Cruising w/ Babies

Kris1114

i will be going on a cruise on feb 1st with my family, including my nephew who was born on june 23rd. im very excited about it and we arent worried at all. we take him out to eat alot to get him used to the dining room and my sister plans on buying a mini inflatable pool for him to use on te lido deck. shell prob post more when she sees this thread...

OP mentioned getting a balcony, fine if you want to blow up a baby pool, but if you put it anywhere Iv seen on the Lido deck expect to annoy everyone. There is no extra space between pools except walkways. I know my sister has balance problems and kind of sways from side to side even with her cane. She can barely get thru the Lido deck the way it is. Dont assume everyone is able just because you are and doesnt need the walkway space. ..... and there is no other space unless you are moving clear to the aft pool where it isnt so crowded, but Im assuming you want to get right where the main pool is?

you do realize when at dinner there are no high chairs, booster seats (are the cruise ships telling us something here ) so if you like holding your child while eating your meal. also unless you have the cat. 11 or cat. 12 suite, it is showers only. the sink is real small on no counter to the side, so giving a bath will be a challenge. i am with the poster than mentioned the germs thing. every tom, dick, and harry may want to touch the baby, as people do and goodness knows where their hands have been. go for it, i wouldn't do it. we took my grandson at 21 mons. old, but had a support system of 2 parents and 2 grandparents. only because my husband (worlds best grandpaw) would have to hold him for meals... the table level sucked for a little toddler. so he in his tux with a kid on his lap eating lobster, prime rib, etc, etc. not sure he thought it was the best idea(like the new grandparent posted about his new "kidlets", no cruising for awhile)

I've seen high chairs on all three of my cruises and we used them on our last cruise both in the dining room and in the buffet.

We took our 14 month old and had a blast. Not sure about an 8 month old, but as long as you have realistic expectations, you will be fine.

There are plenty of spots to put the baby pool without annoying people. I assume you don't want the pool in a high traffic area anyways.

Someone I know just got off a HAL ship where Noro ran rampant.

Just a nice reminder why bringing a young baby wouldn't be something I'd do.

there are way too many ways a baby could get sick. When you're home with a baby, you always do your best to keep them from being exposed to too much, but at least at home, you have the confidence in knowing you are close to good medical attention if need be.

On a ship, you are SOL.

NO WAY worth the risk IMO.

They're not listening.:cool:

OP mentioned getting a balcony, fine if you want to blow up a baby pool, but if you put it anywhere Iv seen on the Lido deck expect to annoy everyone. There is no extra space between pools except walkways. I know my sister has balance problems and kind of sways from side to side even with her cane. She can barely get thru the Lido deck the way it is. Dont assume everyone is able just because you are and doesnt need the walkway space. ..... and there is no other space unless you are moving clear to the aft pool where it isnt so crowded, but Im assuming you want to get right where the main pool is?

I just wanted to be out on the deck with my family. The aft pool is what we were thinking would work, either that or on a higher level where there are few people. I was in a wheelchair in my last cruise and am more than aware of how difficult it can be to maneuver, especially since it is looking like I will need my cane for this cruise. :o

I just wanted to be out on the deck with my family. The aft pool is what we were thinking would work, either that or on a higher level where there are few people. I was in a wheelchair in my last cruise and am more than aware of how difficult it can be to maneuver, especially since it is looking like I will need my cane for this cruise. :o

thanks. Im glad to hear that you all will try to put it somewhere where its not in the way. I often have to hang onto my sister, she is that unsteady, and thru the Lido deck pool area, its often pretty impossible at best to walk two abreast.

We took our daughter on two cruises in her first year and next week she will be going on her 4th in less then two years. Each cruise has been great and all the crew was so helpfull. We have always had high chairs available for our use and the dining room even carries jarrs of baby food or will prepare special meals for them as they move up in food stages. I know people want to scare you away with the norovirus and rightfully so since it is a possibility but the same thing runs through daycares and babysitters as well. Alot of people say to leave your kids at home when you cruise but my wife and I went on 11 cruises alone and now we look forward to sharing the memories with our daughter.

I say more power to you, just make sure before you book that you will know what you are getting into, as far as having to bring supplies, food, etc. A cruise can be very relaxing but remember that you are still going to have to take care of the baby just like at home, and instead of having a house to wander in at nap time you have a cabin. Also don't forget that the ships doctors are not peditricians and not really equiped to treat ones that small if something happens.

If you are up to it go and have a good time.

We're taking our then 6 month old on a cruise in February. He's a good baby, so we feel confident it won't be too bad at all. We're easy to please, so it's what you make of it.

The ships also provides cribs, which you need to request through your TA. We plan on bringing plenty of anti-bacterial wipes/spray to combat anything that may linger in the room from previous occupants. A word of advice - get travel insurance. There is a thread on the family section from someone who has a couple lists of what to bring. Just ask, and they'll e-mail it to you.

Go for it! The nay-sayers are the ones who don't want to hear a crying baby. Obviously, you'll be limited in your shipboard activities and will spend more time then you want inside your cabin, but hey, it's better then staying at home in the snow...

We're taking our then 6 month old on a cruise in February. He's a good baby, so we feel confident it won't be too bad at all. We're easy to please, so it's what you make of it.

The ships also provides cribs, which you need to request through your TA. We plan on bringing plenty of anti-bacterial wipes/spray to combat anything that may linger in the room from previous occupants. A word of advice - get travel insurance. There is a thread on the family section from someone who has a couple lists of what to bring. Just ask, and they'll e-mail it to you.

Go for it! The nay-sayers are the ones who don't want to hear a crying baby. Obviously, you'll be limited in your shipboard activities and will spend more time then you want inside your cabin, but hey, it's better then staying at home in the snow...

