What makes you get weird looks on your cruises?

mpwarder

Is this the weird stares thread or Bacon Lovers Anonymous meeting? :D

Don't know if someone else stared, but I sure did when DH came back from the buffet with a small mountain of bacon on his plate. I wasn't even sure he had anything else on the plate! I asked him, did you leave anything for the other pax? :rolleyes:

Last year on the Crown, DH was given plenty of stares and a wide berth as he was on the Pool Deck. He looks quite forbidding with a Shaved head and a large (tasteful) tattoo but he is probably the softest person in the World.It surprises me the way some people can pre-judge others.:rolleyes:

Last year on the Crown, DH was given plenty of stares and a wide berth as he was on the Pool Deck. He looks quite forbidding with a Shaved head and a large (tasteful) tattoo but he is probably the softest person in the World.It surprises me the way some people can pre-judge others.:rolleyes:

And, from a place called "Saskatoon".....I'd be scared to stare! :eek:

We sometimes get weird looks when we get our "Welcome Aboard Drink" as soon as we step on the ship. It is usually late morning/noon & I'm sitting there drinking my favorite martini! I guess for some people it's a little bit early in the day...for me it's the start of a few days in paradise!

Let's talk about the "stares" that we dislike......

People who stare at your plate, while they're walking by, in the buffet

Okay, I gotta cop to this one -- guilty as charged, ma'am. But I'm not staring in a criticizing-you-for-eating-the-Mt. Rushmore-of-bacon way, I'm just eyeballing your choices to see if I missed anything good -- cause you know everybody else's food choices always look better than one's own. Now, if I were to stop and snap photos of other people's plates -- that's going too far!

Is there anyone out there who can think the word "bacon" and not hear that adorable dog in the commercial for Beggin' Strips: "Bacon, Bacon, I smell BACON!" I love those ads.

LOL at the bacon thing.. it's true... me too, but I like the fatty ones... yummm... you can keep the crispy ones! :D

It's always interesting watching other people do the stare thing. On a Mediterranean cruise, there was a family of very overweight Germans who delighted in wearing the skimpiest thong-type swimwear. Watching other people's reactions as they passed by was priceless.

I like the crispy, fatty ones. Yikes! Crisp fat!

I think we bacon eaters have high-jacked this thread!

We always get stares, My DH is 6"6" and I am 5'2", yes we are quite a pair, sort of like mutt and jeff. But we have been married almost 40 years , so we do just fine. We ignore people that are rude and have a good time.

Cori

My husband is 25 years older than I am. We have been together for 15 years. Sometimes we get looks when we slow dance with each other in the lounge. Like they are thinking we are father/daughter???...NOT!

We sometimes get weird looks when we get our "Welcome Aboard Drink" as soon as we step on the ship. It is usually late morning/noon & I'm sitting there drinking my favorite martini! I guess for some people it's a little bit early in the day...for me it's the start of a few days in paradise!

You mean everyone doesn't do this!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Is there anyone out there who can think the word "bacon" and not hear that adorable dog in the commercial for Beggin' Strips: "Bacon, Bacon, I smell BACON!" I love those ads.

Hey...I remember that commercial. Haven't seen it for a long while. Is it still running?

./////I will be checking out all the bacon eater's bacon the next time I go on a cruise. Bacon on a cruise will just never be the same. I had no idea bacon is so popular. No one has ever mentioned it as being their favorite food on the buffet but maybe bacon would be at the top of the list.

Hey...I remember that commercial. Haven't seen it for a long while. Is it still running?

./////I will be checking out all the bacon eater's bacon the next time I go on a cruise. Bacon on a cruise will just never be the same. I had no idea bacon is so popular. No one has ever mentioned it as being their favorite food on the buffet but maybe bacon would be at the top of the list.

I don't think I've ever done anything that's gotten me weird looks on a cruise yet (at least, not that I've noticed....)

After reading this thread, however, I'm thinking that on my next cruise I'm going to start taking photos of all the bacon-piled plates exiting the buffet line. That might cause some stares.....but I figure I'll be okay as long as I don't make any sudden moves toward the bacon. :eek:

I love bacon too.... fatty or crispy :D

However I do miss the good old Danish Back Bacon that we eat here at home - you never get it on cruise ships :( .....

Perhaps I should bring along a pack or two and ask for it to be cooked and brought to my table on my next cruise - then I might get some funny stares too.

