Oil down to $56

Kineticoh20

I don't know why the cruise industry can't average the fuel cost for a 25 day period. If it ends up under the $70 cutoff amount, they the OBC should be issued. They certainly didn't have any problem charging us at the last minute on a previous cruise when it went up last year, after final payment even.

I agree with this. It should be a 25 day average. There's no way that one day during a 25 day period should be the difference in paying or not paying the fuel surcharge. Look at the last 2 weeks for example. There's one day oil was over $70 yet the average is WAY below $70.

With that said I will applaud them for even making an attempt to get rid of it. Usually fees like this stay forever once they're in place. It reminds me of the "energy" charges Las Vegas Hotels used to charge a few years ago. Some hotels removed them after the crunch but many left them in place. When the masses complained they changed the fees from energy surcharges to "resort" fees.

Really, I'd rather they just rasied prices accordingly and didn't nickel and dime me with separate, tacky add ons.

The fees should come off the way they went on - staggerred. At first, the surcharge was for a less amount and was only charged to the first two passengers in a cabin. Now, they are coming off all or nothing. I can certainly live with my $182 surcharge. When I booked my cruise, I considered it part of the price of the cruise. I have no real complaints and would be very happy if they just told me today (my cruise is five months away) that would just give me OBC of $100 today. For now, it's a game of roulette. ;)

Really, I'd rather they just rasied prices accordingly and didn't nickel and dime me with separate, tacky add ons.

What's the difference? You're getting screwed either way, only one way you know about the surcharge.

can anyone tell us what the first date is that you would qualify for the rebate, assuming the price stays under $70?

Thanks!

The price of oil closed at just over $70 / barrel on Nov. 4th. So the 25 trading day clock reset on the 5th.

HEre's the previously posted link to the price of oil over consecutive trading days - you can use this to project calculate the earliest 25 consecutive-day period will end, if it stays under $70 (scroll down to the chart at the bottom):

http://www.worldsleadingcruiselines.com/AboutUs/FuelSupplementUpdate.aspx

Right now it looks like today will be the 9th consecutive trading day, and that Dec 9th will be the 25th day if stays down.

http://www.worldsleadingcruiselines.com/AboutUs/FuelSupplementUpdate.aspx

Here's a link to the current trading price of oil: http://www.quoteoil.com/

Okay so I am cruising in about 5 weeks. So this sounds of great interets to me. How much is princess going to give us in OBC if the prices keep low?

If this happens, the credit you receive will be the amount you already have paid for the fuel surcharge. They will just be giving you back what they charged you. But don't get your hopes up too high. ;)

The way they worded(70 per barrel or less)leaves a grey area.they did not say 70.00 or less or even 70. Or less.you could say that anything under 71.00 is safe.i know this is splitting hairs but i think i have a good point.anyone agree?

I wondered that myself. It was $70.53, so maybe they'll go by whole dollars?? It's sort of vague. :rolleyes:

I wondered that myself. It was $70.53, so maybe they'll go by whole dollars?? It's sort of vague. :rolleyes:

It's vague on purpose with all the loop holes. Most likely you won't be getting it. It's not fair to book a cruise today and pay surcharges on $140 a barrel of oil. I boycott it until they remove them for any new bookings!

It's vague on purpose with all the loop holes. Most likely you won't be getting it. It's not fair to book a cruise today and pay surcharges on $140 a barrel of oil. I boycott it until they remove them for any new bookings!

Would it make you happier if they removed it and raised the cost of your cruise by the surcharge amount?

Oh well... Thanks Musky Ike. I had it calculated that way initially, but was hoping for some better news, and that I had calculated wrong. I hope it stays down for those of you who are cruising after us!

Yeah, looks like I am out of luck, too. We leave Dec 14th from San Juan on the CB. Even if the price stays down through Dec 9th, that's not five "trading days" (weekend days don't count) prior to sailing. They say they need the five days prior to departure in order to process on-board accounts, which is fine, but I don't really understand why they need to be "trading days". Financial debit / credit accounting systems are pretty much 24x7 operations nowadays and it can all be highly automated away.

It will be disappointing to miss the refund because of one day where the price was 53 cents over $70, and by just two more trading days prior to departure! With four of us sailing in two cabins, that's $252 total. Oh well, I paid for it knowing this going in and will not let it take away from enjoying the cruise.

