Should I Get OBC For The Difference?

1of5G

I booked 2 staterooms on Carnival Triumph sailing 12/07/08 through a popular online TA back in April. I paid the balance in September. Two weeks ago, I noticed that both the Carnival and TA website was offering lower rates for the same catagory stateroom I booked. I called him and asked that he call Carnival for me and request an OBC for the difference. He said that Carnival told him that they don't do that. I asked him to please try again because I was aware of many people on the same ship, same date whose TA had given them OBC for the difference between what they paid and the current rate(within the last few weeks). He responded a few days later with OBC for the difference. I thanked him for his help. Now I discover that the rate has gone down again.(total $177 per stateroom). He did'nt respond to my email from Saturday, so I emailed him again. He called and acted as if he had already handled this. When I explained I was talking about a second OBC he said "no". Is it wrong for me to expect OBC for the difference? This new rate has to do with the state you live in, and Carnival said they can't help because I booked through a TA, but any TA would honor the OBC if they wanted my future business. What do you think? "Thanks" in advance to all who respond.

I booked 2 staterooms on Carnival Triumph sailing 12/07/08 through a popular online TA back in April. I paid the balance in September. Two weeks ago, I noticed that both the Carnival and TA website was offering lower rates for the same catagory stateroom I booked. I called him and asked that he call Carnival for me and request an OBC for the difference. He said that Carnival told him that they don't do that. I asked him to please try again because I was aware of many people on the same ship, same date whose TA had given them OBC for the difference between what they paid and the current rate(within the last few weeks). He responded a few days later with OBC for the difference. I thanked him for his help. Now I discover that the rate has gone down again.(total $177 per stateroom). He did'nt respond to my email from Saturday, so I emailed him again. He called and acted as if he had already handled this. When I explained I was talking about a second OBC he said "no". Is it wrong for me to expect OBC for the difference? This new rate has to do with the state you live in, and Carnival said they can't help because I booked through a TA, but any TA would honor the OBC if they wanted my future business. What do you think? "Thanks" in advance to all who respond.

It's up to the TA policies on this... some do not get those OBC's for their customers and some do. Yours did one time and may be apprehensive to do it again due to additional lost commissions.... if so, tell them you will do business elsewhere in future bookings if they cannot help you this time like they did the first time your requested. But then again, they actually lied to you about it the first attempt you made for the initial OBC and said CCL would not do this for you, but then ammended that statement and got you the OBC. Can you spell H-O-N-E-S-T-Y ???

I think that the TA should get the OBC for you but as has been said it will do two things, cause more work and impact his commission. For this reason a lot of online TA's (and some brick and mortar TAs too) will not do this. There is really no way to force them to do anything except take your business elsewhere next time and maybe become a squeaky wheel now.

Good luck because I don't have any real suggestions.

Hi, neighbor! Go Redwings!24.giff?id=10595

You MAY be able to get more than one OBC. I had 2 price drops before final payment. It reduced the amount of my final payment. The price dropped again after final payment, but my Carnival PVP suggested I wait till the beginning of December in case it drops again. Since final payment has been made she cannot make any change and it would go to her supervisor. He or she may only approve one more price drop (as an OBC).

I would still try again and insist your TA check with Carnival again. That's one reason I go through a PVP at Carnival. I started as a past guest because it was cheaper than military at the time (very unusual). I kept checking and it was military that was lower so she switched mine to military. She's been very accommodating.

Hi 1of5G - I would call and ask him to do a 3-way call with Carnival. We also booked through one of the big on-line TAs and after some pestering and directness, we got 2 different OBC price drops after final payment. And that was after getting a price drop the day we made final payment...Good luck! :)

Times are hard. I have seen that alot of people of posting that they had to cancel their cruise or just lost their job. Travel is a luxury some cannot afford right now. Travel Agents are really taking a beating. I know one national travel agency that is laying of a third of its staff. I saw on this board a popular online TA site is belly up. I think we may see an increase refusal of price reductions and onboard credit as the price of cruising goes down.

Booking thru a PVP doesn't mean this doesn't happen. I called mine the other day due to the sale. He told me in no uncertain terms that I could not get OBC since the final payment had been made. I told him that many on the CC board had gotten them after final payment. He emailed me and told me he tried everything, but the answer is still no. It is not that much so I'm not pursuing it further. However, after booking with him for the last 4 cruises, I will not use him in the future.

