What should Carnival have done better?

Erica@cruisecritic

What should Carnival have done differently?  

993 members have voted

1. 1. What should Carnival have done differently?

• Carnival should have provided free transport for all passengers from New Orleans to Texas.
    • Carnival should have provided transportation options to Texas -- at a reasonable cost.
    • Carnival should have helped all passengers with alternate travel plans from New Orleans.
    • Carnival should have communicated more frequently with guests about the ship's revised itinerary.
    • Carnival Ecstasy's five-night cruise should have been canceled when evacuations began in Galveston.
    • Carnival's only responsibility was to rebook flights for passengers who bought its air/sea package.

Why cancel at the time of evacuation? Hurricanes are notorious for not hitting where everyone thinks they might, and Ike could have moved to the east of Galveston, thereby sparing it completely from the damage it got. Cruise could have gone on as planned in that case.

Houston was, at that time and still to this day, a ghost town with limited electricity, water and sewer. Had everyone jumped on busses to Houston, there would have been no place for them to stay when they got there, no access at all to Galveston, and more misery piled on misery. Not a good choice.

Face it, Carnival tried to play the had it was dealt, and unfortunately they had too many twos to win.

Hurricanes can cause much damage in areas far from where the eye goes ashore. We had roads/buildings flooded and some minimal wind damage from Hurricane Gustav which came ashore west of New Orleans. Once there is an evacuation order they are pretty sure the area is in danger of receiving heavy weather.

As far as cancelling the cruise on the Ecstasy. I would guess those passengers who left their vehicles there and had to incur extra fees/charges wish that the cruise had been cancelled.

At least I don't feel so mean now as a large portion of the posters here agree with my point of view.

Sorry I know you folks had a bad experience but geez we are talking a major hurricane here with loss of life and property and I am pretty sure that the government agencies were not too concerned about getting the word out to Carnival corporation. They were too busy saving lives and feeding starving people.

At least you had a dry warm bed and food.

Not judge or jury...just wondering why you keep posting all over these threads about how isolated you felt on the ship with NO INFORMATON.

That is a bunch of gargage, when I spent an entire afternoon researching:

1.about Galveston not being a viable alternative and why....

2.about the Bayport Cruise terminal having little or no damage AND the employees being called into work and that is where Carnival would probably be going within the week...

3. taxi company names and phone numbers for when they returned to Bayport...

4. a map of Houston showing current road conditions (68 segments of flooding at the time) and subsequent updates and power outages, so that people like YOURSELF who were posting on here during the cruise BEFORE you got to New Orleans.... would have all the info they needed.

So if "being so isolated with no information" is not "exactly the truth"...pardon me for not believing you about the rest of it!

Everyone is different. Until you walk in my shoes, how can you know what I felt?? Very odd, but then I do get it. Folks who were not on the ship feel we dont have the right to our opinion.

I said the reason I felt isolated was because neither of the two ladies I was with had the mental resources to discuss the situation with and help me to decide what to do (and both were mobility challenged with multiple physical disorders). Both were depending on me to figure things out and to get them home. I know now I was wrong to take a 2nd disabled person who could not have cruised without me doing this for her, per you.

I was having the make decisions all by myself. Sorry you dont believe me, but thats ok, I get it that you werent there.

I tried to tell the other lady that I just cant take her on the Crazies Conquest next year, but she wouldnt accept that she was more work for me. I know I cant handle this again next year with a 2nd disabled person, I accept that, but that doesnt mean this time this was not MY experience. Two mentally and physically challenged people in a emergency situation was a lot. I sorry you dont believe it. Everyone can blame me all they want for saying it was hard to deal with.

Well firefly, I was on that ship with you. I too feel the misinformation, and lack of information made the situation a whole lot worse than was nesscessary.

And for those attacking you:

Walk a mile in our shoes.

And just before you all attack me about how good we had it read this:

I have a sister in Houston that lost her home from Ike.

A daughter who lost everything from a fire.

And 20+ years in a job that shows me human pain everyday.

Carnival was supposed to keep us safe. For that they get an A+

For anything thing else F

Suvivor Conquest

9/7/8 sailing

The two things that I did not like is that Carnival did not give passengers the

option that I know of to cancel their cruise, Knowing what was getting ready

to happen. Mainly with the Ecstasy sailing, by then everyone knew for sure it

was gong to be a direct hit. Think how much money Carnival cost the

insurance companies that have to replace all those cars. There were a lot of

people on the boards that tried to cancel and were told that they would lose

all of there money if they did because the ship was sailing on time. I don't

think that a refund or discount off is in order but future credit would have

been nice. Also I doubt if any one has heard much about their car insurance

yet but some company may try not to pay when they find out that the

vehicle was taken into Galveston during a mandatory evacuation.

