Live From The JEWELL Of The SEAS

View Hogs!

A number of people got up early on the day of the Panama Canal Transit and drug chairs from all over the ship up to the bow.

DSCN7885.jpg

There were three old guys who drug lounge chairs up and shoved them up against the glass wall so there was no room for anyone to stand in front of them. Then then fell asleep and slept through the whole thing! There were so many people crowded around them that I could not get a photo.

But the good news is that the majority of passengers were polite and we all took turns looking and taking pictures and switching places. Short people were automatically given priority to the front. If you wanted to take a photo, all you had to do was say "Excuse Me Please" and someone would step back or aside for you.

Overall, it was a lot of fun!

An "Interesting" Photo...

DSCN8167.jpg

I shot this photo of a poster for the "Anytime Dining" program that is on an easel just inside the Main Dining Room where people sign up and make reservations.

Note the guy on the right wearing either a sweat shirt or a long sleeve tee shirt.

I thought it was interesting that whatever it is, it is not a "dressy" shirt with a collar.

Trainman-2 I have learned a lot from your excellent live review with such great pictures, and couldn't wait each day to view your latest contribution. It's true that however old you are, you always learn something new! I found your review especially interesting, as we have never cruised in that area, and probably won't do so now due to DH not being to fly on long journeys due to health problems.Whenever possible we sail from the U.K.

The new thing that I learned today was that there is an open air dining area in the Windjammer. We have sailed on the Voyager and the Navigator, and did not realise that you could dine outside. That is something to look out for on the Independance next May. I wouldn't fancy eating outside in the weather that you are having today though. It's a shame that our dog wasn't there with you - the bacon and doughnut wouldn't have stayed under the table for long :D

Glad that you are in a good position on the ship for less pitching and rolling. After sailing through the Bay of Biscay a year ago on Deck 9 near the front of the ship which made the family seasick, we have chosen a cabin on Deck 8 next to the hump for our next cruise. Unfortunately the hump cabins had been booked.

I shall be suffering withdrawal symptoms next week without a daily fix of your cruise review :(, so please let us know when you next cruise so that we can look out for your posts.

Again many, many thanks, and hope that you and Carol have a safe journey home.

.......The new thing that I learned today was that there is an open air dining area in the Windjammer. We have sailed on the Voyager and the Navigator, and did not realise that you could dine outside. That is something to look out for on the Independance next May. .........

Sorry to disappoint you K9CATWOMAN but there's nowhere to eat outside on Independence other Johnny Rocket's which has bench seating but otherwise there's no where else set out for dining. I did see people take sandwiches to sit in the smoker's area outside on deck 11.

Trainman-loving your postings from the Jewel. Was on the Jewel for her Baltic and TA cruises this year. Will be sailing on her again in 3 weeks. One quick question for you-who is the CD and his/her cruise staff. I only ask because on my B2B we had a new CD and so many of us were bored for lack of activities. Was wondering if I should stock up on my reading material. Thanks in advance. Enjoy the rest of your cruise, safe travels home to you and your wife.

Lisa

Trainmann 2 - That is an "interesting" photograph of the poster outside the main dining room!

Norberts Niece- No wonder I didn't spot the outside dining area on the VOS and NOS!

Thanks for the info, that saves me asking the crew where it is on the Indy. :o

View Hogs!

There were three old guys who drug lounge chairs up and shoved them up against the glass wall so there was no room for anyone to stand in front of them. Then then fell asleep and slept through the whole thing! There were so many people crowded around them that I could not get a photo.

Too funny.....I wonder if they would have woke up if you moved their chairs!;)

Once again - great review and tips. Very helpful!

Trainmann 2 - That is an "interesting" photograph of the poster outside the main dining room!

Norberts Niece- No wonder I didn't spot the outside dining area on the VOS and NOS!

Thanks for the info, that saves me asking the crew where it is on the Indy. :o

The Radiance class ships have the Windjammer open to the outside from the aft portion. This makes it nice to have breakfast or lunch in the fresh air, but is not available on the bigger ships. I do miss it. I think I need to plan for 2010 on a Radiance class. :D

Jen

It Is Still Blustery Outside And The Ship Is Rolling

No Pool or Sun Bathing Action Today At All. Both pools are closed and it is too windy to walk around on deck 12.

