Cruising w/ Babies

Kris1114

[quote name='rlj1010']I would have to say, yes it does, because it sounds like you automatically assume every parent is a bad parent.[/quote]

You assumed also lol ;)

I'm with Bull on this one... Its just that the 'bad' parents stand out more than the attentive ones...

I applaud this family! So well planned!

The first cruise we ever went on we went with friends who had 2 children. We have one. Our child and their oldest were both 5 BUT they also had one under a year old. Their experience and ours were totally different. Our cruise was the most enjoyable, relaxing vacation for our entire family. Our DD and theirs went to the kids programming quite a bit, we had alone time, one on one time, and family time, especially enjoying dinner where we all got to talk about the experiences of the day. They just never got a moments peace. The oldest was fine but the little one was used to a schedule and her own bed. They couldn't even have dinner without the baby crying because she was sleepy or hungry or whatever. They had to pay for daycare when they could actually get it which was only once or twice during our 4 day cruise. This was on DCL when they first introduced the Wonder. They couldn't do the shows, relax around the pool, or pretty much anything we could. I decided at that time, if we were to have another, that I wouldn't take a baby on a cruise until they were at least 3 years old and potty trained! That's what DCL requires for their kids programming- which is amazingly wonderful :] My DD is 17 now and my DH and I are taking our first CCL trip for our 19th anniversary minus our DD. I would leave the baby with the grandparents. They could get a little grandbaby time and you and your DH could get some much needed rest and relaxtion + a little more ;]

[quote name='AnimalNanny'][B]My wife and I cruised on RCCL in Feb, 2004 with our first son at 6 months old. [/B]

There was no children's club for his age range at that time. And he couldn't be in the pools.

Babysitting was in-cabin at that time. And the children had to be 2 years old to qualify. But we still hired babysitters for two evenings. Here's what we did. We went to the purser's desk and filled out the babysitting request. [B]Under age, [COLOR=black]we lied[/COLOR] and said "2 years". When the babysitter showed up, we informed her of the truth and gave her the option of backing out.[/B] She didn't back out. She could do the job and she wanted the money. In fact, the babysitter we had the first night, repeated the second night we hired a sitter.

If you want to cruise with your infant child, I say go ahead. We did, and we recommend it.[/quote]

How arrogant! For you to think that YOU gave the babysitter the "option". The sitter could have been fired for doing this.

Sure it was arrogant. That's why she was willing to babysit again a couple of nights later. We were so cruel!

We told her that if the age was a problem, she could turn down the job and we would still compensate her for her time. She laughed it off, saying that she had taken care of neices that were the same age, and had no problem with it.

And our son was asleep within 20 minutes of us leaving.

I figured it shouldn't be a big deal. There were staff members around the ship who said they would be happy to be our babysitter. And they knew the rules. They must have been volunteering to lose their jobs for our arrogance! :)

Hi, we just got off a cruise in November. We left our 20mon at home with grandma after finding out that he was to young for the day care area. we saw lots of people with their babies and they all wish they would have left the kids at home. they couldn't go to the shows, or enjoy the pool. They also couldn't enjoy supper. I missed my son but i did enjoy our cruise and we are looking to take him on our next cruise when he is over 2 yrs old.
I do hope you have fun. maybe bring a baby sitter to watch the child at night or while your off the ship.

The bucket people (I hope ;)) weren't referring to the ice bucket from the cabin. On the Family board, we tell parents to get a [B]disposable[/B] plastic bucket from the bar if they didn't bring a play bucket with them.

So no ice buckets. Only disposable buckets (like ones that hold the buckets of beer)

[B]Animal Nanny[/B] - the in cabin sitting didn't have an age limit. It recently (within the past year) went to a year old minimum. Maybe you were mistaken or told misinformation? But the in cabin sitting has always been for very young children, and yes that meant 6 month olds. ;)

On the new RCL ships, (Oasis and Allure) there will be a nursery for children 6 months and older.

[quote name='Kris1114']Ok, so some of you may think I'm crazy for considering this, but in everyone's opinion, is it a terrible idea to bring a 8 month old baby on a cruise? I had a baby girl in August, & both my husband & I are dying for a cruise. We need to get away!

Was thinking of the short Sensation 4 day (with all the new renovations:) in May, which would make the baby 8 months old. Olivia is a happy, smiley baby, who is easily consoled when upset (Finally! It wasn't always like that:). We thought we would take one of the new 98 balcony rooms. This way, if confined to the room (since she is too young to my knowledge for babysitting), we could get drinks, food whatever, & listen to music (at a reasonable volume:) on the balcony.

