What should Carnival have done better?

Erica@cruisecritic

What should Carnival have done differently?  

993 members have voted

1. 1. What should Carnival have done differently?

• Carnival should have provided free transport for all passengers from New Orleans to Texas.
    • Carnival should have provided transportation options to Texas -- at a reasonable cost.
    • Carnival should have helped all passengers with alternate travel plans from New Orleans.
    • Carnival should have communicated more frequently with guests about the ship's revised itinerary.
    • Carnival Ecstasy's five-night cruise should have been canceled when evacuations began in Galveston.
    • Carnival's only responsibility was to rebook flights for passengers who bought its air/sea package.

You seem to imply that folks knew there was a choice of going to New Orleans, which we did NOT know when we got off the ship. Had we known that then of course we would have stayed on the ship. The only other port mentioned was Galveston in some vague way by Sunday .... maybe and we had visions of them trying to get into Galveston when we made our choice.

As for Carnival having no implied contract, I disagree. I bought a cruise to and from Galveston, not from Galveston to New Orleans. I believe there is a implied contract with Carnival to fullfill this obligation which is what I paid for.

Anyone know the Carnival address to write to. I do intend to write when I get the address to address my letter to. I will include the good and the things I think they should try and improve upon.

How did you expect them to TAKE YOU BACK TO Galveston?.....did you hear the news? They were hit by a cat 2 Hurricane!

Unfortunately this was a tough situation with no clear answer. With somewhere around 5,000 passengers between the two ships, there's no perfect course of action. Chances are that many passengers would (and will)be inconvenienced.

With that said, Carnival:

- Kept everybody SAFE at all times

- Brought everybody back to land as soon as they could figure out the logistics of it all

- Provided guest wishing to go back to Galveston the option of returning to Texas onboard the ship

- Made arrangements for air/sea passengers to return home from New Orleans

I know that some feel that Carnival should've provided buses (either for free or for a fee) back to Galveston. But how?? At the time I'm writing this, nobody is being allowed back to Galveston island. The place remains mostly without running water, electricity and UNSAFE. The health hazard with human sewage mixed with standing water alone was probably enough reason for Carnival to steer clear of this option. As much as I sympathize with those passengers whose cars are parked in Galveston, I believe that Carnival's course of action was once again the safest and most prudent.

Should Carnival provide "assistance" with airline re-arrangements or transportation to the airport? NO. When passengers choose to book their own airfare, or not to get insurance, they are claiming full responsibility for their travel plans for the sake of saving some dollars. Why should Carnival bail them out now? Sorry if I'm blunt.

As frustrating as all of this may be, I believe that Carnival has found a way to bring things back as close to normal as soon as possible, and found a new home for these two ships and minimized future cruise disruptions in less than a week! Carnival didn't drop the ball. I believe that they did a formidable job!

Hear! Hear! (cute dog)

It is true that you can't please all of the people all of the time, however many people seem to think that carnival really dropped the ball on this one. What is important is the customer's perception. Whether or not Carnival did things right or wrong only the people that were on that ship can tell you if they were completley satisfied. If they are not then there was a break down in customer service that needs to be addressed.

How did you expect them to TAKE YOU BACK TO Galveston?.....did you hear the news? They were hit by a cat 2 Hurricane!

thats exactly my point!!!! They only mentioned taking us back to Galveston, which we knew couldnt happen. We felt they said Galveston knowing it couldnt happen to cop out of handling things. The announcement said we could stay on the ship in hopes of getting back to Galveston!!! Wouldnt you think by sunday night Carnival would have known this was impossible???

I was on this sailing. I lost a vehicle in the port parking lot. I had to purchase airfare to Houston in order to get home. I had to rent a car at the Houston airport.

Carnival offered free telephone so that we could make new arrangements. Carnival updated us often. There were THREE debarkation meetings in the Blue Sapphire lounge. Information was given at those meetings about the latest news available. Yes it did change some as the events unfolded..but Carnival did the best they could!

Sailing in hurricane season - has risks.

Now, I'm back to fueling the generator and removing downed trees from my yard and pull out more wet carpet padding! Geez, it's good to be home!

I was on this sailing. I lost a vehicle in the port parking lot. I had to purchase airfare to Houston in order to get home. I had to rent a car at the Houston airport.

