Britannia Restaurant vs the Princess Grill

JPH814

What you can do is what I did last January on the maiden transatlantic of the QV. I was in Princess Grill and signed up for the singles luncheon held in Britannia. (A table with myself and 4 ladies over 80) Since the luncheon was at 12 noon, I ordered a very light lunch (soup, fish, ice cream) and when it was over, I went up to the Princess Grill and had my "real" lunch. When you've paid for the grills, you don't want to miss a meal there. So, go to an early light lunch in Britannia, and then go to the Princess Grill, where you can come in up until 2 PM.

We will be on the QM2 for a five night trip. I know the service at our reserved table in the Princess Grill will be special. But I have also heard how grand the Britannia Restaurant is. Is it odd/silly/unheard of or whatever to request to have a meal in the Britannia Restaurant just to experience it?

No it is NOT odd, silly or unheard of. Last Jan. we were in PG and were very fortunate to have friends invite us to join them in Britannia. It was absolutely WONDERFUL! And we're hoping next Oct. to get to do the same, hint, hint Vic ;) Do give it a try!

Betsy

We are in the process of trying to make a decision whether to book Princess Grill or Brittania Club for the trip around the British Isles. We are trying to debate whether the Princess Grill is really worth the extra when addressing the dining. We are taking family members and there will be five of us in total for the anniversary cruise.

It is not the issue of whether it can be afforded, it is to do with the dining aspect and value for money in this area. We are just having difficulty with this decision. Most of the other areas (i.e. priority embarkation/dis-embarkation, private lounge, fruit, flower in vase, larger cabin suite, bath, captains cocktail...etc.........) these are not that important for us. We are however, looking forward to experiencing this magnificent liner. The most important area for us is the one seat dining room sitting and the quality of the food.

Having recently spoken with Cunard, they explained that all the food came from the same kitchen for all restaurants and the head chef was responsible for all food leaving the kitchen.

The lady also said that the menu selections between Brittania Club and Princess Grill were pretty much identical a la carte with only small modifications, and that you can also order off menu in brittania club, and that it is often the wine listing only that is different. (i.e. more expensive wine selections in princess grill/queens grill). Please don't shoot the messenger if I have this mistaken, I am just repeating what was told to me on the phone. It sounds like the Brittania Club with its one seating is a good option.

Can anyone who has been in both Princess Grill and Brittania Club offer any advice? It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much. :)

It sounds like the Brittania Club with its one seating is a good option.

There are some (a regular QE2 QG crosser among them) who believe that the Britannia Club offers the best 'value' on the QM2 - just as many believe its nearest neighbour 'Caronia' does on the QE2.

Personally I have never minded 'set' dining times - I tend to dine at the same time every evening in any case - and if you are at a large table with 'open' dining times it can be a pain if some are on their soup and others on their coffee......unless you all agree to dine at the same time.....in which case you have 'set' dining times....

Peter

With five of us would we have our own table in the Brittania Club Restaurant? Thank you.

AFAIK table sizes are 2, 4 & 6 - there might be 8s - but these are likely two 4s pushed together. So I guess you will be seated at a '6' - so they might assign a solo traveller to your table - but a word with the Maitre'D should be able to sort it out.

Peter

A- so they might assign a solo traveller to your table - but a word with the Maitre'D should be able to sort it out.

why.....have you got a problem with dining with solos...?????? Maybe I should bring my blow up doll so no one notices!

We are in the process of trying to make a decision whether to book Princess Grill or Brittania Club for the trip around the British Isles. We are trying to debate whether the Princess Grill is really worth the extra when addressing the dining. We are taking family members and there will be five of us in total for the anniversary cruise.

It is not the issue of whether it can be afforded, it is to do with the dining aspect and value for money in this area. We are just having difficulty with this decision. Most of the other areas (i.e. priority embarkation/dis-embarkation, private lounge, fruit, flower in vase, larger cabin suite, bath, captains cocktail...etc.........) these are not that important for us. We are however, looking forward to experiencing this magnificent liner. The most important area for us is the one seat dining room sitting and the quality of the food.

Having recently spoken with Cunard, they explained that all the food came from the same kitchen for all restaurants and the head chef was responsible for all food leaving the kitchen.

The lady also said that the menu selections between Brittania Club and Princess Grill were pretty much identical a la carte with only small modifications, and that you can also order off menu in brittania club, and that it is often the wine listing only that is different. (i.e. more expensive wine selections in princess grill/queens grill). Please don't shoot the messenger if I have this mistaken, I am just repeating what was told to me on the phone. It sounds like the Brittania Club with its one seating is a good option.

Can anyone who has been in both Princess Grill and Brittania Club offer any advice? It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much. :)

ok guys, here's my penny's-worth.. We have sailed many times in Britannia - the food has always been ok. The big problem I have ALWAYS had is the big variation in service. I have given the maitre'd 'feedback' on three voyages about the lack-lustre service in the Britannia.

