What should Carnival have done better?

Erica@cruisecritic

What should Carnival have done differently?  

993 members have voted

1. 1. What should Carnival have done differently?

• Carnival should have provided free transport for all passengers from New Orleans to Texas.
    • Carnival should have provided transportation options to Texas -- at a reasonable cost.
    • Carnival should have helped all passengers with alternate travel plans from New Orleans.
    • Carnival should have communicated more frequently with guests about the ship's revised itinerary.
    • Carnival Ecstasy's five-night cruise should have been canceled when evacuations began in Galveston.
    • Carnival's only responsibility was to rebook flights for passengers who bought its air/sea package.

Looking at the results of this poll and thinking that Carnival might know similar outcomes, from past experience, that 70% to 80% would damn them no matter what they did.

If YOU MUST do something and YOU know that 70 or 80% of people will damn you no matter what you do. Do you do all you can or do you do what is best for you?

The poll is completely unfair. It is done from the perspective of 20/20 hindsight. The results would be spectacularly different if done a day or 2 before the cruise. Carnival and ALL other lines that cruise the Carib. have left homeport a day or 2 before a storm hundreds of times.

Hurricanes are "Acts of God," they are not "Acts of Carnival."

Dan

Dan:

Based on the responses I have read so far, I don't think that many folks "damned" Carnival.

In fact, most of the posts have been understanding, but included some constructive critiques about how to make it better the next time.

I think posts like UFQ's are helpful in nature to assist Carnival in understanding the expectations without going overboard. Especially for those folks on the Conquest who had no clue that Ike would be an issue a week after they sailed. Had it turned West or even stalled for a few days...it would have been a completely different story.

Only occasionally (at last so far) have we read posts that were just ignorant exaggerations like "doom" or "screwed over".

And the wonderful outpouring of appreciation from those 360+ folks that sailed into Houston....says it best.

There is so much information on this board...hardship, hate, compassion, etc...I don't know what to say. However, I was on the "Katrina Cruise" that left New Orleans and ended up in Galveston. I remember the following very well from that cruise...

1. Carnival announced very early that we would not be able to return to New Orleans, including the news that no one is allowed back to check out their cars. At that time, they announced that they have already changed the flights of those who purchased flights from them to leave from Houston.

2. There was plenty of panic for the phones and internet as was this cruise, though lines did not seem as long as those mentioned on these boards. They eventually announced that phone calls and internet use would not be charged.

3. The cruise went on as planned, all entertainment, meals, etc., provided, missing one port and an overnight stay in Cozumel if I remember correctly. The CD mentioned this as an opportunity to enjoy the mexican nightlife, but we sure weren't in the mood to take "advantage"

of that.

4. All customers each received $150 on their onboard accounts to assist them with charges incurred with changes in their travel plans, etc.

5 Unfortunately as with this trip, those who chose not to show up would not get refunds. We met several families who did not want to lose the cost of the cruise, but knew they would have nothing to go home to. Some were even planning purchases of motor homes in Houston, with no plans to go back to places like Bay St. Louis.

6 Staff were very helpful with my questions...the main one being if they could suggest any better way of changing our plans than trying to use onboard phones or internet...they suggested waiting until we got to Cozumel and using a pay phone...mission accomplished in 10 minutes for $4.

7 Busses were available and ready to transport everybody to Houston airports. A little hectic, but it was done.

We had about as good a feeling as you could possibly have about Carnival after this cruise through hell. I wonder what happened at Carnival that allowed such a different process and result to occur during this cruise? Perhaps they figured the complaints they got despite all of this could be no worse if they provided nothing, so they did it that way. Perhaps the staff was not competent to handle such a situation. Who knows. I pray they and we all learn from this to prevent such a repeat occurrance...starting next week, when we get on! Sorry, that might be a little self serving...however, no one deserves to go through this. I feel for all of you.

Dan:

Based on the responses I have read so far, I don't think that many folks "damned" Carnival.

