Hurricane in Cabo on Sat.!

irishtwins

Looks like a catagory 3 hurricane is supposed to hit Cabo San Lucas on Saturday. We are sailing out of San Diego tomorrow on the Elation and our ONLY port is Cabo on Sat. Carnival says we sail as planned right now. Should I believe that?:confused:

We are sailing out of San Diego tomorrow on the Elation and our ONLY port is Cabo on Sat. Carnival says we sail as planned right now. Should I believe that?

I don't think I would believe that you will be stopping at Cabo... but Carnival will definitely substitute another port, like Mazatlan, if they do.

Best of luck. :)

Here is a thread that was started this morning on this topic:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=856504

Looks like a catagory 3 hurricane is supposed to hit Cabo San Lucas on Saturday. We are sailing out of San Diego tomorrow on the Elation and our ONLY port is Cabo on Sat. Carnival says we sail as planned right now. Should I believe that?:confused:

Sorry, but current projections put landfall several hundred miles north of Cabo. Also, in all likelihood, it's strength will dissipate to a Cat II or less as it runs into slightly cooler waters.

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/ep200815.html

Whether or not you can go to Cabo will depend upon how fast Norbert approaches Magdalena Bay on it's current projected path. You may be able to squeek by. If not, then unfortunately you may get stuck with an Ensenada port call instead.

We sail Elation next Saturday (18 October) and so I am watching the 2 potential storms behind it currently down near the Yucatan coastline.

I don't think I would believe that you will be stopping at Cabo... but Carnival will definitely substitute another port, like Mazatlan, if they do.

Best of luck. :)

Here is a thread that was started this morning on this topic:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=856504

They won't be going to Mazatlan on a 4 day cruise...........sorry op doesn't look good:( But you just never know, it is only Wed.......

I read and copied this from a Carnival post:

October 8, 2008pixel.gifHurricane Norbert Threatens Mexican Riviera, Affects Itineraries203019W_sm.gif (5:07 p.m. EDT) -- Hurricane Norbert, the 13th named storm of the Eastern Pacific season, is headed toward the Baja Peninsula and has begun affecting Mexican Riviera cruise itineraries.

Carnival Cruise Lines slightly revised Carnival Pride's itinerary; the ship was slated to visit Mazatlan tomorrow and Cabo San Lucas Friday. Instead Pride will visit Cabo San Lucas tomorrow and spend a day at sea on Friday. To make up for missing Mazatlan, the ship will call in Ensenada on Saturday before returning to Long Beach.

Sapphire Princess and Norwegian Sun are also in the region, but at this time neither Princess nor NCL have reported any itinerary changes.

What started as a tropical depression last Friday gradually turned into a tropical storm and became a hurricane on Tuesday. Norbert is now a Category Three hurricane located about 460 miles south of the southernmost point of the Baja Peninsula and cruise port Cabo San Lucas, and is traveling to the northwest at about nine miles per hour. It is forecast to take a turn toward the northeast on Thursday. Wind speeds have increased to 125 m.p.h.

Hurricane Norbert is expected to remain a major hurricane for at least the next 48 hours and make landfall early Saturday morning.

We sail Elation next Saturday (18 October) and so I am watching the 2 potential storms behind it currently down near the Yucatan coastline.

When are these potential storms suppose to come towards the area? I know that they might not amount to anything but we are on the Pride November 2.

When are these potential storms suppose to come towards the area? I know that they might not amount to anything but we are on the Pride November 2.

One of the 2 additional storms has already broken up. The other one now called Tropical Storm Odile could start becoming a factor for Puerto Vallarta bound ships around Tuesday of next week. Doesn't appear from any forecasts that it will make landfall in PV unless it changes direction. Could be an issue for Cabo by Thursday of next week but that's a big COULD. Just may stir up the ocean a bit.

Archived