it. And one does not have to abide by silly outdated traditions just to please others

The confrontational attitude expressed by SuperXXXX [i have another name for him] and some others is the reason I have decided not to participate in this board. Encountering him and others like him, my next scheduled

cruise will not be on HAL.

Wow - you have a bit of an attitude today don't you. Get up on the wrong side of the bed or what? And hey - if you promise to share your special pet name for me, I will share my special name of you ;)

For the record, from what I hear from Seattle, HAL’s management has decided to enforce the dress code.

For the record, this is hogwash. Lknick neither works for HAL nor has inside info

Nor is it horrible that superstein61 offered his alternative suggestion; I disagree with his practice, and with his advice, but his offering an alternative is certainly fine.

No one should get "hot under the collar" about this topic. As the old saying goes "we pays our money and we takes our choice." :)

Rev - I agree with you. Everyone should do what they feel comfortable with - and no one should get bent out of shape about the topic as some here do. I think its a hoot how many folks get so upset over this topic.

HAL has it's rules and the bare minimum is a jacket/sports coat which is what I have been wearing since we started cruising HAL in 92. Hey rules are rules so I'm sure no one on this board would ever consider sneaking a bottle or two of booze onboard tucked away safely in their checked luggage.

Tuxedo's are for marrying in

Suits are for burying in

Superstein,

Who decided that dressing up for dinner was a "silly outdated tradition?" I beg you not to make decisions for the rest of us. I love to dress up, rarely get the chance, and love to see my husband in a tuxedo. So please, don't wear appropriate attire if you don't want to, but don't tell me not to, especially when I'm following the dress code!

Beth

For the record, this is hogwash. Lknick neither works for HAL nor has inside info
I personally find your knowledge base amazing, especially since anonymity is the watch word for this board.

Please present evidence to support your comment. Or is it simply like your comment that I am a bigot since I do not think Cuban shirts are appropriate on formal night.

Anyone bring any marshmellows, I am hungry, and while the flames are rather mild they will soon be burning brighter!

I really think the suggested dress code is clear, but for non-conformists they can find nuance in any suggestion, to give them the wriggle room needed to say that they are "right" when they ignore the suggestion of their hosts. I really don't care what they wear, or if they get in or are not allowed into the dining room on formal night. What I do, however, care about is that anyone that is honestly asking the question what should they wear on formal night should be informed of the fact that there is a suggested dress code and what that dress code is. That if you fail to follow the suggested dress code you have no one to blame, but yourself if the crew denies you access to said dining room. The fact is on most cruises, even on less traditional lines, on formal night the majority of men wear at a minimum a sport coat and most wear a suit or a tuxedo.

In my opinion anyone that says that you don't need to wear a jacket is fighting a crusade, and there is nothing I dislike more than a pointless crusade. If you see yourself in the previous remark... then this is for you.:p :p :D ;)

jc

As everyone, or almost everyone, will be dressed up on formal nights you may not feel comfortable being "underdressed" without a jacket.

To minimize packing, I purchased a black suit along with a white shirt with French cuffs and a bow tie. I use that for formal nights, and on the informal nights just substitute a coloured shirt and tie. That covers off four nights. If I really am lighting the suitcase, I will pack a couple of dressier polo shirts that go well with the black pants from the suit.

However, should you chose to dress to your own drummer, I'll be the guy at the next table that is extremly jealous. I dress up for work every day, so it is nice to be casual on holidays, but as I appreciate the many other positives of sailing on HAL, I make the very small "sacrifice". I wonder if the reason so many HAL veterans are so annoyed by those that don't dress up is that the cruise offers them one of the infrequent opportunities to dress up as they are retired. Not a shot at any one, just think that I would LIKE to get dressed up for dinner occassionally, if I was not already doing it on a daily basis. HAL's policy and the atmosphere that they are trying to create and maintain is fine, and anyone who does not want to conform does have two alternatives - the Lido on a HAL ship, or another cruise line.

