Formal night attire on HAL ships

TorontoTL

OK, so I have a question, not a flame. I am from Arizona. Out here we consider socks with your shorts formal. In fact, I only know 3 people who own dark suits and two of them are undertakers. Now, when it says tie, does that include stringties - of which I have many, some quite beautiful with all the turquoise and so forth - or does it mandate one of those silly eastern type tie ties of which I own none?

And, if they want me to get really formal, I can wear my boots with my shorts - that makes a statement.

Winks

I sure don't want to get caught up in all this foolishness about dress codes. Just wanted to make an observation. It is very cut and clear as to whether men adhere to the dress code.

1. Formal nights - Is he wearing a coat and tie? Yes, you pass. No, eat elsewhere.
  2. Informal nights - Same thing, but with a coat, tie optional.

Seems to me that women have much more leeway in what is considered acceptable for formal and informal nights, as the definition is not as cut and dry.

The question has certainly been answered by many people who have a wealth of experience on HAL. It's really quite simple: you signed up for a cruise on a fairly upscale line. When you did you knew (or should have known) what style of cruise HAL provides and made a conscious choice to go along with that.

When in Rome....

HAL has it's rules and the bare minimum is a jacket/sports coat which is what I have been wearing since we started cruising HAL in 92. Hey rules are rules so I'm sure no one on this board would ever consider sneaking a bottle or two of booze onboard tucked away safely in their checked luggage.

Tuxedo's are for marrying in

Suits are for burying in

Yep :D No one here EVER breaks ANY rules ;)

Superstein,

Who decided that dressing up for dinner was a "silly outdated tradition?" I beg you not to make decisions for the rest of us. I love to dress up, rarely get the chance, and love to see my husband in a tuxedo. So please, don't wear appropriate attire if you don't want to, but don't tell me not to, especially when I'm following the dress code!

Beth

Beth - for the record - I did :D But its just my opinion - which I am entitled to - as you to yours.

furthermore - for the record, I UNLIKE MOST EVERYONE ELSE never tell anyone what to wear. I am on record here as saying "Everyone should do what they feel comfortable with "

I was not saying you shouldn't cruise on Hal. My point was that if you don't want to dress up, there are other places on a ship to have dinner on formal nights. Nobody forces you to eat in the dining room. Why not show some respect for the people who do like to dress up and abide by "silly outdtated traditions" and want to eat dinner with people who also want to enjoy a special dinner. It's only two nights per cruise!
And why not show some respect for people who want to be comfortable and not follow silly outdated traditions ???

Again - it all comes back to the simple question that no one has ever adequately answered without being shallow or a bigot (I am not refering to you DOT73):

How does what someone else wears impact your own enjoyment ???

One of the nicest couples we met on a RCCL cruise was from Scotland. He wore his dress kilt on formal nights. Since I have Scottish heritage, I loved it. In Nashville and in Texas, "black tie and blue jeans" is the dress for many occasions, like fundraisers. The Texas Society in D.C. has a "black tie and boots ball" at each Presidential inauguration. I, personally, find nothing offensive about the string ties. I've seen some entertainers in Nashville and Las Vegas that had belt buckles that would sell for the same as a small house. A formal night can have some character....even as simple as print cummerbunds and ties...ever seen a set with a golf or tennis motif?...we have them here. The point is, just be respectful of those that are enjoying formal night for what it is. Ridicule might be expected for something that is not even close to appropriate.

If you want to consider it a regional outfit, like kilts, why not. But don't forget to bring your mule.

No problem there - we Arizonans already sent all our mules to New Mexico. Texas has enough of their own jackasses and didn't need any extra.

Winks

I'm sorry, supterstein61, but I really don't appreciate your characterizing Jerry, or any other Maitre'd, as "grouchy" and "uptight" simply because they're doing their job and politely, with great civility, patience, and sensitivity, asking errant passengers to conform to the dress code. To call them "grouchy" and "uptight" is both an unkind and an untrue characterization of these men; in Jerry's case, he's a very pleasant, kind, and attentive fellow. I understand that you view the dress code as a negative thing, and such is hence coloring your interpretation of those Maitre'd who require observance of the code; however, it is truly unfair of you to seat their motivation in a negative assessment of their personality.

OK, scratch grouchy - how about hard line, stick up his . . . .

well you get the picture :)

Seriously - his job is to make sure the guests are comfortable and enjoying themself. Maybe he feels compelled to police the dress - but many of his counterparts do not - prefering to make their guests comfortable. To each his own

Superstein,

I have a question for you. I personally also don't care what other people wear. Although I don't mind getting dressed up, I think that three formal and two informal nights are a bit much for 10 days. However, I will either follow the dress code on those nights or possibly go to the Lido for one or more of them. That's fine, that's my choice.

But I'm wondering. You know how most people on this board feel about the dress code. You have as much chance of changing people's minds as they do of changing yours. So why do you keep getting drawn into these long debates?

It just seems so unproductive. I personally have much better things to do (like packing for my cruise in 3 days). WOOHOOO!!!!:) Sorry Superstein, there's a suit in my suitcase. Hmmm.... never noticed before. You pack your suit in a suitcase. Do you pack your clothes in a casualcase?:D

Sorry for the interruption. We now return you to your regularly scheduled debate.:rolleyes:

OK, so I have a question, not a flame. I am from Arizona. Out here we consider socks with your shorts formal. In fact, I only know 3 people who own dark suits and two of them are undertakers. Now, when it says tie, does that include stringties - of which I have many, some quite beautiful with all the turquoise and so forth - or does it mandate one of those silly eastern type tie ties of which I own none?

And, if they want me to get really formal, I can wear my boots with my shorts - that makes a statement.

Winks

YEE HAH !!!