Also, I think that Carnival should have aloud the passengers of the sailing

that were canceled to try to rebook on another ship as soon as all of this

mess started. I know that when I get vacation time it is hard for me to give

it back. Meaning that if I take time off I am going to be off I can not just

show back up at work and say April fools I'm not really on vacation, my shifts

are covered. for people like me if I were booked I would have tried to find a

empty cabin on any ship going any where. This option would of cost Carnival

very little if anything, but it would have made many passenger happy.

Also I doubt if any one has heard much about their car insurance yet but some company may try not to pay when they find out that the vehicle was taken into Galveston during a mandatory evacuation.

There is no such exclusion. Given what happened, the auto insurance company would owe the claim if someone had comprehensive insurance.

Also, I think that Carnival should have aloud the passengers of the sailing that were canceled to try to rebook on another ship as soon as all of this mess started.

Most of the ship's sail full. I doubt that there would have been any open cabins that close to a sail date.

I think that Carnival messed up on two items.

1) The five-day cruise should have been canceled as soon as evacuations were announced for Galveston.

2) Buses to the New Orleans airport should have been provided. I don't buy the "passengers had flights at all kinds of times" line. That happens regularly on disembarcation day, so why couldn't they handle this one. It would be easy for them to say "buses will leave for the airport every hour on the hour starting at ..." then let the passengers select the appropriate bus.

DITTO TOO ON THAT.

But it all boils down to insurance.If you can afford to go on a cruise and stop here before anyone says( i budget for the cruise only)you budget for the insurance as well or just don't cruise. And if you go in the hurricane season because it's more affordable then you should be able to afford the insurance even better then.It runs between 100 to 200 per person which is relatively cheap to going through what the passengers are going through now.

Yes Carnival should have given all the passengers a bus ride but to where, Dallas. Houston isn't equipped right now to house people and NO ONE is allowed back into Galveston.

I wasn't aboard the Conquest but from what I'm hearing maybe they should have sent a memo to all cabins saying what their options were AT THE TIME.They only knew what they were going to do the day before. Myself i think they should have stayed in NOLA till all was clear before moving back to Houston.

I think no matter what cruise line it would have been there would be something not agreeable to everyone that they should or shouldn't have done.

Hoping Galveston recovers from all the destruction as well as Houston but believe me it will take a long time for the people of Galveston to recover mentally from this. After 3 years Katrina and Rita or still fresh in our minds as well as is Gustav and Ike.

GOD deals us a dirty hand once in a while and we just have to keep our faith,wisdom and strength.

Wishing everyone better cruises in their future.

The two things that I did not like is that Carnival did not give passengers the option that I know of to cancel their cruise, Knowing what was getting ready to happen. Mainly with the Ecstasy sailing, by then everyone knew for sure it was gong to be a direct hit.

You book during Hurricane season... then you take your chance.

Think how much money Carnival cost the insurance companies that have to replace all those cars.

So you think Carnival should take the hit for the huricane so the insurance companies don't have to...?

There were a lot of people on the boards that tried to cancel and were told that they would lose all of there money if they did because the ship was sailing on time.

I'm not sure what's not clear about this one. Folks should read their contract and understand it before signing.

I don't think that a refund or discount off is in order but future credit would have been nice.

Again, why is it Carnival problem? No one can predict mother nature.

Also I doubt if any one has heard much about their car insurance yet but some company may try not to pay when they find out that the vehicle was taken into Galveston during a mandatory evacuation.

Again... it's an insurance company issue... and again, folks better understand their contract with the insurance companies before the fact.

Also, I think that Carnival should have allowed the passengers of the sailing that were canceled to try to rebook on another ship as soon as all of this mess started.

I'm not clear on what sailing was canceled.

I know that when I get vacation time it is hard for me to give it back. Meaning that if I take time off I am going to be off I can not just show back up at work and say April fools I'm not really on vacation, my shifts are covered.

Again... you want Carnival to take responsibity for folks booking during hurricane season... those folks should take full responsibilty themselves.

For people like me if I were booked I would have tried to find a empty cabin on any ship going any where. This option would of cost Carnival very little if anything, but it would have made many passenger happy.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

There is no such exclusion. Given what happened, the auto insurance company would owe the claim if someone had comprehensive insurance.

