?(No) Trays in Lido

GeriatricNurse

I read on another thread this morning that they will be delivering room service on a silver tray that they will be taking with them upon delivery.
That's what I heard as well. Someone on our roll call emailed me to suggest that I might want to bring a tray from home if not having one will be a problem for me. She called HAL and was told that room service will no longer be leaving the trays when they deliver the orders.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Or just one, with a large tray of his own.

Bingo!

That's exactly how I think HAL is planning to handle this.

They're not about to take away the trays without having something better in place. I think we're all getting upset about nothing here.

Frankly, I think the reason HAL is doing away with the trays is perhaps because they are difficult to adequately clean before reuse during the same mealtime. They could sometimes run low on them, and have to quickly get clean ones back on the serving line without them being thoroughly disinfected by running them through the washers. Maybe they have to just be cleaned manually in that case, and the cleaning is not as thorough as it should be. This could very well be a contributing factor in noro-virus outbreaks and maybe that's why HAL wants to eliminate this potential problem. So by doing away with individual passenger trays, and then giving the stewards large trays that are only used for the purpose of delivering food to the tables might actually be a very good idea.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Regardless of not having a tray, pick up everything you need for your breakfast or lunch or whatever as you move along the serving line. You need bread? Put that on a plate. Then get your eggs, pancakes, waffles or whatever ... on another plate. A bowel of fruit? Add that in there too. Just keep pushing everything down the serving line.

But part of the appeal of not having trays is that they are trying to break up the "serving line" to go more in favor of "stations". On the Oosterdam in Dec they purposely had small standards, for lack of a better word, in the middle of what used to be the "serving line". So you want fruit, go for it, no reason to start at the bread end.

My wife is a crossword adict and packs a metal clipboard in her suitcase to hold the puzzle. Everytime she goes through airport security they make her open her suitcase because the xrays don't go through the clipboard. The metal looks like something is being hidden.

I suggest that if you need to go through security and want to pack a tray you get a plastic tray. Target has one for just a few dollars That is what we will do. If HAL has not done away with trays will just throw it away. We are cruising in September.

But part of the appeal of not having trays is that they are trying to break up the "serving line" to go more in favor of "stations". On the Oosterdam in Dec they purposely had small standards, for lack of a better word, in the middle of what used to be the "serving line". So you want fruit, go for it, no reason to start at the bread end.
I'm glad they are placing the "standards" there now. HAL's serving line was never meant to go through from one end to the other. It's just that a lot of people don't realize that. I've always popped in and out, taking what I needed, and got some looks from people ... as though to say, "you're butting into the line!" I had to tell this one woman, "you know, you don't have to wait at the egg station if you don't want eggs. If you want pancakes, just go get in the line for that. No need to wait at every station when all you need is something from just one." But now maybe HAL is trying to make this clearer.

Blue skies ...

--rita

My wife is a crossword adict and packs a metal clipboard in her suitcase to hold the puzzle. Everytime she goes through airport security they make her open her suitcase because the xrays don't go through the clipboard. The metal looks like something is being hidden.

I suggest that if you need to go through security and want to pack a tray you get a plastic tray. Target has one for just a few dollars That is what we will do. If HAL has not done away with trays will just throw it away. We are cruising in September.

Please stick in bible. Kind of a "Pay It Forward" to the next guest in your cabin.

69197223_ph4.jpg

Bingo!

That's exactly how I think HAL is planning to handle this.

They're not about to take away the trays without having something better in place. I think we're all getting upset about nothing here.

Frankly, I think the reason HAL is doing away with the trays is perhaps because they are difficult to adequately clean before reuse during the same mealtime. They could sometimes run low on them, and have to quickly get clean ones back on the serving line without them being thoroughly disinfected by running them through the washers. Maybe they have to just be cleaned manually in that case, and the cleaning is not as thorough as it should be. This could very well be a contributing factor in noro-virus outbreaks and maybe that's why HAL wants to eliminate this potential problem. So by doing away with individual passenger trays, and then giving the stewards large trays that are only used for the purpose of delivering food to the tables might actually be a very good idea.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Rita,

Thanks ! :cool:

Most of us here have stated that the trayless Lido could be offset by having more Stewards to assist those that need it. Especially if they are at the ready with a large service tray, even better ! :)

There is just the suspicion that HAL won't follow through.

After all, additional Stewards must be much more expensive than a few plastic trays. ;)

Silver trays for breakfast sounds nice.

