What should Carnival have done better?

Erica@cruisecritic

What should Carnival have done differently?  

993 members have voted

1. 1. What should Carnival have done differently?

• Carnival should have provided free transport for all passengers from New Orleans to Texas.
    • Carnival should have provided transportation options to Texas -- at a reasonable cost.
    • Carnival should have helped all passengers with alternate travel plans from New Orleans.
    • Carnival should have communicated more frequently with guests about the ship's revised itinerary.
    • Carnival Ecstasy's five-night cruise should have been canceled when evacuations began in Galveston.
    • Carnival's only responsibility was to rebook flights for passengers who bought its air/sea package.

[quote name='firefly333']Where is INLAND when you are speaking of Galveston port exactly?? Im thinking neither of you have actually been to Galveston which is a island and the whole island flooded.

Yep, next time I park in Galveston, Im heading INLAND.[/quote]

LOL! Now that's a fact;)

[quote name='big_duck']Your car probably did anyway.[/quote]

Actually, the block I parked on was 3 - 5 feet higher, but someone told me they asked Cindy who said the cars are all totalled. I hoped I was saved by parking higher and inland, but I was still on the worst hit west side of the island.

Went today and looked at a car. My Dad wants me to wait until insurance pays me off and we see how little I get for a car I bought brand new with 20,000 miles on it. I think a used car next?? So, I dont lose so much if I lose it? He doesnt want me to buy someone else's problems, says people dont sell a car unless something is wrong with it.

[quote name='LHP']Man....remind me to never cruise with you with all that bad luck!!! :D

[/quote]

The A in Dan stands for adventure.:eek: :rolleyes:
When things go awry, Barb and I look at each other and say, "The adventure continues.":D I have had well more than my share of adventures, but I wouldn't change a thing, maybe fewer scars, but that's it.

Dan

[quote name='firefly333']Where is INLAND when you are speaking of Galveston port exactly?? Im thinking neither of you have actually been to Galveston which is a island and the whole island flooded.

Yep, next time I park in Galveston, Im heading INLAND.[/QUOTE]

LOL.....your right I have never been to Galveston. I guess I should have been more precise in what I meant by saying that was the best post on the whole thread....I didn't know you (or anyone else) were gonna pick it apart. I should have said that I thought it was good because she didn't totally blame Carnival but she didn't totally put all the blame on the cruisers of the Conquest....and it was also done without being overly dramatic & without attitude. She gave some opinions on what she thought the cruiser AND the cruiseline should/could do.
FWIW....I have been reading all this controversy & leaning toward that I would be upset too if I had went through all that & felt bad for you....and then you had to go & call me out....LOL.
Anyway....like I have said in some of my previous posts on this subject....I am glad all of you are safe & were able to have a good vacation in spite of all that happened.
I for one have never had a bad cruise...but I only cruise in Jan. & Feb. if that
makes a difference.

Happy Cruising

Carnival did what it was contracted to - and more. (I agree with the posters who talked about entitlement & our litigious society.) Everyone had their 7-day cruise. Carnival didn't make Ike, or send him to Galveston.
[LIST]
[*]Anyone who booked air travel thru Carnival was taken care of.
[*]The rest were given the option of making their own way home (covered by Vacation Protection Insurance), or staying onboard "till Galveston."[/LIST]To facilitate decision making, calls from cabin phones were free, internet access was half-price, and Carnival provided phone numbers for car rental agencies, airlines & local NOLA hotels. The Pursers desk was open 24/7 to answer questions. We phoned our insurance agent & got a claim started on our car, then notified family what was going on.

Anyone who paid attention knew that Galveston wasn't an option, but those of us who live here figured that they meant the closest point, and hoped for Houston. There was a lot of conferencing between the ship, Carnival Corp. and local Texas authorities... and who knows who all else! It was a very stressful time for them, as well as for us.

We waited until Carnival made its decision, then we made ours... a no-brainer at $10/day/person. Fine dining, excellent service, entertainment flown in for two nights... and lights, AC and running water. Better than overpaying for a flight home when the airports & roads were questionable!

When we debarked, which was a breeze, there [U]was[/U] power at the terminal... we used escalators. There was a smiling crew on shore to help us find our way in the new environment. Taxis abounded, as did luggage handlers. By that time, airports were opened and major roads were cleared. [I]No problem![/I] :D

Thanks again, Carnival!!!

[quote name='firefly333']I am so impressed with all the compasionate nice folks on CC, just cant get over how nice folks are here. NOT. lol

Being nice must be a old fashioned virtue?[/quote]

Just tired of the "poor me!" attitude. If you think people on cc are not nice why do you spend so much time on here complaining. Just a thought!

• 2 weeks later...
[FONT=Georgia][COLOR=seagreen]Unfortunately Carnival Customer service has decided not to offer the 25% discount on future travel to the Conquest passengers that had their cruise cancelled for 9-14-08. We did get a full refund (within 3 weeks) without any offer to help find another cruise to jump on to save our vacation. Try to schedule PTO time for 6 adults. I asked for any assistance possible to rebook onto a shorter cruise but was advised I needed to check the website and rebook when our refund arrived. [/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia][COLOR=seagreen][COLOR=blue]Fortunately we weren't onboard when Ike hit Galveston. I feel very sorry for those folks.... believe me. I just think Carnival let down a family with 3 cabins booked and simply dropped us.[/COLOR] [/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia][COLOR=seagreen]Accomodations could have been completed as early as Friday after Ike had struck...waiting until Sunday night to cancel this cruise was simply irresponsible. Carnival offered a 25% discount on future travel when our cruise was shortened to a 6 day cruise.... [COLOR=red]but when they completely cancelled the cruise via a recoreded phone message the discount was also "cancelled."[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR=red]Previous Carnival Conquest 2006[/COLOR]

Archived