Venice Gondola Ride- Day or Night??

We haven't done the gondola yet, but since we will be in Venice soon, have read lots. Figured we'd decide when we got there. Supposedly it is cheaper during the day, but the early evening is very pretty and with the evening lighting, very romantic. But... unless you pay for a private gondola ride, the boat will have up to 6 people in it and I think I read only one couple actually can sit next to each other. ????

If anyone can clarify that better for me, I'd appreciate it.

Just returned this week from the Med - please remember that the Gondola ride is only about 40-60 minutes (depending on your pricing) - if there are only two of you - normally sit beside each other - if larger group - then often times it is individual seating and even sometimes facing each other which blocks the view for those at the back. Depending on where you decide to "sail" from determines the rates - Grand Canal is higher than the back side canals.

Suggestion - if you wish to see both day and night - jump on the Valporetto (water taxi) 6 Euros per person one way - and ride the entire length of the Grand Canal and then get off and either walk back or ride it back - it was a beautiful way (although sometimes full - we did get seats for the entire trip - even at the front outside) and saw all the sights from the water - definitely worth the time and money. From St Marks to the end was about 1 hour 15 minutes

Whatever you do - Enjoy - it is stil the most magical place!

I agree with Cruiser Nonna; take the #1 vaporetto the length of the Grand Canal during the day, then the gondola at night. We did the night time gondola and it was magical! So quiet, very little canal traffic, and we were able to see buildings quite well. The gondolas will go on the smaller canals and your gondolier will point out the historic buildings. That ride is one of my favorite memories of Venice.

• 1 month later...
Should a gondola ride be booked ahead or is it easy to get one anytime? What kind of pricing for sunset serenade ride?

We had no trouble locating a gondola for our night-time ride. During the day when we were wandering around Venice, we noticed that gondolas collected at certain areas so we just found our way back to one of those areas. Unfortunately, I can't remember the price for our 45-minute ride but I do know the night rides are more expensive than the daytime rides.

My vote is for the evening ride.

I felt like I got an idea of what the canals were like during the day riding on the vaporetti and just walking beside and over the canals.

But at night - that's a whole different world. We shared a gondola with another couple we were travelling with. Our gondolier pointed out a few things of historic interest when we first started out, and as it got really dark, he did a little half-hearted singing, then everyone in the boat fell silent. It was so atmospheric on those canals at night - a few lights, dark buildings that make you wonder what they house during the day, maybe another gondolier passing silently beside you, a little music as we passed an opera house - one of the most magical experiences I've had.

And to think I almost didn't go because I thought it would be too 'touristy'.

My vote is for a day ride if you are a photographer, and a night time ride if you want a romantic moment. I really did get my best pictures on the gondola ride. You would not get the same pictures on the water bus. I was able to maneuver all over to get great pictures. A lot with no body in them... If you want great pictures to take home of Venice, I would take on in the day. There was a kodak moment around every corner.

I took my son and his g/f to Italy last year for 3 weeks.. They actual got engage over their. My husband and I took the kids on an evening ride. It was so beautiful and romantic and a great way to end a perfect in Venice.

If you need any further information about Venice or Italy I have a great private tour guide for the cities in Rome that we used during our stay. He was fantastic and all first class. You can email me at Dicrepe2@aol.com.

Diane

We went on a gondola ride at night. Some of the canals are so narrow and dark that you can't see anything & some areas smell bad, so it's not that romantic. To tell you the truth, I was anxious for the ride to end. You're better off doing this during the day. You can see more and get some nice pictures. The whole city of Venice is romantic anyway, so you really don't have to count on a nightime gondola ride.

I thought I wanted to do an evening ride as well,

But around 2pm after walking since 8am a gondolier approached us.

At 1st we said no, but then I asked if we could have lunch on the boat. He said that was fine ( I had been carrying around bread, fruit, and dried cured meats from the Rialto market and surrounding area.)He waited as We ran into a little shop and bought some wine. What a way to picnic. We were on smaller canals so it was very peaceful and a perfect way to have lunch and take a break. We did pop out on the Grand Canal.

Any recommendations on what time is best for a gondola ride?

I am thinking Sunset would be terribly romantic..

At night can you really see much?

I am probably overthinking this, as I am everything on this trip!

I'd say go at night, that way you wont see all the unpleasant stuff floating in the canal. At two different points we had a dead rat floating next to the gondola.

Be careful getting out of the gondola, I almost fell in the canal. I had one foot on the dock and one in the gondola when the boat floated away. Luckily my husband and our friend were able to grab me and keep me from swimming with the rats. :eek:

Last month we booked our gondola ride in the small square near the Bauer Hotel (many gondoliers there). It was a 45 min ride for about 120 euros total. We shared with another couple about 20 min before sunset. Traveled the Grand Canal as well as the other smaller canals. Sailed under the Rialto Bridge after dark ---- it was well lit and a magical experience. The gondolier told us about many of the buildings we were passing by.

We also sailed under the Bridge of Sighs.

We shared a small bottle of wine while on the ride and took many pictures. This was the beginning of our cruise and one of the most memorable experiences we had. We hope to go back again someday and we would definitely do this again.

Enjoy your trip.

Hello. We did the sunset gondola ride last June. The gondolier was surly, the gondola was overcrowded, but we still loved it! It gave a different perspective on the canals and life in Venice. I highly recommend it. Cynthia

A ride will last about 30-40 minutes so if you time it right, you can get a little of each. We got on right around sunset and had 15 minutes or so in the dark. It was very romantic to be in thr gondola at night. This was one of the best $100 we have ever spent. Our gondolier was wonderful- good belnd of talking, touring and letting us "be". Don't share this experience with anyone else to save money- it is too special. And, we too, brought a bottle of wine. One of the best memories of my life!

We, too, just dropped into one when we were exhausted from touring one afternoon and lucked into a singing gondolier. We attracted quite a bit of attention from the other, quieter gondolas. Our ride was 25 min for 80 euro and went onto the GC for a bit and under the Rialto, past Cassanova' s house and Marco Polo's (if you can believe the gondolier!) Beautiful photos and memorable. Glad we did it, despite the expense.

• 1 month later...
The just before sunset Idea sounds wonderful, Do you bring glasses with the wine? Are they readily available? Anyone have any other advice for picking a gondolier? Areas to look etc?

We brought our own glasses (I had packed some plastic glasses just for this purpose). The wine was a nice touch while gliding thru the canals. We shared with another couple and were quite comfortable. I believe it would have been too crowded with six people (although many do that - especially the ship tours). Book it yourself rather than a ship tour. This was a thrill. Wish we were going again!! Have fun.

The just before sunset Idea sounds wonderful, Do you bring glasses with the wine? Are they readily available? Anyone have any other advice for picking a gondolier? Areas to look etc?

There are many wine/beer stores all over. You buy a bottle, the wine store will uncork it for you and give you plastic glasses, if you ask.

Is there a way to get a gondola for just two people? It just doesn't seem so romantic when others are along.

Yes - you can get the gondola for just two people. It is one price and doesn't matter if you have 2, 4 or 6 people. Ours was $140 for 45 min. We shared with another couple and split the cost.

The cruise ship tours, however, are always for six people (anyways they were on our ship) and they charge you per person (not per Gondola). Book your own.

Enjoy,

I don't recall seeing if the prices being quoted include a serenading gondolier or if this is an extra cost. Do you just ask when wanting to book if it includes the serenading and negotiate the price, or are there set prices for this as well?

Archived