Where any of you aprehensive about your first cruise?

jaw62901

Hi,

Where any of you apprehensive about your first cruise? We are really looking forward to going and we know that were going to have a great time and all, but with this being our first cruise this is unfamiliar territory to us.

1. not being as cool or rich as the other people

2. having my cheap clothes look cheap next to nice formal gowns

once i learned that everyone was too busy to even bother with what i was wearing or doing, i settled down and just had fun.

Yes, definitely. It was well over 20 years ago for me. I had no idea whether I would enjoy cruising. So, to play it safe, I booked a Disney package - a 4-day Disney World visit plus a 3-day cruise to the Bahamas out of Port Canaveral. This was on Premier Cruise Line's Big Red Boat. I figured a shorter cruise was the way to go in case I ended up hating it. But, much to my delight, I thoroughly enjoyed the cruise and have been cruising ever since.

My wife and i went on our first cruise "ever" this past sept. on the Pearl. 7 days to Alaska and back from Seattle. we never thought we would like going on a cruise and thought we woud be bored but.........Had an aft penthouse suite. did'nt know of all the perks that went along with this type of cabin. best place to be on a heavy seas night. we had a ball....just injoy the ride.

My wife and I were very scared. We were afraid we would have sit with other people at dinner, which with NCL is nice we dont have to, we can wait for a table for 2. We worried there wasnt enough to do on the ship, we were wrong and then only being at each destination for a short time. Which actually we enjoy get to see more, and love the prices having almost everything included. We just made sure we did alot of research on each cruise company before we choose the one for us.

:)My dh and I have been to Bermuda 3 times now. We're going in June for the fourth time. It took me 20 years to get my dh on a ship. He is very motion sick. Very bad. He is a licensed battlefield guide here, and he can't even do the bus tours because he can't stand backwards. So, our first cruise for our 20th anniversary was a little stressful, because I was so afraid he would hate it and I already knew I would love it. We weren't back even 2 weeks after our first cruise and he wondered, what ship shall we go on to bermuda next year? Oh my gosh!!! :D I was so shocked and so excited. He does different things for his motion sickness and except for a little discomfort on the first cruise, he has loved every minute of it.;) So completely enjoy yourself, then you will hooked.:p

Where any of you apprehensive about your first cruise?

I was concerned about the lack of designated NON smoking cabins. But so far I've been lucky and have found virtually no detectable traces of smoke in my cabins. On my first NCL cruise there was almost always smoke in the hallway. On my second there appeared to be virtually no smoking in the vicinity of my cabin or balcony.

For me, my first cruise I had no hesitations or aprehensions at all. I could not wait to get onboard the ship.

My DDP on the other hand was worried he would be bored on sea days or feel like he was couped up onboard the ship, not being able to go where he wanted to when he wanted to, etc. From about 30 minutes into his first cruise (our first cruise together) he was hooked.

I will probably get flamed for this, but I always worry when first time cruisers find CC before their cruise. Sometimes it gets things in their minds that they should expect, etc. I have read more than once where people found this board after their first cruise and said thank god, because on their first cruise they didn't know what should or should not be.

What I mean by that is this. You may read on here how some people are greeted by every crew member with a smile and a hello ( we have always experienced that pretty much), but if you get on your cruise and you run into a crew member here and there that isn't that friendly, don't let it color your cruise. A cruise is what you make of it. No one can take that from you but you. So go at the cruise like its going to be a blast and have a good relaxing time.

Hope this makes sense and I hope you have an amazing cruise. You might find that you guys are as addicted to cruising as much as the rest of us. 8-)

I was absolutely, positively convinced that I was going to hate my first cruise! We had neighbors who'd been trying to get us to go for several years. DH wanted to, I didn't. My concept of cruising included having to dress up (I don't even own a formal dress and have no desire to) and having to eat with strangers. Luckily, on NCL I didn't have to stress about either of those issues.

However, I found plenty of other things to stress about. I thought I'd hate having to be on the ship for the sea days, that there wouldn't be anywhere to relax without being in direct sunlight (I burn very easily), that the rooms would be too small (110 sq. ft. on the old NCL Sea), that I'd be bored, that I'd get seasick (never been motion sick a day in my life) etc., etc.

Finding this board almost made it worse. At the time, there were a lot of negatives reviews on the Sea, and I was sure I was spending my hard-earned money for a terrible vacation. Luckily, there were several old-time posters who calmed my fears. Some still post here, some don't.

Much to my surprise, I got my first glimpse of the ship and was totally hooked before I even boarded. :D I fell totally, overwhelmingly in love with cruising. That first cruise was in January, 2004 and we just finished our 6th cruise in September.

Enjoy your first cruise!

We were so excited to go on our first cruise! All we basically heard was 1.The cabins (we were inside) were very tiny... be prepared.

2. The food was going to be great.

3. Most of the time you wouldnt even feel the rocking of the ship...

that was all the before knowledge we had-- passed on to us by friends... So we went with open minds-- and we were hooked! :)

I agree with Terry- I am glad I didnt know about this board until after our first cruise or maybe 2. I think I would have been trying to analyze everything rather than just enjoying the first cruise....

