Britannia Restaurant vs the Princess Grill

JPH814

Gari, well said old chap, could you tell me, how does one find out how much one 's trust administrator has paid for one's hols? And what on earth is an Estate Agent? Got to run, my old nanny has turned up, it's her birthday and we have to bump her.

Gari that is funny, happens in the Grills too. If they do order wine (most don't) it lasts for days, they will even save a couple if inches.

Not much classy about Cunard, most seem to be on the trip if a lifetime as they are celebrating an anniversary. Probably been saving up for years or the kids have paid for it. (nothing wrong with that BTW). But most are just ordinary people...It's all getting like the Emperors New Clothes.

I don't think class and cruising should be in the same sentence.

Gari, well said old chap, could you tell me, how does one find out how much one 's trust administrator has paid for one's hols?

One strives to have as little to do with the old filthy lucre as possible old boy. (In my case with considerable success).

And what on earth is an Estate Agent?

He's the chappie who looks after one's estate, one comes across him from time to time in the 40 acre or the orangery.

Got to run, my old nanny has turned up, it's her birthday and we have to bump her.

Bit severe Cap'n, poor old soul must be at least 187.

Gari

Thanks so much old chum, felt pretty silly not understanding the jargon. All tickety boo now. Wouldn't want to meet the agent chappie at dinner, unles he was bringing the grouse - and I don't mean the wife this time. Yes nannypoos is getting on a bit hence the name, have to let her go soon. She has started asking for thursdays orf to get her pension, I didn't know she'd ever been to France. Live and learn eh what. Tootle pip.

They may be wearing coloured ties which they have not tied themselves; cummerbunds; dinner jackets in shiny or even white material which will have notched lapels;

Oh, my! :eek: I can certainly see how that could ruin your cruise! :D :D

The question of whether or not to choose Grills accommodation for a first time cruiser is one fraught with difficulty. Much is made of the difference in service and cuisine between the classes of restaurant. However, an important fact has been touched on but lightly in this discussion, namely one’s fellow diners.

Prospective passengers looking at Britannia class cabins should be aware that they may be dining with people who will cheerfully, publicly and loudly discuss how much they paid for their cruise, how much their house cost, and other such details of their personal finances plus the décor of their bathroom. They may be wearing coloured ties which they have not tied themselves; cummerbunds; dinner jackets in shiny or even white material which will have notched lapels; they will sport tattoos and bad haircuts (even the men). They may be wearing a wristwatch with their dinner suit or even if they are wearing a pocket watch they will volunteer its make and provenance to the assembled company without a blush. This kind of person will mention the name of his tailor and boot-maker in mixed company although some of them I fear may have purchased their apparel ready made. Many of them will spend $30/40 dollars on a bottle and fondly imagine that they are getting a drinkable wine. You will see ordinary street footwear shamelessly displayed with coloured non-silk socks, you may even encounter (Oh! tell it not in Gath, publish it not in the streets of Askelon) kilts. They will produce innumerable pictures of their grandchildren at the drop of an aitch. Some of them will have northern accents. They will drink beer at table. You may be unlucky enough to find yourself seated next to an Estate Agent.

In fact Dear Reader one could be forgiven for imagining that one has left the safe, comfortable, stable era of 1905 where the right people instinctively know how to dress; how to behave; and more importantly, know their place, and have been transported willy-nilly to some dark, distant twenty-first century dystopia where the only criterion required to travel on a Cunard ocean liner was the simple ability to pay the fare. How this situation has come to pass is a mystery but mark my words, no good will come of it.

Why take the chance of ruining your holiday book Grills and be safe.

Gari

Well, that does it!!

No more Grill slandering for me. I hadn't realized just how disgusting those gauche Britannia people are, but now that you bring it up, by pointing out just a few of their egregious manners, it has brought to memory all of those classless Britannia diners that I have broken bread with. They had indeed, displayed every one of those tactless behaviors you have mentioned-- and even more--you didn't even mention the incessant yawning and the spitting of beef gristle onto the Cuard crested plate. So from now on, without even a thought, I shall book the Grills and will, for evermore be grateful to you for sparing me all that ill-mannered Britannia riff-raff !!!