In fact, most of the posts have been understanding, but included some constructive critiques about how to make it better the next time.

I think posts like UFQ's are helpful in nature to assist Carnival in understanding the expectations without going overboard. Especially for those folks on the Conquest who had no clue that Ike would be an issue a week after they sailed. Had it turned West or even stalled for a few days...it would have been a completely different story.

Only occasionally (at last so far) have we read posts that were just ignorant exaggerations like "doom" or "screwed over".

And the wonderful outpouring of appreciation from those 360+ folks that sailed into Houston....says it best.

OK, change the word, damned, to disagree. I was only talking about the poll, not about anyone's or everyone's comments. In fact I did not read a single comment. But the poll results indicate that whatever would have been done would result in 70 to 80% DISAGREEING.

Dan

OK, change the word, damned, to disagree. I was only talking about the poll, not about anyone's or everyone's comments. In fact I did not read a single comment. But the poll results indicate that whatever would have been done would result in 70 to 80% DISAGREEING.

Dan

Ok, that's makes it clearer!!

Thanks!!!

You don't know what to say? Sure you do....anything negative against Carnival. That's why it is ignored. LOL

My negativity has never been directed at Carnival;) Infact we love Carnival and will be sailing once again with them in December. Yes we are platinum if you don't already know.........

My negativity is directed at "The Carnival can do no wrong theory";)

Or "It's not Carnivals responsibility theory" "Just roll with the punch crap even though you have a legite complaint" etc........

Ignorant blinders so to speak.........

The icing on the cake came with Rockportgirls experience.....one of the worst experience for a family to endure. She took the time to post here to warn people what could happen only to get crap thrown back at her:rolleyes: Talk about ignorance;)

And you wonder why there are thousands of viewers and not posters..........at least I know that people are reading both sides of the views without blinders on and hopefully making wise decisions.........

I think posts like UFQ's are helpful in nature to assist Carnival in understanding the expectations without going overboard.

She said pretty much what I say, I guess she just said it better since you seem to think her comments were ok, but not mine. Sounds personal to me since my only complaints were the communications that she mentioned.

Odd??? Scratching my head.

Iv given up dont wory, just happened to stop by and saw this and had to laugh since she said the same things I said.

She said pretty much what I say, I guess she just said it better since you seem to think her comments were ok, but not mine. Sounds personal to me since my only complaints were the communications that she mentioned.

Odd??? Scratching my head.

Iv given up dont wory, just happened to stop by and saw this and had to laugh since she said the same things I said.

Simple...her post explained "what Carnival could have done better". period

They did not flood every thread on Cruise Critic with "poor me" "doomed ship" "isolated" etc etc etc etc.

They did not exaggerate ....and spread doom and gloom and make assumptions about Carnival lying to people.

Sorry but that is a HUGE difference.....

BIG difference...but then...

OK I was one of the people on the Conquest and this is what I wish Carnival would have done to make a difficult time easier.

1. Keep us informed, even if all you can tell us is we don't know or we are still talking with Miami about the situation. We had CNN but once the worst was over the coverage was limited. The Denver stations only showed a small story so no help there. People were very anxious and just wanted to know we mattered. If they would have just kept up a current hurricane map would have helped alot.

2. After the announcement was made we would be going to New Orleans on Monday it was not announced we could make a free call from our cabin. If you went to the Pursers desk they would tell you but otherwise we found out from other passengers. The ship has only 14 lines so this was limited. Give us free INTERNET use or if they didn't want to make the INTERNET use free then they could have given people 10 or 15 minutes free for arrangements for their travel home. The line to use a computer was awful. I am sure they could have rounded up some laptops for use and had extra staff in the INTERNET café to help keep an eye on the laptops. Cell phones could be used but with so many people trying to call out it was not easy getting a signal.

