Tipping (Mariner)

cruzndiz

I know tipping is supposed to be included but I'm sure I'll want to give a little something extra to our cabin steward and then I heard about this general "crew fund". Is there some kind of collection point for this or do they leave envelopes in your cabin? I know I'm getting way ahead of myself, but I would hate to feel like a novice and not know the proper procedure. Thanks:o

Good question and one I am interested to see the replies to also as I have recently booked my first cruise with Regent. Like you I know it says 'all inclusive' but it would seem strange not to give my room stewardess at least a little something extra....

Regent really does not want you tipping the cabin steward. The crew are well paid and much better then the main stream lines where tipping is expected to supplement their salary. I know that it seems foreign not to do this but please don't buck the system. No one leaves a tip unless a crew member has done something extraordinary and gone out of their way to do it. Example, going into town, in port to pick something up for you and then delivering it to your cabin......that would be grounds for giving the steward a tip. But for everyday good service it is not required, nor expected and that's why Regent says all-inclusive including tips. You've already paid for it in your cruise fare.

If you really want to leave something to show your appreciation then you can do what several of us do here and that is leave money in an envelope with Crew Fund addressed on it and take it to the office and they will see that it gets to the Crew Fund. This money is pooled and shared by the entire crew of the ship and used for things like buying bycycles that they all can use while in port. Stuff like that.

So please don't tip individuals, no matter how strange it feels and ruin what Regent has going. After a few all-inclusive cruises you will soon get used to it. You are in for a treat and will love Regent.

Pat

If you don't want to look like a novice, follow the guidelines and know that your tips have already been paid in your fare. You honestly do not need to tip more. We have asked our cabin stewardess/favorite waitress, etc. in the past if they want something from ashore (they don't always get to go off the ship as we do!). If they say yes and we have really appreciated their efforts then we will buy it for them and give it to them. Also, there is the crew fund if you just insist on handing over cash. There is no envelope or box/jar for it usually, just ask at the reception desk. The person there may or may not know about it, if they don't ask them to find someone who does. But, by far the thing that all the staff/crew appreciate the most is when you mention them and their work in your comments card! You may receive a couple of mostly blank comment cards in your cabin and you have to free-form write your complaints and compliments. Trust me whatever you write there will be read and shared and discussed in meetings, etc. You will hear back about it from the people affected. Debbie

When I read the initial post, my heart sank and I thought "Here we go again!"

This topic attracts a good deal of hot air and sometimes animosity and Host Dan has to step in.

However, Pat and Debbie above have articulated clearly how the "no tipping" policy should be approached. It is so good to know that the excellent service given by Regent staff is not in the servile expectation of a tip.

Mentioning a name on the comments card is appreciated by staff and management alike and a donation to the crew fund, if you have had specially good service is a practical way to help.

Thank you all for your replies. I don't have a problem with the no-tipping policy at all (in fact I prefer it to the more usual who/how much, etc. minefield) however, travelling solo I usually build up quite a rapport with my stateroom steward/stewardess and on several occasions I've picked up a small gift somewhere along the way and given that at the end of the cruise....I do always mention those I feel have given excellent service on the comments cards, I know from my previous Crystal cruises that they get passed on to the respective crew members...

Okay, thanks for all your replies. I certainly do not want to "open a can of worms" LOL so will be sure to abide by the no-tipping rule. I do hope the comment forms leave me enough space to properly acknowledge those individuals I feel should be recognized.....I'm sure that coming from "mainstream cruising" I will find a TON of them who are awesome!

P.S. Hi Esther!

I agree that naming wonderful crew by name really means a lot to the staff. I received wonderful service from one of the crew members and mentioned his name on the comment card and in a letter to the cruiseline's president. On our 2nd cruise, he made sure to assist me whenever he saw me.