I never wrote in my post that there is any exclusion I just know how insurance co act sometimes like if they can prove you left your keys in your car and it gets stolen they will try not to pay the claim. The other unfortunate thing is that a lot of the people that did drive will be upside down on what they owe on their cars. Insurance will only pay the market value not your loan amount if the car is a total loss, some people will have a chunk of change still owed even after they get pay off their check.

Subrogation: If your car is damaged because of another driver's negligence and you ask your insurance carrier to settle the claim for damage to your car, we will seek payment recovery (including your deductible) from the other party. This process of payment recovery is called subrogation.

Insurance companies could use the above to go after Carnival for damages, claiming that Carnival is negligent by not canceling or at least giving the option to cancel or change ships when they knew of the approaching danger.

I am not saying that any of this will happen at all, I just remember a few years ago when Fl got hit so hard the some insurance companies did anything they could not to pay. Mater of fact I think that state farm just settled a class action law suit from those storms in FL.

Most of the ship's sail full. I doubt that there would have been any open cabins that close to a sail date.

I know that my Legend cruise next week has at least 20 cabins left.

I also found cabins on many sailing from now Thur next week. Now I know that most ever one would not be able to change to a sailing that same week, but the people going on the Ecstasy and the Conquest were not even given a chance to look for a different optional cruise because Carnival kept telling them up until the last min that there cruise was still on and going to leave from Galveston.

I know that they say that they are full but their full and 100% occupied cabins are two different things every ship sails with a few cabins empty.

I know that for a fact because on two of my cruise I have had to change cabins and one of the times it was a suit to a suit change.

The big problem would be homeland security and the 24hr manifest rule.

The bottom line is that the captains of these two ships and Carnival did their job by keeping the ship and it passengers and crew safe.

Do I think they could have had a little better customer service? Yes

Do I think they could have been had a little leniency on their cancellation and re booking policy? Yes

Do I think they did any thing earth shattering wrong? NO

Do I think this is why people, including me, because I always sail during hurricane season, need to be aware of the possibility issues that my and do always come up during hurricane season? YES

Do I think that I you chose not to buy travel insurance and cruise during hurricane season you should not have the right to cry about it? YES

Ever since Hurricane Ike devastated Galveston this weekend, Carnival has been racing to make arrangements for Carnival Conquest and Carnival Ecstasy, the line's two Galveston-based ships. Now that the ships are finally headed for their temporary new home in Houston, cruise travelers are wondering whether Carnival could have handled the situation better. You can read more about the situation in our news item.

What do you think? Did Carnival do all that it could to help passengers in this unusual situation? Please vote in our poll.

There are two things that Carnival could've done better, and that is to (1) fully communicate the situation with their passengers in an open and frequent manner, and (2) make more thorough contigency plans.

Their current PR line is a joke; it doesn't extend any professional courtesy to your customers. Yes, there will be those that will complain endlessly. Yes, there will be those that planned poorly, even during hurricane season, and demand a handout. That behavior is to be expected and I will state that it's simply deplorable.

However, Carnival's willing actions to leave customers guessing at most avenues is dispicable. The golden rule is to fully communicate the situation with your customers so they can make an informed decision on how to proceed with reaching their destination.

This situation also could've been avoided had the company simply cancelled the sailings or had adequate plans in place should the need arise to not return to the point of origin. Think about that for a second...how do you readily take customers out for a trip knowing full well that there is a chance you might not be able to return to the point of origin...and not communicate and plan for it? I don't care what the odds are; haven't you ever heard of Mr. Murphy?

1) The five-day cruise should have been canceled as soon as evacuations were announced for Galveston.

2) Buses to the New Orleans airport should have been provided. I don't buy the "passengers had flights at all kinds of times" line. That happens regularly on disembarcation day, so why couldn't they handle this one. It would be easy for them to say "buses will leave for the airport every hour on the hour starting at ..." then let the passengers select the appropriate bus.

They had no problem having buses lined up for us to spend $30 trying to get to the airport on...so it seems that it was not busses, but the expense that they were not willing to assist with.

Again, for anyone ON the cruise, they understand what the complaints are...for anyone who did NOT go thru this experience with us, I too would find it almost impossible to believe that things were handled (or not handled) in the manner they were, but I think there are enough of us on this site that have posted EXACTLY the same information to draw the picture...we were abandoned with little more than a slap on the butt on the way out the door.

