14 day Hawaiian??

heatherkristin

Do you think a 14 day Hawaiian Cruise (Golden in Nov. of 09) would be too long for a first cruise? I am dying to take my boyfriend on a cruise so he can be addicted just like me. =D But I am kindof worried that 14 days might be a little long for a first cruise.. has anyone gone on one this long for a first time?

Otherwise I may resort to a 5 day Mexican Riveria (on Carnival..kinda iffy about that too) if the 14 days is too long.

He has mentioned that he would like to go on a cruise(poor guy never went to disneyland or the snow until we got together) so Im going to try and make either a suprise for him.

Any input you have I would most certainly appreciate it!

Well I certainly would enjoy the 14 day cruise to Hawaii(in fact going on Oct. 09)Now the thing you need to ask yourself is would you enjoy lots of sea days. There is lots to do but maybe you and him might get bored. There is 4 going over and 4 coming back and in between is the 4 stops of the islands. If you do not mind that then go for it. Our first cruise was a 11 day and loved it.

Marilyn

I know he and I would enjoy the sea days.. he loves the ocean and i love the relaxation...plus we want to meet lots of people! I think I just may go for it...5 days just seems too short (i think i got spoiled on my last 7 nighter...). I think this is the only way we would ever see HI as neither of us want to go there, but a cruise that stops there just seems more fun. :)

My only caution about starting with the 14 day Hawaiian for him - does he get seasick? Since he hasn't cruised before, you might not know one way or the other. And with all the sea days at the start, if he happens to, it is going to be a longgggggg trip. Can you take a really short little cruise and find out?

We LOVE the RT Hawaii out of LA and are booked on it again in 2010, so I think it is a terrific cruise (as long as one is a good sailor).

My only caution about starting with the 14 day Hawaiian for him - does he get seasick? Since he hasn't cruised before, you might not know one way or the other. And with all the sea days at the start, if he happens to, it is going to be a longgggggg trip. Can you take a really short little cruise and find out?

We LOVE the RT Hawaii out of LA and are booked on it again in 2010, so I think it is a terrific cruise (as long as one is a good sailor).

that is my only possible worry... his father owns a houseboat that he is verry used to being on and he said he never gets seasick.. im just worried the waves will be BIGGER! lol

Our first roundtrip to Hawaii on Celebrity we had a rough first night. We had never been seasick before but both felt a little queesy that morning. We took Bonine and that took care of it. The last time we took Bonine the night before the cruise but didn't really need it.

The only negative I can see is if you think he will get seasick - that is not to say it will be rough, but it might. There are a lot of meds out there that can be taken (make sure none interact with others). Other than that, I'd say go for it. Our Hawaii cruise was one of the best and I think he is one lucky guy ;)

I agree with some of the others. The chance he might become seasick being it's his first cruise is higher. And the cruise to Hawaii can get quite rough the first/last couple of days.

Sorry, but for a first cruise, I vote for a 5 day cruise, just to see how he handles it. If that works out well, then I would book a longer one for the next adventure. But if by chance he doesn't handle the seas well, it could be a very long 14 days and possibly your last cruise together EVER!

I tend to get motion sick. Therefore when we took our first cruise, and not knowing how my family would like it, we opted for a 5 day cruise. Turns out I was fine. But then the seas were calm.

Why not start with a 7 day instead of a 5 or 14? Also, a houseboat is a lot different than a ship on the ocean. 14 days will be a long long time IF he gets seasick.

i went last yr on the 15 day run and liked it, were goingback this nov yeah. i dont know if my first cruise at 14 days would be a great idea . my wife loves to cruise .i love it now but the first longer cruise we took i didnt ,one way to look at it is that for 14 days you will be toghther away so thats always nice ,we met alot of 1st time cruisers last year . i was taken back really , some liked it some thought all the sea days were a lil long , depends on ur tatse ,talk to a TA . theres other hawaii cruise's out there , what ever u choose enjoy

Sorry, but for a first cruise, I vote for a 5 day cruise, just to see how he handles it. If that works out well, then I would book a longer one for the next adventure. But if by chance he doesn't handle the seas well, it could be a very long 14 days and possibly your last cruise together EVER!

I agree with Toto. Do the shorter cruise now and if he loves it...book Hawaii next! It'll be there next year. ;) If you feel a 5 day is too short, book a 7 day.

