Live From The JEWELL Of The SEAS

Trainman,

I am enjoying your posts so much.

We will be on this cruise in April and after reading your posts I am even more excited!

Thanks for the hint on the coffee mug with lid and the bathroom and helo pad instructions!

I do have a question-

1. Miami- where there any stores within walking distance of the Hilton to buy a 6 pk of Pepsi? Would you recommend this hotel or should we think about one of the other Hilton family hotels in Miami?

2. Are they still serving appetizers in the lounge late at night?

Waiting to hear more about your trip. Great live review!

If your are a non-smoker the Hilton is great! It was an excellent hotel, good food, and a friendly staff. But it is all non-smoking.

I didn't see any stores that might have pepsi within walking distance.

One option - The Port Office building across from the eastern RCI Terminal had a small store and they sold Pepsi. By eastern terminal, there are two. The eastern one is across the street from the Port Office building and the western across from the parking garage.

Snacks are in the Solarium Cafe 10:00 pm - 1:00 am and in various lounges from 11:30 pm -12:30 am

Thanks so much for the reports. It is getting us very excited for our upcoming cruise on the Jewel. Question-You said that people on board said the it was dangerous in Cartagena. Did you feel unsafe at anytime during your taxi ride? Did a lot of people take private taxis/tours? We haven't decided what to do since it is such a short stop over.

Thank for any information you can give use.

Most of the tours had a security guy on the bus according to many people we talked with. All of them felt safe.

We left my wallet and Carol's rings on the ship and I only carried a small amount of cash and our ID.

The taxi tour went well and we never felt unsafe. The driver locked all of the doors.

We also stayed in the main public areas and on main routes.

Friday, Day 8, At Sea

Today will be a relaxing Sea Day. Both Carol and I plan to visit the main pool and the Solarium pool. I also need to do some running around to get answers to a few questions some of you have posted.

More later...

Another Panama Canal TidBit...

They use a row boat to carry the wires from the Locomotive Mules to the ship. they have tried just about every kind of power boar but sooner or later it will brake down or the engine will not start when needed. The row boat may be old technology but it works and is dependable.

DSCN8015.jpg

More Panama Canal TidBits...

Here are three photos from out approach to the upper lock heading back to the Caribbean Sea which contain two tidbits...

DSCN8028.jpg

DSCN8031.jpg

DSCN8032.jpg

Keep in mind that when the Canal was built it was by Military Engineers so the defense of the Canal was a big issue.

TidBit #1. The entrances to the first locks from the lake and from the sea all have two gates. There was concern that an enemy submarine could torpedo the gates and render the canal useless. Also at that time there was concern about a ship entering too fast and not being able to stop before ramming the gates.

TidBit #2. You can see a slight bend in the channel approaching the gates. Since the canal was built the approach channel has been widened and much of the bend removed. The purpose of the bend was to prevent submarines from firing torpedoes at the gates from a long distance.

Random Photos...

As we were transiting the Canal a number of Panamanians boarded the ship. There were a number of young couples as seen below in "Native Panamanian Dress" and they set up a sales area of Panamanian Crafts on the Pool Deck. We had planned to visit the sales area but they took it down just as the transit was completed and we were denied to opportunity to spend our money.

DSCN7903.jpg

At the head of the pier in Cartagena they had a small troupe of Native Dancers with a small Band of Drummers. Unfortunately, we missed the Native Girls dancing.

DSCN7836-1.jpg

DSCN7837.jpg

Glad that everyone is ok from their terrible ordeal on their tour Trainman. I hope the police catches the nut.

I agree that is out of RCI's control though.

In regards to the me and tuxes on the formal nights. My DB wore a nice 2 piece suit for both of our formal nights that we had on AOS. He took 2 different shirts and ties to give him 2 different outfits. This was what most of the men did on our cruise. Maybe about 10% of the men wore tuxes. There certainly wasn't many.

In my previous post I wrote that I had rented a tux with RCI. I've since then thought about it and will cancel my rental and bring along a suit. As you mentioned here, changing shirts and ties makes for 2 different outfits. And I can always wear the jacket on top of dockers for the smart casual. Maybe Trainman can post a pic of the pax on formal night.

BTW Trainman I cannot begin to say how much I've enjoyed this thread with your comments and simply beautiful pictures. It makes me all the more excited about our next cruise whcih is just around the corner. In my part of North America, I say "un gros merci" (a big thank-you)!!:D

Secret Photos

Many of you are denied the opportunity to observe this phenomena but this is self inflected. It is not something you can complain to RCI about!

The Early Birds See The Sunrise!

Ha ha ha. . It looks like I'm not the only one who loves to get up early !

What a great thread !

Keep up the great work, and great pics !