I love the "you could have stayed on the ship" response from Canrival...I can post you the EXACT letter from the Captain that was slid under or cabin door, and it stated...you can choose to stay with us until we can return to the port in Galveston, however at this time we have no idea when that might be and it does not appear to be anytime soon...so indications were you can sit here until....and use or ship as a HOTEL (yes, that word was spoken and written by Carnival, insuniating that you could come and go to find food from this location while you sleep in your room.

I am here to tell you that those of us that were aboard KNOW what happened, and for you that are trying to piece it together by second guessing why we did or how they did things is futile. Again, we post to help YOU in case you need to decide how to handle things faced with a similiar situation...please learn from OUR common voice on these mistakes during an emergency situation.

I think to get the depth of the way we were treated, why don't you ask those onboard EITHER ship if they would EVER travel Carnival again??? From the postings in the LA times about the subject, those of us you have heard from on this site are not alone in our feelings of being abandoned by Carnival without information.

They had no problem having buses lined up for us to spend $30 trying to get to the airport on...so it seems that it was not busses, but the expense that they were not willing to assist with.

Again, for anyone ON the cruise, they understand what the complaints are...for anyone who did NOT go thru this experience with us, I too would find it almost impossible to believe that things were handled (or not handled) in the manner they were, but I think there are enough of us on this site that have posted EXACTLY the same information to draw the picture...we were abandoned with little more than a slap on the butt on the way out the door.

I love the "you could have stayed on the ship" response from Canrival...I can post you the EXACT letter from the Captain that was slid under or cabin door, and it stated...you can choose to stay with us until we can return to the port in Galveston, however at this time we have no idea when that might be and it does not appear to be anytime soon...so indications were you can sit here until....and use or ship as a HOTEL (yes, that word was spoken and written by Carnival, insuniating that you could come and go to find food from this location while you sleep in your room.

I am here to tell you that those of us that were aboard KNOW what happened, and for you that are trying to piece it together by second guessing why we did or how they did things is futile. Again, we post to help YOU in case you need to decide how to handle things faced with a similiar situation...please learn from OUR common voice on these mistakes during an emergency situation.

I think to get the depth of the way we were treated, why don't you ask those onboard EITHER ship if they would EVER travel Carnival again??? From the postings in the LA times about the subject, those of us you have heard from on this site are not alone in our feelings of being abandoned by Carnival without information. I choose to vote with my wallet from this point forward...Carnival will get the message on how to ensure pax are treated in an emergency.

The two things that I did not like is that Carnival did not give passengers the option that I know of to cancel their cruise, Knowing what was getting ready to happen. Mainly with the Ecstasy sailing, by then everyone knew for sure it was gong to be a direct hit.

Yes, you do take a chance, but if no one booked during hurricane season June - Oct there would not be any other seasons for cruising because there would not be any ships around to go on because hurricane season is about 1/4 of the year and covers most of peak cruising season and loss of all that revenue would be devastating.

Originally Posted by GROUCHPUSS

Think how much money Carnival cost the insurance companies that have to replace all those cars.

So you think Carnival should take the hit for the hurricane so the insurance companies don't have to...?

Did I write that? NO I did not

What was met was that if Carnival would have let the passages on the Ecstasy cruise that left the day the storm hit have a choice to rebook another ship or another date many would have, and a lot of insurance claims could have be avoided. But instead the made the passenger make a use it or lose it decision either they went on the cruse or they lost the cruise fare which made I would think some people make a decision that they would not of made if they had a choice. Carnival did not do any against the contract with the passengers. They just caused themselves a PR nightmare and a lot of customers that won't be repeat customers.

I don't think that a refund or discount off is in order but future credit would have been nice.

What was meant was it would have be a good customer service if Carnival allowed the passengers on the Ecstasy cruise to cancel and get the fares that they already paid held in a form of a credit for future sailing. I did not mean a cash refund or 50% off next booking. Just what they paid held for a future cruise. Again good customer service.

Also, I think that Carnival should have allowed the passengers of the sailing that were canceled to try to rebook on another ship as soon as all of this mess started.

Ecstasy and Conquest last sailing were both canceled, you seam to know so much I can't believe you did not know that.

Ecstasy canceled next cruise set for 9-15-08

Conquest canceled next cruise set for 9-14-08

Bottom line is that this is a thread on what you think Carnival could have done better that is what I wrote.

Not a thread on why what I wrote made the storm carnival fault because I NEVER wrote that it was Carnival fault I did wright that Carnival actions made some people make choices that they may or may not have make if there were other option available to them.

I have a saying that I like and here it is

It may not have been your fault, but some times you have to make it your problem.

