Maasdam, 14 day

ON cruiser

Folks,

A few questions for those experienced cruisers who have recently taken the Maasdam 14 day Caribbean cruise. My wife and I are on this (for us) lengthy cruise in the very late fall season.

Mainly, given as it is a port-intensive itinerary, what are the expectations for formal dress? Are there two formal nights per week (4 in all) or fewer given that almost every day is a "port-day"? Anyone know how many formal nights? Do most passengers dress up for those nights, or are the majority of men in a jacket and tie, not a tux/dinner jacket?

Any other suggestions, such as which ports offer the best beaches, which tours did people particularly enjoy, any hidden areas on the ship worth exploring, any things to perhaps avoid?

All suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks,

We did a similar cruise just this past May -- on the Veendam out of Tampa -- those ports are great!! We also did it years ago!!

And we did have 4 formal nights.

We have found that on longer cruises people tend to dress up more.

DH always takes and wears his tuxedo on formal nights. And yes we have to fly.

What sailing are you on??

Head to the roll card section and join your sailing group.

This is a great way to meet fellow cruisers on your sailing, exchange ideas and suggestions.

For example, on my upcoming sailing, we had someone that gave a great tip on a hotel with a very reasonable rate with free airport and cruiseport shuttle!

Also, you can find out who is also doing tours, suggestions for beaches, dining,etc.

Happy sailing!!

Thanks--do appreciate the response re dressing--no worries there as my wife and I prefer and feel more comfortable to dress on the formal nights.

As for pre-post cruise hotels, with some Hilton Honors points we are looked after on that score, but what about the ports?? Have never been to some of these yet, such as Martinique, etc., that I guess on this itinerary we get to explore. Nice to depart from the tried and true Caribbean, but does anyone who did these ports have ideas re which is the best for just a "simple beach" where we can loll about for a part of the day, or go snorkeling? Or any other things that these ports offer? I am not too ambitious when on holidays...and expect that we will return hom just before Christmas very mellow from our cruise.

Sail 7 Seas, I have enjoyed what I believe are your posts the Maasdam, and if you have any specific suggestions of lounges, specific pluses on this ship, etc. that we would enjoy, please feel free to comment. My wife and I generally go to the Ocean Bar pre-dinner (we have usually booked the later seating) and then at 8 head down to dinner. We regret that the shows are likely now too early for us to enjoy them due to the change...but that is another topic!

I don't know if it will remain the same but for our recent Maasdam cruises, they changed Main Upper Traditional Dining from 8:00 to 7:30 in order for more people to see the shows after dinner. Reports I heard was it worked and the shows were very much better attended. But that was on a port intensive Canada/New England itinerary. Don't know if that will remain when the ship goes south.

We think Maasdam's Dining Room one of the most beautiful in the fleet.

We love Ocean Bar on Maasdam and have spent lots of time there through the years. :)

Any specific questions, ask away and I'll try to help.

Crows Nest on Maasdam is fun, as well.

Many thanks Sail 7 Seas for your reply. We have been on other R and S class ships (Amsterdam, Zaandam, Ryndam,) but not yet on the Maasdam, and from your comments here and on your other threads, we look forward to enjoying the ambience of the dining room, the OB Crows nest, etc. Sigh...after this busy work week, I wish we were aboard right now!

If you have any comments re ports, please pass them along. Thanks.

On cruiser:

We are doing this sailing in November. We generally do 14 day cruises and there are usually 4 formal nights. My DH usually wears a suit and feels very comfortable in that. Our 14 day over Thanksgiving does not go to Martinique, but Guadoloupe instead. We have been to Martinique in the past and gone snorkeling with a ships excursion but it was not great. Much better snorkeling in other places.

Archived