catholic priest on westerdam?

the col.

But there's no guarantee. Sometimes there just isn't a priest available.

This is true, but it is also most unusual. Unless the assigned priest has an emergency that prevents him from sailing, and no replacement can be found in time, there is a priest. The coordinator tries very hard to find someone at the last minute, if necessary.

I've been on two cruises where the assigned priest didn't make it. In both cases a vacationing priest came forward and took over. A replacement did come half-way through one of the (longer) cruises.

Most of the priests I've met are retired, and get the cruise for a reduced price in exchange for serving as an onboard chaplain. Sometimes if there's a death or serious illness, they may minister to non-Catholics who need spiritual assistance. One retired priest told me he signs up for 3 or 4 cruises a year. Now that's retirement!

I've also met some priests who have a regular assignment and do a cruise once a year or so as a vacation.

Roz

My pastor took over once when the chaplain could not make it. He got an OBC, and not much of one, for the next cruise; that's all. I guess it was a volunteer thing, rather than being "on staff" with all the duties HAL expects from the assigned priests.

"Free," of course, does not include the expected tips, which are the same for clergy and lay.

Are the services listed in the daily newletter?

The rule of thumb is that Mass is late afternoon (5:00 PM) on a port day, and in the morning (usually 8:00 AM) on a sea day. Location can vary.

If Protestant/Interdenominational services are being held in the morning, they will most likely be at 9:00 AM.

Don't know why the Catholics don't get to sleep in. :confused:

For Catholics who take their Sunday Mass obligation seriously (roughly 1/3 of people who self-identify as Catholics) having a priest aboard is a great benefit and is for us a big factor in selecting HAL over other lines ( although I'm not sure that this applies to Alaska sailings). We sailed Princess this summer, which does not have a priest aboard, and had to scramble when our Sunday port was switched from St. Thomas to Tortola. Thanks to the internet I located a church within a short walk of the pier and this turned out to be a terrific experience as we were made very welcome by the local people.

Ruth you are right. Why the Catholics don't get to sleep in? Why do they have bingo and Mass overlap in the afternoon? We travel with a dear friend ( who is a HAL Chaplin) and I keep asking him not to have them overlap. So far most of the time they still overlap. It is hard for me to skip bingo!

We will be traveling again with Father on 1/13/09. But this time he will be a PAX not the working Chaplin. But I know he is realy never not working, because he has me to deal with and All my questions.

Maria

Why do they have bingo and Mass overlap in the afternoon?

You've probably heard of the "new math", but did you ever hear of the "irreverent math"? No? I'll tell you---

Two weekday Masses = one Sunday Mass (that's for those of us who don't do morning).

Three BINGO sessions = one Sunday Mass.

Four viewings of the movie The Ten Commandments = one Sunday Mass.

It's nice to have options. :D

Why don't the Catholics get to sleep in?
I'm a night person and just can't ever get up in time for the 8:00am Mass. As I have said, over and over, "It was the Last Supper, not a Communion Breakfast." My earlybird mother never liked that; my nightbird friends loved it.

It annoys the HECK out of me when Mass and bingo overlap. Has no one figured out that the same people who go to Mass also tend to be the ones who play bingo?

Tom, I love the remark about the Last Supper. :D

Roz

Archived