3. I don't think it was Carnival's responsibility to get anyone home but they knew we would not be going to Galveston by AM on Sunday morning. At that time they should have been getting the 1-800-#'s to the airlines and car rental places. This way when the announcement was made at PM the information would have been available instead of people having to wait or try to get it on their own. Yes they did say we could stay on the ship but they were very unclear about that. No problem staying until Tue morning but they could not give a clear idea when or where we would go after that. Most people choose to go home at that point since many had go get back to work.

4. Once we arrived at the port of New Orleans it would have been nice if they had provided the buses to the airport. I am sure the company would have done a head count of those using the bus and then charged Carnival later. The buses were not expensive but it would have been nice.

Basically they really need to work on keeping the passengers informed at all times. This is just what I think that the Conquest and Carnival could have done. I do want to thank the CD Jen for trying so hard and appreciate all she did. Yes I did choose to cruise during Hurricane season but I did what I could to protect myself. I was lucky in that my oldest son was able to come to Galveston and take my car home. I purchased travel insurance and made sure I had important phone #'s with me. Once the announcement was made I was able to call Southwest and change my flight from Houston Hobby to leave out of New Orleans. Yes I plan on writing all this to the people at Carnival and I will be cruising with Carnival again. Like my DH has told me before Hurricanes are a fact of life.:)

This is very well said. If Carnival had done this I think they would had fullfilled their obligations to you. I hope Carnival will take heed to this in the future.

My negativity has never been directed at Carnival;) Infact we love Carnival and will be sailing once again with them in December. Yes we are platinum if you don't already know.........

My negativity is directed at "The Carnival can do no wrong theory";)

Or "It's not Carnivals responsibility theory" "Just roll with the punch crap even though you have a legite complaint" etc........

Ignorant blinders so to speak.........

The icing on the cake came with Rockportgirls experience.....one of the worst experience for a family to endure. She took the time to post here to warn people what could happen only to get crap thrown back at her:rolleyes: Talk about ignorance;)

And you wonder why there are thousands of viewers and not posters..........at least I know that people are reading both sides of the views without blinders on and hopefully making wise decisions.........

Sorry but if saying Carnival "screwed over" 2,500 people isn't negative...I would hate to have you in the public relations business.

Especially when you were not on the ship and have NO IDEA WHAT the other people thought. That is the classic case of "ignorant blinders"...just not in Carnival's favor.

So it is ok to be a cheerleader for folks who over react, exaggerate and mislead about their experience...but it is NOT ok to present facts that happen to be positive for Carnival?

Just because 360+ plus folks responded positively to how Carnival handled the experience....you had to say something nasty.

Now how does that help future cruisers???

I have never put on "blinders"....simply presented the facts as they were so that future cruisers can make informed decisions.

I was in Galveston...waiting on the Ecstasy when Gustav hit. That could have easily been me. Our car was parked at the Harbor House...it would have been at the bottom of the Channel....

I had a friend on the Conquest and when I get reports from her (and now from others) COMPLETELY CONTRARY to what a couple of folks on here were posting...then common sense would stop and say.....hummmm???

I am not going to waste my time rehashing the MANY posts from firefly333 that were simply not true.

The difference between you and I isn't that I am "pro Carnival"....the difference is that I look at the whole situation (and the manner in how it is presented) before posting a well informed opinion.

Rockportgirl's experience did not have anything to do with the hurricane...and my only post TO HER was "on her side". I applauded her for posting the warning. I never posted on that thread after it turned nasty. I never even knew it turned nasty until I read that the thread had been pulled.

There is so much information on this board...hardship, hate, compassion, etc...I don't know what to say. However, I was on the "Katrina Cruise" that left New Orleans and ended up in Galveston. I remember the following very well from that cruise...

1. Carnival announced very early that we would not be able to return to New Orleans, including the news that no one is allowed back to check out their cars. At that time, they announced that they have already changed the flights of those who purchased flights from them to leave from Houston.

2. There was plenty of panic for the phones and internet as was this cruise, though lines did not seem as long as those mentioned on these boards. They eventually announced that phone calls and internet use would not be charged.

