I'm so upset!!

Hello, I just got back from a great cruise on Liberty of the Seas on Satuday 10/18. DH and I brought 3 disposable cameras with us and took awesome pictures of our trip. (Left the digital camera at home because we didn't want that much responsiblity).

Well, On Sunday I brought all 3 cameras to a local CVS to get the film developed. The lady told me come back in an hour and a half because it would take longer to develop all 3. No problem. (Although it was the longest hour and a half because I was anxious to see the pics!) Anyway, when I went to pick them up, the lady at the counter told me when she put all 3 cameras in for developing, the machine started smoking and exposed all 3 rolls of film to light and all 3 were ruined! Now I know NOTHING about film developing. The lady was apologetic and gave a me $25 CVS gift card and 3 new disposable cameras. I caused a bit of a scene in the store and said that was unacceptable because these pics were from a cruise and these are memories I cannot replace. I proceeded to take the exposed film to Cord Camera and they tried to develop it but with no luck. I'm sick to my stomach over this.

Does anyone have any ideas or help or am I doomed to only have faded memories in my mind??? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

P.S. On the ship I also purchased the photo album with the scrapbooking kit for $55 because it's a hobby of mine, and went to Walmart while I waited for the film to be processed and spent $64 more on scrapbooking items!!

That is just horrible and I am so sorry that happend :(

Maybe someone who was on your cruise can share their pics with you? I know they won't be YOUR pictures, but they are something to remind of you your cruise......

That is just horrible and I am so sorry that happend :(

Maybe someone who was on your cruise can share their pics with you? I know they won't be YOUR pictures, but they are something to remind of you your cruise......

Hey Robyn I guess great minds think alike!!!LOL

Maybe you can watch webshots or just ask others for pics of that cruise. They won't be your personal people pics but they should have nice pics of the ship and islands like we all do. At least you would have some to remember the trip.

My suggestion for next time is to take the digital. Some are not that expensive and you can have them downloaded to a disk by the photogs so you have double protection for your pics.

Sorry for your loss...I love my pics and would be crushed as well.

Sorry to hear about your loss...that would be disappointing.

For me I go digital as much as possible because of damaged pictures in processing...in my case film taken underwater a far trip from home...so not like I could easily get new pictures again. I even moved to digital for underwater shots as well...biggest mess once I made that switch was to run the batter out too quickly...

As was suggested go to the Roll Call and see what others will share...this is a good group so likely someone will share some of the generic pictures of the ships and ports with you.

Does anyone have any ideas or help or am I doomed to only have faded memories in my mind??? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
What a total bummer OP, your are unfortunately going to have to resort to visualizing the faded memories in your mind and the heartfelt desire to take your digital camera and the purported responsibility that entails with you next time you sail. Rancher Dave has a good idea though, hopefully someone on your cruise will share theirs with you.

Oh my! How sad to lose all of your valuable pictures. Did you join a roll call and meet some of the folks on your cruise? Maybe go to the roll call, (if you haven't already) and ask over there if someone could share some of their pictures with you.

I'm an avid scrapbooker too, and cherish my pictures. I just know that someone will be able to help you! Which cruise were you on....date, ship??

Just from personal experience, buying a small, good digital camera is so much better for you than taking those throw away cameras that still use film. (I know, little late for this advice.) You'll be glad you invested in one and can use it on your NEXT cruise! :D

Maybe somebody purchased the cruise video. Maybe they can provide a copy or sell it to you (with permission from RCCL). Just a thought.

Sorry that you lost your pictures. Sounds familiar. My computer crashed a few years back just after I downloaded my digital pictures from our European trip. I lost all of my pictures. It was a once in a lifetime trip. I feel your pain.

Good luck trying to recapture your trip....

Colleen

.....Does anyone have any ideas or help or am I doomed to only have faded memories in my mind??? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

What a horrible result. I know nobody can replace your photos but maybe you can check your CC roll call to contact anyone there that could send you a CD.

My suggestion is take the digital next time. The nice thing is you can see how they are coming out as you are taking them. If worried about an expensive digital, then get a cheap one. Five or six of those disposables probably would cost as much as a real cheap digital. ;) Plus the quality is better.

I always take lots of pics (average about 250 a day). I also take a cheap laptop (I call it my "Traveler") so I can backup my files and also see how they are coming out.

.....P.S. On the ship I also purchased the photo album with the scrapbooking kit for $55 because it's a hobby of mine, and went to Walmart while I waited for the film to be processed and spent $64 more on scrapbooking items!!

