Britannia Restaurant vs the Princess Grill

JPH814

I think Britannia is a super dining venue although the service is very bad. Worse we have encountered in 12 years of cruising.

I think it's luck of the draw--I've never had anything but superb service in Britannia--over 25 years of cruising. :cool:

The Britannia club section is small and tucked away, not worth the extra money for me. Never been PG but when walking past there were mostly just couples looking miserable! We prefer a large table and meeting different people. Our only disappointment...we have never been seated with guests who share our love of wine. Looking around this year scarcely anyone was having wine in the Britannia. Some even entered the restaurant carrying their half full glass from the bar..ugh!

I think Britannia is a super dining venue although the service is very bad. Worse we have encountered in 12 years of cruising.

We absolutely loved Princess Grill, allocated a table for four, but politely requested one for two which we got and was wonderful, service and food was too. We could not fault it in any way.

We are not unsociable at all but have an elderly parent living with us so 'our time' on vacation is very very important to us.

We wondered around Brittania Club on QM and actually thought it was very nicely situated with lovely sea views from many tables.

Problem is......once you have had a taste of the grills you want more! :)

I would honestly prefer to travel twice a year in the grills than five times a year in Britannia.

Just my personal opinion here.

Jackie :)

I would honestly prefer to travel twice a year in the grills than five times a year in Britannia.

Ditto Jackie. We love the atmosphere in the grills. We also like a table for 2 & far from sitting looking miserable, I don't think we ever shut up!

We still chat with others in the grills &, of course, meet lots of people everywhere on the ship.

Sharon

Ditto Jackie. We love the atmosphere in the grills. We also like a table for 2 & far from sitting looking miserable, I don't think we ever shut up!

We still chat with others in the grills &, of course, meet lots of people everywhere on the ship.

Sharon

Hi there, we're not regulars to this site, but if the rest of the pax in QG are miserable on our first QM2 trip, it'll be a swift return to Silver Sea for us.... I somehow doubt they will though and we are looking forward to our trip AND WILL ENJOY OURSELVES!!! I hear they are very liberal with the sevruga..... in QG....!

hi selfloadingcargo,

I am sure you will have a great cruise on QM2 especially in Queens Grill - I have had some wonderful holidays on QE2 in the Queens Grill & have always had such fun with my fellow dining companions worldwide many of whom I still keep in touch with & see on my travels worldwide especially on future cruises.

Yes am sure you will have plenty of caviar in the QG Restaurant - I am not too happy to hear that in the Princess Grill on QM2 they now charge for this - unlike on QE2 where caviar was freely available in all Grill rooms! I will have to go in the QG Grill on my next crossing but am in the PG Grill in May!

Kind Regards,

Richard

Hi Sharon

I live in Coalpit Heath.

It would be great to see some recent Grill QM2 menus & also programmes. I'd love to see them & if you would be able to send me some by email (rjms@btinternet.com) it would be very much appreciated & also if you have any photos of the Grill suites on board.

Kind Regards & many thanks,

Richard

Hi Sharon

I live in Coalpit Heath.

It would be great to see some recent Grill QM2 menus & also programmes. I'd love to see them & if you would be able to send me some by email (rjms@btinternet.com) it would be very much appreciated & also if you have any photos of the Grill suites on board.

Kind Regards & many thanks,

Richard,

I will do my best. We were last on the QM2 for a B2B last June & I've got the menus for both QG then & PG from before. Which do you want, or both. I will do my technical best to send them (LOL). Photo's? We've got 1000's!!

We used go through Coalpit Heath on the way to Longwell Green to Steve's parents, it's much nicer than the motorway. Far too many speed cameras though:eek:

Sharon

many thanks sharon for both Grills would be great & any suite photos too + of the restaurants & lounge. it's very kind of you.

Don't talk to me about speed cameras!!!! we have too many near us!!!!!!

Kind Regards,

Richard

So many people in QG and PG, suprised there is enough staterooms, or are they all on cruise critic and steerage don't post:confused: Bit like the wine discussions too, hard to see anyone drinking any,,,even in PG:rolleyes:

QG everytime for me, Britannia is not even a consideration. I wont say why, because if I do my post will be deleted …… again!

