Mariner restaurants?

ERParadise

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to eating or not eating at the two speciality restaurants ("Signatures" and "Latitudes") on Formal, Informal and "Country Club Casual" nights?

What is the dress code at Signatures and Latitudes?

What happens on Formal nights on the ship? Is it better to be in the main dinning room on those nights for special events or does it matter if we eat at one of the speciality restaurants on Formal nights?

Thanks for the advice!

Steve

Hmm, most of these will turn out to be personal preference, but here goes my take...

If you don't want to dress up then you want to either order the Compass Rose menu from room service or eat in LaVeranda where the dress code is always casual. The dress code in Signatures is always at least Informal (so also Formal on Formal nights, but never casual). The dress code in Latitudes is the same as the dress code ship wide and in Compass Rose.

I think most people prefer to eat in Compass Rose on Formal nights because you will find the menu trending towards higher priced foods on those nights. For example, on our last Mariner, Kobe beef was served only on Formal nights. That is also when you see the most caviar and lobster on the menu for dinner. If you don't like or care about those foods, then Formal nights will find lighter crowds in the specialty restaurants usually and you should be able to get in there without a reservation being booked before you leave home. (We usually wait and check the menus before we make day of or last minute requests for the specialty restaurants. That usually works out fine. You can ask the dining room manager or maitre d' to have menus delivered to your cabin the night before, otherwise you will find them on the bar in Mariner Lounge on the day of.)

Debbie

I also agree with dining in Compass Rose on formal nights. "Informal" nights men do not wear a tie and can wear slacks and a sports jacket (or, if you want to pack less, he can wear the same suit without the tie).

If you're cruising after December, Latitudes will be "history" and "Prime Seven" steakhouse will be in it's place. It's bound to be extremely good. Signatures has a wonderful ambience -- impeccable service. . . we enjoy dining there once per cruise.

The informal dress code usually consisted of women in nice dresses, skirts and blouses or pantsuits. Most men wore a jacket with tie, although one night, i just said "Screw the tie" and nobody cared. While dining at Latitudes one night, one gentlemen was wearing khakis, and one of those big dog sweatshirt, and no one cared.

But dont miss the specialty restaurants. They are very good. Equivalent to a 4 - 5 star meal.

We have dined at Signatures on both Mariner and Voyager many times. It has always been top notch (and we are from Europe and eat out a lot in really nice French places...) So do include at least one dinner there on your cruise. Portions are, by American standards, small. So you can have 3 or 4 or more courses, and the choice for each course is splendid.

My personall appreciation of Signatures was increased by the fact that I took two Cordon Bleu courses, one on each ship. Our "graduation" dinner was held in Signatures and it was amazing - and included dishes we had learnt to make. But on our last cruise (S America) we ate at Signatures 3 times without benefit of a "Cordon Bleu" evening and each meal was truly memorable! We love it. We are on the Navigator next May and I know we will regret the lack of Signatures!!

As for Latitudes - I have never had a memorable meal there, be it when it was Alaskan salmon focussed on the Mariner or later on both Mariner and Voyager when it was Indo-Chine. So, coming from a country where good steaks are outrageously expensive and hard to find (sigh!!) I can only rejoice that Prime Seven is about to arrive on those two ships!!

You definitely do not need a tie on informal nights.

If you really hate dressing up, then go to Signatures on one of the formal nights. Yes, the menu in Compass Rose is usually special on Captain's welcome night (second night), which is always formal (if there are any).

Alternatively, go to Signatures on informal night, since they are always informal. My husband will do anything to limit the number of nights he has to wear a jacket, for example.

I've had one unmemorable meal in Signatures, on Voyager. When we did the cordon bleu cooking course, on Voyager, Signatures was spectacular, both the special dinners and the normal.

Yes, after 6:00 p.m. the dress code is strictly enforced. On the Mariner in June, I was in the Observation Lounge (just after 6 p.m.) wearing nice jeans and was VERY politely told jeans not allowed and just to remember for next time. I should've known this but remembered after that.

Yes, after 6:00 p.m. the dress code is strictly enforced. On the Mariner in June, I was in the Observation Lounge (just after 6 p.m.) wearing nice jeans and was VERY politely told jeans not allowed and just to remember for next time. I should've known this but remembered after that.

I guess it depends upon the cruise. In May, there were several people in t-shirts and shorts (after 6 p.m. in the Observation Lougne) -- nothing was said to them. We love wearing jeans, but, do not pack them as we would want to wear them:-)

I wear jeans, nice ones, on most of the tours. So I also appear in them at breakfast or lunch depending on the tour schedule. I never wear them during the evening or during the day if I'm not heading out on tour. I don't think there is a "no jeans during the day" rule unless it's self-impossed.

On our Mariner cruises (Alaska 2004, Caribbean 2007) we dined in Signatures one night on each cruise. I liked it. My husband did not. On Alaska cruise we did have dinner in Latitudes and did not care for it.

Our norm is breakfast at La Veranda and dinner in Compass Rose. Usually lunch at La Veranda or Pool Deck.

Debbie: I'm working my way through your journals and love them. Thanks.

Our next cruise: Mariner Caribbean Jan. 2009

Our next cruise: Mariner Caribbean Jan. 2009

Catenai: you must be on the January 15th sailing.....come join the roll call :D and give me all the "details" on the Mariner. This is my first time sailing RSSC and I am over the moon, beyond excited!!!

Debbie: I'm working my way through your journals and love them. Thanks.

Bad news, I'm afraid. I got an email notice from AOL last night that they are taking down their Journals feature. I have no idea yet what to do, if anything about that, but the journals at their current address will disappear as of Oct. 31, 2008. Sorry! Debbie

Archived