Whatever you decide...I wish you the best of luck and a great sailing!!

thank you all so much for your input!! I definetly dont want to feel the vacation is 'wasted' for him if he gets seasick, and ya a houseboat is probably a lot different(i have never been on one to compare) i may have to break the suprise and ask him what he would prefer for a first cruise.. i really appreciate all the input!

I wouldn't worry that much about getting seasick. I'd worry more about him getting SPOILED!

haha i would love that! He did not get many things when he was a child//teenager so I already have spoiled him... =\

i tell him that as soon as I get back from one vacation I have to plan another so there is something to look forward too!

Do you think a 14 day Hawaiian Cruise (Golden in Nov. of 09) would be too long for a first cruise? I am dying to take my boyfriend on a cruise so he can be addicted just like me. =D But I am kindof worried that 14 days might be a little long for a first cruise.. has anyone gone on one this long for a first time?

Otherwise I may resort to a 5 day Mexican Riveria (on Carnival..kinda iffy about that too) if the 14 days is too long.

!

My DB & SIL did the 14 day cruise the first week in Dec. They said they were the youngest couple onboard. They are in their mid 50's.

Average age onboard was 70+ -Passengers who can take that length of cruise (Retired)

Just giving you heads up.

The 14/15 night cruise is very nice but it may just be too long for a first cruise. If a person is a very active person all of those sea days on a first cruise may just be to much. I know lots of people who like to cruise but 7 days at a time is all they want.

My concern wouldn't be the length as much as the itinerary you've chosen. The sea can be quite rough trans-Pacific, and you are at sea for several days in a row. First timers tend to not have their sea legs yet. Also, you didn't mention your age, but I've done this one, and it's a true geriatric experience. The music was geared for older people, the entertainment was geared for older people, the food was bland, parties were over by 11:30pm, etc. There were only about 20 people less than 70 on board--Sandytoes is dead on right about that. So if you are older, that's perfect. But if you are younger (especially if you are active), I'd take him to the Caribbean or Mexican Riviera for the first time around. You want him to get hooked!

Have a great cruise!

take the full 14 days (plus travel) but with either a 7 or 10 cruise - I believe a 5 days is just too short. Leave from from a city you've wanted to visit (Seattle, San Francisco, New York, Vancouver....) and spend a couple of extra days pre and post cruise being a tourist. Even a short cruise would be challenging if you were prone to seasickness. Since some boat experience, bet he would be fine. My vote would be for 10 day Mexican Riviera out of San Francisco - we have one booked for this coming April. Whatever your decision, have a great time.

I agree with those who suggest a shorter cruise and one with a calmer itinerary. Even though he has houseboat experience, cruising across the California current seems to be very different from cruising many marinas.

We had some people who were cruising for the first time on our Hawaiian cruise, and they were among the many who stayed in their cabins during the first few days when we were going through rough seas.

When I was dating my future hubby, he wanted to see how my sea legs were and took me on an one-day gamblers' special, San Diego/Ensenada. Since I was able to handle any rolling action (as long as I had a remedy or two) and enjoyed the activities onboard, we went on many cruises since then (when we can).

But if you have a family member who is unsure they can handle rough seas or can, but hates sea days, then you should consider a different cruise. My family really enjoyed this cruise (my hubby and daughter doesn't mind rough seas at all and we all love just relaxing) and we even were discussing going again on another RT Hawaii cruise sometime soon.

wow I really like the idea of possibly doing a shorter itenirary like a 7 day and spending a couple days in port... that just may work!

And to the posters who were mentioning age.. that def. has me thinking as we are both 22... so maybe a different tour all together may work... I really want to go to the carribbean anyways just trying to avoid buying a plane ticket LOL.

I've done the r/t LA-Hawaii twice, and also a 7 day to the MR. That 7 dayer was the shortest I've been on, and it was way too short.

In all 3 cruises out of LA, there was no rough water, though I do know that some people have reported the opposite. But with sea bands, ginger, and and several medications available for seasickness, your concerns about that could be eased. Plus the ships have stabilizers that would help mitigate the ship's rocking in rough water.

On both of the Hawaii cruises, there was a good mix of ages. It was not a "senior special". Maybe there was 60% older cruisers, but there were plenty of people in their 30s and 40s, and some 20-somethings. Princess did not "roll up the sidewalks" after dinner. And there was such a wide variety of daytime activities available on sea days during the daytime, that you can be as active as you choose.

In addition to the above cruises, I've taken 3 10 days ones. Seven days was just too short. Ten days is nice. 14 - 15 days is even better.

Even though you'd like to do a surprise, I agree with those who suggested that you talk it over with him before deciding.

Archived