Thanks Trainman-2 ;)

Radio < < < < < a Trainman-2 Fan !

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Trainmain-2, first: a WONDERFUL thread. Many, many thanks!!!!! I'm going to be on the Jewel in a few days. Looking at your posts is certainly whetting my appetite. And I agree, it is one of the best threads I've read in a long time.

And I know you're running around trying to answer everyone's questions, but I'd like to know, please, if you can tell me if the time zones are different for each place you've stopped? Or are they all Miami time (eastern)? If the time zones are different, how does the ship handle that?

Again, many many thanks for your posts!

Back again to share how much I enjoy your post and pictures, on behalf of all of us whom will be sailing soon (some sooner than others) I ask that you don't feel shafted if we borrow your style of up to the day cruise reporting, maybe more honored. We pretty much all have read other great threads where the cruiser provided daily entries, but your combination of information, experience and photos has raised the bar in doing so.

With that said all I have left is

emoticon_notworthy.gif

Trainmain-2, first: a WONDERFUL thread. Many, many thanks!!!!! I'm going to be on the Jewel in a few days. Looking at your posts is certainly whetting my appetite. And I agree, it is one of the best threads I've read in a long time.

And I know you're running around trying to answer everyone's questions, but I'd like to know, please, if you can tell me if the time zones are different for each place you've stopped? Or are they all Miami time (eastern)? If the time zones are different, how does the ship handle that?

Again, many many thanks for your posts!

This is an easy answer...

It seems like we are constantly changing time zones at night on the ship as we move from port to port. The ship gives us written reminders and makes announcements.

but...

The Real Secret is that the telephones in the cabins have a time display and they are always correct.

I've enjoyed reading your posts and looking at your wonderful pictures.

I am going to be on the Jewel in January going to the same ports. I've been having trouble deciding which excursions to do in Colombia and Costa Rica. I'm definitely going to do an excursion through the ship in these ports. I have a couple in mind and was wondering if you had heard anything from fellow cruisers about these excursions.

In Costa Rica we were thinking of the Caribbean Train, Boat and Bus Adventure, or the Tortuguero Canals. My daughter was thinking of the Eco Caribbean Paradise.

In Columbia we were thinking of the Deluxe Cartagena & Fortress, Best of Cartagena or the City Drive & Inquistion Palace.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Secret Photos

Many of you are denied the opportunity to observe this phenomena but this is self inflected. It is not something you can complain to RCI about!

The Early Birds See The Sunrise!

DSCN8129.jpg

DSCN8134.jpg

DSCN8135.jpg

DSCN8136.jpg

DSCN8137.jpg

Keep it coming, this is getting better all the time. Sunrise pictures look great. Here’s a real challenge for you. Capture the “Green Flash” at sunset. :)

PS

Here’s railroading tidbit that maybe a bit of interest to you. My Great Grandfather was Casey Jones fireman.

Back again to share how much I enjoy your post and pictures, on behalf of all of us whom will be sailing soon (some sooner than others) I ask that you don't feel shafted if we borrow your style of up to the day cruise reporting, maybe more honored. We pretty much all have read other great threads where the cruiser provided daily entries, but your combination of information, experience and photos has raised the bar in doing so.

With that said all I have left is

emoticon_notworthy.gif

Thanks Dremac and to everyone else for the complements...

I happen to enjoy posting like this. I am supposed to stay out of the sunlight so it gives me something to do.

I have finally figured out the CyberCabin system on the ship. It takes a little over a minute to upload a photo to PhotoBucket so I am reading a book while I upload and as some say, multi-tasking.

I do not copyright my photos so feel free to use them for Christmas Cards, dart boards, or whatever.

I think that Radio really started this kind of thread and I really hope that more and more do them.

The Windjammer - Random Photos - Part 1

Yesterday I made arrangements to go into the Windjammer about 10 minutes before they opened for breakfast to take a bunch of photos without people wondering around.

When you really think of it, they do a fantastic job in the Windjammer, feeding hundreds of people, and keeping most of them happy.

I have tried just about everything and found a few things that I personally don't like but a whole bunch that I do.

Enjoy the photos...

DSCN8143.jpg

DSCN8145.jpg

DSCN8147.jpg

DSCN8148.jpg

DSCN8149.jpg

DSCN8150.jpg

Trainman - I am curious which cabin you are in. I think I saw earlier you were on Deck 7. We are in 7534 for our December Jewel XMAS Cruise. I have been wondering which part of the cruise will we see sunset and which part we will see sunrise.

Thanks for your pics and your time to keep posting!! I might be going out and getting a new camera. LOL

Regarding Tux. I am one that really enjoys the formal night and am renting a Tux for our cruise. I hope that with Xmas more people will want to be formal.

Scott

Archived