Believe me, I am not hugely fussy, I have waited tables for a job in the past and I know what it's like. But I expect things to be predictable and constant. Instead, we have encountered... sommelier not coming to the table to take our wine order night after night, then filling the wine glasses virtually to the top so that he wouldn't have to come back quickly and re-fill, waiters getting the orders wrong, cold soup, rushed service - staff whooshing past at 100 miles an hour, not being offered petit-fours (not that I need a tiny piece of pink jelly with sponge, but its the principle..) sometimes not remembering special requests like my love of mayo (which proves I am not that posh), the list goes on...

So, now we're going into PG. I know the food will probably be the same (after all, the same selections are on both menus). But I am willing to pay more for better, more predictable service.

I can state categorically that there is one thing, and one thing only, that I dread before my voyages on the QM2... what will the service be like this time in Britannia, will I have to give 'feedback'?, will it be ok?, will I feel like I am a guest at a third-rate wedding reception...?

Don't get me wrong, we have had some exemplary service in Britannia - but this has been becuase of the goodwill and natural customer focussed attitude of the staff, not down to carefully followed process and procedure..lousy un-customer focussed staff give service to match in this restaurant. My view is that the people who say they have always had brilliant service in this restaurant have been very very very lucky..

So, my advice, if you've got the cash... go PG and remove the worry...

Gary

so they might assign a solo traveller to your table - but a word with the Maitre'D should be able to sort it out.

Peter

If I were a solo passenger I would not want to be assigned to a table of six that includes a group of five. I would rather be assigned to a table with s few other solo passengers.

ok guys, here's my penny's-worth.. We have sailed many times in Britannia - the food has always been ok. The big problem I have ALWAYS had is the big variation in service. I have given the maitre'd 'feedback' on three voyages about the lack-lustre service in the Britannia.

So, now we're going into PG. I know the food will probably be the same (after all, the same selections are on both menus). But I am willing to pay more for better, more predictable service.

Gary

Gary--did you try the Britannia CLUB? I hear from several friends that it is vastly different from the Britannia, and more in keeping with Grill standards.

M-L

Believe me, I am not hugely fussy, I have waited tables for a job in the past and I know what it's like. But I expect things to be predictable and constant. Instead, we have encountered... sommelier not coming to the table to take our wine order night after night, then filling the wine glasses virtually to the top so that he wouldn't have to come back quickly and re-fill, waiters getting the orders wrong, cold soup, rushed service - staff whooshing past at 100 miles an hour, not being offered petit-fours (not that I need a tiny piece of pink jelly with sponge, but its the principle..) sometimes not remembering special requests like my love of mayo (which proves I am not that posh), the list goes on...

I can state categorically that there is one thing, and one thing only, that I dread before my voyages on the QM2... what will the service be like this time in Britannia, will I have to give 'feedback'?, will it be ok?, will I feel like I am a guest at a third-rate wedding reception...?

Don't get me wrong, we have had some exemplary service in Britannia - but this has been becuase of the goodwill and natural customer focussed attitude of the staff, not down to carefully followed process and procedure..lousy un-customer focussed staff give service to match in this restaurant. My view is that the people who say they have always had brilliant service in this restaurant have been very very very lucky..

Gary

Hello, hello, what's this? Someone daring to criticise Cunard's service.

Well done that man!.

I've travelled on the Mary a few times, the main reason being that I hate airports and I love NYC. I just wish some other line would take a shot at the TA route. Fat chance. So while Cunard has the monopoly I'm stuck.

I have to say that my experience of the Britannia on both the Mary and Victoria, unlike Gary's, has been consistent every time. Always glacially slow. Although much prefering the second sitting we have migrated to the first sitting on the last two occasions. Not that the service was that much faster but at least your meal was served before 1045pm. The Victoria was particularly bad. A nice boat and all that but the steerage class dining experience, (as we must call eating these days) was an exercise in patience and irritation. We resorted to the Lido on a few nights, which is OK but you don't get the social aspect of the dining room.

The badinage, the swift repartee, the thrust and riposte of robust debate about how much one has paid for the trip. (At least on British tables).

I endorse Gary's remarks about the Sommelier too. On one night, our companions' wine didn't arrive until the main course was practically finished. Personally at that stage I would have refused it. Like Gary, I don't consider myself to be fussy, in fact I have fairly low expectations of any kind of service these days and they are usually fulfilled. I don't expect grill class service because I haven't paid for Grill class service. But Cunard with all their BS about 'Fabulous White Star Service' ad nauseam, promise what they frequently fail to deliver.

I of course know this now so I make the decision to travel with Cunard

a) On the Mary because it's the only way to get to the US without flying and

b)On the Victoria because I'm prepared to tolerate the shortcomings for the other benefits of the vessel.

Gari

This is interesting reading from experienced cruisers, thank you all. Well, after discussing with family members we are going to book into the Princess Grill and not Britannia Club. All family are excited at the thought of good wine, food and service at the table. So decision made. :)

This is interesting reading from experienced cruisers, thank you all. Well, after discussing with family members we are going to book into the Princess Grill and not Britannia Club. All family are excited at the thought of good wine, food and service at the table. So decision made. :)
A simply superior decision you will not regret. Please have a marvelous cruise.