I get weird looks all the time; it's hard to single out what I'm doing at any given moment to deserve them since my days tend to be weird look after weird look . . . I don't know why -- I seem normal to me . . . Anyhoo,

Okay, these two stand out:

1. Sunbathing in 50-something-degree, very windy weather. In my defense, I will just say that the sun WAS out. And if it's out, I'm out. A magnificent tan doesn't just happen by itself, you know.

2. Grading a pile of midterm exams while waiting for trivia to start. Yes, that was me! Now some of you know exactly who I am; my anonymity is blown.

Reading "Basic Economics, a Common Gense Guide to the Economy" pool side. That one got me a few :eek: (but it is a good book).

I wear a red cap that says MICH on it and invariably I am asked if I am from Michigan

DUHHH no My name is Michele -too long to put on cap so MICH it is

People got mean with me during the Superbowl because I wore the Mich hat and they thought I supported Michigan

ACtually I don't know the first thing about football American or Canadian ...

THe cap remains a conversation piece or an ice breaker

If I'm on your ship say HEllo

Michele

I have to chime in on the crispy vs. fatty bacon issue. I will give NCL credit for this, they have a crispy tray and a fatty tray. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Now THAT is a smart idea! You get the best of both worlds that way! FWIW I'm a crisp bacon guy. And yes, I could eat a mound of it every day for breakfast if I had the opportunity.....especially if it's nice and crisp!!

Bob

I was just thinking this morning, before I read this thread, how much I was looking forward to BACON on my cruise. I don't eat it at home, but enjoy it so much whenever I am out for breakfast. I hope no one decides to do a bacon interevention on me during the cruise.

I always get stares when I:

Wear a baseball cap indoors

Walk around with a toothpick hanging from the corner of my mouth

Try to force my way onto an elevator before others can get off

Walk around the ship in a bathrobe

Try to go to the dining room in shorts on formal night

Try to consume 10 free drinks in 3 minutes at the Captain's Welcome Party - and then take two more with me to dinner to save money

Wait 15 minutes to take an elevator to the next higher/lower deck

Drink soft drinks for breakfast

Walk around the ship all day with a supersize soda in one hand a sandwich in the other

Talk loudly on my mobile telephone with a crowd of passengers around me

Eat dinner first in the Lido and then change clothes and eat dinner again in the dining room

Take extra food back to my cabin to ensure that I will never go more than 90 minutes without a meal

Order 6 main courses at dinner - just becuse it's "free"

Start vomiting because I have eaten too much

Start shouting at the purser desk because my cabin doesn't look as large as it did in the brochure

Complain that the ship feels like it is moving

Ask them to turn on/off the wave making machine in the swimming pool

Insist that they cancel the evening show so that I can go to bed at 9pm without being disturbed

Complain that nobody told me that satellite calls cost extra

Complain that nobody told me that I need a photo ID to reboard the ship

Complain that the cruise line is forcing me to go through immigration and customs

Complain that the Captain parked the ship so that the view from my balcony is spoiled

Complain when I am forced to pay for extras

Complain that the ship is too large

Complain that the ship is too small

Complain that if I had known where this ship was going, I would not have taken the cruise

Complain that none of the 17 items on tonight's menu interests me

Eat the very same things for breakfast every single morning and then complain that the breakfast selection was so limited

Complain that the ship did not celebrate my birthday that occurred 4 months ago

Complain that I can buy a coca cola cheaper at Wal Mart

Complain that there are so many children on a Christmas Cruise

The strangest one we ever saw was Ed, a single guy travelling alone.....but with his teddy bear. On formal night they both got dressed in their tuxes and had their photos taken together. The ship's photographer told us later he was saving it for posterity. Let's just say Ed was a little odd. :eek:

Nothing I do gets strange looks (I hope!).

Whole ship stares:

Years ago I took a Carnival cruise with some friends. A group of 4 20-something guys were there with some interesting t-shirts. On the first sea day, 3 of them wore shirts that said "Where's Darryl?" Later on it was "I thought I saw Darryl!" The next to last day one wore "I'm Darryl!" and the rest "Found Darryl!". It was a lot of fun and we all had a good laugh.:D

What great attidtudes you all have about swimsuits!! Thanks for giving me courage:p

Once we boarding ship in Galveston during Mardi gra. We all purchased blinking hats in town and once on board the ship went walking around ship at night blinky!! Some refused to get into elevator with us.:eek: :eek:

Archived