Am I nuts? (Please say no, ha! ha!)

Kristin[/quote]

I think you are wonderful for considering it. We took my daughter last march on her first cruise which was a 7-day. She was one month shy of 2. She did fine. I know your little one is a bit younger but you know your child and what to do to console her. A lot of people thought I was crazy for taking my daughter but i feel it's her vacation too. It's simply your choice. Of course it would be easier not to have to look after a child, but you have a child and make memories with her! I would constantly wonder how she was if I left her somewhere. Even if you spend most of the time on the balcony...it's vacation! Just bring plenty sunscreen, hats, glasses, etc.
Book it and have fun!

hmm I have always vacationed since the kids were young. Not on cruise ships mind you. Sometimes we were frazzled other times we made great memories why would cruising be much different than other times going on vacation, and I am asking this honestly.

[quote name='crusinmama06']The bucket people (I hope ;)) weren't referring to the ice bucket from the cabin. On the Family board, we tell parents to get a [B]disposable[/B] plastic bucket from the bar if they didn't bring a play bucket with them.

So no ice buckets. Only disposable buckets (like ones that hold the buckets of beer)

[/quote]

Buckets of beer or ice buckets same thing........
The buckets they use for beer.........they use over and over again......
Not a good idea...
Maybe bring your own bucket;)

[quote name='crusinmama06'][B]Animal Nanny[/B] - the in cabin sitting didn't have an age limit. It recently (within the past year) went to a year old minimum. Maybe you were mistaken or told misinformation? But the in cabin sitting has always been for very young children, and yes that meant 6 month olds. ;)[/QUOTE]

The cruise where we took our 6-month old son was in Feb 2004. On the RCCL website at that time, it said that in-room sitting was for children 2 and older. On the form we filled out at the purser's desk requesting a sitter, it specified the children must be at least 2.

Policies change over time as cruise lines adjust to their passengers' needs. And, unfortunately, I don't have the docs from nearly 5 years ago to prove it, but the policy was definitely 2 years old on that ship at that time.

[quote name='Kurbanfan']Buckets of beer or ice buckets same thing........
The buckets they use for beer.........they use over and over again......
Not a good idea...
Maybe bring your own bucket;)[/quote]

Well if the parent takes it and throws it away, then it won't be reused. ;)

But yes, I agree that bringing their own bucket is the [I]best[/I] way to do it.

I was on Sensation when the pool was shut down because a parent thought it was perfectly fine for little Suzie to poop in the pool. So my kids (who havent been in diapers in years) had to miss out on swimming on their only sea day because the pool was shut down. :eek:

And the crew said nada about babies in the pool. So if letting them have a plastic bucket (and then throwing that bucket away) prevents the pool from being shut down an entire sea day...then I am all for it. :D

Wow. I'm surprised and not in a good way at the number of basically selfish comments here.

I just think that the attitude "it's your vacation; do whatever you want" is fundamentally incorrect. It would be solely "your vacation" if you were in a cabin in the woods totally by yourselves. But, on a cruise you're sharing your vacation time and space with thousands of other people! Have we forgotten basic rules of manners and courtesy? Respect for other people?

This is the dark side of the "ME" generation; the attitude that whatever I want is OK because it's what I want.... Sorry, but this is just a pet peeve of mine.

[quote name='Cruise_Monkey']Wow. I'm surprised and not in a good way at the number of basically selfish comments here.

I just think that the attitude "it's your vacation; do whatever you want" is fundamentally incorrect. It would be solely "your vacation" if you were in a cabin in the woods totally by yourselves. But, on a cruise you're sharing your vacation time and space with thousands of other people! Have we forgotten basic rules of manners and courtesy? Respect for other people?

This is the dark side of the "ME" generation; the attitude that whatever I want is OK because it's what I want.... Sorry, but this is just a pet peeve of mine.[/quote]

Its so funny in a way, kids or no kids, we all want to have fun....I have been in hotels and planes where crying children drove me nuts....But who I felt worse for was the parents....As a parent you are always being judged.....I went on my first cruise ever on the Valor with both my kids, granted they were a lot older.....There were times I wish I left them home...and there times I was soooo glad they were with me....It IS a different vacation. I always call a " vacation" with the boys a trip....and without them a vacation. Funny though how people think just cause they left there kids at home or dont have them....there entitled to a pass on kids...I know there are bad parents out there.....But hey these kids are our future...Lets train them right <grin>....After all we ARE raising future CC members............