3. The cruise went on as planned, all entertainment, meals, etc., provided, missing one port and an overnight stay in Cozumel if I remember correctly. The CD mentioned this as an opportunity to enjoy the mexican nightlife, but we sure weren't in the mood to take "advantage"

of that.

4. All customers each received $150 on their onboard accounts to assist them with charges incurred with changes in their travel plans, etc.

5 Unfortunately as with this trip, those who chose not to show up would not get refunds. We met several families who did not want to lose the cost of the cruise, but knew they would have nothing to go home to. Some were even planning purchases of motor homes in Houston, with no plans to go back to places like Bay St. Louis.

6 Staff were very helpful with my questions...the main one being if they could suggest any better way of changing our plans than trying to use onboard phones or internet...they suggested waiting until we got to Cozumel and using a pay phone...mission accomplished in 10 minutes for $4.

7 Busses were available and ready to transport everybody to Houston airports. A little hectic, but it was done.

We had about as good a feeling as you could possibly have about Carnival after this cruise through hell. I wonder what happened at Carnival that allowed such a different process and result to occur during this cruise? Perhaps they figured the complaints they got despite all of this could be no worse if they provided nothing, so they did it that way. Perhaps the staff was not competent to handle such a situation. Who knows. I pray they and we all learn from this to prevent such a repeat occurrance...starting next week, when we get on! Sorry, that might be a little self serving...however, no one deserves to go through this. I feel for all of you.

The biggest change in Carnival since the Katrina cruise is that Carnival has a new CEO. He has a reputation as more of a bean counter than customer service.

I have been on cruises with problems. Hurricane problems, weather problems, ship problems, passenger emergency problems, boat refugee problems. On CCL, RCL, PCL, NCL and Cunard. In ALL cases, they did try to keep us all up to date. And in ALL cases I heard people complain that the line would not tell us what was GOING to happen. They told us what they wanted to do and what they were trying to do. But they did not predict the future, so the communications were terrible?
If I am entertained, well fed, and SAFELY debarked. They HAVE fulfilled their responsibility to me.

Dan

[quote name='waiting4acruise']The biggest change in Carnival since the Katrina cruise is that Carnival has a new CEO. He has a reputation as more of a bean counter than customer service.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it would have been interesting to see how "Uncle Bob" would have handled it.

Unfortunately, while similar....no two situations are exactly alike. That is why it is a learning experience each time it happens...which thankfully is not often!!

Carnival shortened our cruise from a 5 day to a 3 day cruise to nowhere from Galveston because of Gustav. Carnival gave us a 50% refund (even though we only missed 40% of the cruise) PLUS a 50% discount on a future cruise.
So there is a case of Carnival going above and beyond just one week before.

Texas counties were under a voluntary evacuation...not mandatory...but never got so much as a drop of rain.

[quote name='dan40'][B]I have been on cruises with problems. Hurricane problems, weather problems, ship problems, passenger emergency problems, boat refugee problems. On CCL, RCL, PCL, NCL and Cunard.[/B] In ALL cases, they did try to keep us all up to date. And in ALL cases I heard people complain that the line would not tell us what was GOING to happen. They told us what they wanted to do and what they were trying to do. But they did not predict the future, so the communications were terrible?
If I am entertained, well fed, and SAFELY debarked. They HAVE fulfilled their responsibility to me.

Dan[/QUOTE]

Man....remind me to never cruise with you with all that bad luck!!! :D

Seriously, excellent point!!!

[quote name='LHP'][B]Especially when you were not on the ship and have NO IDEA WHAT the other people thought.[/B] That is the classic case of "ignorant blinders"...just not in Carnival's favor.

