Live From The JEWELL Of The SEAS

We sail 11/28 - interested to know if u did any tours that you would recommend - with or without ship??? We have not booked any so far. PLMK.

Thx - enjoying your daily commentaries and the pics.

We are also on this sailing. We have a few excursions booked, but the one that we found a lot of people recommended was whitewater rafting in Costa Rica. I am really enjoying Trainman's pics and postings. It is helping with the anxiety of getting through 2 more weeks.

We sail 11/28 - interested to know if u did any tours that you would recommend - with or without ship??? We have not booked any so far. PLMK.

We have not done any organized tours. There do seem to be a bunch of good ones in Puerto Limon.

Tours depend on personal taste. We tend to avoid crowds although it is sometimes hard to do.

Great Question as I would love to just bring a Dark suit and not have to fool around with my Tux (if it even fits). I don't want to be out of place on formal nights but I know that getting a tux for my three boys would not be something too exciting for me to do.

What does the onboard Tux rental cost? Does that include shoes or can you skip their shoes. I don't like wearing anybody elses shoes.

On the first formal night we only saw one man in a Tux. There were several in suits. Probably half of the men were in sport coats and most of the other half with no coat at all.

This was the most informal formal night we have ever seen!

Great to know as I don't mind dressing up but my 20, 18 and 13 year old might. I didn't want to look out of place.

On the first formal night we only saw one man in a Tux. There were several in suits. Probably half of the men were in sport coats and most of the other half with no coat at all.

This was the most informal formal night we have ever seen!

Trainman-2, I have been a member of Cruise Critic for 8 years. I must say in all that time your review has been the absolute best that I have read. You have me looking forward our cruise on 11/28.

We are also on this sailing. We have a few excursions booked, but the one that we found a lot of people recommended was whitewater rafting in Costa Rica. I am really enjoying Trainman's pics and postings. It is helping with the anxiety of getting through 2 more weeks.

As you know we are on the same sailing. I can’t speak about whitewater rafting in Costa Rica, but when we meet onboard ask me about our experience of whitewater rafting in Alaska, it’s CHILLING.

Great Question as I would love to just bring a Dark suit and not have to fool around with my Tux (if it even fits). I don't want to be out of place on formal nights but I know that getting a tux for my three boys would not be something too exciting for me to do.

What does the onboard Tux rental cost? Does that include shoes or can you skip their shoes. I don't like wearing anybody elses shoes.

I booked my tux through RCI and for a standard tux with 2 shirts, it will cost me $89. Although booked, I was assured that they always have standard sizes on hand. Now that I've read in Trainman's posts that there were very few tux's, I just might cancel and bring a suit instead. Add 2 shirts and ties and you have 2 different outfits. I have until the 24th to cancel with no penalty.

DS,

After reviewing my earlier response to you I feel I owe you a bit more.

Carol and I both have serious problems walking. Carol is still recovering from over a year of chemo-therapy and I am about to have both of my hip joints replaced. We are old and slow and we have had too many close calls with rude people in a hurry almost knocking Carol to the ground. I do my best to protect her but sometimes it is hard and especially in crowds.

When we were doing tours, we always did the RCI tours. RCI carefully vets its tour operators and puts a lot of time and effort in doing so. RCI's reputation is on the line with every one of its tours.

Most of the Countries we visit on our cruises have nothing near the safety requirements we take for granted in the USA. RCI takes the time to make sure that tour operators equipment and procedures are safe and its personal are knowledgeable.

It is certainly possible to save a few dollars with a non-RCI tour. Many people who post on these boards use non-RCI tour operators successfully all of the time. They have, in their own way, vetted the operator and developed a trusted relationship of their own with them.

Speaking as one hip person to another..... you are doing an awesome job with this blog. Truly awesome.

Had my hip replaced 12 years ago. Best thing I ever did. The arthritic pain and leg shortening just got too much.... I lurched around like a drunkard. If you are out there doing your thing and being such an awesome husband too you are some amazing person.

If I were wearing a hat I would take it off to you.

We're going on this cruise in April 09 and you have made it so nice! We have a slightly different itenerary, but the main ports are the same. Seeing all your pictures and posts has been really great! Sam and I are really anxious for our 150+days to hurry up and get here!

Thanks again for you taking your time to answer all the questions and post all the wonderful pictures!