I must say this board has been such a tremendous help-- and I think some of the info for a first timer is helpful, just don't go overly critical. Just enjoy!! :) You will have a blast!

I wasn't apprehensive at all. I was sooooooo excited. However, and please don't let this scare you, after the first night I was laying in bed saying NEVER AGAIN. I get motion sickness and I sailed unprepared. I was so sick. That first morning I was telling my wife never again...we will get through this week and never step foot on a ship again. Once I started treating my sea sickness I had a great time. And that experience taught me to start treating it before sailing. Many cruises later I laugh at that first experience. I love cruising...the whole experience is amazing. I just learned I need to treat my "illness."

My first cruise was 5 years ago. Before that I had traveled to some beautiful caribbean islands and also to all inclusives. Then I was taken on a cruise as a gift for my 40th birthday. We sailed on the Princess Grand out of Ft.Lauderdale to the caribbean.

It was FANTASTIC and that was the beginning of my LOVE for cruising.

Three years ago my BF and I went on our first cruise together (his first cruising ever). I couldn't wait till we stepped foot on the ship to watch his reaction as he saw just how amazing a cruise ship is. The look of "WOW" was written all over as he grinned from ear to ear. We just got off our third cruise and we both believe that you do get the most value for your money. Where else can you get your transportation, floating hotel, all the food you could possibly eat and more, entertainment, shops, spas, etc.. in one price, in one place.

While all cruises are not created equal some better than others bottom line is it's the best vacation you could ever ask for.

It's as relaxing as you'd like it to be OR as energetic as you'd like.

I (on my first - going on princess ) thought it would be a snobby atmosphere and would I be dressed right etc... We met some really wonderful couples at dinners, and made friends, island hopped together, rented mopeds explored islands together and just had a really wonderful time with what ever we did.

Nothing like your first............ cruise !!

Enjoy and Have a beautiful time. Guarantee you'll do it over and over and over again. :)

We leave in one day for our cruise and this is our second one, our first one on NCL but just the same I am a baby.. considered to some of these seasoned sailors, (my husband has been sailing on the high seas for 25 years now on much much bigger ships then cruise liners) I am very apprehensive even thou this is the second one...but I loved the first one so much even with a bout of sea sickness...It was enough to inspire me to do another one. Trust me I am the biggest chicken and worry wart on the face of the earth...if i can do it you can too! Try it you just might like it! I know I will! :) And if this works out we are already talking about another one in the spring! I think this can become very addictive! LOL

I was sort of indifferent. My Dad had an extra ticket because my Mom couldn't go and he got free tickets from a company he does business for. I said, eh, I'll go.

OMG when I saw the size of the ship (and it was an older Carnival ship so it wasn't even that big) I was stunned. I knew it would be something special. And it was.

It was amazing. You never run out of new things to do or places to explore. I still don't think I found everything on that ship.

You are going to have the best time. This will be my 4th and I'm way more excited than my first. Yay! 2 weeks. :) Sorry I'm a little excited.

Our first cruise was on the American Adventure which was owned by Costa and probably paved the way for the including of children on cruises. That cruise consisted of my husband and I with 3 elementary aged children in an inside cabin. The only two things I was worried about was my claustrophobia acting up and my kids not having enough to do/not making any friends/not having fun. Turns out there were no worries. We didn't see them most of the week. We won $500 on that cruise on family bingo, some money on slots and $100 shipboard credit as we were leaving. This was on top of a $500 price drop and the kids sailing free because the line was ceasing operation. We paid more for last minute airfare than we did the cruise! My claustrophobia by the way did not act up, but seasickness was a little bit of an issue!:eek: I haven't been on anything quite so old since.

I wouldn't be apprehensive about anything, just go and enjoy!:D While I take in a lot of what I read here in and it makes me aware of possible issues, I always form my own opinions. There are going to be things you like, and maybe some you don't. Deal with it while on the ship, not when you get home.

How exciting to go on a first cruise! I hope you have a great time. I am a repeat cruiser because each sailing is always different.

Since you stated 'unfamiliar territory,' I hope your travel agent has explained some basics about cruising and NCL. Some examples include what to bring for motion sickness, automatic tipping, and that some restaurants have cover charges.

We can assist more if you let us know exactly what the apprehension is about, especially if you have specific ones. If not, then the answers above are fun to review!

Oh, I always recommend reading the FreeStyle Daily, a four page magazine delivered to your stateroom each evening. Each are full of the next day's information, activities and specials.

I hope you write a review when you get back!

coka

I was apprehensive but that was back in the early 90's before the internet. You had to rely on the cruise line brochures (still have one with the Southward and Starward) and the input from a good travel agent. Now, you can get helpful advice from strangers through forums like this. It is much easier now not to be surprised. I loved my first cruise and was hooked ever since. I did learn that I never wanted to take a cruise back to Nassau though! I have been true to my word so far...

How exciting to go on a first cruise! I hope you have a great time. I am a repeat cruiser because each sailing is always different.

