Jacksonville Info Only

jwjax

Just checking to see if this was a good place and if it was six miles or twelve which is mentioned later in this thread.

It is more like 12 miles to the port. The reviews seem to be generally good. It is in the heart of one of our restaurant districts

jw:cool:

jwjax, thanks for all your info.

If my family and I stay at the Holiday Inn by the airport what will be be able to do? Is there shopping, water front, etc.

Hi,:) there is a brand new mall near the Hotel.. Riverplace. Lots of new

shops and restaurants.

The waterfront? You can go downtown and the St Johns

is there....it runs throughout the whole city.

But no place near the waterfront in reference to the hotel.

(Except the port;))

Thanks for the map. That helps so much. So, there are a couple bridges to go under to get out to the ocean. It must be the bridge under A1A that is the one that is so exciting. I hope we are out of muster drill in time to get up top to see and enjoy the experience.

Edited by CruisinCindy55

Thanks for the map. That helps so much. So, there are a couple bridges to go under to get out to the ocean. It must be the bridge under A1A that is the one that is so exciting. I hope we are out of muster drill in time to get up top to see and enjoy the experience.

Actually, there is only 1 bridge. The map shows A1A crossing the St. Johns River, but in fact it is a ferry that crosses at that location.

The 9A Dames Point bridge is the one that everyone is talking about. The ship clears it by 5 or 6 feet at most. :eek:

Look for Kroozfoolz's video in this forum or the All Fascination forum.

Usually they will hold the muster drill before departing, but not always. The bridge is about 10-15 mins from the port once the ship pulls away.

Thanks KroozFoolz for the map of Jacksonville. We (DH, DD21, DD14 & Me mom) will be crusing in July for daughters 8th grade Graduation. We are always looking for a reason to cruise Graduation sounds good to us. We are flying in the day before and the girls need to shop.We have never been to Jacksonville. We are looking forward to visiting jacksonville. Keep the information coming.

Actually, there is only 1 bridge. The map shows A1A crossing the St. Johns River, but in fact it is a ferry that crosses at that location.

The 9A Dames Point bridge is the one that everyone is talking about. The ship clears it by 5 or 6 feet at most. :eek:

Usually they will hold the muster drill before departing, but not always. The bridge is about 10-15 mins from the port once the ship pulls away.

I've seen that video and can't wait to experience it for myself in person. WOW!!! That is why I was wondering how much time I had and which bridge to watch for, etc. I just hope muster doesn't take too long. Thanks for the clarification.

Thanks for this. We are sailing on the FAscination in Sept. and I have looked all over to find out long it would take to clear the bridge. I do hope that the muster drill, or "sinking practice" as it is called at our house, is quick and painless. I definately want my MIL to see this. It will freak her out.:p

Hi,

We are going to be in JAX next month on business. I would like to stay somewhere convenient to the airport (up to 30 minutes away) as we have to be there by 8:30 a.m. for our flight home. We would like to go to the beach, Amelia Island or Ponte Vedra in the afternoon. I am thinking about the Baymeadow area or Butler Blvd. Could you please tell me what you think would be best? Also if Baymeadow/Butler Blvd. is ok, how is traffic weekdays? And how is traffic from the beach back to town in the late afternoon or early evening? Thanks!

Hi,

We are going to be in JAX next month on business. I would like to stay somewhere convenient to the airport (up to 30 minutes away) as we have to be there by 8:30 a.m. for our flight home. We would like to go to the beach, Amelia Island or Ponte Vedra in the afternoon. I am thinking about the Baymeadow area or Butler Blvd. Could you please tell me what you think would be best? Also if Baymeadow/Butler Blvd. is ok, how is traffic weekdays? And how is traffic from the beach back to town in the late afternoon or early evening? Thanks!

If you are staying in the Baymeadows/JTButler area, going to Amelia Island will take you about a hour just to get there. Getting to PV beach is directly East on JTB from the baymeadows/jtbutler area, may 20 mins or so.

I don't know how the traffic is these days on JTB, but coming to town in the afternoon, should have a lot less traffic than leaving town.

Check out this site for some info on the Jax area.

http://www.visitjacksonville.com/

Thanks, sorry for the delay. I had computer problems for a few days. Since I posted, I have heard the traffic around Baymeadow is heavy in the morning. Do you have any other ideas?

Just met someone from Amelia Island at an estate sale today. She was hoping we were driving (to carry her packages)!:D

Thanks, sorry for the delay. I had computer problems for a few days. Since I posted, I have heard the traffic around Baymeadow is heavy in the morning. Do you have any other ideas?

Just met someone from Amelia Island at an estate sale today. She was hoping we were driving (to carry her packages)!:D

Hi,:) I live here too.

We have morning traffic like all major cities around the country.

If you are staying in Baymeadows (I live 2 minutes from there)

you will definitely have to give yourself 30-45 minutes going to the

airport in the morning. It probably will not take you that long

(it never takes me 45) and I fly out alot to go cruising from

other ports:) but I still suggest the extra time to you as a visitor.

Amelia Island is an hour from here. The beaches are 20-25 minutes

depending on which beach. Atlantic is the furtherst north

while Ponte Vedra would be the furthest south.

Jacksonville is VERY,VERY spread out.

LOVED Amelia Island (driving on the beach), Ponte Vedra, and St. Augustine the last time we were there. This time we are going to drive to Charleston for a couple of days.

About how long would it take to get to the airport from Jacksonville Beach?