[quote name='Cruise_Monkey']Wow. I'm surprised and not in a good way at the number of basically selfish comments here.

This is the dark side of the "ME" generation; the attitude that whatever I want is OK because it's what I want.... Sorry, but this is just a pet peeve of mine.[/quote]

I am totally with this person on what they are saying!!!!!!!!!! I say go ahead and take your little one. My son was just bearly 2 when we took our first cruise on the Miracle and he still remembers it and better yet made it memorable for us. I will not ever forget the looks me made when he first saw the ship and for several things that went on. Plus our first taste of escargo and he ate like 4 plates of it and we had to stop him from eatting them. I feel that it is every parents right to bring their child on vacations. If you do not want to see them then try an all inclusive vacation or a cruise that has just adults. Why even have children when you can not enjoy them and take them places. Because then they learn how to behave in public. For me going on vacation without a person in my family would mean me not having a great time because I would be thinking about my kids the whole time. As a matter of fact I am taking my just turning one year old (shes one moth now) but when we go on the Fascination next year she will be 1 year old for her 1st birthday. I can not wait! There are things you can do as a family and enjoy yourself. Yeah there are things that would be nice to do just as adults and no children but maybe you can take extra family members so you can trade back and forth babysitting time. Thats usually what we do. Take turns you one night then me with the family members. Thats how to get the best of both worlds.

[quote name='crusinmama06']
But yes, I agree that bringing their own bucket is the [I]best[/I] way to do it.
[/QUOTE]

Yup, this is what we were planning on doing! I don't know who in their right mind would use the ice bucket!

Honestly, I'd be lost with out Michelle and the family cruising board, they're so helpful and informative. I've even gotten the duck tub!! :D

My friend and her husband took their 3 year old on their 25th anniversary cruise rather than leave him home with family. She said they never ate in the dining room and they never saw a show since they put him to bed at 8 every night. I asked her how that was an anniversary trip? She of course said she couldn't leave him. Now, this is their third child. Their older two were teenagers at the time so it's not like she was new to parenting or anything and they left them at home. I left my son when he was 7 months old with my parents and went to Europe to visit my DH when he was deployed with the Navy. He's now 25 and it didn't ruin his life and he certainly doesn't remember it and DH and I remember having a great time touring Paris. DH and I just shake our heads when people refuse to take a screaming child out of a situation. You will not hurt a child's self esteem or break their spirit by disciplining them. If anything you teach them to respect others and to be self-confident adults who think of someone besides themselves. Simple really.

[quote name='mcginniscruisers']I am totally with this person on what they are saying!!!!!!!!!! I say go ahead and take your little one. My son was just bearly 2 when we took our first cruise on the Miracle and he still remembers it and better yet made it memorable for us. I will not ever forget the looks me made when he first saw the ship and for several things that went on. Plus our first taste of escargo and he ate like 4 plates of it and we had to stop him from eatting them. I feel that it is every parents right to bring their child on vacations. If you do not want to see them then try an all inclusive vacation or a cruise that has just adults. Why even have children when you can not enjoy them and take them places. Because then they learn how to behave in public. For me going on vacation without a person in my family would mean me not having a great time because I would be thinking about my kids the whole time. As a matter of fact I am taking my just turning one year old (shes one moth now) but when we go on the Fascination next year she will be 1 year old for her 1st birthday. I can not wait! There are things you can do as a family and enjoy yourself. Yeah there are things that would be nice to do just as adults and no children but maybe you can take extra family members so you can trade back and forth babysitting time. Thats usually what we do. Take turns you one night then me with the family members. Thats how to get the best of both worlds.[/quote]

So now I have to wonder if you are thinking straight. The post you said you agree with was talking about the selfishness of oblivious parents who think of nobody but themselves. You say it is every parents right to bring their kids on vacation and that is true but we also have every right to go on vacation and not be bugged by someone's precious little darling screaming the whole trip. You telling us to go somewhere else is just as rude and selfish as one of us telling you to not bring your kids.

It is amazing to me how society has evolved. Instead of being a polite and courteous society we have devolved into an entitlement society that goes by the basic mantra hooray for me, screw you. Why can't YOU go to an all-inclusive resort? Why can't YOU go on a Disney cruise where the entire thing is centered around your little ones? Why does it seem every time and any time somebody complains about a bad parent's hellion they are labelled a kid hater and flamed?

