Reputable Independent Tour Operators?

krissy72

There are 5 of us and going to St. Kitts for the first time. Would like to use an independent tour operator. Does anyone have recommendations?

Also, if this was your one and only time at this island what would be the one "Must Do" we should consider?

but Thenford Grey (thenang06@yahoo.com) gave us a wonderful tour of the island when we were there in March 2007. Here is how he described his tour. (Remember this was March 2007 - I would expect the cost per person has increased since then.)

Dear Visitor,

It may very well be the only time that you set foot on St Kitts so we will be happy to help you make the most of this excursion. We make our tours a bit flexible to give us the scope needed to cater to the specific tastes and desires of our guests.

Our tour first takes one through the quaint historic city of Basseterre which has a curious mix of French and English heritage and a comely blend of old and new architectual styles. The stately Berkely Memorial in the centre of The Circus, Independence Square with its blooming Talipot Palm (a once in a life time sight), the Co-Cathedral and St. George's Anglican Church are landmarks of historic Basseterre City which was founded in 1625 by French settlers.

After the 'City Highlights', we continue westward along the scenic coastal road to the first of our three major stops, Romney Manor-Caribelle Batik which was once owned by Capt. Samuel Jefferson, the great, great, great grandfather of President Thomas Jefferson. The great house which sits amidst 25 acres of lush tropical gardens, is now a batik factory turning out multi-colored prints of exceptional beauty. A collection of exotic plants, palms and trees from all over the world engages the senses in a profound way. The Bismark Palms, Travelers Palms and the incomparable, 370-year-old African Saman Tree are symbolic of the glories of nature.

The second major stop is at the majestic Brimstone Hill fortress National Park which is perched atop a volcanic cone that is 800 feet high and offers breathtaking views of the surrounding countryside and neighbouring islands. Brimstone Hill Fortress National Park is a World Heritage Site. (There is an $8.00 U.S. entrance fee for Brimstone Hill, all other stops are free.)

Along the way we will tell you about our interesting history and unique way of life.

We go next to Timothy Hill for panoramic views of the Frigate Bay Resort and the ethereal Southeast Peninsula. The golden sands of tranquil beaches with the cloud-capped, imposing Mount Nevis provide an awe-inspiring backdrop. Turtle Beach**, an additional option, is at the tip of the peninsula where one may interact with the green monkeys and Wilbur the famous pig or just relax, swim, snorkel, play beach volleyball, dine, etc.

If your trip is for a special occasion (birthday, honeymoon, etc.) or if you have any particular interests (birder, arborist), please let me know so that your tour may be tailored to your needs. Your age-range, home state or any other bit of information that you feel comfortable sharing will help us to provide you with an educational, fun-filled day on St. Kitts.

The tour will be conducted in new, high-roof, fully air-conditioned, 16-seater vans which have large clear windows that allow 360 degrees view and through-window photography. The van and driver will be dedicated to your full stay on the island. Choice of beach and length of stay on the beach are for you to determine.

The cost is $30.00 U.S. per person.

Please see: www.brimstonehillfortress.org

www.caribellebatikstkitts.com

** note - Turtle Beach has closed since then - if or when reopening I don't know

I would have to say Brimstone Hill Fortress would be my "must do" but every place Thenford took us was great!

Some pictures:

2064812670101116058S600x600Q85.jpg

2532003630101116058S600x600Q85.jpg

You can see more pictures here:

http://family.webshots.com/album/558697699kFayfE?start=36

Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I booked with Ilva Wallace for my stop in St Kitts.

They had moved where the local vendors meet you so the police called Ms. Wallace and told her that I was in the new place.

Ms. Wallace greeted me with a warm smile and hug and we were on our way.

I went the all over St. Kitts and had a wonderful time. Ms. Wallace is full of local history, culture and insight on her island home.

I was never rush when visiting Romney Manor,Brimstone Hill or any of the other points of intrest.

This is a wonderful island and the people were very nice. I was please that I didn't encounter a single pushy vendor. Ever vendor was polite and thanked me, even when I didn't buy nothing. I even just talked to a few without them ever asking me to buy anything. They mainly wanted to enjoy their island and tell others about it.

I asked Ms. Wallace about eating lunch at a local place and she took me to a resturant near the center of town. There was a brisk business with people coming in either eating there or getting their food to go.

Ms. Wallace told me to take my time and enjoy lunch. The owner of the resturant told me about the dishes she offered and I had a great lunch for under $10. I then met with Ms. Wallace and thanked her.

I would suggest Ms. Wallace to anyone who visit St. Kitts!! I would never forget her warm welcome to her island!!

yes i can second the recommendation for Mr. Grey he is very professional and I think we paid $40 last jan... we liked him so much we booked him again for this jan for a volcano hike

We just did a tour with Mr. Grey last week and let me say the day spent with him was lovely :)

How much does Mr. Grey charge for a tour of the island?

We just returned last week also from the Caribbean...Thenford charges $35pp..but we paid him $40pp because he did a great job...he is very informative about his island and even sang to us! We had an island tour which included a few mini stops, Botanical gardens, Brimstone Hill Fortress, & Cockleshell beach...Cockleshell beach in front of Reggae bar was okay, but if you walked away from bar the beach became beautiful....

IMG_5761.jpg.2ff0f73488274e6e001eb600f7603198.jpg

IMG_5799.jpg.134f5fff8e7df7b159057f9eba7d2d1a.jpg

IMG_5845.jpg.62afeebbcc7be25892f76ecce7d2e295.jpg

IMG_5892.jpg.3898565b41bfa818cf36c442b3be6f0a.jpg

IMG_5934.jpg.023b3e8c41d34936cc80471260e827e8.jpg

tour prices are government controlled in St Kitts. There are preprinted menus of tours that each driver has with prices. We used Jim from Rose and Jim's (husband and wife) 2 years in a row doing different tours. We hired him for the whole day this year for about $200 (5 of us but his van would hold 10-11 comfortably). He was waiting in the taxi area when we disembarked. I understand that the prices are about to go up so I don't know what they'll be; we were actually quoted higher but when we arrived were told that the higher rates were not yet in effect. All prices are per person not per trip. We did a long island tour including a hike for the kids in the rain forest with great narratives. Saw ruins from the sugar processing plants of old. Went by the Fort, but didn't feel like hiking it. Stopped at the black beach where the lava flowed from the volcano 400 yrs ago; beautiful views. Saw the Batik store, gardens, etc. Saw some hurricane damages from Omar. He then dropped us at Cockleshell and returned at the agreed upon time and returned us to the ship. We paid him when we were finished. If anyone is interested, their email is rose_jim at sisterisles dot kn. Just FYI, I heard others on the ship complaining that they thought they had booked independent tours for their group and then found themselves on a bus type van with others not in their group. We had him all to ourselves; depends on what you want.

I emailed Thenford Grey a month ago and I got a reply after a week. Then I emailed to confirm the tour, making sure that we are getting what we wanted (private tour and back to ship for lunch, back out to a beach), but have heard nothing back.

Did the rest of you have difficulties in communication with him? I guess I expect a reply within a week or so, even if it is just a confirmation.

I sent a third email, asking him to please reply, but nothing.

Our trip is not coming up until January, but I like to have all my tours scheduled in time. Now I don't know if he will be there waiting for me, or if I should get someone else.

What do you all say?

Archived