Which South Pacific Islands have you been to??

Kiwi_cruiser

small ps- I should have been more clear, I'm not familiar with the P&O line, is it something that only sails out of Australia or something you can pick up while in the South Pacific islands? Ever see any Americans joining in?

Hi,

P&O Cruises operates out of Sydney (Pacific Dawn), Brisbane (Pacific Sun Aug-May) and Auckland (Pacific Sun, Jun-Aug).

There are numerous smaller operators in Fiji that operate cruises around the Fijian Islands based at Port Denarau, near Nadi in Fiji.

small ps- I should have been more clear, I'm not familiar with the P&O line, is it something that only sails out of Australia or something you can pick up while in the South Pacific islands?

Yep, P&O Australia, only sails out of Australia & New Zealand

Ever see any Americans joining in?

Yep

PS: Welcome to the P&O - Australia / NZ forum T-2 :D

HI

We hired a local who took us to Million Dollar Point. If you have been to Luganville you will know there is not much there but when i heard about million dollar point we had to go. My 18yr old son has a real love of war history and we heard Million Dollar Point got its name because at the end of WW11 the Americans pushed everything into the ocean rather than ship it back home. This was my first time snorkelling and it was fantastic. You are snorkelling and their was tanks, a jeep, bit and pieces everywhere with coral growing over it. It was all very close to the shore, my son took a few little mementos back that day.:)

Hi,

P&O Cruises operates out of Sydney (Pacific Dawn), Brisbane (Pacific Sun Aug-May) and Auckland (Pacific Sun, Jun-Aug).

There are numerous smaller operators in Fiji that operate cruises around the Fijian Islands based at Port Denarau, near Nadi in Fiji.

In addition to those above, Sun & Dawn Princess are based in Oz all year round, and do a few cruises into these New Caledonian, Loyalty, Vanuatu, Fijian islands each year. Royal Caribbean Rhapsody ot Seas also does a couple of these from Sydney each southern summer too.

Our list is currently limited to:

Noumea, Champagne Bay, Wala, Vila, Lifou, Isle of Pines. Found a lot to like about each of them, bar one - which we still found a bit to like.

Will be adding Tasmania in January, if the Apple Isle counts. ;)

Now I can't wait to find a cruise, I'd been looking at land vacations to Fiji (which given the distance from the US are staggering in price) but with so many islands to choose from- just couldn't seem to settle on one. This is a much better option. I'll still have the air but multiple stops so don't have to settle for one spot. We've snorkled in Bali as there is a wreck off the shore about 3 hours drive from Ubud and it was incredible. Also a stretch of beach just 5 min. below that wreck had mind-blowing snorkeling, both just right out from shore. No need to go out in a snorkel boat with a huge crowd and a time limit. We've snorkeled in Ambergris Caye (off Belize), Galapagos, Kona, Raitai (sp?- part of Tahiatian Islands), etc, - all fantastic, just can't seem to ever tire of it. Thanks for letting me lurk into your thread- I'm enjoying your insights more than you'll ever know.

Great thread!

I have been to the Tahitian and Hawaiian Islands and I was fortunate this year to cruise from New Zealand to Japan and stopped at:

Noumea, New Caledonia

Guadalcanal

Rabaul, PNG

Yap Island

Guam

Saipan

I love the South Pacific but unfortunately it is a long flight to get there.

We are cruising next month to Isle of Pine, Vila and Luganville. Does anyone have any suggestions on the “must see” and “must do” while we are in port?

Thanks,

Sue

HI

We hired a local who took us to Million Dollar Point. If you have been to Luganville you will know there is not much there but when i heard about million dollar point we had to go. My 18yr old son has a real love of war history and we heard Million Dollar Point got its name because at the end of WW11 the Americans pushed everything into the ocean rather than ship it back home. This was my first time snorkelling and it was fantastic. You are snorkelling and their was tanks, a jeep, bit and pieces everywhere with coral growing over it. It was all very close to the shore, my son took a few little mementos back that day.:)

Sounds really interesting, do you have any photos? I presume there were lots of fish. Will you be going there again in March?

Noumea x 4

Luganville

Wala x 2

Vila x 4

Mystery Island x 4

Suva x 2

Lautoka

Dravuni Island (Didn't get to go off too rough :()

Isle of Pines

Savu Savu

Vavau

Nukualofa

Apia

Pago Pago

Poum/Divine Island/Emerald Bay

I tell ya, experiencing the South Pacific spoils you for anywhere else in the World. Not only are the Islands beautiful, but the People are so warm and friendly. And the snorkeling and diving.....nowhere else even comes close.

We've been to the Caribbean a few times (just because it's close to home) and we are always so disappointed. I'd rather fly 12 hours to the South Pacific than 5 hours to the Caribbean anyday. We've been to:

Tahiti x 2

Moorea x 2

Bora Bora x 2

Huahine

Raiatea

Rarotonga x 2

Aitutaki

Atiu

Viti Levu (Fiji)

Plantation Island

Castaway Island

Yasawa Island

Nanuya Lailai

Tivua Island

And Hawaii (not really the South Pacific.....in so many ways)

Oahu

Kauai

Maui

Molokai

Hawaii

New Zealand - North Island (loved it)

Leaving Nov 18th for: Maui, Oahu, Vanuatu, Isle of Pines, Luganville, Noumea, Hamilton Island, Whitsundays

Can't wait.

Sandra

HI

We are going to Luganville in May and have heard that that it is isn't a great lot to do there. After reading what you said I have now written Million Dollar Point down as a place to research. Thanks for your info. :) :)

HI

There isn't much at all to do in Luganville. It seems to be a very poor area. A few stall holders line a street where you come off the ship but nothing like Vila markets. P&0 did have Million Dolllar Point as a tour but it filled up fast and my son really would have killed me if i had missed taking him to see it. It's not far from the ship and it didn't cost us much to get there a lot cheaper then doing the ships tour. We did decide after we got back to the ship to walk into the town but we found one shop and it was more like a corner shop that had everything.

HI

There isn't much at all to do in Luganville. It seems to be a very poor area. A few stall holders line a street where you come off the ship but nothing like Vila markets. P&0 did have Million Dolllar Point as a tour but it filled up fast and my son really would have killed me if i had missed taking him to see it. It's not far from the ship and it didn't cost us much to get there a lot cheaper then doing the ships tour. We did decide after we got back to the ship to walk into the town but we found one shop and it was more like a corner shop that had everything.

Once again thanks for your information...it will come in very handy.

!!:)

Sounds really interesting, do you have any photos? I presume there were lots of fish. Will you be going there again in March?

Jen, are you confused here or am I??:confused: You are going to Luganville in Oct, not March:confused:

I have been to

Noumea x 2

Mystery Island (once plus missed once)

Vila x 3

Champagne Bay

Honiara

Samarai Island

Cairns

Whitsundays

Wala

Pentecost

Lifou

Dravuni Island

Suva

Yasawa-I-Rara

Isle of Pines

T-2, you have been to Galapagos?? I really envy you:)

Archived