Dirty comforters?

Markk

I know that comforters in cabins aren't changed everytime new passengers board. I was wondering if anyone has ever asked their cabin stewart upon arrival for clean comforters or if this is even possible.

And does anyone even know how often they actually are changed. I am being a germ freak I know, (I always travel with my own pillow) but am contemplating spilling a drink on the comforter, oops, and request a new one if I have to.

Well, that wouldn't be very nice, would it?:rolleyes:

Why not do what I do - take a small can of Lysol disinfecting spray? I'm not a fanatic, but I do like to spray the carpet, bedding, pillows, and bathroom. I do the same when going to a hotel. Then I don't have to worry about it. EZ

I have seen them being changed on NCL as I have boarded and disembarked. Are you sure they don't change them once a week? Hotels are the same way - I always take my comforter off the bed in the hotel.

NCL uses the duvet style comforter so there is no top sheet, just a blanket/comforter. I have never been on CCL - is it different.

I know that comforters in cabins aren't changed everytime new passengers board. I was wondering if anyone has ever asked their cabin stewart upon arrival for clean comforters or if this is even possible.

And does anyone even know how often they actually are changed. I am being a germ freak I know, (I always travel with my own pillow) but am contemplating spilling a drink on the comforter, oops, and request a new one if I have to.

Ok, germ freak (don't worry, not a flame, I am one, too!), just remove the comforter from the bed & place it in the closet for the duration of the cruise. Ask the cabin stewart to not place the comforter back on the bed. Also ask for an extra blanket and flat sheet. Lay the extra blanket on top of the one that is already on the bed then place the flat sheet on top of that. Now, you have your very own sterile comforter and only the flat sheets will touch your skin/face. :D

Happy sailing,

T.

Wasn't there some chatter recently about the new comforters having duvets? If that's the case you could always take it to the laundry yourself?

No wonder there are so many antibiotic resistant germs out there! Everyone goes around with Lysol can "disinfecting" everything! Yes, it is gross to think about big dirty rear ends sitting on a comforter and now it's your turn to use it. However, what are you going to do, lick the comforter? Just fold it up and put it in the closet or ask your room attendant to stash it for you somewhere. As far as spraying the whole room, what do you think you are "killing" that would harm you if you didn't spray? Do you spray restaurant seats before sitting down? I hope not. The telephone in the room may have germs, but are you going to lick that, too? Elevator buttons, handrails, door knobs/pulls, items in the gift shops, and money (probably the dirtiest) are all handled by many people everyday and we don't have to spray those! As a person that used to worry about those things, I found it just wasted my time and money. I go to enjoy my cruise (or any vacation for that matter) and decided to give up the germ issues. I have found that I enjoy my vacations much more by letting that go. If I get a cold or a bug, oh well, I'll get over it. Just use the basic sanitary practices like washing your hands and "it's all good"! By the way, you'll be more likely to catch something by some inconsiderate person coughing and sneezing and not covering their mouth anyway! Here's hoping no one takes this as being hateful, but just give it a thought.

Wasn't there some chatter recently about the new comforters having duvets? If that's the case you could always take it to the laundry yourself?
OMG, how could you dare ask the PAX to take care of something themselves!!! :eek:

but am contemplating spilling a drink on the comforter, oops, and request a new one if I have to.
Better yet OP throw the mattress out the balcony, who knows if it might have a dirty old germ somewhere in there! I would advise taking a sledge hammer to the bathtub as well, have you seen the germs that could lurk in a drain? Or if none of those seem to fit the bill, perhaps setting fire to the entire ship will make it sanitary enough for you!:D:p

Don't mean to sound so paranoid. Just read too many threads about Norwalk Virus. Sure would hate to spend my cruise stuck in cabin with that. I guess just use good hand washing techniques.

Tef, "Monk" is one of my favorite shows!

No wonder there are so many antibiotic resistant germs out there! Everyone goes around with Lysol can "disinfecting" everything! Yes, it is gross to think about big dirty rear ends sitting on a comforter and now it's your turn to use it. However, what are you going to do, lick the comforter? Just fold it up and put it in the closet or ask your room attendant to stash it for you somewhere. As far as spraying the whole room, what do you think you are "killing" that would harm you if you didn't spray? Do you spray restaurant seats before sitting down? I hope not. The telephone in the room may have germs, but are you going to lick that, too? Elevator buttons, handrails, door knobs/pulls, items in the gift shops, and money (probably the dirtiest) are all handled by many people everyday and we don't have to spray those! As a person that used to worry about those things, I found it just wasted my time and money. I go to enjoy my cruise (or any vacation for that matter) and decided to give up the germ issues. I have found that I enjoy my vacations much more by letting that go. If I get a cold or a bug, oh well, I'll get over it. Just use the basic sanitary practices like washing your hands and "it's all good"! By the way, you'll be more likely to catch something by some inconsiderate person coughing and sneezing and not covering their mouth anyway! Here's hoping no one takes this as being hateful, but just give it a thought.

Jeepers, you are about to get my OCD going again.

You are about to get my OCD going again

You are about to get my OCD going again

Steve:confused:

When we sailed on the Legend our comforter had some ahem "tracks" on it and I asked the room steward for a clean comforter AND blankets. No problem he brought them immediately.