I total agree that cruising during hurricane season is risky but most of the risk is missing a port, have a extra sea day, rough sea's or alternate itinerary not have a home port wiped out for awhile. That is when has to step up and say it's not our fault but is our problem and what are we going to do to make it better and easer for our customers in this crises situation. But in this case Carnival took the hard line and is paying for in a PR nightmare. Some time you have to have a little compassion to stay strong.

I all so would like to know how many of you are say don't help Galveston because they should have know not to build on that island, or don't help FL. No that is not happening because you have taken something that is not your fault and made it your problem. You may not be at ground zero picking up trash or clearing streets but you are pay for it in taxes and donations. Where is the it's not our fault on that are you calling your congress man telling him to take you taxes from Texas and put them some where else? What about the 85 billion that we just spent to bail out AIG insurance yesterday. That is not or fault but it did become our problem, and you know all those cars that the insurance companies are going to total that not our fault but it did become our problem as soon as the wind started hitting them, you don't think the insurance companies are going to say oh we just lost 200 mill lets lower ever ones rates do you! No we are going to pay for them in the form of higher premiums.

Carnival will always be my favorite cruise line, but just like every business there is always room for improvement. I feel for Carnival for they were put in a very difficult position with some hard choices I personally think that made some very bad business decisions mainly with the Ecstasy 9-11-08 sailing. Carnival could have came out smelling like a rose if they would have put the decision to sail on the passenger and not hold losing all there money if they did not go. Most people would have still gone, then they could have said we gave them a real choice to go or not to go and the ones that went would not of been able to grip about anything because they had a real choice.

Some excellent posts on this thread. I think the truly credible posts are from those who were on this cruise. It seems that multiple CCers shared the same experience.

I do think Carnival was negligent in not canceling the cruise or changing departure ports. While cruisers are willing to sail during Hurricane season, Carnival is willing to fill ships. The responsibility falls on both parties. As far as cancellations or changes to ports it is Carnival's job to make sure their customer is Inconvenienced as little as possible.

It seems that most that ARE upset with Carnival are mad because of the lack of information they are provided. Carnival for whatever reason doen't seem to communicate very well with its guest during emergencies.

I am still baffled that they sent the Ecstasy out when Galveston was being evacuated, that was plain stupidity, or greed.

I think with more communication the situ would have been at least a bit better understood.

It is hurricane season so travel insurance should be a must for everyone. As a previous member stated, "for those who flew in going out of NOLA is just as easy." Airline will in most cases be able to jungle flights since the airport was closed too.

For those who drove and had cars, I am sorry that you have lost them. I hope you had insurance for them and their contents.

I do not know if free phone calls were allowed or not but I think that should be the extent of Carnivals aid for now. As stated by Carnival, when pax leave at various times it is almost impossible to arrange mass transport.

I know people want to get back as soon as possible but Galveston was a disaster area and it is hard to get accurate situ when there are rescue and safety concerns going on 24/7. Carnival was in communication with Houston and should maybe have informed the Pax sooner about this.

The only other thing is that with the evac order in before the one ship left that cruise should have been cancelled.

Galveston's Mayor did not call for a mandatory evacuation of the island until 8am Thursday morning. As of the 10pm news Wednesday, there was only a voluntary evacuation for island residents. Mandatory evacuation we ordered earlier for Crystal Beach and West Beach. (both areas that are almost always evacuated for any storm)

Carnival made their decision (I believe) based on what the local authorities had decided on Wednesday evening.

I am amazed at the sense of entitlement by passengers on these cruises. From what Im hearing, you jumped the gun when "thank goodness you ahd your laptop". They got the ship back to within 50 miles of your cars, which the local Government would not allow you to get to anyway. And they should pay for you loss of work? That is just rediculous. Maybe they should have paid your wages for the week or your vacation too. Yes, you were out to sea and concerned about the disruption. Bless your heart. You have no sympothy from me. People lost their lives, thier homes, their lively hoods in this storm, while you had the addes expense of a rental car that if you would have waited, you could have saved. You were given an option and made the wrong decision. We have troops in two wars and you are upset that the communication level was poor. Your mad they told you one thing then later told you another. Others on here are mad they didnt say enough or waited to long to say anything. Im sure they were trying to get the most correct information. I bet they ran out of your favorite salad dressing too. You were taken care of. YOu were given shelter, food, entertainment and you returned back to land safely. If you got off in New Orleans, that was your choice. As others have stated, Im sure carnival was not hight on the list of the communication channels. So dont sail on carnival again. Pay overpriced rates on another line. Im sure they will wipe your butt if you sail their line durring a hurricane. I HAD sympothy and concern for all the guests, but to here the moaning and groaning is sickening. They could have done things better Im sure, but hell, our government cant even get it right. And No I wanst on this cruise, so I dont know what it was like. But I have been through natural disasters and Terrorist attacks and know the confusion first hand. I am by no means defending carnival, But i am condoning the sense of entitlement you and others are advocating are due to you.

