HELP! I need to plan a Cruise to Alaska.

Marietta

My husband & I want to do Alaska in 2010 on RCL and I am looking at 3 differant schedules and wish to get everyones opinion. 1. Serenade, does Tracy Arm and has longer stays on most of the towns, & does the Vancouver to San Diego run or the San Francisco to Vancouver but does Victoria & Prince Rupert, BC, or the Radiance, Vancouver to San Diego, with no Tracy Arm. Thank You.

My husband & I want to do Alaska in 2010 on RCL and I am looking at 3 differant schedules and wish to get everyones opinion. 1. Serenade, does Tracy Arm and has longer stays on most of the towns, & does the Vancouver to San Diego run or the San Francisco to Vancouver but does Victoria & Prince Rupert, BC, or the Radiance, Vancouver to San Diego, with no Tracy Arm. Thank You.

Since you are looking at reposist. cruises, you also need to be aware of the negatives sailing these time frames, if you don't already. You have the worse potential weather of the entire season. You will not get within sight of the glaciers at Tracy Arm either of these sailing times. So, if glaciers are a priority, then you need to look at and book additional tours. Early season, also frequently has trouble getting close to Hubbard glacier. RCI does have some lacking itineraries, and it is unknown the spacifics, to really answer your questions.

Hi Budget, what time of year is best for Alaska. We would like to see the Glaciers if possible, however, to visit all the little towns that are offered on an Alaska Cruise, and see the lovely scenery is equally important. We live in So Calif and have visited Alaska before but the interior, Anchorage, Fairbanks Denali, Kenai several years ago. thank you for your information.

Oct 2008 Hawaii RT ROS

April 2006 Panama 17 Days Princess

April 2004 E Caribbean BOS

April 2002 Mex Riviera Princess

The best excursion we did was taking a helicopter to the dog sled camp and then I drove a dog sled. If you do the land portion there is a stop where you have the option of paying to go further into the park (cant remember which one). Do it. We did not and we saw a fox and that was about it, except for those little dots that someone would say was an animal. The people that went into the park further saw alot of animals.

QUOTE]

For clarification, "driving" your own sled does not happen on these tours. You are always with a driver and hooked up to a second sled. As I mention, you do get to ride either in the basket- 2 passengers, or the breaks, of which this person references.

I am also assuming they are referring to the Natural History Tour in Denali Park??? Which is completely worthless and a very poor choice on any cruisetour. IF you are going to Alaska, do yourself a favor and at least see it. Always look for the Tundra Wilderness tour to be included, or at the very least 2 nights there, so to be able to GET into the park with the shuttle buses.

I was standing on the back of the sled, another person on the tour in the basket and then the dogs. The dog sled person was driving another team of dogs in the sled in front of me with someone else in his basket. There was a rope attaching our dogs to the back of his sled so the dogs would follow his lead and I had to brake. It was the closest many of us get to driving a sled team of dogs. It was a great experience.

Denali sounds right. The people on our tour that went on the tour that went further in the park were glad they went. Those of us that took the shorter tour weren't very excited about it.

Hi Budget, what time of year is best for Alaska. We would like to see the Glaciers if possible, however, to visit all the little towns that are offered on an Alaska Cruise, and see the lovely scenery is equally important. We live in So Calif and have visited Alaska before but the interior, Anchorage, Fairbanks Denali, Kenai several years ago. thank you for your information.

Oct 2008 Hawaii RT ROS

April 2006 Panama 17 Days Princess

April 2004 E Caribbean BOS

April 2002 Mex Riviera Princess

"Best" will be the timeframe to allow you your priorities of touring. Each have their advantages. Determine what you wish to see and do. Glaciers are easily viewable the entire season, IF you choose Glacier Bay, and with a one way, adding a Prince William Sound boat tour.

Thank you, one last question, is Sept to late. All the ones I am looking at include Hubbard glaciers, one subsitutes with Tracy Arm Fjord, one gives you a couple hours longer in Ketchikan and Skagway. Since we are from So Ca I am looking at the two Vancouver to San Diego schedules for Sept on RCL, SOS, showing for 2009 right now. Hopefully nothing changes for 2010. RCL prices are much better then Princess too.