On the other hand, I, unfortuately, had to comment on another crew member who not only was rude to my daughter and me but continued on with the same manner with 2 other guests within 30 minutes of our being there. I was shocked! My daughter insisted that I write something about him on the comment card (given out mid cruise). We then had the luck to have him as our waiter the rest of the cruise! He was correct but distant while we dined. This was truly the exception to our experience on the PG.

As to small gifts, what would you suggest? Chocolates? I like the idea but I am clueless as to what would be appropiate.

As others have mentioned, we have been instructed (maybe discouraged is a better word) to not tip our room stewardess, individual bartenders etc. We always abide and wish others would as well. We do always make a contribution to the crew fund....usually $200. for a 7-10 day cruise. This is shared by all the members, many who are behind the scenes and would otherwise not receive recognition. I think this may be able to be added to your shipboard account.

The comment card is very important to the crew and management so take the time to complete it.

If one reads any of the cruise line threads, the consensus is that the phone cards are useless. They often do not allow international access even if advertised as such. It depends on the different carriers on the docks. I would never give a phone card after hearing first hand that they are not useful.

If one must go against the tide, give cash. Then the

crew member can at least buy the appropriate card which is usually conveniently for sale in a little shop adjacent to the piers.

That being said, if my favorite crew member is going ashore at a port, I often slip him/her some cash for a few drinks and a bite to eat.

If you feel that you have received exemplary service the best thing to do is make a donation to the crew fund. That way all of the crewmembers benefit. The fund is used to buy equipment for the crew lounge, provide an emergency fund to help members who have to go home for an emergency situation, etc. You can make the donation at Reception. It is added to your cruise account.

I have always left an envelope with the front desk and they have always had me label it "Crew Welfare," but I'm sure either way is fine - fund or welfare! Sometimes they ask for my room number to attach to it and call it a way of keeping them honest. (?)

But anyway, I have posted before that while we do abide by the no-tipping policy, it has been awkward on several occasions doing so with room service. From this we surmised that someone is tipping and setting a new (?) precedent, and I really just stopped ordering room service rather than "buck the system" -or- feel uncomfortable. (Not the best policy, I'm sure.)

After several Regent cruises now, many of my family, friends, and clients feel I'm touting a rule that is passe, and maybe think I'm just 'tight,' but I do recognize that tips are sometimes overtly anticipated. And I feel it should be stated, not ignored (as I have done)...:rolleyes:

So, there you have it -- a dilemma for me, but not for some. Not wishing to 'fan the flames,' just adding this in the name of reality for many. If the precedent is ignored, will it go away? I find these discussions helpful and enlightening.

I have always left an envelope with the front desk and they have always had me label it "Crew Welfare," but I'm sure either way is fine - fund or welfare! Sometimes they ask for my room number to attach to it and call it a way of keeping them honest. (?)

But anyway, I have posted before that while we do abide by the no-tipping policy, it has been awkward on several occasions doing so with room service. From this we surmised that someone is tipping and setting a new (?) precedent, and I really just stopped ordering room service rather than "buck the system" -or- feel uncomfortable. (Not the best policy, I'm sure.)

After several Regent cruises now, many of my family, friends, and clients feel I'm touting a rule that is passe, and maybe think I'm just 'tight,' but I do recognize that tips are sometimes overtly anticipated. And I feel it should be stated, not ignored (as I have done)...:rolleyes:

quote]

Please tell your family, friends and clients that you are not touting a rule that is passe. While I do not know you personally, I doubt if you are 'tight'. Your point about the possibility of tips being overtly anticipated, is right on!!!

Here is an example of expectations. We live next to the Canadian border. Several restaurants in the U.S. feel that Canadian's do not tip as much as U.S. citizens. The expectation of servers is so high, they would prefer not to serve Canadian's. There can be many arguments on this subject. Do employers in the U.S. pay servers a living wage? Absolutely not. Does Regent pay their employees a better wage than other cruise lines? Yes!

