My dressy dresses -- are these okay?

Purple Tessa

I bought two dressy dresses for my November cruise on Carnival Spirit -- got both for around $100 each (good prices given that both started close to $400, still a lot for me though). What do you think? I'm 48, are these too young?

This is the more formal BCBG gown (purchased at Marshall's for $99):

http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main/productdetail.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524446131735&siteID=WUqD6wTpSTg-2jJYkTrw0Lmjr5aSGI8G4Q

This is the short gold A.B.S. cocktail dress (ordered from Bluefly for $107):

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2962582?cm_cat=datafeed&cm_pla=dresses:women:dress&cm_ite=abs_by_allen_schwartz_rosette_trapeze_dress:212201&cm_ven=bizrate&mr:referralID=ecf3ef48-9633-11dd-bfff-000423bb4e95

Those are lovely! I'm 52, so I understand angst about dressing "too young" :) I would personally wear the BCBG dress in a heartbeat, but wouldn't choose the gold ABS dress for myself. Having said that, though, I don't think it is "too young". (I may think the MODEL is too young, but not the dress :D)

Hair up for the long one- with really long earrings. Actually for both as the short one is a little less formal but if you wear hair up with gold jewellry and strappy gold sandals with high heels, it will look far more dressy. Hair up so much easier when crusing anyway- after a day in the sun, pool etc. Both lovely dresses.:)

I love the first one from ABS. Absolutely classy, sexy and gorgeous.

Honestly, the 2nd one is a bit young because of it's shapelessness and short length, almost looks like a nightgown. It's one of those things thats hard to tell because we can't see what you look like. If it really looks smashing on you, wear it. But if you have some friends with taste and style, I'd suggest that you model it for them and ask for honest opinions.

Honestly, I love the first one. It's absolutely beautiful and a great buy. The second one is also pretty, but not something I'd wear. These 49 y/o legs just wouldn't look good in it. If yours are great though, go for it.

Hi all,

thanks again for all the responses. I haven't actually received the short gold dress yet so will have to see how it actually looks on. I am 5'3" and 105 pounds, and as Diann (sp?) Carroll's new book is titled "The Legs Are the Last to Go" so I'm hoping it will be flattering, I'll give you the report when it comes! I love the long BCBG dress tho, found it at a Marshall's and it's actually a petite so I didn't even have to have it hemmed! Glad the folks here like it too. My latest bargain that I plan to wear with both dresses is a pair of strappy gold high heeled sandals that I found at the Nordstrom Rack yesterday for -- ta da -- $20!!!

Love this board -- thank you!

Tessa

• 2 weeks later...

The short gold dress came from Bluefly -- not flattering at all, so back it went. I am only 5'3" and obviously the modelwas much taller because the dress was way longer on me -- basically hit at the knee. But, I found another short, floaty dress, laundry by shelley segal, very mod that I love for $29 at Marshall's (a real bargain, original tag was over $300!) It's a blue with silver shimmer so I think I will be able to do the same pair of shoes with both dresses! Thanks for all the help.

Archived