Leave it to someone who was not on the ship to misinterpret my post. I never said I wanted reimbursement for my lost wages.

Don't begin to try and understand our point of view. You can't. Don't try and put our situation up against the Iraq war and the loss of life and home in the hurricane. We didn't try to do it. Why would you even attempt to make us look like the bad guys. We are venting our anger at the misinformation, the poor communication, and the decision to not help us get home. It's people like you who disgust me. My husband is a purple heart recipient, disabled veteran, and served in the Air Force for 21 years and guess what.... he's pissed about our treatment on the cruise ship too. Wow, I guess he has no right being pissed because people in Ethiopia don't have food on their tables or there are people in the USA who are homeless. GIVE ME A BREAK!!!! Yes, we are fortunate enough to have been able to go on a cruise. We had the best time of our lives. Did we feel cheated and mistreated by Carnival the last two days.... ABSOLUTELY. Don't try and make me feel bad for being upset. I have every right to be upset. Am I holding out my hand asking for a handout? No. But if I was... shut up and stop pretending you know how we feel.

It seems that most that ARE upset with Carnival are mad because of the lack of information they are provided. Carnival for whatever reason doen't seem to communicate very well with its guest during emergencies.

Nobody anywhere has offered any proof that either ship did not provide their passengers with up to date information as soon as it was available to them. Innuendo, supposition and conspiracy theories are proof of nothing.

While I sympathize with the plight of those on board, if I were on board and the CD kept bombarding me with "we have no more information at this time announcements", I would have been demanding she shut the heck up until she had something concrete to say.

Nobody anywhere has offered any proof that either ship did not provide their passengers with up to date information as soon as it was available to them. Innuendo, supposition and conspiracy theories are proof of nothing.

While I sympathize with the plight of those on board, if I were on board and the CD kept bombarding me with "we have no more information at this time announcements", I would have been demanding she shut the heck up until she had something concrete to say.

I hate the announcements during a regular cruise. :p

If you have info and it has not change why would I need an hourly update on no change? Tell me when it changes. I'll be on the lido deck.

So you think Carnival should take the hit for the huricane so the insurance companies don't have to...?

I'm not sure what's not clear about this one. Folks should read their contract and understand it before signing.

Again... you want Carnival to take responsibity for folks booking during hurricane season... those folks should take full responsibilty themselves.

Over and above misinterpreting what folks said .... didn't you say you dont have the money to cruise for at least several more years?? That you have no cruises booked any time soon? You are just hanging around here to hassle folks and post negative thoughts because you are too broke to cruise yourself.... at least judging from your posts for quite a while, they are all negative.

I guess I should laugh, the folks WHO WERE ACTUALLY ON THE CRUISE are posting to the topic and no matter what they say, someone who wasnt there feels impeled to say our viewpoints arent valid. Lets not let Carnival's reputation be tarnished, folks will fight to the death supporting Carnival. People who werent there all think they are experts on the fact that Carnival couldnt have done anything else, they were perfect, Carnival cant learn from the experience at all. If Carnival cant learn from the experience, then they deserve the PR hit. No company is perfect, surprise surprise folks.

Just on the path of the hurricane for instance. Had I been home I know the online sites are updated every 3 hours. We heard NOTHING all day the day before the hurricane, the Carnival folks acted like nothing was going on. They put up one map dated 8 am on the map board, no further updates until after dinner, a updated map showing 7 pm was put up. You mean you dont think any Carnival folks could get online and print up a new map all day with a hurricane bearing down on Galveston?? I personally didnt have a laptop and went by the map board hourly hoping Carnival put up a new map. They also put this map on several stations on the tv, the one that wasnt updated all day.

Nothing was said to us all day, only rumors from one person to another. How hard would it have been for someone on the staff to get online to print up a new map and give us some hurricane updates during the day with the hurricane bearing down. Folks here say well why??? the hurricane path never changed, but we had no way of knowing that if we were not online (long line) and didnt bring a laptop.

Again it was the lack of information and the uncertainty many of us are complaining about, which no one who wasnt there seems to get.

Archived