LOVED Amelia Island (driving on the beach), Ponte Vedra, and St. Augustine the last time we were there. This time we are going to drive to Charleston for a couple of days.

About how long would it take to get to the airport from Jacksonville Beach?

Give yourself 1/2 hour.

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the May 2-7 Fascination cruise out of JAX and wanted to let CC's cruising out of JAX about my positive experience with the Holiday Inn Express-Blount Island. This is the closet hotel to the port-about 2 minutes away.

We were not sure what time we were leaving to drive to Jax from Memphis so we did not make hotel reservations. We had a long 11 hr drive (not so sure about my new GPS now) and actually ended up getting lost once we got to Jax. We were trying to find a hotel near the airport. Anyway, I remembered the Holiday Inn Express being near the port and not wanting to take a chance on getting lost the next morning I called information and got the number. My call was promptly answered by a nice young lady. She said yes there was "room at the inn" and after I explained that I was geographically challenged, even with my GPS, she asked where I was and then gave directions that got me to the Holiday Inn Express without any problems. After being on the road for 12hrs my 2 friends and I were glad to see a smiling face when we checked in.

The room she gave us was right near the stairs on the second floor and spotlessly clean. The beds were comfortable.

I got up early the next morning and went down to the free breakfast buffet to get my morning cup of coffee. I took it out front and sat on a nice bench and enjoyed the nice Jax weather. I also noticed that the grounds were immaculate. Every employee I encountered that morning said a hearty good morning with a smile on their face. I am not a breakfast eater, but from what I saw there was just about anything you wanted for breakfast. They even had eggs in the a heated case. My 2 friends ate breakfast and said the cinnamom rolls where really good.

There was a Wendy's next door and a convenience store about a block away.

I highly recommend the Holiday Inn Express-Blount Island if you are staying the night before you cruise out of JAX.

I did the 5-day Fascination cruise back in early January, and never came back here to thank everyone, especially JW, for all the helpful information. I had an absolutely wonderful cruise, and was dismayed :( to learn when I got back that the proposal to build a new terminal at Mayport was rejected.

Jacksonville was so easy to fly in and out of, as well as cruise out of. I liked the idea of having another less crowded cruise port in Florida. According to what I read in the news reports, even if Jacksonville changes its mind later on, it would be years before Carnival or another line would homeport a ship there. Too bad, because long term I think it's going to be a loss to the city and county.

As Lois R said back in post #90, we had the chance to meet for lunch. She met me at the Hampton Inn & Suites near the airport, and we went to the Longhorn Steakhouse which is in front of the hotel. There's also a Ruby Tuesday's right next to it, so there's no need for a rental car if you fly into JAX. The Hampton Inn has free shuttle service to and from the airport.

The hotel is very clean and modern, with a friendly staff. I stayed there on a Sunday night, and was upgraded to a suite. I "paid" for the room with Hilton Honors points, so that was a nice surprise.

The only thing I would do different, in order to save a few dollars, would be to use the Carnival shuttle from the airport. If you're sailing alone or with one other person, it's cheaper than a taxi. The taxi from the hotel to the cruise port cost me $30 (including tip). I could have taken the free shuttle from the hotel to the airport, and caught the Carnival shuttle for $13. Of course I would have tipped both shuttle drivers, but it still would have come in at well under $30.

Carnival did a nice job of renovating the Fascination. I'd been on one her sisters, Sensation, so I had a good idea of what it looked like pre-refurbishment. The food and service were good, and I enjoyed the ports, Key West and Nassau. I'd never been to either one. I loved Key West and would go back there anytime. Wasn't really impressed with Nassau but did an intersting tour.

Thanks again for all your help, information, and advice.

Roz

Does anyone know how early they allow people to start checking-in/boarding?

When we sailed, it was 11:45am when they started boarding. We arrived at 10:44 and they had already processed 3 zones of people. Maybe 25-50 per zone, I am not sure though....

So it appears as though they started check-in around 10 or so.

• 1 month later...

so it's sounding like the holiday inn express or clarion are recommended by the airport, correct? Any reason to choose one over the other?

We are staying a night after the cruise as well. Our flight doesn't leave until the following day at 4pm, so I'd like a decent hotel. Maybe on/close to a beach but not TOO expensive? I'd like to stay within 30-40 minutes of the airport.

Thank you for the guidance!

so it's sounding like the holiday inn express or clarion are recommended by the airport, correct? Any reason to choose one over the other?

You might want to check the park and shuttle options at the airport area hotels. The HIE is about 1/2 mile or so to the port, while the Clarion and others are closer to the airport and about 20 mins or so to the port.

We are staying a night after the cruise as well. Our flight doesn't leave until the following day at 4pm, so I'd like a decent hotel. Maybe on/close to a beach but not TOO expensive? I'd like to stay within 30-40 minutes of the airport.

Thank you for the guidance!

If you stay at the airport hotels after the cruise, the closest beach is about 30 mins away at Hugenot Park. 9A South to Heckscher Drive East It is a drive on beach. It is about 15 mins from the HIE near the port.

If you stay at a beach side hotel in Atlantic or Jax Beach, it will be about 45 mins back to the airport.

Either option is good, just keep in mind that on weekdays, morning Westbound traffic from the beaches could delay the trip back to the airport.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all ,few ? On hotels that offer shuttle service to the port. Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions . Looking at the Travelodge it’s reasonable price but have a $18 surcharge for the shuttle to the port round trip. any other hotels that can offer the same for less . Shipping out late nov. plenty of time to make a decision.