Change to Shareholder Policy Credit Email

pamkev

I just got this reply after I requested shareholder credit for a up coming cruise

*Please note** For any sailing that is confirmed on or after October 15, 2008, the shareholder benefit will no longer be combined with any other benefit or offer, whether that is dollars off or an onboard credit. The only exceptions are the Crown and Anchor Platinum and Diamond balcony/suite discounts and Royal Caribbean or Celebrity credit card Reward Points for onboard credit or discount. In the event two offers/benefits are available on any reservation, you may choose which offer you prefer. Unless told otherwise, we will assume you wish to have the offer/benefit with the higher value. Please visit our investor's website at http://www.rclinvestor.com for full program details.

Enjoy your cruise!

Well, that will kill off the booking onboard program for any shareholders.

Why would someone tie up a non-refundable deposit to get $100 OBC (for a cruise that costs 2,500 - 3,999) when I can get $200 - 250 for the cruises I typically book?

What really ticks me off is I booked 2 Celebrity Passages last month and now it appears I will get absolutely nothing for them since I have my cruises booked for next year.

I will call and see if I can at least get the $100 applied to the price of the cruise. If not, that is a terrible turn of events.

Well, that will kill off the booking onboard program for any shareholders.

Why would someone tie up a non-refundable deposit to get $100 OBC (for a cruise that costs 2,500 - 3,999) when I can get $200 - 250 for the cruises I typically book?

What really ticks me off is I booked 2 Celebrity Passages last month and now it appears I will get absolutely nothing for them since I have my cruises booked for next year.

I will call and see if I can at least get the $100 applied to the price of the cruise. If not, that is a terrible turn of events.

Bob, please post what you find out. We are in the same situation with a cruise booked for next April. Already received our email a couple months ago (before this new policy was in place) stating we have had stockholder credit applied, but according to this new directive, we will lose our $100 OBC from the new bookings program that we paid for last November. We booked through an online TA because of included airfare for a transatlantic so I need to hear if anyone has been successful getting that $100, at least applied to the cruise cost. It was a real hassle just getting the original deposit applied as we changed TA'a from when we bought the credits so this does not look too positive for us.

As the RCL people tightens the "screw" on a good deal for investors!

Wondering if you have already booked a cruise with CEL/RCL and the cruise rate included gratuities paid thru an on line travel agency can we still use our investor credit (obc) ? The $250 obc for a 14 niter cruise helps.

If any other CC finds the answers - please share.

Thanks in advance.

Bruton Branch

From the way I understand as long as you have a confirmed booking and have applied for the credit before Oct 15th you can do both, if anyone finds out differently please post and let us know.

Pam

I sure hope you are correct, Pam!

As the RCL people tightens the "screw" on a good deal for investors!

Wondering if you have already booked a cruise with CEL/RCL and the cruise rate included gratuities paid thru an on line travel agency can we still use our investor credit (obc) ? The $250 obc for a 14 niter cruise helps.

If any other CC finds the answers - please share.

Thanks in advance.

Bruton Branch

I use an on line discount agency who gives onboard credits. The website says "only one credit".

This might be an effort to stop agencies who discount cruises by giving the onboard credits.

Well, there is one agent who gives you 5% cash back at the end of your cruise if you own 500 shares of their stock(currrently trading at about $.60).

It means "new" cruises that are BOOKED on 15th Oct or after that date that apply to the new rules. If you have your OBC applied now its O.K.

Capt club/C&A vouchers can not be combined, but Plat/Dia Balcony disc can.

Booking on ship and getting the OBC then, can not be combined with the share OBC.

Has to you guys across the pond on your TA OBC I dont know on that, as in the U.K. our deposits are non refundable so the TA is allowed to discount the cruisefare which is part of there commission.

I have just purchased shares as an investment in the cruise lines, the OBC to me is just an added bonus/perk.

RICH.

Well, hearing this is a big disappointment. One of the reasons we bought RCCL stock was for the OBC shareholder credit, and we always book onboard and get the OBC for that. Now booking in advance and losing the float on the money for a year or more seems like a silly thing to do if there is no benefit to it. I think this is a very poor decision for them, it may change the way people book with them. Oh well, such is life, and there are other cruise lines!

I talked to a Captain's Club representative. I know that you can call 4 people and get 3 answers, but here is what she told me and my interpretation of the other issues raised here.

If you have a cruise already booked and deposited (paying the difference between the $100 and the applicable deposit) or book and pay the full deposit before October 15th, you are OK. The $100 will be applied to the fare just as any deposit would be AND you will get the appropriate (although pretty stingy IMO) OBC.

If you have a Passages Certificate (like I do) and don't book a cruise before Oct 15th, you can still apply the $100 to the cruise fare (it is, after all, a deposit), BUT, you have to choose which OBC you want - shareholder or Passages.

Anything a TA gives you has no bearing on this. The restrictions apply only to credits provided by X or RCL.

