Jewel - 10 day Panama

mysticdream

Hi:

I am considering a cruise on the Jewel (Panama route) over March break and I have a couple of questions that I know you knowledgeable cruisers can help with:

1. Will this cruise have fewer kids on it then the other Caribbean routes even though it is March break (in Canada anyway).

2. Will two (mature) teenage girls enjoy the route. I know they would like Costa Rica. I am not to sure about Panama.

3. I have read comments about the AFT deck seven balconies restricting your view. I don't quite understand the issue. I need a room that has both the sofa bed and the Pullman as they are too big to share the sofa bed. There are not many rooms that can accomodate this. There were a couple on deck 7 at the back and one on Deck 9 right at the very front. Is it better to be right at the front than on Deck 7 aft.

Thanks

Its March break for us (oNTARIO) and we have booked the March 13th Panama canal. We have a 13 and 18 year old so I hope there are some other kids on board. I do expect there may be less kids than you would normally see in the middle of March though. We were in the same predicament, as we needed a pullman and a sofa bed. We booked early though and got a hump cabin on deck 7. I have seen a couple of bargain E1 cabins on deck 7 for our cruise. It may be the ones you are describing. If so, they look great to me.

The deck 7 balconies are NOT obstructed. Yes, the lifeboats are below you, but you will still have a full "vista" view. You do need to know that the balconies forward and aft have an extra couple of feet of balcony space, but they don't have the balcony partition all the way to the railing, like some of the other balconies. There's about a 2 ft. space with no partition--only railing separating your from your neighbor. It shouldn't be a problem.

Of course, if you can get a true "aft" balcony, that's the best bet for a deck 7 cabin.

And yes--the longer the cruise, the fewer the kids.

As to whether the teens will enjoy this route--I would have, when I was a teen...there are alot of seadays with only the pool to distract. Ask them!

We're going to book during an April break and are also counting on the length and unusual itinerary to be less attractive to families... although our 8 year old is adventurous and will love it.

I am looking forward to the ship hearing how much everyone seems to love it, but I am disappointed at the lack of balconies with a look down at the water location. You either go to deck 7 forward or aft with the half height partition from your neighbor, or you go up and look down into the deck 7 balcony.

I would love to do aft facing but they are all 2 persons only (can't justify the price of the one Jr suite.)

Its March break for us (oNTARIO) and we have booked the March 13th Panama canal. We have a 13 and 18 year old so I hope there are some other kids on board. I do expect there may be less kids than you would normally see in the middle of March though. We were in the same predicament, as we needed a pullman and a sofa bed. We booked early though and got a hump cabin on deck 7. I have seen a couple of bargain E1 cabins on deck 7 for our cruise. It may be the ones you are describing. If so, they look great to me.

Thanks for the help. We are also in Ontario. I have 13 and 16 year old girls. This cruise seems a bit pricey in comparison to some of the shorter Caribbean cruises but the itinerary seems cool. Were the bargain cabins on the web site or were they specials of some kind.

Hi:

I am considering a cruise on the Jewel (Panama route) over March break and I have a couple of questions that I know you knowledgeable cruisers can help with:

1. Will this cruise have fewer kids on it then the other Caribbean routes even though it is March break (in Canada anyway).

2. Will two (mature) teenage girls enjoy the route. I know they would like Costa Rica. I am not to sure about Panama.

3. I have read comments about the AFT deck seven balconies restricting your view. I don't quite understand the issue. I need a room that has both the sofa bed and the Pullman as they are too big to share the sofa bed. There are not many rooms that can accomodate this. There were a couple on deck 7 at the back and one on Deck 9 right at the very front. Is it better to be right at the front than on Deck 7 aft.

Thanks

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=16401382#post16401382

Take a look at the above thread and go to post #15. The picture looks down on two people in an aft balcony. I'm pretty sure they are on deck seven.

After going back and looking at the pictures again, the couple in question maybe on deck 8. If you were in an aft balcony you would have to look over the white eve near the bottom of the picture. You would get a "better" view higher up but I don't think it would be a deal breaker.

FYI- in the US, many private schools have their spring break in mid-March.

On our first vacation after retiring from teaching (over 30 years) we were shocked when we got to the airport and found SO MANY families. We thought it would be all adults!!

Your teens will find many their age on the trip. Enjoy.

We are booked on the Jewel for the 11 night PC in December. Can't wait.

We were on the Jewel 10 Panama in January. Had aft balcony Deck 9 (D1 9256). Fabulous views of the locks. Photos in the link below. We did not even get off the ship in Panama because we wanted to experience both legs of the transit through the locks.

Enjoy your cruise.

Kathy:)

Thanks for the help. We are also in Ontario. I have 13 and 16 year old girls. This cruise seems a bit pricey in comparison to some of the shorter Caribbean cruises but the itinerary seems cool. Were the bargain cabins on the web site or were they specials of some kind.

Ok, since you are also in Ontario I assume you are referring to the March 13/09 sailing of the Jewel. That's the one we are on. If you are looking at a balcony cabin for 4 we got ours (E3) for $1999.00 for the first two, $699.00 for the second two.

They now have SOME E1 cabins available near the rear of the ship (not many mind you) for $1549 for the first two, and $699 for the second two. That's what I meant by bargains...compared to what we paid anyway, and even compared to other similar sailings. As it is, all of the E category cabins are down to $1799 so we did get a nice $400 price drop.Its a little more pricey that Carib sailings but it IS longer (10 days) and more interesting ports of call.

The itinerary is what lured us, that and the fact that EVERYONE agrees that the Jewel is a beautiful ship to cruise on. Let us know what you decide. There is already a Meet and Mingle set up and some of us are on the roll call board chatting. Oh, at the time of sailing we will have an 18 year old boy and 13 year old girl and there is at least one other couple on the roll call board with kids of similar ages.

On the 11/28/08 10 night cruise on the Jewel. There are still balcony cabins available for $1199 We switched out reservation to a guarantee for $1099 and wound up with a D1 balcony.

Wow, nice.

Like I said, we have seen some downward movement in the pricing so we can hope for more as we get closer.;)

And we had to book when the kids could go, and they need to take an extra four days as it is.

Archived