If you end up wanting to do a round trip, take a look at the HAL round trips out of Vancouver next year. They have one itinereray that goes to Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm Fjord. These were the highlights of our trip in June. Since your husband likes trains, I second taking the train in Skagway. We did the 9 hour tour with the train up, and mini bus back down with Chilkoot tours. It was a fabulous tour. Very scenic!!!! We debated a long time about doing the 7 hour or the 9 hour trip. We were so glad we did the 9 hour. We had some fog on the way up which limited some of our viewing. The scenery past where you get off for the 7 hour trip was magnificent. I highly recommend this trip.

I can't help with ships and their shows. We went in mid-June when there was a lot of daylight. We were on the HAL Volendam and loved it. We were out on deck or in the crow's nest lounge with its panoramic viewing until it got dark, which was very late in mid-June. By then, it was time for bed. Your days on an Alaskan cruise begin early. We had 7:00 a.m. port times so we were not into the night life. We heard the shows were good, but we went to Alaska for scenery, not to be entertained. Everyone is different in their vacation priorities. We basically used the ship as our transportation. We were never bored and our days were filled with enjoying the beautiful scenery around us. We were in our cabin to eat, sleep or change clothes. The rest of the time we were viewing the beautiful Alaskan shorelines. If you have different priorities you will have to do some research in that regard. However, who knows what ships will be offering next year in this economy. There may be many cutbacks.

My sister and BIL were with us and they have cruised extensively. They enjoyed this cruise very much and thought the food was wonderful. Their favorite cruiseline is Celebrity, but my BIL has been telling his friends to go on HAL for Alaska. My DH and I had not cruised before and we were more than satisfied. We thought the food was fabulous. Another sister is a very fussy eater and she also thought the food was great. Talking to people onboard our ship, many said how much better the food was on HAL than on Princess.

If you lurk on some of the the cruiseline boards, you will find that as BQ already said, quality of food and shows seems to be dropping on most lines. Everyone is out for a bargain price. When a cruiseline has to offer many basement bottom prices to fill a ship, they cannot afford to continue to offer all the amenities they used to. Some are saying that the cruiselines will end up like the airlines. You will pay for you transportation, but everything else will come at a cost to you. Let's hope not, but it surely is a possibility.

As BQ said, on glacier days, the decks were more crowded. We had a gorgeous blue sky/sunshiny day in Glacier Bay. Even though many were on deck, it did not have any effect on our viewing. There were many areas to view from. We did go to the Lido to eat a very quick lunch (had to get back out on deck ;)) and we had no trouble finding a good seat by a window. I don't know how other ships are, or how they will be next year, but we never felt crowded and never had to wait in long lines at the Lido.

I know how hard it is to make this final decision. I also know what it is like to be married to someone who likes to go on vacation, but doesn't want to plan. The planning is so important in order to get the most out of your trip. Alaska is truly beautiful country. Make sure you research your ports very well, so you get to see the best they have to offer that is along your area of interest.

Good luck planning and keep us posted on what you decide to do.

Thank you, one last question, is Sept to late. All the ones I am looking at include Hubbard glaciers, one subsitutes with Tracy Arm Fjord, one gives you a couple hours longer in Ketchikan and Skagway. Since we are from So Ca I am looking at the two Vancouver to San Diego schedules for Sept on RCL, SOS, showing for 2009 right now. Hopefully nothing changes for 2010. RCL prices are much better then Princess too.

It depends when in Sept. Overall, after the first few days, you can run into the worse weather potential of the Alaska cruise season. On average, 3 days of rain, temps 40-50, dusk by 7pm. With that, the negatives can be fewer tour times, a few tours not available, and no evening scenic sailing. There is a slight possibility of northern lights. :)

Budget, thank you, looks like we might be doing the 14 day out of San Francisco ending in Vancouver. Itnerary, SF, AStoria, Oregon, Seattle, Cruising, Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait, Hubbard Glacier, Sitka, Prince Rupert, BC, Inside Passage, Victoria, Vancouver, if it doesn't change for 2010. it is going May 2 for 2009. Will see what happens, thank you for all your information.