My kind of dress Winks !!!

And seriously - the stringtie would be fine

One of the nicest couples we met on a RCCL cruise was from Scotland. He wore his dress kilt on formal nights. Since I have Scottish heritage, I loved it. In Nashville and in Texas, "black tie and blue jeans" is the dress for many occasions, like fundraisers. The Texas Society in D.C. has a "black tie and boots ball" at each Presidential inauguration. I, personally, find nothing offensive about the string ties. I've seen some entertainers in Nashville and Las Vegas that had belt buckles that would sell for the same as a small house. A formal night can have some character....even as simple as print cummerbunds and ties...ever seen a set with a golf or tennis motif?...we have them here. The point is, just be respectful of those that are enjoying formal night for what it is. Ridicule might be expected for something that is not even close to appropriate.

EXACTLY !!!

I have never advocated coming in shorts and a t-shirt. The original poster planned to wear a dress shirt and tie. That is certainly not out of place - nor was my fancy cuban short or my fancy mexican shirt.

people can still be very presentable without resorting to a tux or suit

Superstein,

I have a question for you. I personally also don't care what other people wear. Although I don't mind getting dressed up, I think that three formal and two informal nights are a bit much for 10 days. However, I will either follow the dress code on those nights or possibly go to the Lido for one or more of them. That's fine, that's my choice.

But I'm wondering. You know how most people on this board feel about the dress code. You have as much chance of changing people's minds as they do of changing yours. So why do you keep getting drawn into these long debates?

probably for the same reason they continually get drawn in :D

BTW - congrats for not caring what others wear - thats the attitude everyone should have

Ok Superstein-

I agree you aren't telling us what to wear- just what "attitude" we should adopt.

Why, when you insist on flaunting conventions, do you seem so unhappy that people disagree with you? Maybe you just like mixing it up?:D

Beth

Why do some posters feel the need to respond to 50% of the posts on this thread?:confused: :p

I still think the rule wear whatever you think is comfortable in is just plain Du--!

I am really comfortable wearing an old pair of boxer shorts. Is that appropriate under your rules? If it isn't, then we can all agree that that rule is in fact Du--!!!!

By the way the cruise like life isn't all about what feels comfortable.:D I feel a crusade, without a point, here.:p

jc

Hello all, I have read through all the posts about formal night for men, but I'd like to know how formal the women get? Dresses to the floor or is a black knee length acceptable? My sister and I are bringing my Mother (she is a first time cruiser). ;)

Short black knee length is quite acceptable. Our daughter wears a short black dress and pearls for one formal night and a 3 pc. silk pant outfit for another night and she looks smart. Don't forget the pearls. :D That little black dress with pearls goes anywhere. Oh, boy, am I dating myself? :D

Folks - I think Superstein is pulling everyone's leg and just trying to get everyone's goat. I bet deep down, he really does dress in formal clothes. ;)

Come on Superstein - fess up - you're not really a non-conformist are you. :D

Again - it all comes back to the simple question that no one has ever adequately answered without being shallow or a bigot (I am not refering to you DOT73):

How does what someone else wears impact your own enjoyment ???

It doesn't. However ... and perhaps it's the pastoral part of me at work here ... I do have some concern for those who might be surprised and embarrassed by being asked to return to their cabins for the required attire after having been told by some on this board that they could safely attend Formal night without a jacket. For instance, you stated:

The original poster planned to wear a dress shirt and tie. That is certainly not out of place - nor was my fancy cuban short or my fancy mexican shirt.

While such is certainly your opinion -- and you got away with it on the Zuiderdam -- the truth is that such is, indeed, "out of place" on HAL on formal night. When the Daily Program specifically states that "Jacket and Tie" are "required" on formal night (and it does), how can anyone reasonably make the claim that one can attend without the jacket and think it's "ok." Note: I'm not talking about one being able to get away with it; just because one manages to get away with it doesn't make it "ok." And, what if one doesn't get away with it and, due to advice given him here, has no way to meet the requirement? It is for THIS eventuality that I am concerned, superstein61 ... for the innocent who hasn't been on a cruise but who might take your word as Gospel and be caught up short as well a for you. Let us say you decide to take a Cruise to Hawaii on the Statendam in 2005. It's a GREAT cruise. While you're in the islands all the nights are "Hawaiian Casual." It's wonderful! You'll even get laied during the first night ... and in the dining room, no less! :D ;) However, during the 5 nights in-transit to and from Hawaii there will be 2 formal nights each way. Those formal nights, on the Statendam, are enforced. If you try to have formal night dinner in the Rotterdam Dining room dressed in anything less than a jacket and tie you will be asked to return to your cabin for the proper attire. This isn't snobbery, nor is it even "old fashioned." It's called being asked to have "respect for the Line's Dress Code." I don't want this kind of thing to happen to you, or anyone else you advise, and you be caught without at least a sports jacket.

Thanks, Rev.

I found out....it is Jerry Spiels. A very nice gentleman we have sailed with in the past. Obviously, he is 'tending well' to his dining room.

It's Jerry Spies - no L (pronounced Spees). Have sailed with Jerry for over 20 years. He's one of the long-time HAL Maitre'ds

Ok Superstein-

I agree you aren't telling us what to wear- just what "attitude" we should adopt.

Why, when you insist on flaunting conventions, do you seem so unhappy that people disagree with you? Maybe you just like mixing it up?:D

Beth

Beth - My point on all of these formal dress threads has always been:

1. people should do what they personally feel comfortable doing

2. no one should look down upon or criticize another person based on how they dress

What is so wrong with that attitude?

As far as people disagreeing with me - thats their problem, not mine. If they are too shallow to worry about how someone else dresses, they have bigger problems than me disagreeing with them

Archived