Carnival offered free telephone so that we could make new arrangements. Carnival updated us often. There were THREE debarkation meetings in the Blue Sapphire lounge. Information was given at those meetings about the latest news available. Yes it did change some as the events unfolded..but Carnival did the best they could!

Now, I'm back to fueling the generator and removing downed trees from my yard and pull out more wet carpet padding! Geez, it's good to be home!

This says it all. A person that was on this cruise and lets us know how they feel about what happened.

Cars are cars and carpet can be replaced.

I hope all will be well for you and yours.....

Great attitude.......:cool:

Good to see you pulled thru on the Ecstacy. Evidently the Conquest was a totally different story!

At least by the time Ecstasy pulled into New Orleans, the decision had been made the night before that both ships, after the folks went thru customs, turn around and sail to Houston. This to me is a huge difference.

Also, you said you had three disembarkation talks, maybe after Conquest had one for over 3,000 pax, they realized that everyone couldnt fit into the theater at one time. Never saw half that many people as were in there at any production show thats for sure.

Sorry to hear you are still dealing with the after effects at home too.

My gripe is only about communications. You were a day behind us and hopefully they were figuring things out by the time you came along. Glad things went better for you. Had I been younger, or not with two disabled folks, things would have felt different to me too.

Carnival should have cancelled the Ecstasy cruise as the Island was in evacuation mode. Yet at the same time, those folks who sailed on it should have made arrangements, someway, somehow to keep their car off Galveston. It would be tough, I realize that but I wouldn't head to the area with my car with that great of knowledge.

I totally agree.. If there was a hurricane coming to where my car is parked I would get my car out of there..

I was in Michigan when I found out that Gustav was going to hit Louisiana.. I changed my ticket to get home in time to get my car out of New Orleans.. But I also mailed my spare key to a coworker (since I forgot to leave it at my office) in case I could not change my flight. Either way my car was not going to be in New Orleans when the hurricane hit.

If I were a passenger of the Esctasy or Conquest there is no way you'd catch my car in Galveston. I'd either ask someone who had my spare key to go get it out of there or I would have made other arrangements to get to Galveston for the cruise and have my car safe at home. But that is just my opinion.

As for what Carnival "should" have done.. I do agree that they should have either provided transportation to the airport or a bus back to Houston (thought that may have been difficult as Houston was pretty much closed..)

I think Carnival should have arranged bus transportation for all passengers to either the New Orleans airport, the Houston airport, or the Galveston cruise terminal. After all, even those who probably lost their cars parked at the Galveston terminal would at least want to go and check on them. The ship departed Galveston and was supposed to return to Galveston. Carnival should have gotten their passengers back there. I think it would have been OK to charge a reasonable fee for the bus ride, but Carnival should have helped everyone that wanted to go back to Galveston to get there.

Carnival has no say so in this. The island is closed to those who have HOUSES their, not just thier cars parked on the island. Carnival was doing all they could to get their guest back to Galveston or at least as close as they could. This air of entitlement is beyond reason. I am all for customer service, but for crying out loud, The cruise industry, namely carnival, because they are the only cruise line offering year round voyages from this area, were having to play it by ear. Look at the Governmental communication confusion. The Island was open to residents and property owners for a look and see, then due to heavy chaotic traffic, that was canceled. If the government tells you you cant come to the island, you cant come to the island, even if your carnival. Could they have communicated better? probably, but having been in law enforcement for more than 20 years, if you dont have information you dont pass along mis information. You wait till your 100% sure what you pass along. You had all these people jumping the gun making arrangments then blaming carnival because they had to rearrange those arrangements. They made these changes on their own, then when Carnival had it fixed to get them within 45 miles of thier departing port they complained. Patiance is a virtue. ANd we can all monday morning quarterback. It had to be agony, not know and trying to be prepared as a passanger. But trying to satisfy 3000 customers and doing what was best for the majority had to be worse. This hurricane was in the water and projected for the Gulf, long before the ship sailed. Each passanger made the decision to get on board and take the trip. If Carnical had canceled, imagine the response. Actually you dont have to, just read the response from those who had their cruise canceled for this past week. you cant please everyone. This hurricane has inconvienced many more than just the passengers. It is a sickening feeling. I myself have had a complete itenerary change due to a huuricane. but it woulcnt be helped and we chose to sail. If. if . if. If they chose to set off the coast of Texas, waiting to find out, carnival would have been blasted for holding them hostage. The passengers were taken to NOLA, and given the option to debark or wait it out at no expense. That means Carnival offered to pay their hotel, dinning, entertainment expense and transportation back to Houston. At no cost to the passenger. And from reading these board, not even charging tips. Please look at the dates Im sailing and if your booked, cancel. I would rather have all that negative attitud left ashore.