Umm, NOBODY wants to hear a crying baby on vacation, OK...On my last cruise, someone had a baby in a cabin somewhere near ours. Heard it cry every now and then, not enough to complain or ruin our cruise, but it wasn't enjoyable.

Hi,

We are leaving next week on a cruise with our 9 month old, I have done all my reasearch and here are my recommandations.

Bring enough diapers, formula and baby food jars, infant tylenol and any other medication you may need because you can't get these on the ship.

We are bringing bottle water on board for her formula and also bringing a bottle warmer to heat her baby food, she is starting to eat soft food but I rather have some baby food with just in case. I'm also bringing a food mill to help puree the food in the buffet.

There are high chairs in the dining room and you can also request one for your cabin from your steward. If you don't want one for the cabin but still want to feed the baby use your stroller or car seat.

You can order room service for toast, yogurt... having a balcony is a must that way when the baby take a nap you can still enjoy your cruise by reading a book on the balcony.

We are bringing a inflatable duck tub to use to bathe her and we will also use it on our balcony as a pool.

hope this helps.

Nancy

Hi,

We are leaving next week on a cruise with our 9 month old, I have done all my reasearch and here are my recommandations.

Bring enough diapers, formula and baby food jars, infant tylenol and any other medication you may need because you can't get these on the ship.

We are bringing bottle water on board for her formula and also bringing a bottle warmer to heat her baby food, she is starting to eat soft food but I rather have some baby food with just in case. I'm also bringing a food mill to help puree the food in the buffet.

There are high chairs in the dining room and you can also request one for your cabin from your steward. If you don't want one for the cabin but still want to feed the baby use your stroller or car seat.

You can order room service for toast, yogurt... having a balcony is a must that way when the baby take a nap you can still enjoy your cruise by reading a book on the balcony.

We are bringing a inflatable duck tub to use to bathe her and we will also use it on our balcony as a pool.

hope this helps.

Nancy

Holy Moly! How much luggage are you bringing......besides the stroller, car seat, duck tub etc......:p

I just want to add.....you mentioned listening to music on your balcony.

I can tell you that would really bother me if I had the balcony next to yours. I don't believe you could have the volume low enough to not be heard on the next balcony.

I enjoy the peace and quiet of my balcony. I don't want to hear anyone's music. If I wanted to listen to music, I'd be up on Lido or at one of the clubs.

I wouldn't take an infant on a cruise. But if you're up to it and have a good idea what you're in for.....have a great time!!!!

[quote name='TomandIza']The nay-sayers are the ones who don't want to hear a crying baby.[/QUOTE]

We had a "little alarm clock" next door to us on our first cruise. Every morning that little one would start crying at 7 am, just like clockwork. Now, don't get me wrong.....it didn't ruin our cruise and I wasn't even mad about it because I am a mom with 2 grown sons, so I have empathy for tired moms and dads trying to have a family get-away. So, while I wasn't mad, I have to say I was getting a bit irritated by the end of the cruise.

But, I have to say that your statement seems a little harsh. No, I really don't want to hear a crying baby waking me up every morning when I'm on vacation. I understand that it's their vacation too, but can you understand why most of us would not want a crying baby waking us up every morning?

I'm not trying to bash people who take babies on cruises. Not saying don't take your baby. I'm simply saying that I hope I don't have to hear another crying baby on a cruise......that doesn't make me a nay-sayer, just a person who likes to sleep in on vacation. :cool:

i would love to see more babies on cruises... unless they have very bad parents that let their child scream and cry for 20 minutes without doing anything about it. and i personally feel a lil baby like that, tucked in between 2 lounge chairs is more pleasent then 15 6-8 years olds splashin me while im lounging having a drink...

[quote name='momofzeke']We had a "little alarm clock" next door to us on our first cruise. Every morning that little one would start crying at 7 am, just like clockwork. Now, don't get me wrong.....it didn't ruin our cruise and I wasn't even mad about it because I am a mom with 2 grown sons, so I have empathy for tired moms and dads trying to have a family get-away. So, while I wasn't mad, I have to say I was getting a bit irritated by the end of the cruise.

But, I have to say that your statement seems a little harsh. No, I really don't want to hear a crying baby waking me up every morning when I'm on vacation. I understand that it's their vacation too, but can you understand why most of us would not want a crying baby waking us up every morning?

I'm not trying to bash people who take babies on cruises. Not saying don't take your baby. I'm simply saying that I hope I don't have to hear another crying baby on a cruise......that doesn't make me a nay-sayer, just a person who likes to sleep in on vacation. :cool:[/QUOTE]

I would not have been happy to have that "little alarm clock" in the next cabin. Does anyone enjoy hearing a baby cry or throwing a tantrum?

[quote name='BullDogChief']You know what? You're right, I am not paying thousands of dollars to hear a crying baby for seven straight days...:rolleyes::eek:[/quote]

Its funny, I don't pay thousand of dollars to hear/watch grown adults make fools of themselves like they are children.

And I just LOVE the alarm clock I hear at 4am when the drunks are stumbling back to their cabins!

Fact is, there are 3000+ people on these cruises. Not everyone is going to have the same ideals as you. Do what you feel comfortable with.

[quote name='tbjl24']Its funny, I don't pay thousand of dollars to hear/watch grown adults make fools of themselves like they are children.

And I just LOVE the alarm clock I hear at 4am when the drunks are stumbling back to their cabins!

Fact is, there are 3000+ people on these cruises. Not everyone is going to have the same ideals as you. Do what you feel comfortable with.[/quote]

So why are you attacking me? I'm not one of those "grown" adults who get stinking drunk and act like children (your words), nor do I appreciate them either...like I said earlier I personally do not want to hear a crying baby for 7 straight days...so what? What business is that of yours to attack me over???

Archived