At least you have material for your next cruise (if you cannot get someone to send you that CD).

Yikes! That's a nightmare. Sorry to hear that happened to you.

We took disposable cameras on our first cruise, but only for underwater use. The rest were shot on an older digital. Since then we upgraded to a better digital and got a waterproof case for it.

The camera we use now is a Fuji A500. You can find it (or something very similar) for about $100. At least if something happens to that camera it's not like losing a $500+ camera. It takes very good pictures too, far better than a disposable.

At least going that route, you can avoid ever having this event happen again. Never mind the money you'll save on developing! :)

That's terrible! BUT--if the cruise was truly memorable, you won't need pictures to recall it! Those memories will pop into your mind all the time!

I know you wanted your keepsakes, but your good times still count, even without pictures of it!

And, lesson learned--why HAVE nice cameras if you aren't going to use them?

I think your compensation was not adaquite from CVS. They owe you more than $25.00.:( Maybe a new cruise. I know, not likly.:rolleyes:

I too scrapbook. Hope you can get great pictures from others on your cruise. Another good way to get good ship photos for scrapbooking are post cards. Did you buy any on the ship?

Lvs2cruise2, I can honestly say I feel your pain. I had that happen several years ago on the last cruise my hubby and I took together. (This was before digital) I had taken the film to Walgreens.

Checking with the Roll Call is a great idea about some photos. And while this may not be an ideal solution, you could contact the photo folks and see if there are any videos left from your cruise. Or see if someone from your RC could make a copy of that for you.

Hello, I just got back from a great cruise on Liberty of the Seas on Satuday 10/18. DH and I brought 3 disposable cameras with us and took awesome pictures of our trip. (Left the digital camera at home because we didn't want that much responsiblity).

Well, On Sunday I brought all 3 cameras to a local CVS to get the film developed. The lady told me come back in an hour and a half because it would take longer to develop all 3. No problem. (Although it was the longest hour and a half because I was anxious to see the pics!) Anyway, when I went to pick them up, the lady at the counter told me when she put all 3 cameras in for developing, the machine started smoking and exposed all 3 rolls of film to light and all 3 were ruined! Now I know NOTHING about film developing. The lady was apologetic and gave a me $25 CVS gift card and 3 new disposable cameras. I caused a bit of a scene in the store and said that was unacceptable because these pics were from a cruise and these are memories I cannot replace. I proceeded to take the exposed film to Cord Camera and they tried to develop it but with no luck. I'm sick to my stomach over this.

P.S. On the ship I also purchased the photo album with the scrapbooking kit for $55 because it's a hobby of mine, and went to Walmart while I waited for the film to be processed and spent $64 more on scrapbooking items!!

I think the best remedy for this situation is to book another cruise ASAP and sail as quickly as possible!

I had a similar thing happen to me. My DW didn't want me to take the digital camera to CocoCay. Long and short, didn't have pics from Cococay, and from now on we take the digital camera everywhere.

Most film developing placed around me have High school kids working there. I don't trust them. We do our own developing at the in store kiosk or through snapfish.

Again, sorry about your loss.:(

I saved this review from Cruise Critic. Perhaps you could pull some of the photos off of it? http://www.jenscruisereviews.com/Liberty_Review_final1.pdf

Also another cruise critic person, Radio, did an extensive review on the Liberty with some fantastic photos that you could download. Search the threads for it.

Good luck!

I'm so sorry that you lost your photos :( I too would be devastated. I had an underwater camera on two of my cruises this year and recently had them developed only to find out that the photo quality was terrible and a lot of the photos were blurred. These were photos from some of our most memorable shore excursions in the Cayman's (stingrays) and St. Lucia. Next time we're thinking of buying an underwater digital camera, so we can avoid having to use an underwater film camera.

I was on the Liberty in August (western itin.) and I would gladly send you some of my photos of the ship and the islands etc. I know it's not the same, but at least you would have something to remember you cruise by. Please let me know if you are interested.

My email is janine dot king the number one at gmail dot com

In the meantime, hopefully you can book another cruise which will give you something to look forward to--and another chance to make wonderful cruise memories! :)

A digital camera is not a 100% guarantee that you won't lose pictures. My Hubby accidentally deleted all our wonderful photos from an eight-night cruise on Radiance of the Seas. I know the frustration you feel over the loss of your photos.

I totally agree with the poster above who said the very best remedy for your unfortunate disaster is to quickly book another cruise.

Archived