None of us needs the actual drama of sneaking a room service tray and hiding it every day, not to mention the image of toting a tray through the halls and elevators both to and fro.

We need more voices of reason like yours on this thread, :D

r.

............Most of us here have stated that the trayless Lido could be offset by having more Stewards to assist those that need it. Especially if they are at the ready with a large service tray, even better ! :)

There is just the suspicion that HAL won't follow through.

After all, additional Stewards must be much more expensive than a few plastic trays. ;)

This is it in a nutshell and while I know that many of us have tried to say this in several different ways throughout this very long thread, it really is the whole point in a nutshell.

It's not the elimination of the trays that is necessarily the problem ... it's the lack of forethought and possibly the follow through that often occurs in these changes that HAL and other cruise lines put in place. They seem to wait for the fallout, see what it is and then see if they can fix it. Just seems a little backwards to me.

Totally agree that most people do not know how to use the buffet line properly. They "properly" wait in line even if what they want is way at the other end of the line. Think a design change would solve a lot of the problem in the Lido!

I'm glad they are placing the "standards" there now. HAL's serving line was never meant to go through from one end to the other. It's just that a lot of people don't realize that. I've always popped in and out, taking what I needed, and got some looks from people ... as though to say, "you're butting into the line!" I had to tell this one woman, "you know, you don't have to wait at the egg station if you don't want eggs. If you want pancakes, just go get in the line for that. No need to wait at every station when all you need is something from just one." But now maybe HAL is trying to make this clearer.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Rita,

Once again you provide us with more reasonable thought. ;)

I just got off the Eurodam and the Lido food service line did seem much more "station like". Though the long tray slider shelf is still there and used by many.

It was also very easy to walk along past the entire line (with your tray, of course) and just pick up the various items you wanted OR wait for the cooked-to-order service or if it is a "plated" dish. :)

But don't get me wrong, the Lido is blessedly NOTHING like the messy, chaotic food "stations" of Princess. :eek:

Also there were still the usual "specialty" separate station-like zones for Pasta, Asian, Omelets, etc.

And I am very pleased to report back that the Lido staff, especially those behind the counter cooking or plating were excellent. Efficient, quick, and attentive, BRAVO ! :)

ALSO: The previously reported Dining Room service problems from the earliest cruises seem to be solved and up to the best of HAL standards.

r.

This is it in a nutshell and while I know that many of us have tried to say this in several different ways throughout this very long thread, it really is the whole point in a nutshell.

It's not the elimination of the trays that is necessarily the problem ... it's the lack of forethought and possibly the follow through that often occurs in these changes that HAL and other cruise lines put in place. They seem to wait for the fallout, see what it is and then see if they can fix it. Just seems a little backwards to me.

Heather,

Thank you very much for the reaffirmation. :D

Civility is a far too scarce a quality. ;)

r.

I must admit that this thread has put me on the floor rolling around with laughter. Perhaps it says something about HA customers (of which I am one) that they would post more than 600 msgs about trays! Most other cruise lines eliminated trays years ago. They are a health hazzard, they enable folks to spend too long in buffet lines (as in, how many things can I pile on my tray), and they are an unnecessary waste of resources (hot water, dish washers, etc). And there is another point. If you ever stop to look at the waist lines of those on ships (and land) that might make the best statement of getting rid of trays that encourages folks to take more than they need. For those that cannot handle the trauma of no trays..perhaps they should eat in the dining room!

Hank

I must admit that this thread has put me on the floor rolling around with laughter. Perhaps it says something about HA customers (of which I am one) that they would post more than 600 msgs about trays! Most other cruise lines eliminated trays years ago. They are a health hazzard, they enable folks to spend too long in buffet lines (as in, how many things can I pile on my tray), and they are an unnecessary waste of resources (hot water, dish washers, etc). And there is another point. If you ever stop to look at the waist lines of those on ships (and land) that might make the best statement of getting rid of trays that encourages folks to take more than they need. For those that cannot handle the trauma of no trays..perhaps they should eat in the dining room!

Hank

Well Hank, this thread is certainly a lot better than flamer threads about smoking, dress codes, tipping, chair hogs and diapered toddlers in the pools.

And because my suggestion has now been buried deep in this thread, I'll repeat it.

If a tray is essential to your enjoyment of a cruise, why not just pack one or two and you'll be all set. And the tray in your luggage provides a little extra protection for the contents.

And if you don't want to lug it back home, you can just leave it behind or give it to another passenger who needs it to enhance his or her cruise.

