What makes you get weird looks on your cruises?

mpwarder

We get the stares when we walk into the dining room with all five of our children. It gets better when we join our friends who have 3 or 4 themselves. I must add, however, that we have always received many compliments on how well behaved our children are- especially during the long 2 hr dinners. I know some people cringe when they see us coming, but those are usually the ones who turn around and make a positive comment sometime during the trip. You should see the looks when we fly! (especially when I had 4 in carseats!)

We got horrendous stares from a couple when my whole family cruised with my niece who had just turned 1. She was not doing anything to bother these people. She didn't cry or try to run around. She was really good every night. My brother and SIL had her nap before dinner. If she was fussy on the way down to the dining room, they would opt out and go to another area to eat OR one of the others in our party would take her and do alternate dining. But these people walked up to my brother and SIL and said "Why did you bring that baby? You know she can't be enjoying this." The woman seriously looked every speck of Cruella D'Evil's body double. LOL So we called her Cruella after that (well, not to her face).

Ditto!! I just try not to think about what those delicious, crispy strips are doing to my poor cardiac vessels. :(

The weirdest thing I've seen that made me stare was on my first cruise. We had a really fun group of singles sitting at an 8 top and across the aisle sat a family of 4 who never smiled EVEN ONCE during dinner for the entire 7 days!! As a matter of fact, they frowned and stared at their plates without saying a word to each other throughout the meal each night. We knicknamed them the Grouchy Family. I just can't imagine paying all that money, being on such a wonderful vacation, and being such sour-pusses. One night I actually took a picture of them just to prove to my family and friends back home that I wasn't making up the story. It's in my scrapbook and I still laugh when I see it.

I was laughing so hard at this one, the bacon and speedo, my eyes turned red, and my stomach aches.

Not bashing gays, so don't flame me. I have many friends that are gay. But last year on the Emerald Halloween cruise, we had a group of about 300 "Bears". If you wanted to see some stares, you should have been there for Halloween. Some verrrrry interesting costumes. Then there was their underwear party in Skywalker's. I just happened to be lucky enough to get into an elevator with 4 of them in the most flashy looking leather underwear, and thongs to boot than I'd EVER seen!! Some of the seniors I believe lost some of their dentures just staring with their mouths wide open!! It was hilarious!

LOL - I remember seeing one of those bears in Horizon Court in a bright yellow speedo that was three sizes too small. The swimsuit almost looked like it was a g-string at the hip! They had great costumes on Halloween, though!

What a terrific way to end the day, a good laugh by reading all these messages so I'll add one of my own. We took a fabulous Mediterrean cruise last May and arrived in Barcelona a few days early to enjoy the sights. After reading on Cruise Critic about how bad the pickpocket situation is in Europe, we went well prepared in protecting our valuables. My husband wore a Tilley's vest - you know the one, no sleeves but oodles of pockets. He actually had a chain that ran from the zipper of the pocket on the lower right side to the one on the left. He had his cane attached to his vest so he wouldn't forget it somewhere. He even had his back cushion, which he takes everywhere, hanging in a plastic bag on his back. Now there were other little things he did with safety pins to ensure that there was no way that anyone would dare try to make him a victim. We had just returned from one of our shore excurions and were on the elevator of the Emerald Princess. Another couple got on. The gentleman was really giving my husband the once over because, frankly, he did look a wee bit ridiculous. Hey, his security measures worked so what the heck, other than it took him 10 minutes to undo everything every time we had to go through either airport or ship security and then 10 minutes to do it all up again! LOL! Anyway, I just gave the man a big smile and told him it was okay to laugh, which he did. I'm pretty confident, though, that he wasn't the only one to stare at us during the trip and he is likely to get many more on our next cruise. Guess that's the best thing about getting older....you can be a little more eccentric and really don't care what others think - life's too short!

My 12-year old DD and I took a last minute cruise to Alaska last summer. We are Northwesterners and think nothing of swimming in 50ish degree water since that is what it runs around here. :D So every night in Alaska, we headed up to the pool for a late night swim. The water felt warm to us although the air may have been a bit nippy. We got a number of very weird looks from folks as they watched us swimming or saw us headed up there in swimwear at that time of night. It was kind of fun, though...the pool was always empty and as the ship was leaving Juneau, a bald eagle flew right over us, not 15 feet above our heads.

We were on the Disney bus on our way to the Disney Magic. A lot of the kids were getting restless. This older women said to her husband that she could not belive how many kids were on the bus. Everyone on the bus turned and stared at her. Did'nt she think there would be a lot of kids on a Disney cruise?

We were waiting on an elevator with four or five people ahead of us. I was standing just in front of a potted plant that someone had hidden a remote control fart machine in. This thing lets out an ungodly blast:eek: and everyone turned and looked at me. I couldn't keep from laughing and just walked away while I'm sure they thought it was the real thing.:rolleyes:

Archived