Sitting? at lifeboat drill

Flindy&Doc

Does anyone know if arrangements can be made for someone who cannot stand for long periods of time? I would hate for DH to have a problem with passing out or having his legs give out while standing around waiting to have his name checked off the muster drill list. Surely this scenario has come up before, but I haven't found it by searching. He made it through ok on our last cruise, but it was quite a nerve wracking wait.

I know arrangements can be made. I was having difficulty at one drill and they offered to excuse me from the rest of the drill. I hadn't made any arrangements in advance for this, either. Very nice of them. :)

I always go to the drill at the last possible moment, and stay at the front. I try to bring my cane, too, but sometimes all that is just not enough. :(

Another thought:

Not sure how much weight they hold, but seat canes are available for for under $60.00..They have small ones for about $45 & larger ones which I assume hold more weight for about $59.00...Have seen people out on tour with them & they look quite versatile..

Check out this site:

http://www.canemart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=cm&Category_Code=specialty_umbrella_seat&sort=&offset=0

Thanks for all the great ideas. We will definitely talk to guest services soon after boarding. He is probably not ready for the various assistive devices, but those seat canes could be quite helpful. Will keep that in mind for future reference.

If while you are standing at the drill, if it becomes too hard on your DH, speak with the life boat commander or any of the Officers who pass by and explain he needs to find a seat. I am sure they will be extremely accomodating. This is one thing you can cross off your list of things you need to worry about. He will not be forced to do more than he is able.

It is a good idea to speak with GRM as, in the event of an emergency, they have a list of guests who may need assistance and his cabin number will be placed on the list. In a real emergency, crew would help you get to your life boat station.

Unfortunately HAL does not.

The drills are held on the promenade deck, right? Aren't there those wooden benches in the back? I've seen people sitting on them during lifeboat drill ... I think as long as you let the boat captain for your lifeboat station know you are sitting back there due to a problem with your legs, there's no problem. Also, since this pair is a couple, the wife can stand up front and respond when their cabin number is called.

I don't see it would be a problem. In fact, I've seen people seated on those benches in the past.

But it is a good idea to let the front office know of the husband's problem ... only so that they can make sure extra help is provided in the event of a real emergency.

Blue skies ...

--rita

HAL boat drills are held on Promenade Deck - there are benches every few feet as well as lockers containing life jackets which are a good height for sitting. Plan to get there a little early to ensure a seat near/at your muster station. You can answer "present" for him if he is not in the immediate area -the crew are both intelligent and accomodating enough for there to be no problem.

I know if you tell someone your problem, they will assist you. Last February, ( or maybe it was the February before) my DH was recovering from pneumonia and we left out of NYC in the freezing weather. As he was about to go outside, he told someone and they told him to go out, get his name checked off and come back inside and wait there. It would have been very bad for him to have had to stand outside in the cold.

HAL boat drills are held on Promenade Deck - there are benches every few feet as well as lockers containing life jackets which are a good height for sitting. Plan to get there a little early to ensure a seat near/at your muster station. You can answer "present" for him if he is not in the immediate area -the crew are both intelligent and accomodating enough for there to be no problem.

With all due respect to the Navybankerteacher (thanks for your service to our country!), HAL boat drills are held on Promenade Deck on the four Vista's and the one Signature (Eurodam). On Prinsendam, the four "S" and the four "R" class ships however, the drill is held on Lower Promenade Deck. Not sure on which dam ship the OP and her DH are planning on sailing.

Also, those wooden benches and metal lockers are NOT located at each lifeboat station so that's something the OP's DH can unfortunately not rely on. He might find himself at a bench at lifeboat station #12, yet assigned to station #4. You will find wooden lounge chairs at most lifeboat stations but for the lifeboat drill, the crew will fold them up and stow them against the outside bulkheads of the deck in question.

The OP's best bet is to bring her, and her DH's, circumstances to the attention of HAL's staff once onboard. They will take care of her DH!

Although their were many parts of our Disney cruise last yr that didn't measure up to HAL, accommodating the disabled ( I use a cane) was one area in which they excelled.

Now one can make the argument that they don't handle as many infirm folks as HAL, but they went out of their way to see that both DW and I had a spot to sit on one of the storage boxes on the deck during muster drill and they also had a special golf cart waiting at the dock on their private island and would take you wherever you wanted to go and told you to simply have staff call them when you wanted to be picked up.

I was impressed.

Archived