(This discussion reminds me of the woman on a recent flight from SF to LA who raised holy bejeebers because there was no coffee being served on board (the coffee maker was malfunctioning). The way she was carrying on suggested that the absence of coffee was a life altering experience that would leave her scarred for life.)

They are a health hazzard, they enable folks to spend too long in buffet lines (as in, how many things can I pile on my tray), and they are an unnecessary waste of resources (hot water, dish washers, etc).

And that, there, is exactly the reason that I am willing to bet HAL is doing away with the trays. They are a health hazard and probably go a long way in promoting the spread of noro-virus on the ships.

When HAL opens up the Lido buffet in the morning, or sets it up for lunch or dinner, they have a fresh stack of trays all ready to go. These trays have been washed in their high speed dishwashers using scalding hot water to kill any germs on them. However, as the serving line has been open for a while, and the trays are running low, sometimes the staff has to "quick and dirty" get some more clean trays out to the beginning of the buffet line. So what do they do? Stewards wipe down used trays with a damp cloth or maybe even an alcohol wipe. It gets them clean, but not necessarily disinfected ... but it's the best they can do. There is no time to run them through the dishwashers.

That's why trays are not a good idea, especially on ships, and it's why most buffets on land did away with them years ago. Frankly, I'm surprised HAL didn't do this a long time ago as well.

I honestly don't see this lack of trays to be a big problem. True, it may represent an inconvenience to some passengers, but personally I would rather be a bit inconvenienced than spend three or four days of my cruise sick in bed with a stomach virus. The lack of trays is no big deal. If one needs a bit of help, there are always stewards around more than happy to provide that. If the lack of a tray is really that big of a deal ... perhaps for a mobility-challenged passenger, or someone who needs to pick up the food for multiple family members ... why not just go to the dining room instead, where you can sit and relax and have everything brought right to you?

Frankly, I don't think a Lido venue was ever designed for severely handicapped passengers or for those managing multiple young children. There are better places to dine for people in those circumstances.

Blue skies ...

--rita

(This discussion reminds me of the woman on a recent flight from SF to LA who raised holy bejeebers because there was no coffee being served on board (the coffee maker was malfunctioning). The way she was carrying on suggested that the absence of coffee was a life altering experience that would leave her scarred for life.)

SF to LA? How long a flight was that? Maybe 45 minutes or so? And not having coffee was that big a deal? :)

LOL ... she should have been on my most recent flights. I had to pay a buck for a cup of coffee. That was a first.

Blue skies ...

--rita

SF to LA? How long a flight was that? Maybe 45 minutes or so? And not having coffee was that big a deal? :)

LOL ... she should have been on my most recent flights. I had to pay a buck for a cup of coffee. That was a first.

Blue skies ...

--rita

About a 50-55 minute flight. With a 15 minute climb out and a 15 minutes descend, that leaves about 20-25 minutes to provide a beverage service in the cabin. If the coffee is hot, gooooooooood luck!;)

hairy-back-omg-96.jpg

This couple has sat in front of us for many years at the Nascar track in Talladega Alabama. What`s missing from this pic is the #3 tatoo on the back of the ladies head. She wore a buzz cut for a few years. Actually they are a nice couple.

This appears to be Martinsville VA. or Bristol Tn

Rich

... why not just go to the dining room instead, where you can sit and relax and have everything brought right to you?
It's been said several times already: the dining room hours and selections are very limited compared to the Lido. Some days it is not even open for lunch. And, IMO, it is usually too slow. "Sit and relax" is often not what I want.

On our last Westerdam Cruise I had a conversation with the cruise director regarding the trays. He says it is mainly to cut down on waste. And yes waste costs money, so that is also a good reason for HAL

With a tray people tend to overload their dishes and not eat everything. Lots of food gets tossed away.

I have to agree with this and didn't have a problem at the Lido. For breakfast I would grab a juice and bowl of fruit. After I finish that, I would get a plate of hot food. In the meantime one of the steward would come by and provide a cup of coffee.

No trays, no problem at all.

Funny, today I asked my DH what he thought about not having trays on our Westerdam cruise. He didn't think it was an issue at all. He said he sure didn't miss the trays, and commented that nobody was spilling food or dropping plates.

He has no idea how heated this topic has been, since he doesn't visit CC. He just cruises a lot, and has a great time, evidently with or without trays in the Lido. :)

Please, nobody flame him, because he won't even see your response, and what fun would that be for the flamer?:rolleyes:

Archived