Thanks, Gari.

Gail

That's not off topic, Jackie. I'd say it was very relevant indeed. After all, there wouldn't be any posts at all on here if nobody wrote anything. And writing involves using letters. And vowels are letters. Therefore your post goes to the very heart, the absolute core, of what the board in general, and the posts in particular, are all about.

J

Well thank you kind sir for those words.......have just been perusing your QV photos Jimmy, they are fabulous and have done the trick of getting me in the mood for our voyage in May :)

Jackie :)

Well thank you kind sir for those words.......have just been perusing your QV photos Jimmy, they are fabulous and have done the trick of getting me in the mood for our voyage in May :)

Jackie :)

Oh PUHLEESE don't encourage him. He's going on another cruise next month and there will be hundreds of his pictures scattered about throughout cyberspace and they'll all be of bloody ships. What he does with all the photos of scantily clad ladies I do not know but we never see any of them.

G.

Well, that does it!!

So from now on, without even a thought, I shall book the Grills and will, for evermore be grateful to you for sparing me all that ill-mannered Britannia riff-raff !!!

Thanks, Gari.

Gail

If I can Hellllppp somebody as I pass alooong then my living.......

Gari

I am sure that the Grills serve wonderful food and of course one cannot overlook the size and luxury provided in the suite accommodations, but

when for a 6 day TA in September, Cunard are quoting on their site:

QG - £3656, PG - £2564, Inside - £1139.

If I had unlimited funds I would try PG & QG but realistically the differentials are so massive - £2500 for 6 days. Wow is all I can say and I am a great fan of Cunard and QM2, not a mass market person as some might describe those of us in "steerage"

And personally, I enjoyed my cozy inside D7 on QM2 far more than many outside cabins on other lines.

Though sticking with the topic, I was disappointed with my service in Brittania, but I think that's more a reflection on the particular inexperienced staff we had than the room as a whole.

The question of whether or not to choose Grills accommodation for a first time cruiser is one fraught with difficulty. Much is made of the difference in service and cuisine between the classes of restaurant. However, an important fact has been touched on but lightly in this discussion, namely one’s fellow diners.

Prospective passengers looking at Britannia class cabins should be aware that they may be dining with people who will cheerfully, publicly and loudly discuss how much they paid for their cruise, how much their house cost, and other such details of their personal finances plus the décor of their bathroom. They may be wearing coloured ties which they have not tied themselves; cummerbunds; dinner jackets in shiny or even white material which will have notched lapels; they will sport tattoos and bad haircuts (even the men). They may be wearing a wristwatch with their dinner suit or even if they are wearing a pocket watch they will volunteer its make and provenance to the assembled company without a blush. This kind of person will mention the name of his tailor and boot-maker in mixed company although some of them I fear may have purchased their apparel ready made. Many of them will spend $30/40 dollars on a bottle and fondly imagine that they are getting a drinkable wine. You will see ordinary street footwear shamelessly displayed with coloured non-silk socks, you may even encounter (Oh! tell it not in Gath, publish it not in the streets of Askelon) kilts. They will produce innumerable pictures of their grandchildren at the drop of an aitch. Some of them will have northern accents. They will drink beer at table. You may be unlucky enough to find yourself seated next to an Estate Agent.

In fact Dear Reader one could be forgiven for imagining that one has left the safe, comfortable, stable era of 1905 where the right people instinctively know how to dress; how to behave; and more importantly, know their place, and have been transported willy-nilly to some dark, distant twenty-first century dystopia where the only criterion required to travel on a Cunard ocean liner was the simple ability to pay the fare. How this situation has come to pass is a mystery but mark my words, no good will come of it.

Why take the chance of ruining your holiday book Grills and be safe.

Gari

Haha, brilliant Gari, as usual!

Sharon

Archived