One person in cabin

since1982

Father in law is thinking of joining us on our first cruise on Zuiderdam.

How much does HAL charge a single cruiser vs double occupancy in cabin?

Is it worth getting two balcony cabins (~$700pp) or sharing a SS Suite (~$900+900+500)?

We love our privacy.

Thanks

Father in law is thinking of joining us on our first cruise on Zuiderdam.

How much does HAL charge a single cruiser vs double occupancy in cabin?

Is it worth getting two balcony cabins (~$700pp) or sharing a SS Suite (~$900+900+500)?

We love our privacy.

Thanks

If you love your privacy, it is my humble opinion that you need 2 balcony cabins rather than the SS suite. You could get two cabins next door to one another and have the steward open the small balcony door between the two. However, it will cost you more because the single will cost whatever a double costs less the port charges.

Dee

I sail with a group, but prefer my own space and get a cabin to myself. HAL has one of the better single supplements vs. some of the other lines. I believe its 1 1/2 times the rate, vs. double on other lines. To me, its worth it.

Single supplement for the lesser cabins is 50% additional fare, but can rise to as much as 100% additional in the penthouse. Yikes!

There is also the guaranteed share possibility. I believe one balcony category is available this way. FIL may not be near you, though.

You all might be happier with privacy---and two bathrooms. Have you considered a nearby inside for FIL, and he can relax with you on your balcony?

Thank you all for the information and your input on this matter. I have considered an inside for FIL but the price differents is not much. We be better off with two balconies.

If there is not much $$$ difference between two balcony cabins and an one SS I will rather have two cabins.

I already have SS6117 booked, I just thought of this possibility today, wish my TA would have thought of it first.

"However, it will cost you more because the single will cost whatever a double costs less the port charges. "

The above note was for an S suite. I didn't realize the double supplement was less for a smaller cabin. Thanks, Ruth, for that info! That's good to know.

Dee

On the W'Dam over Christmas the cost for a VC cabin for a single person was the same as two passengers sharing - one of the disadvantages of travelling in high season. As we are travelling with our 16 year old daughter we looked into the cost of a suite, but it was actually less expensive to book two VC cabins. The size of the two cabins combined seems to be about the same size as the suite, and you have the plus of two bathrooms. There are some conflicting opinions on this board as to whether the verandas can be opened up to allow passage between the two cabins.

As my daughter has had to share an inside cabin with her brother on past cruises, needless to say she is in her glory that she will have her own cabin with a veranda this time at sea.

I think that the privacy issue would lead me to book two cabins.

During our recent Zuiderdam cruise, I carefully looked at the balcony doors. I saw on the top of our "S" veranda door there is a mechanism in place that allows the steward to open the door and hook it open by use of that piece of hardware. We had no occassion to open our door so we did not test it, but I looked at it and made a mental note to say that IMO it makes it easier to leave the door open on Vista ships than on the other HAL ships. On the other ships, the door swings back and forth and bangs if it is left open when the ship is movng.

There are some conflicting opinions on this board as to whether the verandas can be opened up to allow passage between the two cabins.

On our crusie last week PLENTY of people had the door in the divider between two verandah's opened up. All (to my knowledge) of them open up so the deck crew can get in there to hose the decks down at the end of each voyage, so they don't have to go in and out of every room with dirty/wet feet (which they were doing as we were heading out for home on Saturday).

There are some conflicting opinions on this board as to whether the verandas can be opened up to allow passage between the two cabins.

On our crusie last week PLENTY of people had the door in the divider between two verandah's opened up. All (to my knowledge) of them open up so the deck crew can get in there to hose the decks down at the end of each voyage, so they don't have to go in and out of every room with dirty/wet feet (which they were doing as we were heading out for home on Saturday).

what a lucky 16 year old getting a balcony room all to herself!

if money is an issue try to get her an inside room directly across from your room. you'd still have plenty of room for storage, etc, and that extra bathroom, without the frills of a balcony.

Was not my intention to divert the thread to the issue of the balcony opening. I had asked some time ago, and it seemed to depend on the ship, with the biggest problem on some ships being that they could not be fastened open so they tended to bang at night. If they can be opened to create a passage - great, if not, oh well!

On previous cruises we booked a suite with the two kids in an inside across the hall - but thanks for the suggestion. That's another reason she is so excited to have a balcony - normally she doesn't even have a window! This time the pricing made more sense to skip the suite and book the two cabins.

Just my two cents (I didn't read whole thread).

It makes sence to book SS suite + 1 inside. (on Upper Verandah deck 6 or (higher?)) Inside rooms there are VERY specious. I think around 190 sq ft and very nice. Three of us shared the same room and had nough room.

Archived