Cars at cruise terminal in Galveston - Video

excitedcruiser

We had a similar situation here after Wilma in 2005. We had 2 storm surges and there were very few vehicles left the next day - no taxis, no busses, no scooters, no new cars and no rental cars. The insurance companies came down, assessed the damage and made offers. Some folks felt they got a good deal, some negotiated. The overall feeling was that they were fair & did a good job. Of course, we were all still here and had places to live, though damaged, so that may make a difference in Galveston.

I remember watching a brand new red Cadillac float down our road, windows going up & down, seats going back & forth, trunk popping open and the alarm blaring. Quite a sight.:eek:

Don't know why, but this just hit me. If you car is damaged by a tree limb falling on it during a storm, or you hit a deer, etc....these are not considered accidents with any fault. Therefore, there is no deductible to be paid......does being flooded by a hurricane fall into the same catagory????

Wait.. what? Im a claims adjuster for auto insurance and you just baffled me. Under all policies im aware of (im in Florida) you ALWAYS pay your comprehensive/collision deductible when you use your policy... regardless of fault.

I have to agree.

I guess this would be a good reason to just fly in to port and leave your carf at home....

for every one of thee stories I can probably find 10 about the horrors of flying in. Ours last february was one of them. We probably wont fly again. Add in the cost of flying and it just doesn't seem worth it to fly in? Plus the cost from airport to terminal. UGH

Oh, oh, oh.... you are wrong!

My neighbors tree fell on my car and it was considered an "act of God"...

No one even wanted to know, that the tree had been dying for years, and we had asked the neighbors to trim the tree..

It went against my comprehensive insurance, with a $100 deductible (I had to pay).

Imagine my surprise when I got up at 5:00AM, to see a tree across my car.:eek: .

I thought this would fall under their homeowners policy? I guess different laws in different states?

I d be afraid to buying a truck in Texas for fear of it also having flood damage?

They have this great service that almost everyone uses for used cars, I think they advertise nationwide, call CARFAX. it is illegal to sell a flood damaged vehicle, and if you did buy one, probably got it from one of thoose rat hole used car lots that will finance anyone.

I d be afraid to buying a truck in Texas for fear of it also having flood damage?

If the vehicle was covered by insurance, the owner will never get it back. It will be siezed, impounded and eventually sent to the crusher. Not only is it not salvageable, it is also a bio-hazard. The only flooded vehicles that would go through a restoration would be non-insurance vehicles. Check for rust under the seats (frame and springs) and in the seams of the trunk. Usually there will be tell tale signs that will give it away if you take the time to bend over and look. New carpet and seat covers are a dead giveaway. We had holding lots around Mobile after Katrina with MS and LA flood vehicles. In less than a year all had gone to the crusher and the lots were closed.

Archived