[COLOR=red]And you were on the ship:confused: Forgive me I thought you were on the 3 Ecstacy to nowhere [/COLOR]

So it is ok to be a cheerleader for folks who over react, [B]exaggerate and mislead about their experience...but it is NOT ok to present facts that happen to be positive for Carnival?[/B]

[COLOR=red]Ok now the people that [B]were actually on the cruise[/B] and telling of [B]their actual experience [/B]you are basically calling them liars.......or in your words "exaggerating and misleading:cool: Facts:confused: What facts:confused: Your facts are nothing more then choosing who to believe......[/COLOR]

Rockportgirl's experience did not have anything to do with the hurricane...and my only post TO HER was "on her side". I applauded her for posting the warning. I never posted on that thread after it turned nasty. I never even knew it turned nasty until I read that the thread had been pulled.[/quote]

[COLOR=red]I used Rockportgirls thread as just another example of how it turned to be her fault for not buying the right insurance, and how she did not do the right research and how Carnival was in no way responsible to help her:rolleyes: [/COLOR]
[COLOR=red]Samo....samo...........[/COLOR]
[COLOR=red]On Rockportgirls thread your post said "Bottom line.....when you rent a car in Cozumel you need to purchase full coverage/0 dedcutable"[/COLOR]
[COLOR=red]Even though she said they would not even look at her policy.[/COLOR] ;)

Good day!

[quote name='Kurbanfan']
[COLOR=red]..........[/COLOR]
[COLOR=red]On Rockportgirls thread your post said "Bottom line.....when you rent a car in Cozumel you need to purchase full coverage/0 dedcutable"[/COLOR]
[COLOR=red]Even though she said they would not even look at her policy.[/COLOR] ;)

Good day![/quote]

IMO after reading Rockportgirls post I think the mexican police were going to get "X" dollars from them regardless of insurance before they left the Island. We watched Samantha Brown on Cozumel and had decided we were going to rent a Jeep and drive the Island. Not now. The car agency and Mexican Police can kiss my a**.

I don't think they should have been allowed to cruise as planned once the evacuation notice was put into place for the port of call. They should not have encouraged people to enter an evacuation area, knowing they were putting more people (and their cars) in the path of danger. Even if the damage hadn't been as bad as it was, they still would have added to the burden of the recovery, food, shelter, and roadways once they came back from the trip. Furthermore, I think they should have helped people with transportation once they realized how bad Galveston was hit.

TWC

[quote name='Mikel1733']IMO after reading Rockportgirls post I think the mexican police were going to get "X" dollars from them regardless of insurance before they left the Island. We watched Samantha Brown on Cozumel and had decided we were going to rent a Jeep and drive the Island. Not now. The car agency and Mexican Police can kiss my a**.[/quote]

I agree! It pretty much looked that way......
Also have you ever seen any taxi in Mexico [I]without[/I] a dent:rolleyes: Makes you wonder huh..............

[quote name='ryanpatricksmom']As far as the communication issues, I can't speak to them because as the affected cruisers pointed out, we weren't there. I do think that it was an unfortunate situation which couldn't possibly have a suitable resolution, no matter who did what. I do sympathize with your plight, and certainly understand the frustration. While for many of us a few extra days onboard would be a plus, those who have work related concerns could be in quite a predicament. I cruise without my kids, so I also understand that in some cases being away from your dependents for additional days could be a problem.

I purchase travel insurance when sailing during hurricane season, and clearly that helps with the financial burden, but that only minimizes the negative impact when a bad situation arises, it doesn't mean that affected passengers shouldn't be unhappy.

I do believe that Carnival should have allowed passengers to change their cruise plans, at no charge, when the warnings were issued. While I understand that no cruiseline can control mother nature, it only seems fair that if there is a reasonable opportunity that the ship will not be able to return its passengers to the point of embarkation, then those passengers should not have been faced with the decision to lose their entire cruise fare, or sail and risk returning to a different port.

Having said that, I do think that parking at the Galveston port was not a wise choice. For those passengers that left their cars, while I recognize that hindsight is 20/20 and you do have my sympathy, I'll bet that next time you would park inland and take a taxi the rest of the way. We can certainly all learn a lesson there.