Our society has become so kid-centric that a lot of kids truly believe they are the center of the universe. We made sure our kids knew they were the center of our universe (after our relationship), but not the center of everyone else's. We have raised two wonderful, respectful, responsible young men as a result. They open doors for other people and are very courteous. At 22 and 25 they truly can't believe some parents are as selfish as they seem. I would have never have assumed that everyone else wanted to listen to my child screaming.

[quote name='BND']Our society has become so kid-centric that a lot of kids truly believe they are the center of the universe. We made sure our kids knew they were the center of our universe (after our relationship), but not the center of everyone else's. We have raised two wonderful, respectful, responsible young men as a result. They open doors for other people and are very courteous. At 22 and 25 they truly can't believe some parents are as selfish as they seem. I would have never have assumed that everyone else wanted to listen to my child screaming.[/quote]

That is why you have two wonderful, respectful, responsible young men! :D

I don't have kids...but I can't imagine wanting to take such a young child on a cruise...or any other vacation for that matter. It's like seeing those parents at an amusement park on a 90 degree sunny day pushing that hot, miserable baby in the stroller. She won't ever even know that you left her at home with her Grandma...adn how special will Grandma feel for having her grandbaby all to herself? And you do need time alone as a couple. And what memories are going to be created excpet for "Oh, we wanted to do that but we had ____ with us and she needed a nap..or it would have been difficult getting her in there because they didn't allow strollers"....or whatever. Take her when she's old enough to know what a vacation is.

Just my thoughts on this, but if a baby gets sick on a cruise (think norovirus) it's really easy for a baby to dehydrate and need iv fluids, I'd be really afraid to take my infant on a cruiseship, it's just my 2 cents worth but it's pretty close quarters for 3,000 people and with the staff being from many different countries there may be even more chance for an exposure that a little baby doesn't have immunity to.

Whatever you decide , good luck!!!

Carole

The only selfish people I see are this thread are the ones saying that parents should go to Disney World or to an All Inclusive for a vacation since the mere sight of a child on a ship would throw some of you in a tizzy. :eek:

I haven't seen ANY parents on this thread say "Let your baby cry. It's YOUR vacation"

How do you know the baby will be crying? How do you know that this parent won't remove the baby from the situation if the child does cry?

This is the Carnival board folks. This is not a high end cruise line that frowns upon bringing kids. What kind of ship do you think you are cruising? :confused:

The poster was asking about Sensation. The ship where $139pp gets you on the ship. Do you think you won't be joined by at least 800 kids?

Some of you need to look in the mirror before you start throwing words like "selfish" around. If these parents were so selfish, then they wouldn't be asking your opinion on how to bring a child on a cruise. They would just bring the child onboard and not worry about what you people think.

Cruising is the best vacation that any family can have. The trend is moving toward even family friendlier ships. Carnival is adding in the Water Works. Royal Caribbean added in the Splash Zones, Family Library and now a nursery on Oasis. Did they do this so that the families can go and spend their money at All Inclusives?

Ok, so some of you may think I'm crazy for considering this, but in everyone's opinion, is it a terrible idea to bring a 8 month old baby on a cruise? I had a baby girl in August, & both my husband & I are dying for a cruise. We need to get away!

Was thinking of the short Sensation 4 day (with all the new renovations:) in May, which would make the baby 8 months old. Olivia is a happy, smiley baby, who is easily consoled when upset (Finally! It wasn't always like that:). We thought we would take one of the new 98 balcony rooms. This way, if confined to the room (since she is too young to my knowledge for babysitting), we could get drinks, food whatever, & listen to music (at a reasonable volume:) on the balcony.

Am I nuts? (Please say no, ha! ha!)

Kristin

Yes, you are. :) How much fun do you think you will have with a baby? Forget partying. You'll be in with Olivia at night. I understand needing to get away. Leave her with family and have a great time with your hubby. Your marriage will thank you for it.

LOL! We just had this conversation with our kids the other day. They are going to try for my first grandchild late spring of next year........

Although we are all cruiseoholics. We all cruise and do Vegas together every year.......we all agreed no cruises or Vegas with kidlet......we will be doing more Hawaii trips in a condo...........:)

We also don't feel we need to expose our youngin to the many germs in such a tight setting from around the world..........

Kidet eh...... Using that term one might think you listen to..... you know...

Yes, you are. :) How much fun do you think you will have with a baby? Forget partying. You'll be in with Olivia at night. I understand needing to get away. Leave her with family and have a great time with your hubby. Your marriage will thank you for it.

I would not have been able to leave my daughter and go on a vacation without her when she was little. I did, however, wait till she was about seven before we did a vacation. I still will not leave her at home and she is 20. My husband would stay at home before she would!

Archived