Since you stated 'unfamiliar territory,' I hope your travel agent has explained some basics about cruising and NCL. Some examples include what to bring for motion sickness, automatic tipping, and that some restaurants have cover charges.

We can assist more if you let us know exactly what the apprehension is about, especially if you have specific ones. If not, then the answers above are fun to review!

Oh, I always recommend reading the FreeStyle Daily, a four page magazine delivered to your stateroom each evening. Each are full of the next day's information, activities and specials.

I hope you write a review when you get back!

coka

We booked directly with NCL so there really wasn't anyone to find out the cruising basics from. We have picked up some from the boards, but now that you mentioned it what is the best thing to take for motion sickness. Neither one of us expect to get motion sickness, but you never know. From what some people have said, It seems that we might have spoiled ourselves a little to much with going with an AE suites the first time out. I guess it's hard to stay in any other cabin once you get the taste of life in a suite.

Oh Jason, I hope someone else can answer that question! I have never had motion sickness. I know there are sea bands you can wear on your wrists, or a patch you wear behind your ears, or a tablet you take orally. If you take a tablet, get the non-drowsy kind. If you consume alcohol, make sure the tablet can be taken with it. I think also you have to do all this before the motion sickness comes on...or if you think you feel it coming on!

Anyone else help with this?

coka

I have stayed in a variety of cabins...I have gone to lower categories after staying in higher ones.

I see you are going on the Jewel. If you go on the water slide, you have to go down on your back, curled in a ball. If you sit up straight on your butt, you will get stuck about 1/2 way down.

coka

Oh Jason, I hope someone else can answer that question! I have never had motion sickness. I know there are sea bands you can wear on your wrists, or a patch you wear behind your ears, or a tablet you take orally. If you take a tablet, get the non-drowsy kind. If you consume alcohol, make sure the tablet can be taken with it. I think also you have to do all this before the motion sickness comes on...or if you think you feel it coming on!

Anyone else help with this?

coka

Im sure we can ask our local pharmasist what they recomend as well. All I know both my wife and I need this cruise in the worst of ways especially after a busy holiday season that we are going to have. The great thing is after everyone has opened there gifts, the husle and busel of the holiday season is over and everyone is back to work, we will still have our christmas/anniversary gift cruise to look forward to.

If you're worried about the possibility of getting seasick, make sure you take some meclazine with you. That's the generic name -- Bonine and the less drowsy form of Dramamine should be the same thing.

My DD does get seasick and we tried the patch for her. She had trouble with blurry vision after about 3 days, so we won't be trying that again. Also, if your skin is oily at all, you may have trouble with it not sticking properly.

Another nice thing to have along is ginger -- either candied ginger or ginger capsules. They help to settle upset stomaches. If you ask the crew, they recommend green apples.

If you're worried about the possibility of getting seasick, make sure you take some meclazine with you. That's the generic name -- Bonine and the less drowsy form of Dramamine should be the same thing.

My DD does get seasick and we tried the patch for her. She had trouble with blurry vision after about 3 days, so we won't be trying that again. Also, if your skin is oily at all, you may have trouble with it not sticking properly.

Another nice thing to have along is ginger -- either candied ginger or ginger capsules. They help to settle upset stomaches. If you ask the crew, they recommend green apples.

Were not worried about it, but we just want to be ready for it just incase. While we did get a good deal on this cruise, it is still a nice chunk of change we paid.

It's always better to be prepared. The first cruise we went on we were with quite a big group. The brother of our friends who organized it said he'd never been motion sick in his life -- but he sure got seasick. He ended up seeing the Dr. on board for a shot, but I think he spent the first 3 days in bed.

I know people who use the meclazine as a preventative. They start taking it about two nights before they sail. They take one before bed each night and that seems to prevent them from having any trouble -- even for those who know they have a tendency to be seasick. I'm don't bother -- but if you have had any problems with motion sickness, it might not hurt.

Hi,

Where any of you apprehensive about your first cruise? We are really looking forward to going and we know that were going to have a great time and all, but with this being our first cruise this is unfamiliar territory to us.

I was apprehensive about my first cruise because I had no idea what to expect. Since I have now been on twelve cruises with two more booked, you can assume I saw the real potential that cruising offered.

I was apprehensive about my third cruise because I had talked someone into going and because my expectations were so high that just meeting those expectations would have been difficult (for the record after a few minutes on board all my fears went away and Carnival not only met my expectations, Carnival exceeded my expectations). It was this cruise that hooked me on cruising.

I was apprehensive about my fifth cruise because it was the first cruise I went where I didn't know anyone else on board and because it was with NCL which was (and still does) getting very mixed reviews (I had a great time).

I was apprehensive about my seventh cruise because I not only talked someone into going, I talked them into sharing a very expensive suite ($12,000). While we had fun on that cruise, it is likely to be the last suite I book with Royal Caribbean, unless I need the extra room. I have received far better service on the other three Royal Caribbean cruises where I was in an ocean view or balcony cabin.

I was apprehensive about my ninth cruise because it was a two week cruise (through the Panama Canal) on NCL. This cruise and my third cruise are my two favorite cruises.

Archived