If I were a passenger of the Esctasy or Conquest there is no way you'd catch my car in Galveston. I'd either ask someone who had my spare key to go get it out of there or I would have made other arrangements to get to Galveston and have my car safe. But that is just my opinion.

This sounds so easy to you but I really never thought when we left on Sunday that the hurricane could turn and hit Galveston, so I hadnt made arrangements and once I was on the ship, hoped to get off in Caymans and get a hold of someone to tow my car even, but they decided it was too rough to tender in. By the time I called my insurance company they said it was too late to tow the car and that someone would have to meet them at EZCruise, they couldnt tow it otherwise.

I was desperate wanting to get my almost new car out of harm's way. My Dad is 90 years old and on a feeding tube and the only other driver in my family who was up in Dallas and he shouldnt be driving, but I heard he did try and drive around the block for the first time in a year while I was gone. No one else drives I could ask to help. Being old sucks. Im retired myself and only know mostly folks much older than me none of which could drive 5 hourse each way to go get my car. I was racking my brain who I could call.

Good for you that you were able to rearrange your schedule and get back in time to move your car, I wasnt able to. Its not always simple for everyone. That being said I agree, maybe I should quit cruising during hurricane season and cancel the Crazies cruise and pay the darn cancellation fee. Its 9/20/09 and I really dont want back on the Conquest, ... ever.

At least by the time Ecstasy pulled into New Orleans, the decision had been made the night before that both ships, after the folks went thru customs, turn around and sail to Houston. This to me is a huge difference.

Also, you said you had three disembarkation talks, maybe after Conquest had one for over 3,000 pax, they realized that everyone couldnt fit into the theater at one time. Never saw half that many people as were in there at any production show thats for sure.

Sorry to hear you are still dealing with the after effects at home too.

My gripe is only about communications. You were a day behind us and hopefully they were figuring things out by the time you came along. Glad things went better for you. Had I been younger, or not with two disabled folks, things would have felt different to me too.

Yes communications had to be a problem when Carnival had scramble on this.

Not knowing accurate and timely informatio had to be very stressful.

This sounds so easy to you but I really never thought when we left on Sunday that the hurricane could turn and hit Galveston, so I hadnt made arrangements and once I was on the ship, hoped to get off in Caymans and get a hold of someone to tow my car even, but they decided it was too rough to tender in. By the time I called my insurance company they said it was too late to tow the car and that someone would have to meet them at EZCruise, they couldnt tow it otherwise.

I was desperate wanting to get my almost new car out of harm's way. My Dad is 90 years old and on a feeding tube and the only other driver in my family who was up in Dallas and he shouldnt be driving, but I heard he did try and drive around the block for the first time in a year while I was gone. No one else drives I could ask to help. Being old sucks. Im retired myself and only know mostly folks much older than me none of which could drive 5 hourse each way to go get my car. I was racking my brain who I could call.

Good for you that you were able to rearrange your schedule and get back in time to move your car, I wasnt able to. Its not always simple for everyone. That being said I agree, maybe I should quit cruising during hurricane season and cancel the Crazies cruise and pay the darn cancellation fee. Its 9/20/09 and I really dont want back on the Conquest, ... ever.

I'm sorry you had such a horrible experience.. I can see where it would be hard to predict the hurricane for the Conquest, as when I went to Michigan I had no idea that a hurricane would come to Louisiana. But for the Esctasy it was well known that the hurricane may hit Galveston. :( Don't give up on cruising.

[quote name='firefly333'] maybe I should quit cruising during hurricane season and cancel the Crazies cruise and pay the darn cancellation fee. Its 9/20/09 and I really dont want back on the Conquest, ... ever.[/quote]

Can't you just transfer your booking to another cruise line without paying cancellation fees. I know my TA allows this. As long as we are booking another cruise and not cancelling all together.........