My last comment is that they can make the passangers dress up, but what you will see is that "taste" is sometimes lacking. One of our more adventurous anti-formal, dress up HAL members should show up in a badly mismatched jacket, pants and tie and see what happens. Nothing no doubt because as goofy as you may look, you will be wearing a jacket and a tie.

Another member of it you don't like how HAL does it, cruise on another line crowd.

C'mon people. One does not have to like everything about a line to cruise on it. And one does not have to abide by silly outdated traditions just to please others

I was not saying you shouldn't cruise on Hal. My point was that if you don't want to dress up, there are other places on a ship to have dinner on formal nights. Nobody forces you to eat in the dining room. Why not show some respect for the people who do like to dress up and abide by "silly outdtated traditions" and want to eat dinner with people who also want to enjoy a special dinner. It's only two nights per cruise!

Hmmm...

I wonder what it is about suits and tuxedos that are so offensive to certain folks? Do these same folks show up to work, church, or funerals in shorts and polo-shirts? Did they go to Prom or their own wedding in jeans and a t-shirt?

Nobody is forcing anyone to eat in the Main Dining Room, much less sail on HAL - so why the fuss??? If someone can afford to cruise, they can certainly afford to own a suit and tie or rent a Tux. If not, there are plenty of other options available to them...

The rule for formal night on HAL is 'Suit and Tie' - deal with it.

Hello all, I have read through all the posts about formal night for men, but I'd like to know how formal the women get? Dresses to the floor or is a black knee length acceptable? My sister and I are bringing my Mother (she is a first time cruiser). ;)

Hello all, I have read through all the posts about formal night for men, but I'd like to know how formal the women get? Dresses to the floor or is a black knee length acceptable? My sister and I are bringing my Mother (she is a first time cruiser). ;)

Bringing your Mom!

Good for you!

Sounds like you'll do just fine, either way...

;)

You may come across the grouchy, hard line maitre'd on your ship (you won't on the Zuiderdam).

I'm sorry, supterstein61, but I really don't appreciate your characterizing Jerry, or any other Maitre'd, as "grouchy" and "uptight" simply because they're doing their job and politely, with great civility, patience, and sensitivity, asking errant passengers to conform to the dress code. To call them "grouchy" and "uptight" is both an unkind and an untrue characterization of these men; in Jerry's case, he's a very pleasant, kind, and attentive fellow. I understand that you view the dress code as a negative thing, and such is hence coloring your interpretation of those Maitre'd who require observance of the code; however, it is truly unfair of you to seat their motivation in a negative assessment of their personality.

What I do, however, care about is that anyone that is honestly asking the question what should they wear on formal night should be informed of the fact that there is a suggested dress code and what that dress code is. That if you fail to follow the suggested dress code you have no one to blame, but yourself if the crew denies you access to said dining room. The fact is on most cruises, even on less traditional lines, on formal night the majority of men wear at a minimum a sport coat and most wear a suit or a tuxedo.

In my opinion anyone that says that you don't need to wear a jacket is fighting a crusade

I agree, and just for the record, nothing more sexy than a man dressed in a suit or tux :p

Black knee length is just fine. The dress code says that cocktail dresses are fine. You are not required to wear full-length ball gowns. You will see some, but you will also see the cocktail dresses. Don't worry about your mom, she will have a blast. Get the girls dressed up and have some pictures made to remember this special time with your mom.

We live at the beach, and my SO is from Cape Cod, originally, and he is most comfortable in shorts and a tee shirt, even in winter, it seems. However, even though he moans and groans, he is quite striking in his tux. He wears it on our cruises and for my office Christmas party. I bought him an extra shirt and regular grey silk tie to wear on the second night (like we rented before we bought the tux). We may repeat on the third night. I agree wholeheartedly with Merryecho....we women have a lot to handle on formal nights, too. Those sequins are heavy on some outfits. And, my heals are not the normal shoe type for me. Try sliding down the hallways on a rocking ship with backless mules, you guys! Ditto for the "enhancer" and/or the control tops!.

Archived