Carnival May Put Conquest and Ecstasy in Houston

nolaAlive

"

Any port in a storm? You bet. With the cruise terminals shut down in Galveston, Texas, after Hurricane Ike, and no reopening set, Carnival Cruise Lines is hunting for another port, possibly Houston, to berth the two ships that it diverted to New Orleans, spokeswoman Jennifer de la Cruz said today.

“We would like to get those ships back to a Texas port as soon as possible,” said De la Cruz, adding that Carnival was talking with officials in Houston, which, of course, has its own storm recovery issues."

http://travel.latimes.com/daily-deal-blog/index.php/carnival-may-divert--2771/

"

Any port in a storm? You bet. With the cruise terminals shut down in Galveston, Texas, after Hurricane Ike, and no reopening set, Carnival Cruise Lines is hunting for another port, possibly Houston, to berth the two ships that it diverted to New Orleans, spokeswoman Jennifer de la Cruz said today.

“We would like to get those ships back to a Texas port as soon as possible,” said De la Cruz, adding that Carnival was talking with officials in Houston, which, of course, has its own storm recovery issues."

http://travel.latimes.com/daily-deal-blog/index.php/carnival-may-divert--2771/

Hope that works, it would be ideal for everyone.

I saw a post on the rollcall for the Sept 21 sailing that Conquest is leaving for Houston tomorrow morning and hopes to be able to dock there on Thursday.

Terri

Carnival is allowing folks to stay on the Conquest until up to next Sunday and dealing with getting folks off the ship as best they can after they dumped us in New Orleans, a port none of us expected to be in. Some couldnt get their flights changed until Thursday and with Ecstasy going in there tomorrow too, there arent enough rental cars to get everyone out of there.

Once we got thru Customs this morning, we were free to go back on the ship for the rest of the week and many are making plans to go out of New Orleans, so how could the Conquest pull out tomorrow??

tee I see the same post. I am still wondering how the heck they can do that after they told folks to change their airlines plans and go out of New Orleans?? But I do see that someone said they are going to sail away from New Orleans to Houston tomorrow. I know folks who changed their airlines and got rental cars and such and now they need to change all their plans again??

This was posted on my roll call, and the roll call for the 21st. I have yet to figure out which poster on board sent this over, so I am not saying this is the truth.. just passing on what was on the boards;

------

From Carnival to those on board in New Orleans....

September 15, 2008

Dear Carnival Guest:

We want to thank you for your patience and understanding as we work through all of the logistics for our return to the Galveston area. We sincerely apologize again for your inconvenience. Rest assured, we will do our very best to provide you with a high level of service while you are with us aboard the Carnival Conquest.

We have now decided to sail for Houston tomorrow at 11:30 AM. All guests that plan to debark must depart the ship by 9:00 AM. If you would like to have your luggage taken off the ship, we request that you leave it outside your stateroom tonight by 11:00 PM.

The shipping channel leading into Galveston and Houston remains closed to all traffic at this time. However, we anticipate that it will re-open by Thursday. This is subject to change, but it is based on all the information we have available to us now.

In addition, it appears that it may be a longer period of time before we will be able to utilize the cruise terminal and pier in the Port of Galveston. As a result, we have made arrangements to dock at the new cruise terminal in downtown Houston (the Bayport Cruise Terminal).

We are anticipating docking in Houston on Thursday at approximately 12:00 noon. We will then proceed with debarkation for all guests.

We still do not have confirmation on the status of the cars that are parked in Galveston. Access to Galveston remains restricted and we are very doubtful that guests will be able to go to Galveston to check on their cars. Our best suggestion at this time for guests with cars in Galveston is to try to make arrangements to be picked up in Houston by family or friends. If we are able to get any better information on this situation, we will provide it as soon as it becomes available.

In the meantime, please enjoy your evening aboard the ship or the nightlife in New Orleans.

Sincerely,

Captain

Special Note: The address for the Bayport cruise terminal in Houston is 4700 Cruise Road, Pasadena, Texas 77586

As someone who lives in Texas who disembarked the ship today in New Orleans. .... I cant believe it. I guess Carnival was getting too many complaints about leaving us in New Orleans and wanted a way to close the issues. .... but what about the folks who changed all their plans to leave from New Orleans for instance, now they have to change them again? What a mess this has been. They didnt tell us until 5 pm last night about going to New Orleans.

As someone who lives in Texas who disembarked the ship today in New Orleans. .... I cant believe it. I guess Carnival was getting too many complaints about leaving us in New Orleans and wanted a way to close the issues. .... but what about the folks who changed all their plans to leave from New Orleans for instance, now they have to change them again? What a mess this has been. They didnt tell us until 5 pm last night about going to New Orleans.

I don't think they have told anyone yet that they were to get ready to leave from New Orleans. So far Carnival has stuck to the fact that they will be back in Texas. I hope no one changed airline tixs yet... that could be a PITA to undo.

Are people still staying onboard until the ship gets to Houston? both Conquest and Ecstasy are in NOLA as I type. Ecstacy is at the Erato St. Terminal and Conquest is docked at an old wharf downriver. There are also a lot of Carnival crewmembers around town enjoying the Quarter and shopping.

DSC00071.jpg

DSC00076.jpg

DSC00081.jpg

Great pictures!

ohhhh.

I noticed Conquest was gone and Ecstasy wasn't quite there, so thought Conquest had left for Houston.

I know Bayport didn't have the necessary permits and such to open. They though it would take until the weekend to open. I guess Carnival jumped the gun a little.

Sorry to relay this info on the cars left in Galveston, but from the news footage they said they were all underwater during the storm and now they are just everywhere, facing different directions, up against each other and the fences, some floated blocks away. Right now no one is allowed on the island. They tried a "look & leave" today for residents to come on the island and check out their homes & businesses and then leave but the traffic getting down there was horrid and because they had to be off the island by 6pm, they had to turn away people and try and get tons of cars moving back in the other direction. And they didnt leave a lane for emergency and utility vehicles coming on the island so it was a big mess and they suspended it as of now. I think it will be weeks before anyone will be able to check on their car. Ad you can bet it will be totaled from the water damage. Maybe not the ones on the upper levels of the pier parking garage. It is really devastating to see Galveston as it is and remember it as it was. I want to throw up! Especially at the sight of Crystal Beach.. Lord help those!!!

Archived