I have enjoyed this discussion and - as a upcoming first time Cunard cruiser - appreciate the insights on the categories. We have strayed a bit from my original point, but that is fine. For the record, I think I am inclined to maybe venture into the Brittania for a lunch or maybe a breakfast, but wil likely have all of our dinners in the PG. Would a lunch at Todd English give us a good feel of that experience?

The discussions have also re-inforced our decision to go PG level. I do enjoy excellent service and dinners on a cruise are usually one of the highpoints of each day. It sounds as if the PG will have a more consistent experience. I do wonder if it will feel like a small, intimate dining room as opposed to a grand party (am I right?) - but then again, service in a smaller room is usually better than service at a grand party.

My only problem now is friends who are considering joining us who will most likely want to go Britannia class. I will have to break it to them that, if they want to eat dinner with us, they are going to have to upgrade.

I don't think that is true or else I misunderstood the Executive Chef when we toured the Galley. He told me there are 5 kitchens on the Mary. 1 for Britannia, 1 for King's Court, 1 PG and QG, 1 for staff and 1 for Todd English.

Having eaten in all three main dining rooms, I will say there is a slight difference in the a la carte and there are some different choices on the daily menu. Also, you have the ability to order anything in the QG and it will be made for you. On our last crossing we ordered Osso Bucco and it was magnificent.

I think your choice of the PG is a good one and I hope you have a wonderful voyage.

Warm regards,

Morrie

I have enjoyed this discussion and - as a upcoming first time Cunard cruiser - appreciate the insights on the categories. We have strayed a bit from my original point, but that is fine. For the record, I think I am inclined to maybe venture into the Brittania for a lunch or maybe a breakfast, but wil likely have all of our dinners in the PG. Would a lunch at Todd English give us a good feel of that experience?

The discussions have also re-inforced our decision to go PG level. I do enjoy excellent service and dinners on a cruise are usually one of the highpoints of each day. It sounds as if the PG will have a more consistent experience. I do wonder if it will feel like a small, intimate dining room as opposed to a grand party (am I right?) - but then again, service in a smaller room is usually better than service at a grand party.

My only problem now is friends who are considering joining us who will most likely want to go Britannia class. I will have to break it to them that, if they want to eat dinner with us, they are going to have to upgrade.

Joe,

You're doing the right thing. PG is definately the way forward for you. I also share your worry over the PG restaurant. Even though I am critical of the Britannia's service, it is a lovely and lively. January will be our first time in PG, for the reasons I stated before. I know it will be more intimate, with less people to oogle at (terrible I know, but maybe the best part of any dining experience can be found in others' outfit choices!).

Just go there for lunch or dinner once or twice, you'll get a feel for its scale and grandeur (and I bet you a fiver that you'll also get a feel for the terrible service, and thank the lord you're not dining in there every night).

Oh, here I go again, sorry everyone - I repeat, I have had some wonderful nights in there!

As for Todd English, I love it - for one reason, it feels like you're in a restaurant and not on a ship - service, food and attention to detail are excellent, and well worth the few dollars. We resisted going there for the first couple of voyages we did (why would you when you have all the other 'dining experiences' at your fingertips)... don't hesitate, book a table and go (the steak is great, the chocolate pudding is incredible, as is the tiramisu)

I wonder if they have mayo in PG.... maybe that's too downmarket....

Gary--did you try the Britannia CLUB? I hear from several friends that it is vastly different from the Britannia, and more in keeping with Grill standards.

M-L

Hi Nom, we did think about it once, but when we looked at the restaurant, it looks a bit small for us - and I don't think that good value... the same Britannia menu, in a rabbit hutch, with a choice of pillow at night... hmm, not sure I'd pay for that!!!:rolleyes:

G

I have only tried the QM2 once on a crossing in Nov 2005 & enjoyed the food very much - service was very good at Dinner but painfully slow at breakfast!!! I would compare the food quality & service to the Caronia Restaurant on QE2 & I usually travel QG grade on QE2 but still enjoyed my dining experience on QM2 albeit the service on the rest of the ship was not brilliant & I just found the ship too big!

Kind Regards,

Richard

For the record, I think I am inclined to maybe venture into the Brittania for a lunch or maybe a breakfast, but wil likely have all of our dinners in the PG. Would a lunch at Todd English give us a good feel of that experience?

I would definitely do a lunch and not a dinner in Todd English. It's not worth missing a dinner in the grills. As for paying for the grills and eating in Brittania, I know others on these boards have talked about it, but don't understand why on earth anybody would want to do it. I've posted on another thread that I went early to lunch in Brittania for a singles gathering, ordered very lightly, and after this went up to the Princess Grill and had a big lunch. Maybe a breakfast would be what to have if you insist on going to Brittania.

Archived