[quote name='tximprov']Carnival has no say so in this. The passengers were taken to NOLA, and given the option to debark or wait it out at no expense. That means Carnival offered to pay their hotel, dinning, entertainment expense and transportation back to Houston. At no cost to the passenger. And from reading these board, not even charging tips. [B]Please look at the dates Im sailing and if your booked, cancel[/B]. I would rather have all that negative attitud left ashore.[/quote]

Once again, we were NOT given the choice of Houston, until late Monday night. Remember most of us on Conquest got off the ship earlier in the day and left because we were only given the choice of Galveston which made no sense. Why do you and other folks not seem to grasp that we were NOT given the choice of Houston at the time we had to make the decision. Had we been given the choice you claim we were given, it would have been different.

I believe anyone staying tipped extra more than likely, my waiter told me Carnival only paid him $74 for the month, the rest was tips and he would not get tips for the whole cruise after ours, so I know I felt bad, but then someone else turns around and says he is lying, no way Carnival pays them that little. We all felt sorry for those working on the ship.

[quote name='firefly333']Once again, we were NOT given the choice of Houston, until late Monday night. Remember most of us on Conquest got off the ship earlier in the day and left because we were only given the choice of Galveston which made no sense. Why do you and other folks not seem to grasp that we were NOT given the choice of Houston at the time we had to make the decision. Had we been given the choice you claim we were given, it would have been different.

I believe anyone staying tipped extra more than likely, my waiter told me Carnival only paid him $74 for the month, the rest was tips and he would not get tips for the whole cruise after ours, so I know I felt bad, but then someone else turns around and says he is lying, no way Carnival pays them that little. We all felt sorry for those working on the ship.[/quote]
I assume that you were given that were giving the information about the time it was posted on Carnival's web site. It was about 5pm Sunday when Carnival posted that the Conquest would dock in New Orleans on Monday. It also said that you could stay on the ship until it sailed back to Galveston. It also Carnival was uncertain when that may be.
News reports at this stated the Galveston Causeway was closed and there was no word about the Galveston terminal and videos that the Kemah Boardwalk was flooded.
There was no official announcement from Carnival until 7:30am Tuesday that the Conquest was leaving that day and going to the Bayport Terminal.
Based on the information you had Monday morning you were correct in making arrangements then.

What government representatives and cruise ship captains fail to understand, even though there is a long history of how to properly handle these problems, is that they must communicate. Don't just tell what you know, tell what you don't know and what you are doing. And don't guess.

Tell everybody that they cannot go back to Galveston. This applies to both the government officials handling the situation post hurricane and Carnival.

Carnival should have told the passengers the closest port we can go to is New Orleans. Not even residents are being allowed into Galveston. We recommend that you get off in New Orleans and return home. Here is a list of public transportation available from the Port ... (list the public transportation and the contact numbers - this would include planes, trains, buses and rental car companies). Carnival should have informed the passengers that anyone that parked their car at the port needs to contact their insurance company and make arrangements to purchase a replacement car.

Nothing in the above provides any false hope, and everything above is true. No mention of going back to Galveston or Houston should have been made until such arrangements had been made and approved. Telling people we hope to return to Galveston in the near future is open to interpretation, even if you say that could take months, it still holds out false hope.

If you tell people what they want to hear, then you pay the price when it turns out what you told them is not going to happen. Sure, it may not be Carnival's fault that things didn't work out, but Carnival is still the one losing credibility. Tell the people that even the residents are not being allowed back to Galveston. That if they drove there, they are a tourist and they aren't going to get permission to go to Galveston until after the residents do. If they flew there, great, they can fly home just as easily from New Orleans. If they drove, going to Galveston will do no good, as their car will not work. Go home somehow and make arrangements get a replacement car.

Tell it straight. Don't sugar coat it. Treat the people with respect, but make the situation sound as bad as it really is. Even if Carnival is not going to provide any financial assistance, Carnival can still provide the options for free (available to Carnival via an Internet search). Then Carnival can provide the options in printed form to the passengers in the same manner that it provides other letters and the Carnival Capers. At least then it would look like that Carnival at least cared. Right now it looks like Carnival could care less unless you purchased your travel arrangement through Carnival.