We are starting to plan a return trip to Alaska in June 2010. We are looking to do a self-guided tour of Denali either before or after.

Anybody have recommendations on which is better, Northbound or Southbound?

Any ideas when Royal Caribbean will open the schedule for 2010 season?

Thanks for any input!

Deb

Deb I am also looking into the 2010 Alaska Cruises, and trying to narrow it down. I am considering the one from Vancouver to San Diego, as it will be an easy drive home for us, or the reverse, San Francisco to Vancouver, then we can pretty much fly home direct. Either way we will have a flight. We are in So Calif, so it just depends on the itnerary & what appeals to you. I am looking at RCL & the Serenade of the Seas. We have been on the BOS & the ROS most recently. RCL prices are far better then Princess right now.

We are starting to plan a return trip to Alaska in June 2010. We are looking to do a self-guided tour of Denali either before or after.

Anybody have recommendations on which is better, Northbound or Southbound?

Any ideas when Royal Caribbean will open the schedule for 2010 season?

Thanks for any input!

Deb

Both directions offer plenty, it really doesn't matter in my opinion. I have done both many times, every single one, enjoyable. :) You are bound to get the "sail southbound, so to be able to relax from a hectic interior schedule". But I NEVER recommend this and never do this myself. I am a big advocate of allowing time in interior Alaska. You may also want to consider this by going for as long as you can afford.

However, it would also depend when in June?? IF first few days, a northbound would allow you get into Denali Park to Wonder Lake, which shuttle buses don't start running until June 8.

I have been asked to help plan a girl's cruise in 2010. Since my DH refuses to take an Alaskan cruise I jumped at the chance. Since we are going sans hubbies we are only going to do the cruise portion - either Northbound or Southbound so we can go further up into state. The other girl who is helping plan has only been on RCI so she is partial to that, yet would be open to other possibilities. I am open to any cruiseline that fits our itinerary needs. We know we want to spend some time in Skagway (I would like to do the railroad tour there). We are currently thinking of cruising in June as we want the best possible weather, but do not want to break the bank, either.

I know from reading this thread that we need to base our decision on the ports and what we would like to do at each one. The concern I have is the following post. Could someone explain to me why a OW should end in Seward instead of Whittier?:confused:

If trains are important, the two opportunities are the White Pass & Yukon RR in Skagway and the Alaska RR that runs from Seward to ANC. The Alaska RR continues on to Denali NP and Fairbanks. If you're doing a RT be sure it stops in Skagway; a OW should end in Seward (not Whittier).

Any suggestions that you have would be quite appreciated. Thanks!:)

I have been asked to help plan a girl's cruise in 2010. Since my DH refuses to take an Alaskan cruise I jumped at the chance. Since we are going sans hubbies we are only going to do the cruise portion - either Northbound or Southbound so we can go further up into state. The other girl who is helping plan has only been on RCI so she is partial to that, yet would be open to other possibilities. I am open to any cruiseline that fits our itinerary needs. We know we want to spend some time in Skagway (I would like to do the railroad tour there). We are currently thinking of cruising in June as we want the best possible weather, but do not want to break the bank, either.

I know from reading this thread that we need to base our decision on the ports and what we would like to do at each one. The concern I have is the following post. Could someone explain to me why a OW should end in Seward instead of Whittier?:confused:

Any suggestions that you have would be quite appreciated. Thanks!:)

I believe he was referring to the train rides. If you are doing a round trip,

the only place for a train trip would be at Skagway, If you are doing a one-way, you should get a cruiseline that ends/starts at Seward. The train from Whittier joins the Seward-Anchorage tracks about 100 miles (est) further up the tracks from Seward. I hope this clarifies your situation.

Early June is a good balance of cost and weather. If your friend still insists on RCI, tell her getting close to Hubbard Glacier is a problem in May and June. The last two seasons, it was either early July and late June were the times that a ship could get close to Hubbard. Next season doesn't look any better. Have fun deciding.

Archived