LOL :) The joy of this site is that everyone has their own opinions & whilst we risk deletion if we are a little naughty, at least we don't have to conform to the webmasters agenda as on other sites ;)

I will only sail in the QG too & in terms of cuisine it beats Oceania, Silversea & Sea Dream Yacht Club hands down......I've done the Britannia galley tour & found it fascinating,and a very high quality & efficient mass hotel catering operation it is too but "a la minute" it aint!!

I have always thought the same thing. Perhaps those in steerage don't know how to write?

Funny thing. I just found my Great-Grandfather in-law's Passenger manifest from when he immigrated here in 1906 from Sicilia. He sailed Steerage on the SS Italia. In the columns stating whether or not they can read or write, it says NO for both. I'm not clear as to whether that means English or any language but to answer the question: No, this particular steerage passenger couldn't.

On the other hand and side of the tree. My Grandfather from Ireland sailed aboard the SS Doric in 1926. His manifest says that he could read/write but there's no indication in what class he sailed.

So many people in QG and PG, suprised there is enough staterooms, or are they all on cruise critic and steerage don't post:confused: Bit like the wine discussions too, hard to see anyone drinking any,,,even in PG:rolleyes:

As an outsider and not really part of this "Community", why not have two forums, one Britannia and one for Grills? That way, there's no fear of each party offending each other.

It's just an observation..................but then again, it wouldn't be half as entertaining!

QG everytime for me, Britannia is not even a consideration. I wont say why, because if I do my post will be deleted …… again!

Dear I Was Born Rich,

I am proud to say that I am a member of the underclasses whom you purport to despise so much. I notice that your strongly held and oft-repeated opinion, an opinion that you appear to hold in very high regard indeed, has, to date, succeeded only in preventing your post count from rising beyond "1".

Perhaps you should view that as a tiny hint as to how others view your opinion. If you are expressing that opinion in an ironic fashion, or if it is intended to be otherwise humourous, then the humour appears to be very largely lost on your present audience. If your opinion is, in fact, expressed seriously then I, for one, find it odious, insulting, utterly unfunny, and tedious beyond belief.

Perhaps you could do us all a favour, and sing a different song, just for once. If that is beyond your intellectual capabilities, then perhaps you would consider taking yourself and your beloved opinion off to some other, preferably far distant, part of cyber-world, and expressing it there.

That's just my personal opinion of course!

J

As an outsider and not really part of this "Community", why not have two forums, one Britannia and one for Grills? That way, there's no fear of each party offending each other.

It's just an observation..................but then again, it wouldn't be half as entertaining!

Exactly! What would be the point of that? The fact we all love different aspects of the Queens is what makes this site.

Sharon

If you look at the interesting interview with Klaus Kremer, QM2 Executive Chef, on Beyondshipsdotcom (am I allowed to post that?) it seems quite a lot of the food for the Grills is cooked in the Britannia galley anyway.

Specifically, all bulkier items such as roasts and prime ribs. Indeed, he says, item such as soups are cooked in the Britannia galley for the whole ship, including the Grills, Todd English AND THE BUFFET.

Eeeeeeek!

All that money for buffet food! The service must be good.......

Yes I know it's rather sad I know that, but I'm off work long-term sick with nothing to do excep say "ow" occasionally and surf the net. I now know everything about cruising (indeed, several different types of cruising). Go on, ask me......

:D;)

My kind of comment!! there's no need to state why... if you know, you know. If all one can afford is steerage, there are far better cruise lines, who are expert in the mass-market approach. Cunard don't do this very well at all.

Gary

My kind of comment!! there's no need to state why... if you know, you know. If all one can afford is steerage, there are far better cruise lines, who are expert in the mass-market approach. Cunard don't do this very well at all.

Gary

Hey Gary! A spot of thread drift here. I see you are planning on the Equinox in January 2010. Are you still planning the Dubai - Hong Kong segment too? Steerage or Grills?

Lesley

This is 'just my opinion', but apart from Jimmy's usual excellent retort the rest of you are getting very tedious with your bitching.

Regards

Sharon, who loves the grills for personal reasons & doesn't give a fig where anybody eats. If they are genuinely nice people I will like them.

Inverted snobbery is just as ugly as any snobbery.

Archived