Communicate. Give an update every hour, every half hour if need be. Carnival could say its requests to allow the ships to return to Galveston has been turned down. Then, when Carnival finally is sure that the ships can return, Carnival can then make the good news announcement that they are being allowed to return. It works better if the news gets better as time goes along, rather than having to provide bad news later by having to back off of what you had "hoped" would be true.

As I was sitting safely in my home in Dallas , Texas watching the news Friday night ( which already looked really bad before the storm actually came in ) and then Sat..... morning.... for some reason I got the impression that we had dodged a huge bullet..... even Sun.morning .. I was hearing there were power outages and trees down... but most structures appeared to be secure.... parts of Houston has a few problems but really not a big deal... then by Sunday afternoon the whole story changed..... and I was shocked at the devestation and the difference in the reporting...

I might add I have not a lot of faith in the media .... they only tell you what they want to and it is not always the way it is...
In fact my son had 7 Bay City family members staying at his house since Thursday and they said all was well, and they left Sunday morning...
I was shocked at what we saw later Sunday afternoon and Monday and Tues.... so my point is ... how do we know what story Carnival got either .
I knew Houston Port probably was available but who knows all the red tape that has to be done to allow a Cruise Line to ( just borrow it )

Also I may be wrong but I had also heard from a passenger that Southwest Airlines had agreed to honor your airline ticket out of Houston to fly you whereever you were intended to be going at no extra charge even if you arranged your own air arrangements .... ( flying out of New Orleans to wherever for the same price )
I said all that to say this.... I think Carnival did all they could do and all they were allowed to do....
I think we should all just be so Thankful that the cruise passengers were at all times safe and had as many comforts available to them as possible ...
My prayers go out to everyone that was effected in any way .... I know it is very tramatic no matter how small it may seem

[quote name='Kurbanfan']Can't you just transfer your booking to another cruise line without paying cancellation fees. I know my TA allows this. As long as we are booking another cruise and not cancelling all together.........[/quote]

I dont know, might be. I had actually booked Conquest 2 weeks earlier and they moved the date to the Crazies date, at no cost. They might agree to transfer the deposit to Voyager if I explained what happened on the Conquest and give me a break. Ill write to Carnival and see what they say back before I decide. Im also booked on both the Ecstasy and Triumph in 09, in addition to the Conquest. Was planning on all 4 cruises in 09 and totally gung ho until this last cruise.

[quote name='firefly333']I dont know, might be. I had actually booked Conquest 2 weeks earlier and they moved the date to the Crazies date, at no cost. They might agree to transfer the deposit to Voyager if I explained what happened on the Conquest and give me a break. Ill write to Carnival and see what they say back before I decide. Im also booked on both the Ecstasy and Triumph in 09, in addition to the Conquest. Was planning on all 4 cruises in 09 and totally gung ho until this last cruise.[/quote]

I know you had a tramatic experience. I wish you the best on whatever you decide.

[quote name='firefly333']I dont know, might be. I had actually booked Conquest 2 weeks earlier and they moved the date to the Crazies date, at no cost. They might agree to transfer the deposit to Voyager if I explained what happened on the Conquest and give me a break. Ill write to Carnival and see what they say back before I decide. Im also booked on both the Ecstasy and Triumph in 09, in addition to the Conquest. Was planning on all 4 cruises in 09 and totally gung ho until this last cruise.[/quote]

A couple of years ago my son went to Montreal on business and on his return home he encountered a horrible storm system that shut down air travel in the eastern 1/3 of the U.S for 3 days. It was an absolute nightmare for everyone involved and the airlines offered nothing to help out. Hotels were full and tens of thousands of people felt lucky to even get a chair to sleep in. I wasn't sure he would ever fly again but time has healed the experience. Hopefully it will for you also.

Mike

[quote name='DaisyRose']I think Carnival should have arranged bus transportation for all passengers to either the New Orleans airport, the Houston airport, or the Galveston cruise terminal. After all, even those who probably lost their cars parked at the Galveston terminal would at least want to go and check on them. The ship departed Galveston and was supposed to return to Galveston. Carnival should have gotten their passengers back there. I think it would have been OK to charge a reasonable fee for the bus ride, but Carnival should have helped everyone that wanted to go back to Galveston to get there.[/quote]Even the people who live on Galveston cannot get pass the security check point. How are the tourists supposed to do it?

Archived