Is this gospel? I have no idea. But given the language of the form online and what I was told, it makes sense. I'm not sure the loss of goodwill compensates for the cost savings, but I am sure this came from an accountant, not a marketing person and it will save them money. One thing for sure, I will no longer give them any money in advance of actually booking my cruise so there is a definite loss there since they won't have several hundred dollars to use to earn interest.

I dread the day that they start treating US customers (or actually mistreating them) like they do in the UK and make all deposits non-refundable. That's the day I look at other options or wait for last-minute panic-deals when they can't fill up a ship in advance.

Is this gospel? I have no idea. But given the language of the form online and what I was told, it makes sense. I'm not sure the loss of goodwill compensates for the cost savings, but I am sure this came from an accountant, not a marketing person and it will save them money. One thing for sure, I will no longer give them any money in advance of actually booking my cruise so there is a definite loss there since they won't have several hundred dollars to use to earn interest.

Bob278,

The accountant is typically the messenger. he presents the numbers to management, and they make the decision where to cut or add.

Thanks Bob for posting what you found out about this new edict concerning combining OBC's.

I am a bit slow and just trying to really understand what you have been told by the Captain's Club representative and how to interpret it.

We paid $200. on a cruise last November (future cruise credit) and booked our cruise this past May for April 2009 and the $200. was applied as part of the deposit. (We actually paid much more for our deposit because there was a screw up in transfering the cruise credit, but that is another story). We received our first stockholder benefit on that Mercury cruise last year, and we were able to combine it with another credit offered by the cruiseline. So, we booked our cruise this past May believing the rules were the same. As soon as we booked this upcoming one back, this past May, we sent our proof of stock ownership fax to Ms. Buchanan to which she replied saying that the OBC for stock holder's has been applied to our reservation number.

Are you interpreting these new rules to mean that we will need to pay our cruise off completely by October 15 in order to receive the promised $100. OBC as part of our final payment or else we will forfeit it because we also have a stock holder OBC, or are we just going to have to forfeit that $100. OBC completely because we are getting the stock holder benefit applied - period? :confused:

From the way I understand as long as you have a confirmed booking and have applied for the credit before Oct 15th you can do both, if anyone finds out differently please post and let us know.

Pam

I guess I better get my email over. I have a few bookings that I didn't submit yet.

I usually book directly with Celebrity or RCCL and then transfer to my T/A of choice. As the OBC incentive shows up as a gift card after I board, I can't imagine how that can be impacted. However, I now will have no incentive to let them sit with my $900 for a length of time.

Thanks Bob for posting what you found out about this new edict concerning combining OBC's.

I am a bit slow and just trying to really understand what you have been told by the Captain's Club representative and how to interpret it.

We paid $200. on a cruise last November (future cruise credit) and booked our cruise this past May for April 2009 and the $200. was applied as part of the deposit. (We actually paid much more for our deposit because there was a screw up in transfering the cruise credit, but that is another story). We received our first stockholder benefit on that Mercury cruise last year, and we were able to combine it with another credit offered by the cruiseline. So, we booked our cruise this past May believing the rules were the same. As soon as we booked this upcoming one back, this past May, we sent our proof of stock ownership fax to Ms. Buchanan to which she replied saying that the OBC for stock holder's has been applied to our reservation number.

Are you interpreting these new rules to mean that we will need to pay our cruise off completely by October 15 in order to receive the promised $100. OBC as part of our final payment or else we will forfeit it because we also have a stock holder OBC, or are we just going to have to forfeit that $100. OBC completely because we are getting the stock holder benefit applied - period? :confused:

No as long as you have booked and put your deposit down before Oct 15th you should be safe. This is how I understand it. Anyone who books a cruise onboard on Oct 15th or after will have to make a choice between OBC or shareholders credit.

Pam

lambs2, I agree with Pam. I don't think you have to have made final payment. As long as the full deposit has been made, the cruise is booked. Of course, you need to remember that I don't work for RCL and my opinions aren't worth much.

Carole, I don't think when you apply for the credit is critical as long as the booking date is before October 15th. But don't forget the caveat above about how little my opinions are worth. But if I didn't already have my e-mail confirmation for the 3 cruises I have booked, I would get it next week, just to be safe.

kt88, I didn't mean to imply that accountants are bad people. I was just pointing out that this was an idea that had to originate with someone who focuses only on the numbers and came up with an idea that management bought off on. But I would bet that the marketing folks either didn't get asked or were ignored. Or maybe management decided that the savings was worth it.

But let's face it, the "cost" of a dollar of OBC is not a dollar. It is spent on board and in many, many cases is a small part of what people spend on board. I wonder how many of the OBCs that are eliminated are more than offset by one customer who will choose another cruise line at least one time? My guess is that the cruise line probably figures the true cost of $100 OBC to be no more than $60. If one customer cruises on Carnival just one time, how much money will RCL have lost?

With all of the threads about how much people love a TA who saves them $50, I can only imagine how many of them will revolt over this.

I sent an email expressing my displeasure with this policy change to Investor Relations as well. Why would any of us who are stock holders ever purchase a future cruise credit while on board again if there is no added benefit? NCL gives you OBC to be used right on the cruise you are currently on. At least that is SOME return for a future cruise credit investment.