"For 2008 and 2009 departures, if the price of light sweet crude oil according to the NYMEX (New York Mercantile Exchange Index) is $70 per barrel or less at the 2:30 pm close of business as reported by Reuters on each of the 25 consecutive trading days ending five trading days prior to the guest's cruise departure date, the fuel supplement will be automatically refunded in the form of a shipboard credit."

Would it make you happier if they removed it and raised the cost of your cruise by the surcharge amount?

Yes. It would. They can charge what they want for a cruise and if I feel it's fair, then I go on it. If I don't like the price, I don't go. However, when I currently want to go and book a cruise and I see a fuel surcharge based on $140 a barrel of oil, why should I pay for something that isn't warranted?

Yes. It would. They can charge what they want for a cruise and if I feel it's fair, then I go on it. If I don't like the price, I don't go. However, when I currently want to go and book a cruise and I see a fuel surcharge based on $140 a barrel of oil, why should I pay for something that isn't warranted?

I am sure you already pay for many costs on a cruise ship for things you don't use. Is it worth it breaking down the cost of where every dollar spent on the total fee goes? I can't get all worked about this. I'd love to get it back. But I always just consider the total cost of the cruise and whether it's worth it to me. That said, I agree that these costs should be removed by Princess/Carninval now and only reinstituted if the price goes over $80. I agree with you on that. It's just insignificant to me at this point.

I am sure you already pay for many costs on a cruise ship for things you don't use. Is it worth it breaking down the cost of where every dollar spent on the total fee goes? I can't get all worked about this. I'd love to get it back. But I always just consider the total cost of the cruise and whether it's worth it to me. That said, I agree that these costs should be removed by Princess/Carninval now and only reinstituted if the price goes over $80. I agree with you on that. It's just insignificant to me at this point.

I know and I agree and understand the argument of the total price so who cares, pay what you're willing to pay. I understand that philosophy. I guess it's principles for me and when I see up front I have to pay for surcharge for something that isn't needed or warranted, I just won't do it. I had no problem paying for it months ago when it was warranted. I just cannot book a cruise right now when it is not warranted. I will not pay for it like that.

I know and I agree and understand the argument of the total price so who cares, pay what you're willing to pay. I understand that philosophy. I guess it's principles for me and when I see up front I have to pay for surcharge for something that isn't needed or warranted, I just won't do it. I had no problem paying for it months ago when it was warranted. I just cannot book a cruise right now when it is not warranted. I will not pay for it like that.

OUCH!!!

So, you'll be staying at home while others cruise.

I guess you'll show them. Do you really want to stick to that "principle"?

Has anyone noticed how they haven`t stopped counting the days or reset the count on the Princess website? Maybe the one day at 70.53 isn`t enough to start over or maybe it had to be over on the next day also??? Just found it curious that they are still counting to 25 on the site.:confused:

Has anyone noticed how they haven`t stopped counting the days or reset the count on the Princess website? Maybe the one day at 70.53 isn`t enough to start over or maybe it had to be over on the next day also??? Just found it curious that they are still counting to 25 on the site.:confused:

What site are you referring to? I see prices but no count.

What's the difference? You're getting screwed either way, only one way you know about the surcharge.

The difference is that your fare used to INCLUDE fuel. Now they are charging extra for it. I'd rather they would have just raised fares accordingly to make up for higher fuel prices like they have done the previous 100 years. Any time there is an added fee or surcharge added to my bill, it annoys me. I want one price, in and out the door, not a series of prices to add up.

I've got no problem paying an extra $5-10 per day for my fare. I know fuel prices are/were high and the cruislines need to make money to survive, so just jack up my fare accordingly. I don't think it's right that they advertise really low fares, but then when you read the fine print or click onto the next page, a 10 day fare for 2 people is $200 higher than the advertised rate (I know port charges and taxes are added on but I consider that different).

The difference is that your fare used to INCLUDE fuel. Now they are charging extra for it. I'd rather they would have just raised fares accordingly to make up for higher fuel prices like they have done the previous 100 years. Any time there is an added fee or surcharge added to my bill, it annoys me. I want one price, in and out the door, not a series of prices to add up.

I've got no problem paying an extra $5-10 per day for my fare. I know fuel prices are/were high and the cruislines need to make money to survive, so just jack up my fare accordingly. I don't think it's right that they advertise really low fares, but then when you read the fine print or click onto the next page, a 10 day fare for 2 people is $200 higher than the advertised rate (I know port charges and taxes are added on but I consider that different).

You'll be getting you way real soon. Be patient.

Archived