Booking thru a PVP doesn't mean this doesn't happen. I called mine the other day due to the sale. He told me in no uncertain terms that I could not get OBC since the final payment had been made. I told him that many on the CC board had gotten them after final payment. He emailed me and told me he tried everything, but the answer is still no. It is not that much so I'm not pursuing it further. However, after booking with him for the last 4 cruises, I will not use him in the future.

You should have gotten an OBC no matter what. That's when you have to ask for a supervisor because some of those PVP's be trying to get over on people that really don't know

I'll never understand why you get a different answer (to the OBC question) each time you call. I have yet to book directly with carnival. I normally book with one of my 2 TA (one for groups and one for solo cruises). They are both great and are willing to follow up on any information that I get here on CC (good or bad):p

You would not get a OBC due to the sale. If you read the fine print, it normally says the sale prices can not be applied to existing bookings, or something to that effect.

You would not get a OBC due to the sale. If you read the fine print, it normally says the sale prices can not be applied to existing bookings, or something to that effect.

This is true, BUT if you are in the period where you can cancel without penalty, they will usually give you the new price because if not you just cancel and rebook anyway.

I have rcvd 3 OBC's for my cruise coming up. They told me after the 2nd that that would be the last. But, when I worded my request for the 3rd in a nice manner, they came through.

A few years ago a TA offered to meeti me part way on a 2nd OBC, instead of the $75, the offered me $50. I was ok with this as they have to spend time on the phone to work these things out.

Its up to the TA if they ask or not, that's why so many advise you to discuss this with any TA BEFORE booking, not when you want a OBC.

My TA discounts, and said no more price drops, but they did agree to getting me upgraded, better than nothing. I would keep asking and if they refuse get them to upgrade you for the extra money, rather than getting nothing. You cant make them do anything, thats the disadvantage to booking with a TA. Its at their discretion.

Usually a carnival person, I am going on a 12day RCL cruise 12/21...Over the past 3 weeks, I have called multiple times - sometimes twice a day - getting a total of $4000 off (two rooms). Sometimes when I call they say no; I'm polite; say thank you and ask to speak with someone higher. They ALWAYS honor the price decrease stated on their web site if you can prove it and are persistent. This morning I only called to switch my rooms and the agent even said to me "you know, you should watch the prices and call us if they go down...we'll refund you no problem" I've never tried this with Carnival (12 cruises) - ignorance I suppose - never knew I could - but I must say I am impressed with RCL...and if Carnival is giving you a hard time after final payment I will have to rethink booking them. And thanks to my cruise critic friends for telling me about it...I owe you all!

Thanks to all for your replies. So far, I have gotten nowhere. Carnival refuses to deal w/me, only my TA who won't even respond to my emails. This particular online agency does not have supervisors or any chain of command so to speak. I did get someone who said she "would call Carnival, but really could'nt do anything because she was not my TA". Big help that was. Basically I'm out $164, but as of this morning, the rate has gone up. I'm done trying to change things, but I did learn that I have to do my homwork and ask more questions BEFORE booking w/anyone.

.and if Carnival is giving you a hard time after final payment I will have to rethink booking them.

OP is not saying Carnival is giving her a hard time. OP is saying her TA is not responding and getting her the price drop. If you book thru a TA, the cruiseline will not respond to you, you cant call them directly. This applies equally to RCL.

Hi, neighbor! Go Redwings!24.giff?id=10595

You MAY be able to get more than one OBC. I had 2 price drops before final payment. It reduced the amount of my final payment. The price dropped again after final payment, but my Carnival PVP suggested I wait till the beginning of December in case it drops again. Since final payment has been made she cannot make any change and it would go to her supervisor. He or she may only approve one more price drop (as an OBC).

I would still try again and insist your TA check with Carnival again. That's one reason I go through a PVP at Carnival. I started as a past guest because it was cheaper than military at the time (very unusual). I kept checking and it was military that was lower so she switched mine to military. She's been very accommodating.

Hi Sparky 2. I have the same situation. I posted a few minutes ago. When are you going? I booked last week for Nov 30. I booked balcony guarantee & now senior rate is $40 cheaper. Called PVP & he said he didn't know if I could get OBC (already got shareholder credit, but now you can get both). He said he would talk to supervisor. Should I push the issue if he says no?

Archived