I for one, do not think that it's entirely the passengers' assumed risk for sailing during hurricane season. When a cruiseline operates during hurricane season, they also assume potential responsibilites....keeping passengers safe is a great start, but not quite good enough. Complaints regarding the airlines run rampant. I don't hear anyone saying that at least nobody fell out of the sky today in bad weather. It's understood that the Captain will keep the passengers safe. It's understood that a port can be missed or substituted. I don't think that it's understood that you can be left at a port 350 miles away from your embarkation point without some assistance. It's possible to operate within the contract [B]and [/B]provide better customer service.[/QUOTE]

IMHO....this was the best post on this entire thread. Very well stated.

[quote name='twcrew']I don't think they should have been allowed to cruise as planned once the evacuation notice was put into place for the port of call. They should not have encouraged people to enter an evacuation area, knowing they were putting more people (and their cars) in the path of danger. Even if the damage hadn't been as bad as it was, they still would have added to the burden of the recovery, food, shelter, and roadways once they came back from the trip. Furthermore, I think they should have helped people with transportation once they realized how bad Galveston was hit.

TWC[/quote]

The evacuation order was issued a couple of hours before the Ecstasy was to sail. They weren't going to leave the ship there, so better they took the 2000 plus people with them instead of leaving them standing on the pier in the path of a hurricane.

[quote name='big_duck']The evacuation order was issued a couple of hours before the Ecstasy was to sail. They weren't going to leave the ship there, so better they took the 2000 plus people with them instead of leaving them standing on the pier in the path of a hurricane.[/QUOTE]

Also people seem to forget that the Conquest had just been through this with Gustav.

There was a voluntary evacuation order for Gustav and people were saying "why is the Conquest still sailing out with Gustav coming in?"

The Conquest sailed on Sunday....Gustav hit on Monday. Galveston never got a drop of rain...we were there from the Saturday before Gustav until the Ecstasy sailed on Wednesday.

And actually, Carnival delayed the Ecstasy for 2 days for what ended up as no reason. We were sitting at the Harbor House in beautiful weather on the Monday the Ecstasy was suppose to sail wondering "they closed the port and delayed the Ecstasy for this?"

So Carnival has shown (in the same month) that it is willing to cancel or delay cruises when necessary.

The bottom line is if you throw out the posts that were exaggerated rantings and throw out the posts that were exaggerated to the good....you are probably going to find that Carnival did an above average job in a difficult situation AND that they will use this experience to do an even better job next time....let's just hope there is no other next time!!

[quote name='Kurbanfan'][COLOR=red]I used Rockportgirls thread as just another example of how it turned to be her fault for not buying the right insurance, and how she did not do the right research and how Carnival was in no way responsible to help her:rolleyes: [/COLOR]
[COLOR=red]Samo....samo...........[/COLOR]

Good day![/QUOTE]

This was NOT posted on Rockportgirls' thread. This was posted on ANOTHER thread about "where her post went".

My comment about zero insurance was in NO WAY suggesting that Rockportgirls did anything wrong. It was about ANYONE renting a vehicle in Cozumel AND it also said to make sure they contact the Tourist Police.

I do not believe she did anything wrong. I was merely restating what jetskier has preached all along in a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THREAD.

IF you are going to cut and copy my posts...please do so honestly.

Oh..I forgot...facts aren't your thing.

[QUOTE] Originally Posted by [B]ryanpatricksmom[/B] [URL="http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=16329501#post16329501"][IMG]http://boards12.cruisecritic.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif[/IMG][/URL]
[I]Having said that, I do think that parking at the Galveston port was not a wise choice. For those passengers that left their cars, while I recognize that hindsight is 20/20 and you do have my sympathy, [B]I'll bet that next time you would park inland and take a taxi the rest of the way[/B]. We can certainly all learn a lesson there.[/I]
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Bobug']IMHO....this was the best post on this entire thread. Very well stated.[/quote]

Where is INLAND when you are speaking of Galveston port exactly?? Im thinking neither of you have actually been to Galveston which is a island and the whole island flooded.

Yep, next time I park in Galveston, Im heading INLAND.

Archived