A toast to you and Carol, us oldies have to stick together!;)

Jan

Day 7 - Puerto Limon, Costa Rica (Part 2)

Carol and I waited until all of the tours had departed and then went ashore. The ship we passed on the way in was tied upon the other side of the pier across from the Jewell.

DSCN8116.jpg

We walked ashore to wards the Straw Market

DSCN8117.jpg

Luckily there was a bench in the shade for us to sit and rest on when we got there. After a rest we headed into the Straw Market and bought some tee shirts and another refrigerator magnet. The Straw market was pretty nice. Almost no high pressure like the gauntlet of tour operators we passed through on the way there.

DSCN8119.jpg

DSCN8120.jpg

If you walk through the Straw Market you come to a nice air conditioned building with lots of benches and rest rooms and a few more tour operators.

DSCN8123.jpg

On the other side of the air conditioned building is the entrance to the city itself.

DSCN8125.jpg

Day 7 - Puerto Limon, Costa Rica (Part 4)

This is a difficult post for me to make and I ask that each of you consider what I have written carefully.

When Carol and I were headed up to the Windjammer for lunch we heard a general announcement that the afternoon Rain Forest Tour was canceled.

After lunch Carol and I split up for awhile but when we got back together she told me that she had overheard a portion of a conversation on an elevator that she had been on RCI's morning Rain forest Tour and that they had been robbed at gun point.

My first thought was "WOW! the rumors on the RCI Board are going to go sky high about this.

So I went down to Guest Services and talked with the Guest Service Officer and learned the following.

- A lone "nut" jumped on the bus with a pistol and robbed everyone of their cash only.

- Nobody was physically hurt.

- The tour operator has been one of RCI's Trusted Operators for several years.

- RCI will reimburse all involved for their cash loss and probably offer additional compensation that has not yet been determined.

- RCI, the Tour Operator, and the Costa Rican Officials are all "shocked" that his happened.

There is nothing more that I can add to this.

As you know, I have limited and unreliable Internet access from the ship. For this reason I ask you to help if rumors start to fly on the main RCI Board because I may not be on line to comment. Feel free to quote me.

I have seen too many times when something goes wrong that people on the boards demand compensation or free cruises for life or whatever.

If I was stopped at a stoplight in my home town and a gunman ran up to the car and robbed me (this happens often near by in Charlotte, NC) I would certainly not expect the Mayor to reimburse me for my loss.

This is certainly something that, in my opinion at least, was beyond RCI's control.

Does anyone know what "this" is.

My camera does not have a wonderful telephoto capability but in the center of the photo you can see what looks like a red pyramid on the island opposite where the Jewell is docked. It could be pile of red sand or garbage but it looks interesting what ever it is.

DSCN7718.jpg

Not a great photo but it is the "lump" pretty much in the center of the photo.

I have been to Cancun/Rivera Maya area a few times. Looks like one of the hotels between Cancun and Playa del Carmen. We stayed in a hotel complex and one of the hotels was shaped like a pyramid. This area of Mexico is across from Cozumel.

Glad that everyone is ok from their terrible ordeal on their tour Trainman. I hope the police catches the nut.

I agree that is out of RCI's control though.

In regards to the me and tuxes on the formal nights. My DB wore a nice 2 piece suit for both of our formal nights that we had on AOS. He took 2 different shirts and ties to give him 2 different outfits. This was what most of the men did on our cruise. Maybe about 10% of the men wore tuxes. There certainly wasn't many.

Trainman,

I am enjoying your posts so much.

We will be on this cruise in April and after reading your posts I am even more excited!

Thanks for the hint on the coffee mug with lid and the bathroom and helo pad instructions!

I do have a question-

1. Miami- where there any stores within walking distance of the Hilton to buy a 6 pk of Pepsi? Would you recommend this hotel or should we think about one of the other Hilton family hotels in Miami?

2. Are they still serving appetizers in the lounge late at night?

Waiting to hear more about your trip. Great live review!

Thanks so much for the reports. It is getting us very excited for our upcoming cruise on the Jewel. Question-You said that people on board said the it was dangerous in Cartagena. Did you feel unsafe at anytime during your taxi ride? Did a lot of people take private taxis/tours? We haven't decided what to do since it is such a short stop over.

Thank for any information you can give use.

Archived