Yes and I confess I am a neat freak. Did that gross me out yup!! But it was cleaned up asap and we had a wonderful cruise. Room steward turned every shade of red. He was so embarassed.

I'm with YOU Markk......I disinfect everything when traveling also! Am I going to lick the phone, shower stall, toilet seat, comforter??? OF COURSE NOT....but, I'm going to keep myself and my family as protected as possible from ANY kind of virus! Thus the reason my elementary school kids have NEVER missed a day of school. And those of you flaming (or making fun of) Markk are probably those that go to the bathroom and never wash their hands (you know who you are). eeeeeeeekkkkkkkkk!!!

SevenVII is right on! I surely do wash my hands after using the washroom as does every person with good hygiene skills! Like I said in my previous post, just simple cleanliness methods are fine and one does not have to go "overboard" (ha!) doing the sanitizing. Yes, I agree also that thinking of dirty hineys on the comforter would make anyone gag! But those germs aren't going to hop off and into your face! Without a shadow of a doubt, if I saw "tracks" I would call the room attendant ASAP ! By the way, think about the washcloths! Ha, ha, . . . that image should stoke the fire!

By the way, think about the washcloths! Ha, ha, . . . that image should stoke the fire!

Would that be pre or post of the above mentioned track laying? ;)

Ok, germ freak (don't worry, not a flame, I am one, too!), just remove the comforter from the bed & place it in the closet for the duration of the cruise. Ask the cabin stewart to not place the comforter back on the bed. Also ask for an extra blanket and flat sheet. Lay the extra blanket on top of the one that is already on the bed then place the flat sheet on top of that. Now, you have your very own sterile comforter and only the flat sheets will touch your skin/face. :D

Happy sailing,

T.

Thanks everyone. I love this idea and that's what I am going to do. I am not into spraying lysol on my bedding. Think that is gross too. And to the poster who suggested throwing the mattress overboard. Now there's an idea. Maybe I can fit my camping foamy in my suitcase as well. HA!!

Would that be pre or post of the above mentioned track laying? ;)
I guess post, hopefully. However, they should've used TP!! If someone's that gross they probably used the comforter as their washcloth. You and SevenVII "crack" me up! Hahahahah. Yeah, Seven VII, I agree with the full body condom! Hahahahah!:D :D

I am not into spraying lysol on my bedding. Think that is gross too.

What exactly is gross about spraying a disinfectant? It helps eliminate germs. Less germs = healthier person.;)

I would use Lysol to clean a bathroom or floor, but spray it on a pillow, then put your face in it????? Not me! This product is full of chemicals that you and I really know nothing about. You want to put your face in that???? This is just some of the info I found through Google:

Formaldehyde, Phenol, Benzene, Toluene and Xylene are ALL found in COMMON household cleaners. These chemicals are KNOWN to be cancer causing and toxic to the immune and nervous systems.

~ Some symptoms caused by phenols, which are absorbed by lungs, and skin are: (besides being possibly fatal) Caustic burns, kidney and liver damage and hyperactivity.

~ "Lysol" is even more dangerous than we thought. Lysol contains phenols and dioxin (Agent Orange).

Is all this true?? You and I will never know. I may sound like an extremist to some of you now, (I really am not) and I realize there are millions of things I could be worried about, (Laundry soap used to wash the pillow case for example) but I accept the things I have no control over. AND I CAN CONTROL THE FACT THAT THERE WILL BE NO LYSOL ON MY PILLOW!

One more thing, Lysol "kills" germs, it does not ELIMINATE them. Would you just spray Lysol on the above mentioned "tracks" and not worry about them anymore?

I would use Lysol to clean a bathroom or floor, but spray it on a pillow, then put your face in it????? Not me! This product is full of chemicals that you and I really know nothing about. You want to put your face in that???? This is just some of the info I found through Google:

Formaldehyde, Phenol, Benzene, Toluene and Xylene are ALL found in COMMON household cleaners. These chemicals are KNOWN to be cancer causing and toxic to the immune and nervous systems.

~ Some symptoms caused by phenols, which are absorbed by lungs, and skin are: (besides being possibly fatal) Caustic burns, kidney and liver damage and hyperactivity.

~ "Lysol" is even more dangerous than we thought. Lysol contains phenols and dioxin (Agent Orange).

Is all this true?? You and I will never know. I may sound like an extremist to some of you now, (I really am not) and I realize there are millions of things I could be worried about, (Laundry soap used to wash the pillow case for example) but I accept the things I have no control over. AND I CAN CONTROL THE FACT THAT THERE WILL BE NO LYSOL ON MY PILLOW!

One more thing, Lysol "kills" germs, it does not ELIMINATE them. Would you just spray Lysol on the above mentioned "tracks" and not worry about them anymore?

I agree. The chemicals in Lysol are far more toxic than any germs you might come across. To clean non-porous surfaces like bathtubs and garbage cans, it's all good. But to spray on bedding or in the air wouldn't be prudent, at this juncture. Good old fasioned hand washing has been proven to prevent 95% of infections. So just wash your hands after sitting on that nasty comforter with the skid marks on it. Seriously, if it had obvious filth on it, I would ask for a replacement, otherwise, just don't worry, mon.

Archived