Britannia Restaurant vs the Princess Grill

JPH814

We will be on the QM2 for a five night trip. I know the service at our reserved table in the Princess Grill will be special. But I have also heard how grand the Britannia Restaurant is. Is it odd/silly/unheard of or whatever to request to have a meal in the Britannia Restaurant just to experience it?

We will be on the QM2 for a five night trip. I know the service at our reserved table in the Princess Grill will be special. But I have also heard how grand the Britannia Restaurant is. Is it odd/silly/unheard of or whatever to request to have a meal in the Britannia Restaurant just to experience it?

It happens all the time.

Some friends in PG had dinner in the Britannia, and loved it.

If you get the chance, go for it!

Hope this helps

:)

Can you please expand on your comment - for the education of this Cunard newbie

Sure, by choosing Princess Grill accommodations and dining you have paid extra for a more sophisticated cruise and dining experience. The Princess Grill is more intimate than the Britannia dining hall, has better service and more interesting menu selections. Why pay extra and then go back to the more mass produced experience in the Britannia dining hall? It would be like going to the 21 Club in NYC and after having paid for your meal, telling the waiter that you have decided to eat at the corner hot dog stand outside.

Sure, by choosing Princess Grill accommodations and dining you have paid extra for a more sophisticated cruise and dining experience. The Princess Grill is more intimate than the Britannia dining hall, has better service and more interesting menu selections.

JPH814,

should you achieve your wish and manage to dine in the Britannia dining hall, I'm sure you will not be disappointed. Can't speak for the QM2 but on a recent cruise on QV we found the salt pork to be of an acceptable standard (and really not too "gamey"), and the ships biscuit contained very few weevils all things considered. The only real problem was the insistence of a couple of Irish gentlemen on dancing on the table and occasionally sticking their feet in the gruel. One word of advice though, make sure you follow Bob's tipping system and slip the rowing-master $1,000 in advance so that he is aware that you are one of the Lords of the Grills slumming it, or you may be forced to take a turn at the oars.

J

You could always go to the Britannia for breakfast to get a sense of the room. Eggs and bacon are the same anywhere. That way you won't miss the highlights of lunch and dinner in the PG. You could also just walk through and see it instead.

You could always go to the Britannia for breakfast to get a sense of the room. Eggs and bacon are the same anywhere. That way you won't miss the highlights of lunch and dinner in the PG. You could also just walk through and see it instead.

Also if you partake in the wine tasting program it is also held in the Britannia mess hall so you can get a feeling for the room during that session. We did that on our last cruise on the QM2.

Also if you partake in the wine tasting program it is also held in the Britannia mess hall so you can get a feeling for the room during that session. We did that on our last cruise on the QM2.

Good attempt at being a wit Robert. You're half way there!!

J

Sure, by choosing Princess Grill accommodations and dining you have paid extra for a more sophisticated cruise and dining experience. The Princess Grill is more intimate than the Britannia dining hall, has better service and more interesting menu selections. Why pay extra and then go back to the more mass produced experience in the Britannia dining hall? It would be like going to the 21 Club in NYC and after having paid for your meal, telling the waiter that you have decided to eat at the corner hot dog stand outside.

I am sure that is not correct and that the comparison you use is ridiculous, or perhaps i dont understand humour from the wrong side of the pond.

I am sure that is not correct and that the comparison you use is ridiculous, or perhaps i dont understand humour from the wrong side of the pond.

I would think that before this person criticized Britannia he might want to try it. I have heard from friends who regularly sail in Queens Grill and who had occasion to dine in Mauretania on QE2 on a segment of the World Cruise that the dining was excellent. And the order of pricing on QE2 is QG, PG, Caronia and Mauretania from most expensive to least expensive.

I can assure you that it is not a difference in humor from your side of the pond. :o

wheretonext,

I'll second the first rate food & service I experienced in the Mauretania Restaurant on QE2 in August this year & I am a regular QG passenger on QE2.

I was most impressed! & I must thank many friends & especially cunardqueen (Myles) for persuading me to try M grade for a change! I am so glad I took the plunge - no regrets whatsoever & I had some great tablemates too. I'll write a review soon.

Kind Regards,

Richard

The Britannia is hardly a hot dog stand, in fact the menus are the same minus one or two added entres and the ala carte menus. The Grills are more made to order than Britannia, but its lovely for the price, better than the HAL cruise we just came off of. I think its perfectly acceptable for some one to want to experience this great room. Kidding or not, this poster sounds like someone who I hope I am never assigned to sit with in any dinning room. Though we love the Grills we wouldn't hesitate to book a Britannia class cabin

The Britannia is hardly a hot dog stand, in fact the menus are the same minus one or two added entres and the ala carte menus. ...Kidding or not, this poster sounds like someone who I hope I am never assigned to sit with in any dinning room. Though we love the Grills we wouldn't hesitate to book a Britannia class cabin

Tsk, tsk, tsk...doesn't anyone have a sense of humor these days? Given the way the stock market is performing lately many of us Grill passengers may end up washing the dishes for those in the Britannia Grill. I would just hope that you folks tip well...:D

Have a b'fast in Britannia. The PG is wonderful, and you won't want to skip it for any meal. And be sure to have a drink before dinner in the Queens Grill Lounge. The staff is wonderful and the room beautiful. And there are great pre-dinner snacks as well.

Breakfast and lunch are served in the Britannia Restaurant with open seating, so regardless of where you eat dinner, you will have an opportunity to eat in Brittannia.

JPH814,

should you achieve your wish and manage to dine in the Britannia dining hall, I'm sure you will not be disappointed. Can't speak for the QM2 but on a recent cruise on QV we found the salt pork to be of an acceptable standard (and really not too "gamey"), and the ships biscuit contained very few weevils all things considered. The only real problem was the insistence of a couple of Irish gentlemen on dancing on the table and occasionally sticking their feet in the gruel. One word of advice though, make sure you follow Bob's tipping system and slip the rowing-master $1,000 in advance so that he is aware that you are one of the Lords of the Grills slumming it, or you may be forced to take a turn at the oars.

J

Now you are just being silly.

Really, I am surprised;)

Tee Hee Myles!!! ;)

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

Archived