The three 'luxury' cruise lines made a informed decision to price their cruises in a way that it can be all-inclusive. When Regent employees are hired, they are aware of this policy. But, when certain American's feel that they are making things better by tipping for the services these employees are paid to provide, it creates problems.

It is interesting that Europeans, Australian's, Canadian's (the only three I have personal knowledge of) understand and abide by policies. In China, there is a law against tipping. Does anyone truly think that U.S. citizens respected this law during the recent Olympics? There are times I am embarrased by citizens of our country that think that their feelings should overrule policies set forth by other countries or, in this case, cruise lines. We may live in one of the greatest countries in the world, but, how dare us impose our laws on others?:confused:

Travelcat I hear everything you are saying but......Clearly, SOMEBODY and I'm sure more than one SOMEBODY has been doing some tipping! I know I haven't yet cruised Regent but believe me when I say I've read EVERY SINGLE post concerning RSSC that's on this board and others. There is definitely a consistent theme running through all the threads that says recent pax have been made to feel uncomfortable by RSSC employees who were clearly hinting towards getting tipped for some service.

I'll be danged if I'm going to have some employee making me feel like a piece of *(^%& over a couple bucks.

Travelcat I hear everything you are saying but......Clearly, SOMEBODY and I'm sure more than one SOMEBODY has been doing some tipping! I know I haven't yet cruised Regent but believe me when I say I've read EVERY SINGLE post concerning RSSC that's on this board and others. There is definitely a consistent theme running through all the threads that says recent pax have been made to feel uncomfortable by RSSC employees who were clearly hinting towards getting tipped for some service.

I'll be danged if I'm going to have some employee making me feel like a piece of *(^%& over a couple

bucks.

Appreciated your post. You actually made my point. . . why should anyone feel like a piece of *(^%&) over this. We contribute to the crew fund but absolutely do not tip and resent those that create the atmosphere of employees who"clearly hint towards getting tipped for some service".

Regent created an incredible luxury experience. . . . only to be compromised by people who believe they must oppose the policy.:mad: Get a grip folks. . . or, if you want a luxury cruise experience with tipping expected, cruise Crystal!

Originally Posted by cruzndiz viewpost.gif

I'll be danged if I'm going to have some employee making me feel like a piece of *(^%& over a couple

bucks.

For years we did not consider cruising, even though many friends had been enthusiastic about their experiences, because of the crowds, tipping, fixed seating, smoking and general hassles that we perceived existed on the main stream lines. In August, we decided to splurge for our 25th wedding anniversary and try a Regent cruise to Alaska.

We were extremely satisfied with the experience and have booked two additional Regent cruises in 2009. Even though we are Canadian:Dwe would consider contributing to the Crew Welfare fund if we thought the services provided were more than expected from the Regent advertising. However, if I was made to feel "like a piece of *(^%& over a couple bucks" you can bet that the individual that made me feel this way would feature prominently in my comment card (I can be a real Canadian grouch:mad:).

When Regent advertises that gratuities are included, I accept that they are paying their crew members equivalently or better than what other lines pay (salary plus gratuities). If this was not true, I think that this would be obvious in the attitudes of the crew. In my very limited experience with the one cruise, none of crew we encountered seemed to be expecting additional compensation.

If we encounter an expectation of additional gratuities on future cruises we will definitely consider cruising on other lines (Crystal) where we only pay the gratuities once

mike

MikeIam -- hope you didn't take offense to the Canadian reference. . . we enjoy our neighbors to the not so far North (we live 22 miles from the border:-)

Congratulations on your 25th anniversary. Our 29th will be celebrated on the Voyager October 11th!:)

Talking of wedding anniversaries, we celebrated our 55th on Mariner. The staff in Signatures did us proud, as did all the other guests who crowded round with good wishes ( and a card from the Captain, with a bottle of Champagne and a cake in our suite when we got back).

Hope you have as memorable a time on October 11th.

Archived