DSCN8224.jpg

Carol said they are starting to put the "Barf Bags" out..

We are doing "OK" except that I have to hold Carol's Hand when she is away from a hand rail to keep her steady. The Windjammer was only half full at lunch today

We have a challenge for you... our friends have the next cruise and were wondering if you could get some info on the piano in the Royal Suite... what make/model is it and does it take CDs... they want to be able to have more music on it than RCI has loaded up on it.

Thanks!!

Oh, and they want to know where the blustery weather is at... :eek: they are now a bit worried! hehe

Thanks Trainman and Carol for your wonderful post's.. We are driving down to Miami tomorrow to board the Jewel for the 11 day Panama Canal cruise..We last cruised on Jewel in 2004 and enjoyed taking your cruise with you..We will be cruising along with DHaden and a few others that have had the pleasure of sharing your photos and cruise.. Safe travel home and will be looking for your next cruise adventure..

We have a challenge for you... our friends have the next cruise and were wondering if you could get some info on the piano in the Royal Suite... what make/model is it and does it take CDs... they want to be able to have more music on it than RCI has loaded up on it.

Thanks!!

Oh, and they want to know where the blustery weather is at... :eek: they are now a bit worried! hehe

I called Guest Relations and asked about the Piano and they are going to try and find out and call me back.

You want to know where the blustery weather is? It is right here!

For 10 days I have been ruining around in shorts and a tee shirt and I just had to put on my jacket to go out on the balcony for a (UGH POOH) cigarette!

The current air temperature is 70 F.

Relative wind speed if 45 mph from the port fore quarter.

That give us a wind chill factor of 25 F outside on the fore deck.

I would guesstimate 10 mph of wind on our balcony which is pretty sheltered so that would make the wind chill on our balcony about 60 F.

The Captain said during his noon report that we were at the bottom edge of a large cold front and at that time we were just passing the west end of Cuba.

I called Guest Relations and asked about the Piano and they are going to try and find out and call me back.

You want to know where the blustery weather is? It is right here!

For 10 days I have been ruining around in shorts and a tee shirt and I just had to put on my jacket to go out on the balcony for a (UGH POOH) cigarette!

The current air temperature is 70 F.

Relative wind speed if 45 mph from the port fore quarter.

That give us a wind chill factor of 25 F outside on the fore deck.

I would guesstimate 10 mph of wind on our balcony which is pretty sheltered so that would make the wind chill on our balcony about 60 F.

The Captain said during his noon report that we were at the bottom edge of a large cold front and at that time we were just passing the west end of Cuba.

Thanks TrainMan2! I guess it might be easy to make the assumption that the player piano in the Schooner Bar and the one in the Royal Suite are one of the same kiind and that if push came to shove they could upload some GOOD songs onto it from that database?

Sounds like you some wind gear! :eek: I just came in from winterizing the lawn here in the 'burbs of Chicago and believe it or not it is SNOWING! The sad part of that is that it is sticking to my Jeep! It made the fire pit and the last roasted marshmallows that much sweeter. So, enjoy the rest of your trip and the sunshine! :cool:

I'll look for your report back later!

Now I must turn my attention to the Cuba Libre I made in your honor! ;) mmmmm tasty!

Thanks again! :D

SoLong.jpgDSCN8225.jpg

It is time for me to shut down the shipboard postings.

I got a "friendly reminder" to turn in my CyberCabin connection cable so when I log off it will be for good from the ship.

This Coming Wednesday, Nov 19th, I will do a Wrap Up and post a bunch more photos and a few videos...

For Now, thanks to the Captain and crew for a wonderful cruise. We are going to schedule another cruise on the Jewell about this time next year.

Thanks Again for Cruising With Me!

Trainman-2

Thanks for letting us join you on your trip. We are leaving on the same cruise 11/28. Looking forward to it more then ever, thanks to all of your pictures and reviews. The best you and Carol, health, happiness and love. :)

Archived